Sign in to follow this  
The Big Bat Theory

Boston Red Sox 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-05. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

9 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

It is just for LA where they have to play with old fashion rules from the 1800's so have to find a way to get JD's bat into the line-up different than the norm.  (NL, grow up and join the 21st century).    And I imagine it will have a lot to do with how the two games in Boston go.  They could well stick with Kinsler for D or go with Holt who is a decent 2B.  Maybe wait and make moves in mid-game.  But Mookie has been taking a lot of infield reps at 2B the last few days with Pedroia out there working with him. And he played 2B a few innings this season.  So if it makes sense to Cora he will play Mookie at 2B.

Of course this is just for the Series.  No intention of moving him to 2B going forward has ever remotely been mentioned or even speculated about.

At least JD can still field a position and isn't built like a glorified beer league softball player that doesn't belong on a field.

The gimmick that is the DH is a disgrace to baseball.

I'd love to see the Sox at least consider playing Betts at 2nd a little bit once Pedroia is out of the way. The fact that they are doing it now, means that they are at least open to that idea.  Despite the lack of versatility that the DH invites in the AL, it still seems to be a quality that a lot of teams are embracing around baseball.

On 10/22/2018 at 12:52 AM, KingJoffrey said:

The Steve Pierce trade looks good.  Betts  demolished LHP but h'es the only guy who hit better against LHP. Benny Can't hit them all neither can JBJ or Devers.

Dodgers will probably use Kershaw, Ryu and Hill at some point as starters.  Very LHP heavy.

Yes, yes it does. His 1B stretch has manufactured quite a few outs, even better than a good OF assist man.

13 hours ago, The Czar said:

I'd love to see the Sox at least consider playing Betts at 2nd a little bit once Pedroia is out of the way. The fact that they are doing it now, means that they are at least open to that idea.  Despite the lack of versatility that the DH invites in the AL, it still seems to be a quality that a lot of teams are embracing around baseball.

Betts is a FA way before Pedroia's contract runs out unfortunately.  I wish Pedroia would realize it is time to hang them up and move on because his knee is shot but alas he will try to make a comeback.

Can we appreciate how good of a hitter JD is? As long as he can stay healthy I see him having a monster year after year. Boston seems perfect for him.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GC Tacos said:

Can we appreciate how good of a hitter JD is? As long as he can stay healthy I see him having a monster year after year. Boston seems perfect for him.

ya, he has been one of the best FA signings for boston that i can remember.

@The Big Bat Theory - can you think of a better one?  pedro and ortiz were both trades i think...same with sale

9 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

@The Big Bat Theory - can you think of a better one?  pedro and ortiz were both trades i think...same with sale

Well for the record Minnesota released David Ortiz before the 2003 season so Boston picked up his contract.

... the Red Sox took a flier on Ortiz with a contract that had a $1.25 million base salary. It should be noted that the Twins tried to find a trade partner for Ortiz but couldn't, and Ortiz didn't even sign with Boston until more than a month after he was released.

And as far as trades I'd like to add getting Jason Varitek and Derrick Lowe for Heathcliff Slocomb for both lopsidedness and both players being extremely important in breaking the curse on the 2004 team.  (Thanks again for one of many crazy trades Seattle made over the years not just to Boston but to other teams as well).

But Boston hasn't done as well in free agency as we think of it today for sure.  As a fantasy owner of JD since his first year with the Tigers as well as a real life Red Sox fan I'm definitely on this being the best "pure" FA on the market for big bucks deal for Boston.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

On 10/25/2018 at 6:11 PM, jfazz23 said:

Ummm... MANNY RAMIREZ???

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StevieStats said:

Ummm... MANNY RAMIREZ???

the roid abusing woman beater? 

ya i forgot him.  but JDM had a 6.4 WAR this year which is higher than any of manny's boston years. 

Missed opportunity for the Sox last night.  Hopefully the Dodgers win the next 3 now.

• Like 1

Once again the Boston Red Sox showed why they are the best team in baseball.

• Like 1

Why is that a surprise?  I feel that there is still something wrong with Sale's shoulder. Giving an additional day won't hurt and best case scenario the Series ends today and no need to pitch Sale again till next year. Sale saying there is nothing wrong and he could pitch is a long way from nothing wrong. Players lie and want to compete.

This Series, if Boston wins, will be won by the better manager. Every move that Cora has made seems to be the right one at the time. Roberts trotting out Madson is baffling and just leaving him in is more baffling. But the Dodger bullpen isn't built for today's game.

On 10/27/2018 at 5:06 PM, MrBrown said:

Missed opportunity for the Sox last night.  Hopefully the Dodgers win the next 3 now.

How'd that work out for ya?  ;-)

Sorry, couldn't resist.  Also since I usually root for the Yankees in a Series over a NL team it seemed a weird wish from a fellow AL East person.  Oh well.

Also, great time to be a Red Sox fan I have to say.

Had a feeling Pearce  would wind up winning MVP.  Way to go !

Edited by KingJoffrey
  • Like 1

I will visit my mother today to tell her, her Red Sox won the World Series. A true baseball fan especially the Red Sox. I miss our trips to Fenway.

She had been dead for two years (October 14th).

No doubt  today she is all decked out in Red Sox stuff, showing her colors.

Love & miss you Mom

• Like 5

They were the best team by far all year, they deserved to win, kudos to Dombrowski for getting Pearce and Eovaldi, 2 moves that didn't seem like much at the time but proved vital in them winning the title

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

They were the best team by far all year, they deserved to win, kudos to Dombrowski for getting Pearce and Eovaldi, 2 moves that didn't seem like much at the time but proved vital in them winning the title

Good points. 

Great team the Red Sox were this year, just absolutely dominating. 

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Sorry, couldn't resist.  Also since I usually root for the Yankees in a Series over a NL team it seemed a weird wish from a fellow AL East person.  Oh well.

`Ha... I really didn't care who won the World Series.  Completely uninvested in it once the Yankees were out.  But Cora gave the Yankees plenty of reasons to dislike the Sox when he was taunting Yankees coaches earlier in the year.  Though I think he eventually apologized and admitted he was wrong.

Oh well I'm glad the offseason can officially start now. That's all I really care about.

3 hours ago, azeri98 said:

That is what seems to happen a lot in this era, living in Giants country I watched as Cody Ross, who was a waiver block so padres couldnt get him (Giants bat was Guillen at the deadline) go on to hit 2 HR in Game 1 of Halladay and be NLCS MVP.   Another one of their MVP cant remember what year was Marco Scutaro.  A David Freese one year.  

No dog in the fight other than not wanting to see the Dodgers win...but glad that the team who was best in the regular season won, I think in a lot of ways in the is era the World Series has been somewhat devalued or watered down because there are too many variables to get here with 2 series, the time waiting can be a momentum killer for some, etc.  It just seems the Television ratings and the bottom dollar have devalued the World Series - having 3 divisions, wild cards is about keeping fans interested longer, the schedule stalls out at times some years due to TV all of which are I think good for trying to keep fans engaged and grow the game, but probably devalues winning a World Series vs previous generations. 

• Like 2

On 10/24/2018 at 8:06 AM, The Czar said:

At least JD can still field a position and isn't built like a glorified beer league softball player that doesn't belong on a field.

The gimmick that is the DH is a disgrace to baseball.

The DH is used at every level of the game except for the national league.  

• Like 2

On 10/29/2018 at 9:30 AM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Did you see what low-class Cora had to say at the parade?  "We scored 16 runs at Yankee Stadium..Suck on it."  Wow and that's a big-league manager?  Yea plenty of reason not to root for them.  About as low-class as I've ever seen.  Like Rex Ryan started coaching baseball.

22 hours ago, MrBrown said:

Did you see what low-class Cora had to say at the parade?  "We scored 16 runs at Yankee Stadium..Suck on it."  Wow and that's a big-league manager?  Yea plenty of reason not to root for them.  About as low-class as I've ever seen.  Like Rex Ryan started coaching baseball.

LOL, did you really read the quote?  That was aimed at the Boston media, NOT the NY Yankees.

“The New York Yankees, yeah, the sky was falling,” Cora said. “We lost (ALDS) Game 2, and there was panicking here, everybody’s all, ‘whoa, it’s over.’ We scored 16 at Yankee Stadium. Suck on it.”