• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
brockpapersizer

Kevin Gausman 2018 Outlook

1 hour ago, twelve20 said:

For what it’s worth... CBS is reporting that Gausman was testing out a new sinker grip yesterday.

He should go back to the old grip

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This guy is so damn frustrating. 

He finally flips the switch and does great in the 2nd half, peripherals look great, and what does he do? Tries changing grip and throwing a new pitch after watching new teammate Andrew Freaking Cashner throw in the bulpen. Come on man, cut the crap. And the Orioles coaching staff needs a better handle on things. 

I'm very irritated with this lol

• Like 2

Nice outing today 3IP 0 runs 5K's

• Like 1

This is the year

• Like 1

On 3/3/2018 at 5:29 PM, Ry34No said:

This is the year

On 3/3/2018 at 6:33 PM, Members_Only_76 said:

Need a major league gif or meme for this :)

giphy.gif

3cjkQSt.gif?w=1400

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 2/27/2018 at 12:33 PM, azeri98 said:

He should go back to the old grip

Lol, yeah the one he used as a kid the last time he got someone out. 

Friggin' Gascan. This dude will be a unmitigated disaster in 2018. Spring has sprung 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2018 at 7:29 PM, Ry34No said:

This is the year

It's not. There's no way it is. It never is. 

I'm very tuned into Gausman this draft season...for the first time ever I'm actually loving the prospect of grabbing him as an SP5/SP6...maybe even an SP4 depending how the drafts are going.  I'll quote Ron Shandler's 2018 Baseball Forecaster comment on him:

"As in season's past, it took him till mid-year to hone in.  Added more sliders and splitters and got soft contact and whiffs, just what the xERA ordered, and while the specter of regression looms, it looks like he's figuring things out.  If he can ditch the false start, we'll reprise last year's UP: 3.5 ERA, 200K"

I've found the Shandler analysis over the last couple of years to be pretty on point for the most part...and I agree with this assessment.  I'm willing, and able to target him for the back half of my pitching rotations and think he'll be there.  I think the only person I'll really have to contend with his the owner who had him the 2nd half of last year and remembered the value he brought (he wasn't kept in any of my leagues).

i'm almost positive shandler was high on him last year too, which is how he ended up torpedoing a few of my teams

53 minutes ago, danp said:

i'm almost positive shandler was high on him last year too, which is how he ended up torpedoing a few of my teams

I didn't pay attention to that because I personally was way down on him.  I think I have last year's book laying around, I'll check it out.

What's not to like about a guy that has a 98 MPH sinker? Oh yeah its that 1.3 Career HR/9 average.

In any case, he is a cheap option for K's, like Bundy more on that team, division kills him.. 

Owned this guy last year, have him in a dynasty league, will probably be releasing him back into the stream.

Meanwhile in MLB.com land --> https://www.mlb.com/news/kevin-gausman-rolls-while-dylan-bundy-scuffles/c-267778998

Posted (edited)
On 3/8/2018 at 2:55 PM, fostam said:

What's not to like about a guy that has a 98 MPH sinker? Oh yeah its that 1.3 Career HR/9 average.

In any case, he is a cheap option for K's, like Bundy more on that team, division kills him.. 

Owned this guy last year, have him in a dynasty league, will probably be releasing him back into the stream.

Meanwhile in MLB.com land --> https://www.mlb.com/news/kevin-gausman-rolls-while-dylan-bundy-scuffles/c-267778998

What's not to like?

Sometimes stuff and MPH matters not when you do not know how to locate or just think a straight ball over the plate is unhittable

Edited by RolandoRoomes
add

Just pick him up in the 2nd half when he turns it around. 

Posted (edited)

last year...

113.1 IP with Caleb Joseph: 2.62 ERA, 26.3% strikeout rate

69.1 IP with Welington Castillo: 7.53 ERA, 15.6% strikeout rate.

Castillo is no longer with the team. Buy buy buy on Gausman.

Edited by ZChronicNebula
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, ZChronicNebula said:

last year...

113.1 IP with Caleb Joseph: 2.62 ERA, 26.3% strikeout rate

69.1 IP with Welington Castillo: 7.53 ERA, 15.6% strikeout rate.

Castillo is no longer with the team. Buy buy buy on Gausman.

I second this!  Castillo is bad for pitchers everywhere he goes.. I have avoided all White Sox pitchers because of this!  Good Luck Giolito!  

im on board again.....until he p[roves otherwise plan on sitting him vs Yanks/Red Sox but otherwise full speed ahead.  

On 3/3/2018 at 7:29 PM, Ry34No said:

This is the year

*Brockpapersizer LOVES this

I haven't frequented this forum much in the past few years, and I know how Gausman has become more of a meme around here, but I truthfully think this is the year he becomes a reliable fantasy option. I don't expect him to be a fantasy stud, but can see him having a k/9 over 8.5 like he has done the past few years and throwing 200 + innings. I don't really have any data to back this up, but it seems like he has been working on finding that consistency in his pitches early this year that he had to end the year last year. 

On 3/7/2018 at 3:24 AM, mevins31 said:

Lol, yeah the one he used as a kid the last time he got someone out. 

Friggin' Gascan. This dude will be a unmitigated disaster in 2018. Spring has sprung 

Okay, but do you totally ignore what he did in the 2nd half of last year and say it was just luck? I mean his K/9 went from 6.1 to 10.3 and his B/9 went from 4.4 to 3.1. It seems to me him squaring his shoulders more towards home plate helped him.  There was still some issues with homers, but the guy plays his home games on a Pony league field, and pitches in the AL east.  

Easy come easy go.

I draft him as an SP5. I don't know of a season that position didn't get dropped first from my team.

He's so cheap and has so much potential for the other scrubs around him in his price range. 

Nothing to lose - I'm giving him a good 5 starts or so before dropping, unless he has one of his obligatory blowups (5+ER)  during said 5 starts. Then I just drop. No big loss.

He is throwing a lot of strikes...that is a good sign right?