jfazz23

Greg Bird 2018 Outlook

1 hour ago, Meisce said:

That’s where they said he would bat pre-injury. Didi’s emergence may change this but depending on form, it’ll likely be one of the two going forward. They want to break the big righties up.

Correct.  And Didi has been as bad as any MLB hitter for the past 3 weeks.  He'll be moved down when Bird returns unless he turns it on in a big way.  But Bird is very close to a return at this point.

Not going to bother responding to the people that believe he won't be hitting 3rd.  They'll be proven wrong soon enough.

• Like 1

How much play does he get? Austin has been pretty damn good so far and the Birdman is clubbing .180 in his rehab, doesn't really scream out him playing everyday

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

How much play does he get? Austin has been pretty damn good so far and the Birdman is clubbing .180 in his rehab, doesn't really scream out him playing everyday

Austin has been “pretty damn good”? Maybe for your fantasy team. 

In real life, he’s K’ing 37.1% of the time. Same as last year. 38.2% career.

.309 OBP. .283 OBP last year. .300 career OBP.

Greg Bird may prevent himself from playing time, but Austin isn’t very good and shouldn’t be in the way.

• Like 2

Austin is a lefty assasin - I assume he’ll continue to draw starts against them.

Reports are saying he might be up by Friday.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Greg Bird proceeded to hit a home run in his first at bat. 

2 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Reports are saying he might be up by Friday.  

ok ok

over under 30 homers rest of season????

5 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

ok ok

over under 30 homers rest of season????

So you’re asking if the o/u for him is a 45 home run pace? You can prob figure out that one yourself. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SportsBrain said:

So you’re asking if the o/u for him is a 45 home run pace? You can prob figure out that one yourself. 

youre right. its an easy over.

dont know what i was thinking. i guess i just didnt wanna seem like a total fanboy 

Edited by jfazz23
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

If he's healthy, they should bring him up.

Big Yankee fan here, and have shares of him in fantasy so I want him to be the next great thing as much as the next guy.  But it seems his abysmal batting average is being ignored.  Other than the few HR’s he’s hit, what is the reason for the crazy optimism?  Granted, he may secure a sweet spot in the batting order, but if he can’t hit it won’t mean a thing.

7 minutes ago, soccerphysio said:

Big Yankee fan here, and have shares of him in fantasy so I want him to be the next great thing as much as the next guy.  But it seems his abysmal batting average is being ignored.  Other than the few HR’s he’s hit, what is the reason for the crazy optimism?  Granted, he may secure a sweet spot in the batting order, but if he can’t hit it won’t mean a thing.

Yeah he was going in the 10th round of 12-teamers before the injury but I never understood why, was it that he had a great spring? It's not like he finished Strong last year, only got 0.232 in September, he did however cut down his k& from 30% in the first half of last year to 20% in the 2nd half

39 minutes ago, soccerphysio said:

A lot of it is just for fun and being hyperbolic. I don't think he's going to be JD Martinez or anything. That being said, BA in a 20 PA sample size in the minors? He has a .083 babip and a .350 OBP. He''ll be fine.

27 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Yeah he was going in the 10th round of 12-teamers before the injury but I never understood why, was it that he had a great spring? It's not like he finished Strong last year, only got 0.232 in September, he did however cut down his k& from 30% in the first half of last year to 20% in the 2nd half

Batting average wasn't great in September as you mentioned, but he had an  848 OPS and he hit a lefty lefty home run off Andrew Miller in the playoffs to a 938 OPS over 41 playoff AB. Also a lot of us play in leagues without batting average.   Maybe something of a Matt Olson type player with litte bit of better batting average but in the Yankees lineup is the hope.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Last 14 games of the '17 regular season - .295/.373/.795   Followed that up with having a terrific post-season.

He didn't have a good spring.  It had to do with ernormous potential and hitting 3rd in the Yankees lineup is nice too.

Brock and Mr B....very good points.  Things just feel like they are set up for a colossal disappointment, again.  Really hope I’m wrong.

2 hours ago, soccerphysio said:

He hit .261 with a .343 OBP, .871 OPS, and 11 HRs in 157 ABs as a 22 year old.  He also showed a lot of patience at the plate and looked mature beyond his years.  Factor in that his team plays in a great hitter's park, with a stacked lineup, and those are the reasons that many are so optimistic as to his outlook. 

Unfortunately, he really hasn't been able to stay healthy since he put up the above referenced numbers (back in 2015).  He missed all of 2016 with a shoulder issue, was arguably the best hitter in the league during Spring Training in 2017, then started having heel and ankle problems as the regular season began, I believe resulting in two separate surgeries last year. He had more issues with the heel and ankle this Spring, neccessitating yet another surgery.

The injuries are obviously a problem, and he'll need to show he can stay healthy or he could go the way of Nick Johnson.  But the talent is real, and the opportunity for him to seize the 1B job and put up big numbers is there.  He may not ever win a batting title, but he's not a sub-.200 hitter either.

Edited by Skrappy1
  • Thanks 1

Another Birdy bomb.

It was apparently of the "moonshot" variety.

Edited by DannyMcPot
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, DannyMcPot said:

Another Birdy bomb.

It was apparently of the "moonshot" variety.

bring him up

Which one of these scenarios is most likely?

A- He hits .200

B- He's back on the DL by the ASB

C- He hits 30 homers ROS

Since I have him in 2 dynasties and a bunch of other leagues, I am hoping for C. But my gut say A or B is most likely.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

A- He hits .200

C- He hits 30 homers ROS

Since I have him in 2 dynasties and a bunch of other leagues, I am hoping for C. But my gut say A or B is most likely.

D- He hits .300/47 homeruns

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

A- He hits .200

C- He hits 30 homers ROS

I'm sort of a glass half empty guy, so I am leaning toward B. Praying for C though.

39 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

A- He hits .200

C- He hits 30 homers ROS

I own him, but come on. This poll is silly because C is ridiculous, so it’s clearly one of the first two.

When he returns the Yankees will have played ~50 games. 30 HRs ROS will be a ~45 HR pace. When Bird comes back, there might be what, 3 guys who hit 30 HRs ROS? Expecting that is foolish. If he can hit 20-22 (30-35 HR pace?) that would be a huge success.