EmbargoLifted

Bryce Harper 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-05. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

This is my first time owning Harper or paying much attention to him.  Damn is he fun to watch hit!  Machine

20 hours ago, Picard56 said:

Dude is looking jacked this year..... He is making me question my sexuality sometimes... :huh:

lol

21 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

looking like hes gonna have a monster year....dont own him but i hope he does. its good for baseball.

4 walks today as well. braves wanted absolutely no part of him.  stud for OBP/OPS leagues.

kinda regret not taking him this year.  health only question of course

He always lights up April, so sometimes tough to read.  He has more HR and RBI in Mar/April than any other month of his career and his avg is like 40 points higher.  

4 hours ago, parrothead said:

He always lights up April, so sometimes tough to read.  He has more HR and RBI in Mar/April than any other month of his career and his avg is like 40 points higher.  

This is so true. But I'm down to keep living the dream. At least while it lasts and who knows, we say it every year but, this could be the dream-come-true year :)

Edited by fingy

The only thing you have to worry about is him staying healthy.  As long as he stays healthy he's a top 3 fantasy hitter.  There's nothing else to worry about.

Edited by MrBrown

7 hours ago, fingy said:

This is so true. But I'm down to keep living the dream. At least while it lasts and who knows, we say it every year but, this could be the dream-come-true year :)

Yes and as a Cowboys fan, trust me, the fact Tony Romo was great in September never meant "this is the year"  

13 minutes ago, parrothead said:

Yes and as a Cowboys fan, trust me, the fact Tony Romo was great in September never meant "this is the year"  

Your disdain for Bryce is well-documented here. But let’s be clear. Bryce already has had “the year.” His age 22 MVP season-

.330/.460/1.109

118/42/99/6

Injuries have derailed a few of his seasons. His 162 game average is also special-

.285/108/32/90/13

Bryce owners need to just hope for health. Then he’ll have his SECOND “the year.” 

19 minutes ago, parrothead said:

I'm a cowboys fan too and don't really get this comparison at all, Romo was never dubbed a generational talent, he didn't even get a shot til he was much older. Bryce is still coming into his prime and is undoubtedly one of the best in all of baseball when locked in. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Your disdain for Bryce is well-documented here. But let’s be clear. Bryce already has had “the year.” His age 22 MVP season-

.330/.460/1.109

118/42/99/6

Injuries have derailed a few of his seasons. His 162 game average is also special-

.285/108/32/90/13

Bryce owners need to just hope for health. Then he’ll have his SECOND “the year.” 

I dont have a disdain for Harper at all, I have a frustration for the Bryce Bryce Baby Harper Heads who overvalue and overdraft him every year - I would love to have him on my team, just not at the price he seems to go for each year.  I actually tried to trade for him pre-auction, gave the guy a pretty good overpay, about 3 times as much as what I ended up getting Goldy for at viritually the same auction price.  

2 hours ago, mmcc1029 said:

I'm a cowboys fan too and don't really get this comparison at all, Romo was never dubbed a generational talent, he didn't even get a shot til he was much older. Bryce is still coming into his prime and is undoubtedly one of the best in all of baseball when locked in. 

You dont get the comparison?  When every fan knew it was not about September but rather about December and January when he seemed to struggle, its the same thing with Bryce.  No reason to get excited in April, he lights it up every April, lets see in June July August if he is still healthy, not pressing - he has had injuries, he has also had some pretty disappointing slumps (though those might be injury related) - we shall see.  

8 minutes ago, parrothead said:

I dont have a disdain for Harper at all, I have a frustration for the Bryce Bryce Baby Harper Heads who overvalue and overdraft him every year - I would love to have him on my team, just not at the price he seems to go for each year.  I actually tried to trade for him pre-auction, gave the guy a pretty good overpay, about 3 times as much as what I ended up getting Goldy for at viritually the same auction price.  

So, either you get him at what you feel is a fair value and you're happy, or your league-mates way over pay and it hurts their team and increases your chances to win. Either way you win, right? Don't sweat it then,

1 minute ago, Members_Only_76 said:

So, either you get him at what you feel is a fair value and you're happy, or your league-mates way over pay and it hurts their team and increases your chances to win. Either way you win, right? Don't sweat it then,

No doubt its potentially a win win, its just Ive said many times you go into a season looking for guys who you think will be a value, given his injury history and even some of the disappointing stretches, you would think one of these years it might come, but guess not. 

• Like 1

Harper did not strike out at all in his first five games. In those first five games, Harper also hit four home runs. The last player to hit four home runs in his team’s first five games without striking out was Barry Bonds in 2003. Bonds actually hit five homers, but other than Bonds, nobody else has done what Harper just did in the last 30 seasons. It’s safe to say, he’s locked in.

After 29 plate appearances, Harper has four homers, two singles, nine walks, and 14 outs, with his two from yesterday coming via the strikeout. In the very early going, Harper’s wRC+ is 247, and that’s with a BABIP of just .143.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/bryce-harpers-laser-like-focus/

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Harper did not strike out at all in his first five games. In those first five games, Harper also hit four home runs. The last player to hit four home runs in his team’s first five games without striking out was Barry Bonds in 2003. Bonds actually hit five homers, but other than Bonds, nobody else has done what Harper just did in the last 30 seasons. It’s safe to say, he’s locked in.

After 29 plate appearances, Harper has four homers, two singles, nine walks, and 14 outs, with his two from yesterday coming via the strikeout. In the very early going, Harper’s wRC+ is 247, and that’s with a BABIP of just .143.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/bryce-harpers-laser-like-focus/

suspicious family matters GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TTRA1N said:

Just stay healthy!

If he stays relatively healthy, he will be the #1 overall player this year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rasto21585 said:

I agree

1 hour ago, rasto21585 said:

Trout fans will come swimming over shortly.  But as a Trout owner, I agree whole heartedly.

2 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Trout fans will come swimming over shortly.  But as a Trout owner, I agree whole heartedly.

I resent that about sports sometimes... The idea of comparing players. We can appreciate trout and harper at the same time

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, weakkneeswilly said:

Brice was 2/29 against Harvey before his first PA tonight.

You’re not allowed here if you’re gonna disrespect the man and not even spell his name right. giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Backdoor Slider said:
Just now, weakkneeswilly said:

Brice was 2/29 against Harvey before his first PA tonight.

You’re not allowed here if you’re gonna disrespect the man and not even spell his name right. 

How could I do that, my apologies Bryce.

• Like 2