brockpapersizer

Kevin Gausman 2018 Outlook

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Who was starting him vs the Yankees?

The Fighting Waiver Wires

• Haha 1

Dropped him in my dynasty league.  This league also valued K/9 and he just wasn't cutting it for me.  Even though his ERA and WHIP have been pretty good over the past month his K/9 has taken a hit.  He never really dominated at any point in the minors and at 27 years old I don't see anything that suggests to me that he'll dominate at the big league level. 

If your league doesn't count K/9 he's probably more serviceable but at this point I think the only thing that makes him worth holding is if he's traded to a better club. 

Gausman to the Braves. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Huge bump in value, no question. As a Gausman owner for the past 5 years I'm popping the champagne!

Owners of Braves pitching prospects must be sweating bullets right now...

Edited by amcsoldier
  • Like 1

Anyone have any idea when he possibly debuts for the Braves? They play at the Mets Thrus- Sunday  :)

17 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Anyone have any idea when he possibly debuts for the Braves? They play at the Mets Thrus- Sunday  :)

Wondering the same thing. He was originally going Friday @ Tex so hopefully sometime Friday-Sunday. Mets is definitely a better matchup on paper.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

back-baby.jpg

I'm back too!  Definitely love his landing spot.

Man I'd love to see him excel in Atlanta the 2nd half of the year...I've got the opportunity to keep him so freaking cheap.  

This guy could pull a Jake Arrieta now that he has been freed from the Orioles. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, verycoolnin said:

We know who he is, a pretty average starting pitcher. 

Do you like his odds facing the Mets & Marlins over & over, instead of the Yankees & Red Sox?

Do you like his odds pitching in spacious NL parks, rather than AL East parks?

Do you think he’ll be better off facing a P 3 times/game instead of a DH 4 times?

Yours is a pretty simplistic view. The move to the NL could be a major plus. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, verycoolnin said:

We know who he is, a pretty average starting pitcher. 

Baltimore is horrendous with developing pitchers. Look at what happened when the Cubs got Arrieta out of there. 

Gausman has the ability to be a high end pitcher. He just needs to stop tinkering with his repertoire every year and prefect his craft. 

Well worth a speculative add, especially with his last couple 2nd halves... 3.41 ERA, 9.6 SO9 last year 2H, and 3.10 ERA, 8.9 SO9 in 2H 2016.

Edited by StevieStats
  • Like 3

92-97 MPH Fastball.  Splitter is good against bad teams. Slider is below average. 

43 minutes ago, verycoolnin said:

It's been year 4 and it's the same. 

4 years in the AL East. You didn’t answer my questions.

38 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Oh this again, maybe he's better.  

2 hours ago, StevieStats said:

He just needs to stop tinkering with his repertoire every year and prefect his craft. 

The last Sleeper and the Bust podcast called him out on this.  Apparently he's a bit thick skulled. Example they cited was his splitter being his best pitch yet he only threw 12 of them (for zero strikes) his last game.

I think the league change will help but I need to see a change in the above before I commit.  I'll add him in one league if I can and sit him for now. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Pitched in 22 ball parks in his career. Been around long enough for this to be a healthy sample size for AL east parks.

#5 Fenway Park .661 OPS      

# 6 Yankee Stadium .733 OPS    

# 7 Camden Yards .733 OPS    

# 9 Tropicana .744 OPS     

#12 Roger Centre .824 OPS    

Road OPS .793  OPS   Overall .764 OPS

#7 Camden Yards 3.70 ERA

#9 Roger Centre 3.83 ERA

#10 Yankee Stadium 4.02 ERA

#12 Fenway Park 4.57 ERA

#14 Tropicana  4.75 ERA

Road ERA: 4.74 ERA    Overall 4.22 ERA

Consistency has always been the main issue. Its hard to put it on ball park factors when historically the Rays at Tropicana have been the AL east team to give him the most trouble. While the parks outside of the AL east fair worse than Yankee Stadium, Fenway and Camden. 

Facing a pitcher 3 times? Yes an obvious plus. Braves still need to fix his issues or its just going to be more of the same.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, verycoolnin said:

It's been year 4 and it's the same. 

If it's the same, then run to the wire and grab him ASAP, because his last two 2nd halves have been great...

Posted (edited)

I'm interested in the change of teams,  but Arrieta and Gausman had different pitching coaches in their respective times in Baltimore. Gausman had Adair for 1 season, McDowell for the rest. As a Braves fan, I was not a fan of McDowell while he was there, so a change of scenery could still help, I just have  no illusions of an Arrieta type turn around.

He is getting a better defense behind him, getting pitchers to throw to, and getting an easier schedule.

Edited by Bigfische
  • Like 1

I don't think you can dismiss the fact that Baltimore, no matter who's in been in charge, hasn't developed a genuine frontline pitcher since Mike Mussina. Gausman may or may not flip a switch in Atlanta but I think he stands a far better chance of meeting his potential there. 

• Like 1

Second half H2H league stud, I've got some excitement