IsraeliPSYCHO

John Wall 2017-2018 Season Outlook

Recommended Posts

He just gave his team mates 30k worth of Rolex watch each, so he should be allowed to shoot from everywhere next game

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He sat out the 2nd quarter strangely, but they got blown out anyways, so he got rest. He's healthy heading into tomorrow, so hopefully he bounces back. He didn't play bad in his limited minutes, he just looked like he wasn't going full speed, like he was holding back. Once he's 100%, we'll see the real John Wall. Patience is a virtue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PasqualeSiakam said:

Is it time to buy loww?

Yes. Rotoworld even talked about it:

 

John Wall played just 16 minutes on Friday, registering 10 points (4-of-11 FGs, 1-of-1 FTs), two rebounds, four assists, one 3-pointer and nothing else in a 119-84 blowout loss to the Nets. Wall just hasn’t really had a “wow-game” this season, and while he’s been sending away a career-high 1.2 shots per contest, his scoring (19.3), assists (8.6), steals (1.2) and shooting percentages (41.7 FG%, 70.5 FT%) has been less than what we'd typically expect from the All-Star. However, I think it’s only a matter of time until Wall returns to Optimus Dime-mode. Let’s dig a bit deeper into the numbers.

 

First off, there’s just no way his free throw percentage doesn’t come up drastically as we get deeper into the season. His current 70.5% clip is a career-low by a huge margin (last year he shot 80.1% from the stripe), and as a career 78.8% free throw shooter, this simply has to see a regression to the mean at some point. Same goes for the steals numbers, Wall is typically elite in this category and hasn’t averaged less than 1.5 steals per game since 2012.

 

His jumper has also been slightly off this year as he’s connecting on just 33% of his jump shots (down from 35.5% last season), and he’s also connecting on just 29% of his mid-range looks (down from 38.7% last season). Lastly, 43.8% of his attempts can be described as open looks, which is up from last season (35.2%), but he’s only connecting on 37.7% of those shots (down from 44.7% last year). I just don’t see how these numbers don’t correct themselves at some point, so I see Wall (currently just top-80) as a premiere buy-low target considering he’s been a top-20 finisher for the past two seasons.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 assists in only 30 minutes! This is the John Wall I traded for! The scoring will come, the assists are encouraging. He's only going to trend upward from here!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trusthaprocess said:

13 assists in only 30 minutes! This is the John Wall I traded for! The scoring will come, the assists are encouraging. He's only going to trend upward from here!

 

HUGE caveat tonight with Washington playing an Orlando team absolutely destroyed by injuries, but I agree I can't see his production being any worse than it is currently.  As long as he's healthy he should improve...hopefully.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I watch him play, the more I am disgusted. He nonchalantly dribbles up the court, and is passive all possession long. He only  shoots when he has to, which he bricks most of the time (0/3 today so far). This isn't the John Wall i know. He's not being aggressive at all. It's like he's holding back. Kyrie is eating his lunch today. He's been awful. I traded Dray for this guy, and he's making me look foolish. Kyrie has been outperforming him this year. Wall hasn't even been playing like a super-star, let alone a star this year. He needs to get aggressive, or Washington won't have a chance. This is a hot take, but I can't be alone here. He's sucked lately. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, trusthaprocess said:

The more I watch him play, the more I am disgusted. He nonchalantly dribbles up the court, and is passive all possession long. He only  shoots when he has to, which he bricks most of the time (0/3 today so far). This isn't the John Wall i know. He's not being aggressive at all. It's like he's holding back. Kyrie is eating his lunch today. He's been awful. I traded Dray for this guy, and he's making me look foolish. Kyrie has been outperforming him this year. Wall hasn't even been playing like a super-star, let alone a star this year. He needs to get aggressive, or Washington won't have a chance. This is a hot take, but I can't be alone here. He's sucked lately. 

I am glad I don't watch him anymore like I did when the Wizards were on national TV a couple of times at the beginning of the season.  I know I've said it before, but I'm a first time owner, and it was actually more enjoyable to not watch him play.  Except for the week or so right before he went out with his knee injury, he hasn't been the John Wall I expected by a long shot.  I actually ended up trading him over the weekend for Andre Drummond since I really need the Rebounds and he's actually exceeding expectations.

 

That's not to say that Wall won't be the Wall we expected at some point, but I had enough.  I'm actually wishing I didn't play him tonight, and if he doesn't get his s--- together the rest of the game, I might not even bother playing him in the final game I still have him for before the traded is processed.  I have guys on my bench that at least can shoot.

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KilloWertz said:

I am glad I don't watch him anymore like I did when the Wizards were on national TV a couple of times at the beginning of the season.  I know I've said it before, but I'm a first time owner, and it was actually more enjoyable to not watch him play.  Except for the week or so right before he went out with his knee injury, he hasn't been the John Wall I expected by a long shot.  I actually ended up trading him over the weekend for Andre Drummond since I really need the Rebounds and he's actually exceeding expectations.

 

That's not to say that Wall won't be the Wall we expected at some point, but I had enough.  I'm actually wishing I didn't play him tonight, and if he doesn't get his s--- together the rest of the game, I might not even bother playing him in the final game I still have him for before the traded is processed.  I have guys on my bench that at least can shoot.

He's looking like Rajon Rondo out there...not good. Bricking jumpers,  FT's. I can't trade him b/c there is virtually nobody in the league with his type of stats. Nobody except Westbrook and Harden averaged 20/10 last year. I have to hold on b/c of that potential, and I have nobody else on my team elite in assists....Drummond is a solid asset...I just have to be patient, just like with Kawhi...it's just frustrating b/c I know how much of a beast Wall is when he is aggressive. Nobody can guard him. But he chooses to take jumpers and defer instead, it's bizarre. Rajon Rondo 2.0. I hope my patience will win out in the end!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, trusthaprocess said:

He's looking like Rajon Rondo out there...not good. Bricking jumpers,  FT's. I can't trade him b/c there is virtually nobody in the league with his type of stats. Nobody except Westbrook and Harden averaged 20/10 last year. I have to hold on b/c of that potential, and I have nobody else on my team elite in assists....Drummond is a solid asset...I just have to be patient, just like with Kawhi...it's just frustrating b/c I know how much of a beast Wall is when he is aggressive. Nobody can guard him. But he chooses to take jumpers and defer instead, it's bizarre. Rajon Rondo 2.0. I hope my patience will win out in the end!

I really do hope he gets it together.  There are few like him (especially the blocks), which is why I drafted him as well and held on to him this long.  His FT shooting is probably the most bizarre.

 

For me, he was my only true PG (Mitchell is more of a SG with his production in Assists in my opinion), but I still was able to do it because I ended up with several guys that chip in 3-4 Assists a game, so I kind of accidentally allowed myself to eventually have enough and trade him for a big man.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

I really do hope he gets it together.  There are few like him (especially the blocks), which is why I drafted him as well and held on to him this long.  His FT shooting is probably the most bizarre.

 

For me, he was my only true PG (Mitchell is more of a SG with his production in Assists in my opinion), but I still was able to do it because I ended up with several guys that chip in 3-4 Assists a game, so I kind of accidentally allowed myself to eventually have enough and trade him for a big man.

That's a good position to be in, few can rebound like Drummond, and he's been respectable from the line this year. But Wall finished the half well. Rozier and Irving can't guard him when he attacks. He needs to stop settling for jumpers and go into attack mode, that's what's working. He's on his way to a double double as long as he remains aggressive. He's going half speed out there...but I don't blame you for making the trade. I'm holding because I believe that positive regression is on the way for him. Patience is required for this situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Wall and he's one of my favourite players, but he's been off this season. Such a beast last year so it's disappointing so far.

 

For what it's worth, he probably still has some trade value if you're looking to trade him in your league.

 

I just did a trail of trades this week: Wall + Lee > Lillard > AD + Harris > Giannis > KD. You can always salvage value :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ovofnd said:

I love Wall and he's one of my favourite players, but he's been off this season. Such a beast last year so it's disappointing so far.

 

For what it's worth, he probably still has some trade value if you're looking to trade him in your league.

 

I just did a trail of trades this week: Wall + Lee > Lillard > AD + Harris > Giannis > KD. You can always salvage value :ph34r:

Or you could be patient haha but those are interesting trades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bang, 21/5/14. He went into attack mode in the 2nd half, and he led Washington to victory. Nobody can guard this guy when he's in attack mode. He's too fast, and too crafty. He's going to have his lumps, but the John Wall I know is starting to return. He needs to keep the pedal to the medal and stay in attack mode. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, trusthaprocess said:

Bang, 21/5/14. He went into attack mode in the 2nd half, and he led Washington to victory. Nobody can guard this guy when he's in attack mode. He's too fast, and too crafty. He's going to have his lumps, but the John Wall I know is starting to return. He needs to keep the pedal to the medal and stay in attack mode. 

 

Love the enthusiasm haha. Good game by Wall today!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ovofnd said:

 

Love the enthusiasm haha. Good game by Wall today!

I think I can speak for all fantasy basketball owners when I say that I'm happy I'm finally getting a return an investment I made! I traded Dray and Dinwiddie away for Wall, because of games like this. I'm just relieved that I was patient for these past couple of weeks. It was a good game, hopefully he keeps this up moving forward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he probably read the forums at the half watching you guys rant about not wanting to watch him play

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ComeOnAndSlam said:

His FT% regression is infuriating.  What is going on with this guy?

I've said it before in my criticism towards him this season that his FT shooting has to be mental.  He's never been a liability in the past, and at times it truly looks like he is aiming his FTs and I suppose praying they go in.  I put on the 4th quarter of their Christmas game just for the hell of it even though I lost the desire to watch Wall play weeks ago, and even my brother noticed the fact that he was basically aiming his FTs during one trip to the line.  He oddly followed that up shortly after with perfect form and two makes, so even though he earned praise in this thread for his overall game, what I saw was still as maddening as ever.

 

He also wasn't aggressive that whole second half either, as in the short time I watched him in the 4th, he pulled up to take an unnecessary jumper more than once.  Actually, in two straight possessions, he pulled up and missed horribly right after he was actually aggressive and drove right passed the PG.

 

Will he get himself straightened out and eventually be the John Wall we all drafted?  I'd say it's better than 50/50, but I'm still more than happy that tonight was the last game I own him for.  I already mentioned that I got Drummond for him, and obviously his FT shooting is still somewhat of a liability even though he's made huge strides, but oddly enough I won't notice the difference since Wall hasn't been any better there in December.  Drummond is actually getting more Steals than Wall too, which is also sad in a way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he is the worst 1st round pick in this season so far,rank outside top 90 till now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm just hoping he breaks out come playoff time..is it me or does he not look as explosive as he used to? maybe his knee is still bothering him or hes trying to shake the rust off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to trade him . He's more of a specialist right now then a fantasy star need to move him to compete for the playoffs and I'm sure other owners were in my shoes as well.

Edited by phatrat
AC content removed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.