EmbargoLifted

Bryce Harper 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-05. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Love the strategy by Philly to pitch underhanded to Harper

Absolutely insane that his BABIP is below .200 with soft contact % and hard contact % numbers as great as they have been in his career

• Like 1

The bad luck continues.  0-4 and has had 3 hits robbed from him.  Made outs on balls hit 108, 106, 105 and with hit probabilities of 93, 90 and 86%.  Yeesh.

• Like 3

They should of moved him back in the lineup after his good games at the top really

Not gonna be popular, but it’s true... he is basically Joey Gallo offensively.

badically. Yes he can play OF, but he is not close to worth $400M and not really a winning player to own in fantasy baseball, unless you caught the Magic of his MVP YEAR 

10 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

badically. Yes he can play OF, but he is not close to worth $400M and not really a winning player to own in fantasy baseball, unless you caught the Magic of his MVP YEAR 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

Lol... Wait, what? The only thing I can agree with about that comment, is the un-popular part.. and that is mostly because it is flat out ridiculous. 

I can go on a full tangent with this one. But I am not. You are comparing a career .283 hitter with a 449:690 BB/K to a guy who has more homers than singles. Not to mention he is still 25 years old and has the MVP season under his belt. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, LarryDavid said:

Lol... Wait, what? The only thing I can agree with about that comment, is the un-popular part.. and that is mostly because it is flat out ridiculous. 

I can go on a full tangent with this one. But I am not. You are comparing a career .283 hitter with a 449:690 BB/K to a guy who has more homers than singles. Not to mention he is still 25 years old and has the MVP season under his belt. 

Tell me how their numbers are different right now.... look at the slash lines. 

.237 .420

.224 .302 .530

In 5x5 do you know what that is? Similar. Like I care that Gallo only hits singles and bombs

2 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

Tell me how their numbers are different right now.... look at the slash lines. 

.237 .420

.224 .302 .530

In 5x5 do you know what that is? Similar. Like I care that Gallo only hits singles and bombs

Because Harper is not gonna hit for that low of average the entire year, Gallo will. You are just either trolling or need your head examined.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Because Harper is not gonna hit for that low of average the entire year, Gallo will. You are just either trolling or need your head examined.

He has been trolling on this forum for years. He just hates on Harper over and over and over. Very sad. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This suddenly became my favorite thread ever!

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

Ive owned Harper one season ever - and it was the first one he ever played - Hamels V. Harper is a battle I would not remember otherwise!

Unfortunately - I feel the same about Acuna - I doubt I will ever own him again either anytime soon :(

Nats messed up by not moving Harper back in the lineup after the first couple games at leadoff - he got the little confidence he needed at that point, he is not a leadoff hitter.  At this point the leadoff experiment is a failure if you think about OBP

They’ve won practically every game since making that move.

10 hours ago, Picard56 said:

Use the block user option.  It makes these forums much more enjoyable.  Only time you know people you've blocked have posted is if someone else quotes them.  Great option.

He isnt walking anymore either.  At least before when he was slumping, he was still walking a ton and scoring runs.   Now its just 0-4 everyday.

Move him back to cleanup, please

As a Goldie and Harper owner in a dynasty league so far...

c4jt321.png

Fortunately Harper has been going on week rake bingers to make up for the random slumps.

Edited by KrunK

Was just dealt in as serious of a league as you can be in for Conforto & Trea Turner. His stock is just not what some think. 

5 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

Was just dealt in as serious of a league as you can be in for Conforto & Trea Turner. His stock is just not what some think. 

Depending on league and team needs that’s not bad. 

9 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

That's not terrible imo, esp. depending on the league

he's still the 6th-ranked player in my league, according to the Yahoo app

14 hours ago, mevins31 said:

Dude, 3 weeks ago you could trade him straight up for almost anyone in baseball or a gold mine of players. With any player you're going have to ride the valleys so you can enjoy the peaks. Do you really think Harper is the player he has been for the last 2-3 weeks? Sell low if you own him anywhere, great strategy.

On 5/8/2018 at 9:57 AM, mevins31 said:

Listen, I was one of Harper's biggest critics at one point. Up until 2015 I thought he was overhyped, then thought I might have been vindicated in 2016. But at this point, it doesn't take a brain scientist to figure out he's elite, and it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out what the issue is.

The guy has a BABIP of .184 this year. That is absurdly low. He's still walking a ton, he's still not striking out a whole lot (i.e. he's not freakin Joey Gallo), and he's still hitting the ball as hard as ever. Once his one real issue corrects itself, he'll be back to hitting around .300, along with the other numbers that make him a perennial first rounder. Hell, the only thing that's not there right now is the average, anyone playing in OBP leagues, which at this point is probably most of this site, probably hasn't realized how 'not winning' he is. He still has 29 runs (tied fifth), 28 RBI (tied eighth), 12 home runs (tied second). And that's with a .230 average. What do you think happens when that starts to correct itself? At this point, it's absurd to be as low on him as you are.