EmbargoLifted

Bryce Harper 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-05. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

9 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

How can someone who is so good be so bad at times? He's been one of the worst hitters in baseball since early May.

imho it's in the mentality.

I personally think he should've taken the walks when he was gettin em instead of hacking recklessly.

I'm pretty sure this same thing happened last year too which hints that this guy doesn't learn from his..."probably-bad-decisions"

I wonder if he just sat down and hammered out an extension with the Nats, this would all go away.   I know that's insane from a $$$ perspective -- and I'm not a Nats fan -- but what's it worth to get the monkey off his back and have a perfectly wealthy and outstanding -- maybe Hall of Fame -- career in Washington?

Others may disagree.  

• Like 2

As a Harper owner, I cannot sell low, but for the first time I am contemplating not playing him.  I haven't benched him yet for fear of him mashing three dingers in his return to the numbers that are on the back of his ball card.

Which means, I will continue to get his O'fers and paltry .200 BA and ultimately lose H2H in my fake league every week since since early May when the plunge began.

Yeah actually considered benching him. My luck he’ll go off on my bench but would just be glad to see him produce in that case. Depends on your options of course so bench at your own risk. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Yeah actually considered benching him. My luck he’ll go off on my bench but would just be glad to see him produce in that case. Depends on your options of course so bench at your own risk. 

Ideally, once he starts trending upward it'll continue in that direction. We're not talking about Lonnie Chisenhall here

• Like 2

On 6/24/2018 at 2:28 PM, tuesdays said:

Ideally, once he starts trending upward it'll continue in that direction. We're not talking about Lonnie Chisenhall here

Hey screw you. Lonnie Chisenhall is a saint!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/23/2018 at 9:51 PM, fingy said:

imho it's in the mentality.

I personally think he should've taken the walks when he was gettin em instead of hacking recklessly.

I'm pretty sure this same thing happened last year too which hints that this guy doesn't learn from his..."probably-bad-decisions"

Agreed, looking at the monthly game logs, it's like he decided to use a different, more aggressive approach on May 1st. It worked for a few games, but the BB rate disappeared.

2 hours ago, Yanks#1 said:

Agreed, looking at the monthly game logs, it's like he decided to use a different, more aggressive approach on May 1st. It worked for a few games, but the BB rate disappeared.

There could be a number of reasons for this shift in approach. For all we know the coaches suggested it. Half of that lineup was out with injury, maybe a more aggressive approach was needed to score runs. Who knows. He’s 4/7 with 3 walks in his last three games. I’ll take any sign of improvement lol 

In June Harper is hitting .184 with 1hr and 6rbi. I didn’t think it would ever get this bad. 

Edited by chud12

3 minutes ago, coleporter said:

So why will he command $400 million?

Because teams will look at his entire accomplishments, ability, and include the ability to sell tickets and jerseys, and not just June 2018? But you knew that.

• Like 3

He's not going to get $400 million. 

11 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Because teams will look at his entire accomplishments, ability, and include the ability to sell tickets and jerseys, and not just June 2018? But you knew that.

Entire accomplishments?  He’s had one MVP caliber season.

Has only reached 40 home runs once.  Has never reached 100 RBI’s.  Only stole over 20 bases once.  Injury prone.  Goes into slumps that make your head spin.  Terrible base runner. And let’s not forget but he’s actually one of the worst right fielders in baseball when it comes to defense.  A fact which a lot of people overlook.

Jersey sales lol - give me a break.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, absknicks said:

David Price, Miguel Cabrera, Cespedes, & Greinke are just a few of the guys making $29M/year+. 

Bryce will be around halfway to a HOF career by the end of this season (~30 WAR). Even with his struggles this year, he’s on pace for ~40 HR/100 RBI. 

I don’t know how someone, even if you believe he’s overrated, could objectively say they believe that there’s not a team out there that will give him 10/$400M for his age 26-35 seasons. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DemOrioles said:

Entire accomplishments?  He’s had one MVP caliber season.

Has only reached 40 home runs once.  Has never reached 100 RBI’s.  Only stole over 20 bases once.  Injury prone.  Goes into slumps that make your head spin.  Terrible base runner. And let’s not forget but he’s actually one of the worst right fielders in baseball when it comes to defense.  A fact which a lot of people overlook.

Jersey sales lol - give me a break.

Do some research on WAR, peak, MLB contracts, & capitalism. Then come back and chat.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Gotta say, I'm starting to believe this (the talk on the Sunday night ESPN broadcast of him getting $500-700M was absurd).  If you are basing his value on his level of play, he's no where near worth that much. As for the "economic impact" he may bring, I'm not as well versed in those regards.  Granted, his "prime years" are ahead of him, and he's very young now, but outside of his amazing 2015 season, his stats aren't worthy of $500M.  Paying that much for "potential" seems a bit risky to me.

I guess the real question isn't whether he'll get a contract like that, but rather is he really worth that much...

Edited by soccerphysio
  • Like 1

Dan Szymborski in a Fangraphs chat yesterday said he wouldn't go more than $250 million. I could see some foolish GM going 275-300, but 400 is out of the question, IMO. And rightfully so, based on performance and what the aging curve of age 31+ players looks like in today's MLB.

Edited by absknicks

3 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Do some research on WAR, peak, MLB contracts, & capitalism. Then come back and chat.

None of that is necessary to understand why Harper won’t get $400 million.  Boras is delusional.

3 minutes ago, DemOrioles said:

None of that is necessary to understand why Harper won’t get $400 million.  Boras is delusional.

All of the media hype just seems to have Boras' scheming ways behind it....just plant the seed in the media, and watch the hype grow.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, soccerphysio said:

All of the media hype just seems to have Boras' scheming ways behind it....just plant the seed in the media, and watch the hype grow.

You don’t think Stanton’s $325M has anything to do with it? Because that’s when the discussion started. Had nothing to do with manufactured hype. 

• Like 2

maybe dude needs a trip to the DL?

Dan Kolko
@masnKolko
Bryce Harper fouls a ball off his right ankle. He’s in a ton of pain. He’s gonna try and stay in this game, but he can barely stand up.

15 minutes ago, herschel said:

Dan Kolko
@masnKolko
Bryce Harper fouls a ball off his right ankle. He’s in a ton of pain. He’s gonna try and stay in this game, but he can barely stand up.

Rub a little hair product on that ankle, cupcake.  After all, you're trying to get paid way more than you're worth!

23 minutes ago, herschel said:

Dan Kolko
@masnKolko

It worked for Hoskins

Mark Zuckerman
@MarkZuckerman
Harper lines a single to left and looks fine running to first base.
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, herschel said:
Mark Zuckerman
@MarkZuckerman
Harper lines a single to left and looks fine running to first base.

Also tagged up and went from 2nd to 3rd and slid.