roygbiv

Question about Dynasty leagues

I see a lot of new dynasty leagues starting up over at "Basketball LegueFinder Service". I also see many existing dynasty leagues looking for replacement managers. I'm joining a small $ dynasty league for the first time this year, and I'm wondering how long the average "non-friend" dynasty league stays functional?

really depends.  I think once you've been in one or two that are very well run and have good, dedicated managers, you can tell ones that aren't and see the red flags fairly quickly.  Look for ones where the commissioner really has a handle on how everything will be run, the rules are very clear and straightforward (as opposed to leaving things open or changing anything often - this is what will often anger various owners and could be the string that causes everything to unravel).  However, this is why i think it's always smart in dynasty leagues to not go too crazy with drafting only rookies or future potential guys.  If you're planning for guys who could be really good 3-4 years down the line (think d'aaron fox, ingram, skal, Isaac, etc - leaving you with high draft picks for the next few years) but your league never makes it that far, you're SOL.  Not saying only draft old vets, but keep this in mind to avoid having a really bad experience bc you just never know with dynasty leagues.  

The league I'm in now is on its 7th season. It depends on the activity of the managers and especially the commissioner.

I have been in a dynasty roto league 12 teams for 6 years now.  The core of 8 owners has remained the same while we had others come and go.