EmbargoLifted

Bryce Harper 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-05. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

3 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Single seasons are highly susceptible to variance since the sample sizes are pretty small.  Harper isn't as bad as some of the really bad down years he's had and he's not as good as that 2015 season either ... that's why you expand the sample size because it gives a clearer picture of who the player really is. Over his last 1800+ plate appearances it's pretty clear what kind of hitter he is .. (a ~130ish wRC+)

Sure, I see your point but the fact remains Harper has had the best season of any hitter since Barry Bonds. I only bring that up to show his upside is the best in the league. Of course, upside means nothing if you consistently underperform. That being said, it wouldnt shock me if Bryce Harper is the best hitter in the league over the next 3 years (i dont expect it to happen either though).

8 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

Sure, I see your point but the fact remains Harper has had the best season of any hitter since Barry Bonds. I only bring that up to show his upside is the best in the league. Of course, upside means nothing if you consistently underperform. That being said, it wouldnt shock me if Bryce Harper is the best hitter in the league over the next 3 years (i dont expect it to happen either though).

Agreed. Harper's age related production (specifically that stretch in 2015 where he went bondsian on the league at 23 yrs old indicates some really rare ability). He's been way up and way down and everything in between .. i think the volatility in his performance in his career so far does indicate there might be some untapped potential for sure.. this same volatility will lead to an interesting free agent negotiation/contract because you know some GM out there is dreaming on that 2015 season/upside as well.

Edited by EmbargoLifted

I don't think the Nats were ever the right fit for Harper.  He always seemed underappreciated there, which is ridiculous for a guy of that much talent to not be treated better.  Hopefully he finds the right fit and explodes, I'm kinda convincing myself for the Yankees to go after him lo

1 hour ago, MrBrown said:

I don't think the Nats were ever the right fit for Harper.  He always seemed underappreciated there, which is ridiculous for a guy of that much talent to not be treated better.  Hopefully he finds the right fit and explodes, I'm kinda convincing myself for the Yankees to go after him lo

How was he mistreated? The Nats always tried to make the team better around him. Except for Scherzer, I don't ever remember a team have so many season ending injuries season after season.

6 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

How was he mistreated? The Nats always tried to make the team better around him. Except for Scherzer, I don't ever remember a team have so many season ending injuries season after season.

Way too many coaching and team philosophy changes. He needs a stable franchise. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

I didn't use the word mistreated and its a bit of a stretch to say underappreciated has the same meaning.

1 minute ago, MrBrown said:

I didn't use the word mistreated and its a bit of a stretch to say underappreciated has the same meaning.

You said he should be treated better

23 minutes ago, GC Tacos said:

Way too many coaching and team philosophy changes. He needs a stable franchise. 

Marlins it is!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

You said he should be treated better

Ok sorry, I glanced at my post but didn't see mistreated in there.  But one instance is when Papelbon attacked Harper, they should've got him off the team right away.  He should've never returned for another season there.  There were just many instances that it seemed there was a lack of leadership there, and overall a lack of appreciation for Harper.

1 minute ago, MrBrown said:

Ok sorry, I glanced at my post but didn't see mistreated in there.  But one instance is when Papelbon attacked Harper, they should've got him off the team right away.  He should've never returned for another season there.  There were just many instances that it seemed there was a lack of leadership there, and overall a lack of appreciation for Harper.

Player altercations happen but that one was bad as it happened in the dugout and was exposed on TV as it happened. Don't remember who started by mouthing off to the other but imagine Paps got the blame as he was a talented douche. You put 25 highly competitive players together for 6+ months and there will be hard feelings. That just boiled over.

But didn't the Nats fire the manager and bring in Dusty for the next season or was Dusty the one replaced

12 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Player altercations happen but that one was bad as it happened in the dugout and was exposed on TV as it happened. Don't remember who started by mouthing off to the other but imagine Paps got the blame as he was a talented douche. You put 25 highly competitive players together for 6+ months and there will be hard feelings. That just boiled over.

But didn't the Nats fire the manager and bring in Dusty for the next season or was Dusty the one replaced

Yea that's true they did fire Matt Williams after that season and brought in Dusty Baker.  Matt Williams was always awful with Harper I thought.

On 10/14/2018 at 3:26 PM, MrBrown said:

Yea that's true they did fire Matt Williams after that season and brought in Dusty Baker.  Matt Williams was always awful with Harper I thought.

One year after he was manager of the year, but it started to unravel in the playoffs the year before when they lost to the Giants.  Some questionable bullpen decisions in the postseason, although why you would then turn over to Dusty whose postseason struggles are his main negative would tell me it might be some clubhouse issues.  

10 minutes ago, parrothead said:

One year after he was manager of the year, but it started to unravel in the playoffs the year before when they lost to the Giants.  Some questionable bullpen decisions in the postseason, although why you would then turn over to Dusty whose postseason struggles are his main negative would tell me it might be some clubhouse issues.  

If memory serves me right Dusty was hired as a "players manager" who would install law and order in the clubhouse. Personally, I believe when a manager loses the clubhouse he has either been there too long, the team isn't winning, or a combination of the two.

Winning seems to be the cure-all that can cover up a lot of problems. And the old saying getting rid of the manager is easier than getting rid of 25 players is really true.

1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

If memory serves me right Dusty was hired as a "players manager" who would install law and order in the clubhouse. Personally, I believe when a manager loses the clubhouse he has either been there too long, the team isn't winning, or a combination of the two.

Winning seems to be the cure-all that can cover up a lot of problems. And the old saying getting rid of the manager is easier than getting rid of 25 players is really true.

yes indeed

30 minutes ago, exaulz said:

Hint: It’s the Yankees

even tho i would prefer harper over machado...with the trade of stanton last year and the Didi injury i think machado and corbin/happ are far more likely.

37 minutes ago, exaulz said:

Hint: It’s the Yankees

If a deal has already been worked out, it's the Nationals. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

If a deal has already been worked out, it's the Nationals. 

im wondering if its a tactic by Boras tho and no deal has been worked out

4 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

im wondering if its a tactic by Boras tho and no deal has been worked out

most likely the case. Pretty sure it would be illegal for  a deal to be reached by any team besides the Nats. If he signs with a different team on the first few days of free agency, might be tampering. Who knows. Also seems like Boras is smart enough not to say something that could get him or his player in trouble. 

12 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

most likely the case. Pretty sure it would be illegal for  a deal to be reached by any team besides the Nats. If he signs with a different team on the first few days of free agency, might be tampering. Who knows. Also seems like Boras is smart enough not to say something that could get him or his player in trouble. 

Boras is all about self-promotion (second to the big bucks of course) above all else with this stuff. 

A local Boston reporter said that after the last game of the Series, Boras was out on the field running up to reporters left and right telling them he was available for an interview on the spot there.  And I mean like this guy who wasn't some national reporter but just some guy from a local station.  Even the World Series is mere window dressing for Boras being the center of attention.  Boras has an ego as big as his bank account.  He will be "playing" with the media about Harper for months probably not just to get himself a fat paycheck but to be in the spotlight himself which he seems to need.

• Like 1