Sign in to follow this  
bwarbiany

Do you play WR of same team as opponent QB as defensive strategy?

Team in sig. This week I'm planning on starting AJ Green and Jordy Nelson, with Randall Cobb in the Flex spot.

My opponent has Jared Goff at QB. I have Sammy Watkins currently sitting on my bench.

Does it make sense, even if I think that Cobb is a "safer" play at the Flex, to play Watkins there as a defense such that if Goff gets the points for a passing TD to Watkins, I at least get the receiving TD as insurance against Goff?

eh personally i don’t think it’s much insurance in case the rams bust of goff doesn’t throw to watkins, i prefer to stream the kicker of the opposing teams qb: if the qb scores then the extra point cancels out one of those points AND if the offense is struggling the kicker gets a boost which helps your team two fold. all-in-all id start cobb

it only makes sense if you think the wr will get more pts than your other options. i agree with coffey in starting cobb, especially if this is any king of ppr with adams looking iffy

It's standard...

Normally I like RB at flex, but I don't trust Cohen against that Minnesota defense and Kamara is on bye. So Cobb is IMHO my best option (would probably be my clear #1 for Flex if Adams is out).

Typically I think this strategy is overthinking things since in theory you should play who you think will give you the most point irrespective of who your opponent has (it may seem like it at times but who you start and don't start has no actual bearing on their performance in real life). I do however suffer from this thinking when my options are a little closer in ability. If your decision was between Watkins and Martavis Bryant or someone closer to Watkins ability (ability to score fantasy points that is not actual football ability) I'd be more for using it as a deciding factor but I think the gap between Cobb and Watkins is too great for you to use this logic to start him over him. Goff doing well increases the likelihood of Watkins doing well but Goff can still throw for 400 yards and 4 scores with Watkins still having a bad day (especially relative to Cobb). Similarly Goff can still do poorly whether or not you start Watkins so if Goff gets a zero and Watkins gets a zero you'd obviously had been better off starting Cobb. 

I think a  slightly stronger argument for starting Watkins over Cobb would be because you already have Nelson. Starting two WR on the same team lowers the ceiling since if one gets a target that means its one less target the other gets and if you start Watkins him getting a target doesn't cannibalize any of your other players. This argument however, fails (especially for a team like the Packers) since Nelson realistically won't get all the targets and in Packers offense there are (typically) plenty of targets and opportunities to score so that both Nelson and Cobb can succeed. Both are big parts of the passing game and with their big play potentials they can turn 1 short catch into a long TD which can make their fantasy day. Having each other also makes it more difficult for defenses to key in on and double team the other (however this is true no matter who you start). If the Packers team struggles you are exposed to more risk but if I had to bet on any offense the Packers would be among the top. Also, injuries to Adams and Montgomery (even if they play won't be 100%) will likely lead to Packers leaning more heavily on Nelson and Cobb for short gains (in place of runs) and big gains (Adams is their vertical, perimeter threat).

Edited by Jaw1

I like this idea normally to "offset" the other players top player. In this case Watkins is not good enough. Play the best player.