rebol2n

Nic Batum 2017-2018 outlook

His injury happen right after my draft. Anyone familiar with this injury and how will it affect him when he returns? 

Non-shooting arm, so he should be fine when he gets back. I had just drafted as well and this definitely sucks. Hoping for 8 and not 12 week recovery! 

8-12 weeks is the latest report so he'll miss the first 30 games or so.

If you have a IR spot - lucky you!

If you don't have a IR spot - I hope you have someone to drop so you can pick up Lamb/Monk

Really hard to replace the multi-cat contribution of Batum though

I've had Batum the last 3 years in most leagues....really value his multi-cat contribution 

BUT he wasn't even on my radar this season. Maybe I've still annoyed by his FG% to start last season or maybe it's my focus on PGs & Bigs early but I haven't drafted Nic in any of the 100+ Mocks I've done.

Assuming he falls to the late mids in my draft I could happily take him but if he goes in the first 5 I'll move on as planned

This is why we shouldn’t draft so early! Fight the urge LMs! 

8 minutes ago, Cbridge617 said:

Where are you guys drafting him now?

I prefer Yahoo!, but I know a few people here use ESPN.

11 minutes ago, Cbridge617 said:

Where are you guys drafting him now?

My drafts are over. But I guess you should bump him down a few rounds from where you originally were gonna draft him. My earliest would be mid 7th. If he ends up missing the full 12 weeks then in that would be too early. So to be safe get him in 8th if still available imo. 

i just did a 12 teams 9 cats roto league draft yesterday. Batum fall to mid 9th round. FYI.

• Like 1

Updated Yahoo! rankings has him at around 135-145, i think, so he went under the radar and i was able to snag him at 125 (end of 9th round). Almost forgot he was still available until i was looking at my queued players. With or without an IR, thats excellent value IMO.

I think I read a blurb that had an updated timetable of 6-8 weeks. If that's close to accurate and his injury occurred roughly a week ago, he could potentially be back by the first week of December. 

35 minutes ago, boytoy said:

Updated Yahoo! rankings has him at around 135-145, i think, so he went under the radar and i was able to snag him at 125 (end of 9th round). Almost forgot he was still available until i was looking at my queued players. With or without an IR, thats excellent value IMO.

He's a FA in my league without an IR. Still trying to figure out if he's worth the scoop. He's not super valuable to my build per se, but i'd try to use him as a trade chip once healthy.

i got him in a 12 team 9cat h2h league in the 7th round (73rd pick) by accident last week coz ran out of time and hadnt update my rankings. was choosing between tobias and harrison barnes then. but looking back, with the league having 2 IL, getting him there seems fine after all. theres several WINGS in free agent pool who can replicate or fit my team more than barnes and harris for the meantime. while getting essentially a PG that gives you 6 asst would not be avail 

Updated time table for return is 6-8 weeks...

Drafted him at 120 the other day! He should put up top 70-80 value so that's a huge win IMO

Got him for $6 in an auction last night (9 cat roto), and while he'll miss a chunk of the season he fits my build perfectly so I'm happy with that price.

Batum and Lavine are both on the wire in my non-IR spot 12 team league. I am in a good position to pick up one of them and I am leaning towards Batum. While I do think Lavine has more long term potential and possibly a higher ceiling this year, I think Batum could get fully up to speed faster (injury was to non-shooting arm, should be in ok kind of shape) and will probably not be sitting as much since the Bulls are in tank mode.

Any updates on Batum's recovery?  I drafted him with my 121st pick so patiently waiting on him to return and take my squad to an all new level.

1 hour ago, Philzilla said:

Batum and Lavine are both on the wire in my non-IR spot 12 team league. I am in a good position to pick up one of them and I am leaning towards Batum. While I do think Lavine has more long term potential and possibly a higher ceiling this year, I think Batum could get fully up to speed faster (injury was to non-shooting arm, should be in ok kind of shape) and will probably not be sitting as much since the Bulls are in tank mode.

I think the idea the Bulls baby or sit LaVine is overblown. They did not extend him. He is a RFA. They need to play that asset and see what they have before deciding whether to resign him. They don't own him a dollar after this year so they make as well test him to make sure he doesn't break. And if he breaks then they don't resign him.  

My understanding of Batum's injury is they are just resting it and then bringing him back. He tore a ligament and rest is only going to do so much. Seems to me that he can easily re-aggravate that injury because it hasn't been fixed and 6 weeks of rest is probably not healing a torn ligament. I think Batum carries a lot of in-season risk, unless he wears some brace that doesn't allow his elbow to bend a certain direction to tweak that torn ligament.  Just giving you a counter argument to think about. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thezing1 said:

I think the idea the Bulls baby or sit LaVine is overblown. They did not extend him. He is a RFA. They need to play that asset and see what they have before deciding whether to resign him. They don't own him a dollar after this year so they make as well test him to make sure he doesn't break. And if he breaks then they don't resign him.  

My understanding of Batum's injury is they are just resting it and then bringing him back. He tore a ligament and rest is only going to do so much. Seems to me that he can easily re-aggravate that injury because it hasn't been fixed and 6 weeks of rest is probably not healing a torn ligament. I think Batum carries a lot of in-season risk, unless he wears some brace that doesn't allow his elbow to bend a certain direction to tweak that torn ligament.  Just giving you a counter argument to think about. 

I hear your Batum points loud and clear, good points. However, to say that the Bulls would let Lavine just walk if he breaks down again would be a huge deal. Lavine was the centerpiece for the Jimmy Butler trade. To lose or damage Lavine a year after Butler leaves would be a massive disappointment/embarrassment for that organization. They would not play him to the breaking point just to test him. You can test a guy without playing him big minutes or everyday, and that's my fear. I think they will be extremely careful for him this year since they have nothing to play for. Limited minutes is likely. Rest days on B2B's are likely. 

Whats everyone doing with Batum? Was dropped in my 10-team league

3 minutes ago, Asho said:

Whats everyone doing with Batum? Was dropped in my 10-team league

I picked him up from FA and stashed him in a 12-team with no IR. 6/12 teams make playoffs.

It's still a long season. He's most likely coming back at around Week 6, that's roughly a bit more than 1/4 of the season. During this time you may lose some matchups because of him, but once he comes back, he provides a boost to your team should propel you to win your matchups to get you to the playoffs.

• Thanks 2