IsraeliPSYCHO

John Wall 2017-2018 Season Outlook

He is 6 pts below his career FG% right now.  Also significantly up in FT attempts and %.

He has improved over the years but has never been a good outside shooter.  He's off to a particularly bad start shooting just 14% from 3 right now.

The FG% should go up soon and hopefully significantly.

6 minutes ago, RCRanger03 said:

Never have owned JWall before, picked him and Paul (FML) on the 9/12 turn. Is he a FG% drag like this normally? I thought he was middle of the road.

He's never going to have a particularly high FG%. He will most likely end up in the 43-45% range, which is perfectly fine but not great when it doesn't come with a ton of 3's. As was stated on this thread he is great for a punt fg% and to build. It's personally my favorite build to run and I have had tons of success with it.  FWIW, wouldn't worry about Wall one bit. He always gets his and doesn't miss many games. 

13 hours ago, RCRanger03 said:

Went to bed with him being 6 of 12 with a ho hum line, but I was okay with it due to it not hurting me in %s (My team is solidly over 50% for the season). Thought get them next time tiger...

Woke up to 7 of 22, STILL with a ho hum line and I has the sads

That's actually exactly how things went with me.  I went to bed after he went 4/4 in the third quarter (he was 2/8 in the first half) and was obviously disappointed when I saw his line in the morning.

14 hours ago, igotbakingsoda said:

He went up against lonzo cut him some slack /s

He deserves no slack when he was the one talking trash on social media.  There's no excuse when you do that and then lay a turd on the court and slip in it.

With that said, I said this in my post and somebody else did after, it will be a lot of fun to have him when he has the huge game that corrects a lot of his early season shortcomings (horrible FG% and lack of 3's and Steals).  I'm still obviously on board with him, but I'm also not going to cut him slack when he doesn't deserve it.

33 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

That's actually exactly how things went with me.  I went to bed after he went 4/4 in the third quarter (he was 2/8 in the first half) and was obviously disappointed when I saw his line in the morning.

He deserves no slack when he was the one talking trash on social media.  There's no excuse when you do that and then lay a turd on the court and slip in it.

With that said, I said this in my post and somebody else did after, it will be a lot of fun to have him when he has the huge game that corrects a lot of his early season shortcomings (horrible FG% and lack of 3's and Steals).  I'm still obviously on board with him, but I'm also not going to cut him slack when he doesn't deserve it.

John was complimentary when talking about Lonzo. The one talking trash was Marcin Gortat. 

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

You should highlight my post up there

8 hours ago, lbjames6 said:

John was complimentary when talking about Lonzo. The one talking trash was Marcin Gortat. 

I thought they said it was Wall.  If not, then my bad.

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

I thought they said it was Wall.  If not, then my bad.

Gortat started it, but Wall continued on it in a more measured manner https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/wizards-john-wall-says-hell-show-no-mercy-to-lonzo-ball-after-lavars-comments/

"Nah, no mercy," Wall responded when asked if he would show leniency to the 19-year-old rookie point guard despite his braggadocious father.

"Certain matchups you really get up for. Like when you play [Golden State Warriors guard] Steph [Curry], you definitely want to have a good game," Wall said. "I'm playing against [Ball]. [Gortat] said what he said about me. I didn't say anything. His dad has been talking. ... That makes me want to go out there and lead my team and play the best I can play.

"His dad has gone on top of all that. Forget what the media is saying. 'This is what my son is.' Which, I'm not knocking him. He's hyping his son up but he's already getting all that hype. ... He's just taking it to another level.

"We didn't say nothing about him, nothing to him, and he says, 'The Wizards better be ready because he don't ever lose two in a row,'" Wall continued, then scoffed at the absurdity of the father's boast. "Like, this is the league now. It's a different ballgame."

Edited by RCRanger03

1 minute ago, RCRanger03 said:

Gortat started it, but Wall continued on it https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/wizards-john-wall-says-hell-show-no-mercy-to-lonzo-ball-after-lavars-comments/

"Nah, no mercy," Wall responded when asked if he would show leniency to the 19-year-old rookie point guard despite his braggadocious father.

"Certain matchups you really get up for. Like when you play [Golden State Warriors guard] Steph [Curry], you definitely want to have a good game," Wall said. "I'm playing against [Ball]. [Gortat] said what he said about me. I didn't say anything. His dad has been talking. ... That makes me want to go out there and lead my team and play the best I can play.

"His dad has gone on top of all that. Forget what the media is saying. 'This is what my son is.' Which, I'm not knocking him. He's hyping his son up but he's already getting all that hype. ... He's just taking it to another level.

"We didn't say nothing about him, nothing to him, and he says, 'The Wizards better be ready because he don't ever lose two in a row,'" Wall continued, then scoffed at the absurdity of the father's boast. "Like, this is the league now. It's a different ballgame."

If that's considered trash talking then the league is officially Charmin soft. 

• Like 1

Note to John Wall.  The ball is supposed to go in the basket.  You still aren't figuring that out...

Yes, I'm obviously still kidding around and am not worried about him.  :)  I guess it says something that he can put up a 20 Point, 14 Assist line even without his shot.

Edited by KilloWertz

steals cut in half this year so far..i know its still early. blocks doubled though lol. im hoping the steals start trending up because correct me if I'm wrong but he was, or one of the league leaders in steals last year.

6 minutes ago, rage2021 said:

steals cut in half this year so far..i know its still early. blocks doubled though lol. im hoping the steals start trending up because correct me if I'm wrong but he was, or one of the league leaders in steals last year.

Yeah, I've been waiting for his steals to come around along with his FG%.  The steals were part of the reason why I drafted him, but you would think they would come around soon.  His shooting seems to have with last night's game.

You were right that he lead the league in steals last year with 157.

yeah thats what i thought and one of the main reasons of drafting him as well. i thought i would have steals locked up but i lost last week by a few.

4 minutes ago, rage2021 said:

yeah thats what i thought and one of the main reasons of drafting him as well. i thought i would have steals locked up but i lost last week by a few.

Last night he hit 5 Threes out of nowhere, so maybe in his next game he'll get 5 Steals.  It is going to be against Phoenix...

I need those steals as well! Him being low so far, and CP3 being out is really killing the top of my draft which was suppose to help me solidly lock down Assist and Steals.

I've also struggled more in steals than I expected to due to Wall averaging only 1.0 SPG. However, this is a guy who has averaged 1.8, 1.7. 1.9 and 2.0 SPG over the last four seasons. I don't see anything fundamentally different with the Wizards this year which would cause his steals to drop that much, so just hang in there! I'm expecting him to finish the season at 1.8+ SPG.

Edited by durantula1234

First time Wall owner. I was expecting more so far being the last pick in my 10 team league. Went Wall/Cousins. Does it get better for Wall? I'm hoping so. 

2 hours ago, HispasianTuna said:

First time Wall owner. I was expecting more so far being the last pick in my 10 team league. Went Wall/Cousins. Does it get better for Wall? I'm hoping so. 

That's the exact same combo I went with in my draft, except I took Cousins before Wall.

It should get better.  He's not the bad shooter he was before his last game, and obviously he's also a much better source of steals than he was before that game too.  He'll be fine.

I'm actually expecting his best game of the season tonight since it's against the Cavs.  We saw what Darren Collison did against them in the last game, and with all due respect to him (I have him too), he's no John Wall.

He's worse than Drummond now.  Drummond is shooting 83% tonight against me.

Wall just went down hard with a left shoulder injury.  Shooting his FTs now so we'll see if he's good to go.

John Wall finished the game but Brooks says he has a left shoulder sprain. Will get X-Rays later

NOOOOOOOOOOO

Ok, so I was way off on my prediction.  It was a sound one though after Collison tore the Cavs to shreds.

Anyways, no, I'm not giving up on him, not trading him, he's obviously going to be great at some point, but this is getting frustrating now when I'm now even dreading him going to the FT line.

As for the injury, he was in quite a bit of pain after it happened, but the fact that he finished the game (minus them taking the starters out late) might be a sign it's nothing serious.  Can't judge anything by his shot since that hasn't been there much this whole season.  Just have to hope for the best I guess.

On one hand, it would be a blessing the way he's destroying all the percentages, but obviously the real John Wall is going to stand up eventually.  Hopefully it's nothing serious.  I can stomach a game or two.  It might even be a genuine blessing so he can get his head right, because at the very least the FT issues he's having right now are purely mental.

Edited by KilloWertz

He's in a sling right now. Feels bad man. Hope it's just temporary. God's speed. 

Yeah hope it’s temp! Will he get inj tag tho?