EmbargoLifted

Bryce Harper 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-05. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

5 minutes ago, mmcc1029 said:

Soooooo what would you say you do here????

Well in all honesty Bobs.  I come in and check my fantasy teams,  do a little fantasy research,  maybe make some fantasy moves,  and then I just head back home.  

• Haha 1

On 4/30/2018 at 8:53 AM, Yanks#1 said:

Harper should be in the lead off spot while these guys are injured

Atta boy Martinez

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

lol wow actually hitting leadoff. Lets hope this changes things 

15 minutes ago, absknicks said:

This guy... 

As a Cuse native this makes me proud lol 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, absknicks said:

This guy... 

what a jagoff

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, absknicks said:

This guy... 

People are going to rip him for this, but goddamn is this hilarious. 

12 minutes ago, Philoumenos said:

People are going to rip him for this, but goddamn is this hilarious. 

It’s a POS thing to say about your teammates.

I think his character shortcomings are pretty well known by now, but this was especially low. 

Edited by absknicks
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, mmcc1029 said:

As a Cuse native this makes me proud lol 

Ahem it's the just the Syracuse CHIEFS now just like it's the orange and not the orangeMEN. We don't like long names in Syracuse 

Did Harper himself actually say that?

I mean yeah it's kinda true, but I'd never say that as a team leader or teammate in general.

Something more like "we are missing those (injured) guys and look forward to their return" would be more appropriate IMO.

4 minutes ago, absknicks said:

I think his character shortcomings are pretty well known by now, but this was especially low. 

It is.  But this is where you want his head at.  He's cocky, almost turns being cocky into a competition.  It's just how he's wired for success 

3 minutes ago, absknicks said:

I wonder how many teams will be concerned about his character shortcoming this offseason.

I get he is a superstar hitting in an order with 8 underperforming guys, but this is the first time he has faced any team adversity in his career - the Nats have always been good. Since he's been playing they've missed the playoffs twice, and neither of those teams had losing records. Trout, on the other hand, has been annually screwed by his teammates and front office and has never spoken out against his teammates like this. it. I just find the differences between the two young stars interesting. 

• Like 2

Just now, WahooManiac said:

It is.  But this is where you want his head at.  He's cocky, almost turns being cocky into a competition.  It's just how he's wired for success 

it's one thing to have that competitive nature and cocky/confidence, it's another thing to insult people. It doesn't help the team win and can create a negative atmosphere IMO. There are other ways to be cocky/competitive and be a leader in the clubhouse. You want a team to gel, everyone doesn't have to be BFF's, but you don't want to breed contempt.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

it's one thing to have that competitive nature and cocky/confidence, it's another thing to insult people. It doesn't help the team win and can create a negative atmosphere IMO. There are other ways to be cocky/competitive and be a leader in the clubhouse. You want a team to gel, everyone doesn't have to be BFF's, but you don't want to breed contempt.

I'd love to believe this,  but there's just too many successful teams that hated each other.  All the way back to the Black Sox.  At pro level gelling takes a backseat to personality type sometimes.  He's that guy you love to hate,  he knows it,  and has embraced it.  Bonds was worse fwiw, but same idea.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

I'd love to believe this,  but there's just too many successful teams that hated each other.  All the way back to the Black Sox.  At pro level gelling takes a backseat to personality type sometimes.  He's that guy you love to hate,  he knows it,  and has embraced it.  Bonds was worse fwiw, but same idea.  

I hear ya. But I’ll believe it when the Nats win a title. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Honestly, I don't really care. Maybe if I was a Nats' fan and worried about locker room cohesion or something I'd care.

So yeah it is terrible, but it's also hilarious, especially in our era of boring, milquetoast baseball interviews. I'm open to some gut-busting NBA-style drama to shake things up at least once in a while. I watch sports to be entertained, and like I said, honestly that comment entertained me. It's like a forum/Reddit level jokey quip that was said in an actual interview. That's hysterical. 

I don't think one rude quip about the MiLB fill-ins is going to tank his value at all. We know who Bryce is, and we know what he's going to do.

OPPO TACO BOMB! WE BAAAAAACKKKKK

Give this man a little protection and look at the results..

Edited by Marcus Anthony
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I hear ya. But I’ll believe it when the Yanks win a title. 

Fixed that. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2018 at 8:53 AM, Yanks#1 said:

Harper should be in the lead off spot while these guys are injured

Dave just shoot me a message if you need any other advice. Maybe hit me up with a “like” or smiley face if you approve...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Yanks#1 said:

Dave just shoot me a message if you need any other advice. Maybe hit me up with a “like” or smiley face if you approve...

You've got my support for nationals manager lol

With Bryce Harper in the leadoff spot, I can’t help but think somewhere George Steinbrenner is smirking, thinking about the possibility of his beloved Bronx bomber backing up brinks truck this offseason. 

The Yankees brass could really already be thinking “yeah Nat’s.. go ahead and get him used to that spot for us”. 

He might have left this next offseason regardless of this seasons outcome, but if this continues, it’s almost a lock for him to bounce. I can only imagine right now that it would be a two horse race between the Dodgers & Yankees. 

If he were to join that outfield in New York, the lineup would look as good an All-Star team could possibly pull together:

1. Bryce Harper 

2. Aaron Judge 

3. Didi Gregorious 

4. Giancarlo Stanton 

5. Gary Sanchez 

I know the Yanks have even more to list, but just those top 5 in the lineup would be an All-Timer. 

I know this is a little out of left field, but as a baseball fan I can’t stop the wheels from spinning on scenarios. The Yanks might be just as likely to go after Manny, which would almost be as bad, but I can’t help but already think how hated that team could get again. 

Well, in up to the date, relevant fantasy news... Harper has looked good in the last 3 games. 

6 hours ago, LarryDavid said:

Well, in up to the date, relevant fantasy news... Harper has looked good in the last 3 games. 

Remind me who the Pirates pitchers are

Edited by DemOrioles

Currently on pace for 50 homers, 135 runs, 150 RBI, and 20 steals. Will he hit those number? Of course not, but 40 homers, 90+ runs, 100+ RBI, and ~15 steals sounds good to me. His average is sitting at .257, but his BABIP is .219, which will regress to the mean. His hard contact is up nearly 7% from last season and his K% is down roughly 5%. Plus, he's already stolen 4 bases in 32 games. He stole the same amount in 111 games last season.

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers
  • Like 1

Bryce’s second homerun tonight is his longest ever since Statcast started tracking in 2015 (473 feet).

• Like 2