• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
ShopHeirlooms

Eric Bledsoe 2017-2018 Season Outlook

Didn’t see one yet. What should we expect guys? Another season ending in injury & despair or a monster, healthy, 2 round value year? 

Rolled the dice on him last year and it paid off untill they shut him down. Expecting the same as last season with less risk of a shut down. And for the record he was not hurt. They shut him down to play the youngsters. 

Edited by BetterCallHinkie

6 minutes ago, BetterCallHinkie said:

Rolled the dice on him last year and it paid off untill they shut him down. Expecting the same as last season with less risk of a shut down. And for the record he was not hurt. They shut him down to play the youngsters. 

Oh wow he didn’t get hurt last season? I swore he did. That’s comforting. I had Knight last year and waited it out before he got shut down. I hope Watson doesn’t do that again. Right in the Fantasy playoffs right?

Phoenix took some heat for doing what they did with Bledsoe so I think its safe to assume it won't happen again. 

Bledsoe was a monster before they shut him down. His month of January was obnoxious. He dropped 40+ 3x all within about a week span towards the end of January. He was the best rebounding guard not named Westbrook. His defense and assists numbers are completely solid. He's good. He's dam good. He's right there with the tier 2 PG's of Wall, Dame and CP3. I see him as something like a poor mans Westbrook. 

Really talented, but I'm not touching him,a s he's in line to put in a 30-40 game season again.

• Like 1

Such a wonderful player, but after owning him during the 2015-16 season, I promised myself to never draft him. Remains a shut-down candidate towards the end of the season and fails to stay on the court.

This year he will be healthy all season. Bledsoe alternates years even if he did get shut down prematurely.

Edited by ssolitare

9 hours ago, BetterCallHinkie said:

Phoenix took some heat for doing what they did with Bledsoe so I think its safe to assume it won't happen again. 

Bledsoe was a monster before they shut him down. His month of January was obnoxious. He dropped 40+ 3x all within about a week span towards the end of January. He was the best rebounding guard not named Westbrook. His defense and assists numbers are completely solid. He's good. He's dam good. He's right there with the tier 2 PG's of Wall, Dame and CP3. I see him as something like a poor mans Westbrook. 

The same here - Bledsoe helped my team to get play-offs, but then disappeared allegedly not by his own will. If he is available at the beginning of the 4th round (I have 41st pick), then I probably take the risk.

1 hour ago, ssolitare said:

This year he will be healthy all season. Bledsoe alternates years even if he did get shut down prematurely.

If last year he was healthy (just shutdown due to tanking)  this is the supposedly the alternate year which I believe will be an injury year. Fingers crossed

9 hours ago, buddyyddub said:

If last year he was healthy (just shutdown due to tanking)  this is the supposedly the alternate year which I believe will be an injury year. Fingers crossed

I'm trying to pretend he would have if the didn't shut him down =X.

1 hour ago, ssolitare said:

I'm trying to pretend he would have if the didn't shut him down =X.

They did say he had some "knee soreness" towards the end of the year. It could've been attributed from balling so hard or a false flag to shut him down and get a look at Tyler Ulis. But Bledsoe did vocalize that he was fine and wanted to be out there playing. 

2 minutes ago, BetterCallHinkie said:

They did say he had some "knee soreness" towards the end of the year. It could've been attributed from balling so hard or a false flag to shut him down and get a look at Tyler Ulis. But Bledsoe did vocalize that he was fine and wanted to be out there playing. 

Yep, Bledsoe was pissed that he was shutdown because he wasn't injured.

I don't think much has changed from end of season to this season. The Suns are rebuilding and won't be competitive. Ulis proved to be capable of running an offense. Booker is the undisputed centerpiece for the future. They are developing their stretch 4's. I don't know where Bledsoe fits on this team so I see the Suns trading him at some point this year. My biggest concern is capping minutes if a trade doesn't happen. And if he gets traded I think it is to form a "super team" because no one is really in the business of trading for a soon to be 28 year old PG with an injury history unless they are competing. That means his usage could be compromised. Obviously I am speculating, but the more I think of it the more I am worried about this trade scenario playing out. 

• Like 2

Took Bledsoe in my 9-cat, 12-teamer because he was allowed to drop to the 6th round for some reason. I'm running a punt assists build but I had to take him at that point purely because he can offer me trade value if he begins to spaz like last season, thus allowing me to sneak in and trade for a player more suited to my build. The Suns faced HEAVY backlash from the league last year for blatantly shutting EB so early, and barring injury I think he plays the whole season. Bledsoe wanted to be out there last year but the team decided against it to give his knee more time to heal and rest; there's no reason why he shouldn't stay healthy and be the man on that Suns team. 

4 hours ago, TheBoondocks said:

Took Bledsoe in my 9-cat, 12-teamer because he was allowed to drop to the 6th round for some reason. I'm running a punt assists build but I had to take him at that point purely because he can offer me trade value if he begins to spaz like last season, thus allowing me to sneak in and trade for a player more suited to my build. The Suns faced HEAVY backlash from the league last year for blatantly shutting EB so early, and barring injury I think he plays the whole season. Bledsoe wanted to be out there last year but the team decided against it to give his knee more time to heal and rest; there's no reason why he shouldn't stay healthy and be the man on that Suns team. 

Where did the Suns face heavy backlash? I assume since heavy is in caps you mean more than other teams that rested players (which was 80-ish% of the NBA last year???). 

The Suns were motivated in many ways to not play Bledsoe down the stretch. These are just off the top of my head....

1. They got to take a long look at Ulis. 2. Bledsoe could be expendable if Ulis performed well. 3. Was Ulis the future PG? This let them know if they should draft a PG for the future in a draft stocked with high end PG. 4. By sitting Bledsoe instead of benching him or playing him limited minutes they removed all injury risk so they could leverage a healthy asset in the offseason.  5. Losing games was in the best interest of the Suns. Theoretically, benching Bledsoe and starting Ulis was a net negative on the talent the Suns were rolling out. That is in their best interest for improving their lottery chances. Every team with those incentives does it and every team with those incentives should do it until lottery reform takes place. 

The Suns didn't face any more backlash then any other team in the league that rested players. They acted in their best interests. Every team should act in their best interests because their competition sure doesn't look out for them.  It has almost nothing to do with Bledsoe and almost everything to do with the Suns future as a rebuilding franchise. 

It's a tragedy of the commons type thing.  If every bad team did what the Suns did, every year, ratings are going down.  Ratings going down means advertising leave/pay less.  Advertisers leaving/paying less means less money in the owners' pockets.  Less money in the owners' pockets means less money going to the league, to infrastructure, to the product, and to the players.  We don't get instantaneous stat updates most nights a year for free, ya know.  Someone is paying, even if it's not us.

It's the exact same thing as teams having players randomly rest games, except way way more blatant.  I don't see the league letting that s--- fly again.  

Basically, last year the Suns were that friend that forgot his wallet when you all went out for dinner and drinks.  He was having Jack and cokes and shots with the rest of his boys, but he didn't pay.  That was fine last weekend, but I'm pretty sure he's going to pay this weekend or his dudes are gonna find ways to make him pay.

It's the same thing as the people you know who brag about streaming Game of Thrones and s---.  That's cool, dude, but if everyone did that HBO wouldn't have the money to make a show, so calm down.

• Like 4

Bledsoe is big time (I was able to trade him and Dlo for Jimmy B last year before he got shut down) but when he play with TJ Warren, only one of them manages to puts up stats. I worry less about the shutdown risk and more about the ball and playmaking going through some of the other guys. Preseason play wasn't reassuring either

Edited by chaiway

9 minutes ago, Tom Chambers said:

It's a tragedy of the commons type thing.  If every bad team did what the Suns did, every year, ratings are going down.  Ratings going down means advertising leave/pay less.  Advertisers leaving/paying less means less money in the owners' pockets.  Less money in the owners' pockets means less money going to the league, to infrastructure, to the product, and to the players.  We don't get instantaneous stat updates most nights a year for free, ya know.  Someone is paying, even if it's not us.

It's the exact same thing as teams having players randomly rest games, except way way more blatant.  I don't see the league letting that s--- fly again.  

Basically, last year the Suns were that friend that forgot his wallet when you all went out for dinner and drinks.  He was having Jack and cokes and shots with the rest of his boys, but he didn't pay.  That was fine last weekend, but I'm pretty sure he's going to pay this weekend or his dudes are gonna find ways to make him pay.

It's the same thing as the people you know who brag about streaming Game of Thrones and s---.  That's cool, dude, but if everyone did that HBO wouldn't have the money to make a show, so calm down.

I tend to agree with your posts, but not this one. The business of the NBA exploded with the new TV deal. Similar to MLB, re-negotiated TV deals in today's economics are just insanely more lucrative then what they were a decade or two ago. Teams that were sold just prior to the new TV deals and new economics of the league are in a very different landscape than new owners in history. With the new TV deal their investments essentially doubled without any need to field a competitive team where previous owners needed to realize a return on their investment, typically done by making their team competitive. Whether teams decide to field a competitive team or not is kind of up to ownership, but in reality fans have short memories. Does anyone honestly think the Suns lost any substantial revenue by benching Bledsoe last year? Did Suns' fans decide they would never support the team again because they sat their best player at the end of the year in meaningless games? This exact thing happens all the time in MLB with September callups. How many pitchers get shut down in meaningless September games....and there is no outrage because it is in the teams' best interest to not subject those assets to injury and develop youth to see if expensive veterans are expendable. 

What happened before the Sixers were sold and Hinkie came in and exploited the market was sort of game theory. But once you threw in the TV money it wasn't in any team's best interest to keep the status quo going (trying to be competitive) because their investment had more leeway to being profitable. Whether the Sixers won 10 games or 30 games didn't really impact the bottom line. But accumulating high end talent and giving themselves a chance to win a championship is where the real multiple on the investment occurs. Just look at the Warriors. Hell, look at the Sixers and how many season tickets they have sold. How are you going to say they aren't in a better place because of Hinkie and the "tanking" seasons?

If you think tanking is wrong then you probably view the NBA purely as a sport. If you think of the NBA as a business you probably understand and are receptive to tanking. Bad teams being terrible and resting players impacts the NBA a fraction as much as healthy players on great teams resting in visiting cities in marquee matchups. Ratings don't go down because the Suns didn't play Bledsoe in the 81st game of the season against the Mavs or the 82nd game vs. the Kings because those games were meaningless. Ratings go down when TNT is showing the GS/SAS game and everyone plans their night around watching it and you turn on the TV and see none of the top players are playing. That will lose the casual fans because those posting on these forums will tune in to watch the Wolves face the Sixers on league pass (or maybe that is just me).  

Last thing before going back to Bledsoe and getting off of tanking....what KD did is far more offensive to me than any bad team tanking. When max players take a fraction of their worth it distorts the competitive landscape of the entire league. If the NBA ratings go down it is because the outcome of the league is predetermined barring injury. I understand any casual fan waiting until the championship rounds to watch the NBA, if everyone stays healthy and there are no significant trades, because I am 99% that every team except the Cavs and Warriors are playing for 3rd place. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom Chambers said:

The point isn't that the Suns lost anything by doing that, but that if they did it every year, they would.  

I get your stance, but all you have to do is look at the Sixers today* to argue that it is every bit as likely that the Suns would actually gain by doing it for multiple years in a row. 

*I don't understand the Embiid contract and from this point forward that franchise is tied to Embiid's health for the next decade. Terrifying. 

On 10/9/2017 at 7:07 AM, TheBoondocks said:

That's a no-brainer, even in a punt assists. I think people are irrationally worried about another shut down - fine by me as it's driving down the price of a great player. He's consistently falling to the fourth and later and I'm fine taking him any where after the third. 

3 hours ago, '71 Bucks said:

That's a no-brainer, even in a punt assists. I think people are irrationally worried about another shut down - fine by me as it's driving down the price of a great player. He's consistently falling to the fourth and later and I'm fine taking him any where after the third. 

Yeah I reached for Gary Harris in the 5th round, and returned to the draft when notified only to see him still there. I don't see any reason why he won't produce at the highest of levels if he stays healthy. Just praying he doesn't get traded, because given his age and position he'd be going to a contender that already has a quality PG, which will effectively make him the 6th round pick I got him at or worse. 

Trying to gauge how imminent an Eric Bledsoe trade is, wasn't he dangled out by the Suns for Kyrie? So the willingness to trade is kind of there, no?

On 10/9/2017 at 3:07 PM, TheBoondocks said:

I tried to trade him at last season some weeks before fantasy play-off, but I couldn't get acceptable offer. Of course after that I just played without key player at play-off.

Luckily it doesn't count yet. Hopefully all the rust will be gone by next week.

5 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

Luckily it doesn't count yet. Hopefully all the rust will be gone by next week.

Well his FG has never historically been the highest, but you'd expect him to be hitting in the 43-44% range this season and no go 0-8 FG too often lol

5 hours ago, THE_MAGIC_MAN said:

Trying to gauge how imminent an Eric Bledsoe trade is, wasn't he dangled out by the Suns for Kyrie? So the willingness to trade is kind of there, no?

What?  Kyrie wanted to leave and is a clear upgrade on Bledsoe. Being offered as a trade piece doesn't automatically make you dispensable. For example, Kevin Love's name has been shopped around, but that doesn't make him any less vital to Cleveland's plans 

Edited by TheBoondocks