The Big Bat Theory

St. Louis Cardinals 2018 Outlook

38 minutes ago, Sine_cera said:

It sounds like this is more on Mike Matheny than Norris who is being egged on by Matheny who hates that baseball has gotten so "soft" and wants to encourage a hazing culture towards rookies.  That manager is nuts. 

I don't think any other team is still back in the stone age with this type of crap either.  I've heard, seen and read constant comments on other teams that the reverse is now true and rookies are welcomed and respected and nurtured.  No wonder St Louis is going down the toilet these days.

• Like 1

Matheny had no managerial experiencing. It was fine, because he was a "Motivator" and "Leader of men"

He's pretty much, by all measures, a terrible in-game strategist...

So, if he's not a good tactician, and he's now kind of lost control of team - Or most of the team seems to hate him, what's he do?

Pretty shocking...

I hated Matheny, hated him very much. But, Mo' has just as much to do with the recent ineptness lately.

His talent evaluation has been dreadful.

Bad contracts like Fowler, Wainwright, Wong, Allen Craig, Mike Leake, Peralta, Broxton

And almost zero home-grown offensive talent during his stay. Carpenter and maybe Pham, though Pham is old and has sucked 80% of the year.

Carson Kelly doesn't look great

Bader is whatever.

But for a team who's had 4 managers in the last 38 years, pretty shocking to fire him mid-season - not even at ASG Break

Edited by Gumbo_Ghost

4 minutes ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

Pretty shocking...

I hated Matheny, hated him very much. But, Mo' has just as much to do with the recent ineptness lately.

Bad contracts like Fowler, Wainwright, Wong, Allen Craig, Mike Leake, Peralta, Broxton

And almost zero home-grown offensive talent during his stay. Carpenter and maybe Pham, though Pham is old and has sucked 80% of the year.

Bader is whatever.

But for a team who's had 4 managers in the last 38 years, pretty shocking to fire him mid-season - not even at ASG Break

should have made luhnhow THE GUY imo.  i havent liked Mo for quite some time.

5 minutes ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

Pretty shocking...

Bader is whatever.

To be fair.. I thought Allen Craig was going to be the next superstar. 

2 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

To be fair.. I thought Allen Craig was going to be the next superstar. 

Ya, I liked him a lot.

Feet injuries maybe pushed him off the map.

But, still talent evaluation. Same with Wong, and the contract isn't bad, but he's just not good...

Signing Fowler seemingly out of desperation after not getting Eaton, not pulling the trigger on Yelich over Ozuna, etc etc

He's not done much since the 2011 moves that helped them win the WS

Could Matheny’s firing be due to possible clubhouse issues?  The Norris/Hicks thing being the tip of the iceberg.  Maybe other issues start leaking out???

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Could Matheny’s firing be due to possible clubhouse issues?  The Norris/Hicks thing being the tip of the iceberg.  Maybe other issues start leaking out???

That article was s---. Hicks squashed that. If anything having Matheny out of there will help the clubhouse. His decision making and favoritism was the reason there would be any issues anyways.

2 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

THANK GOD

now fire mozeliak

Don't know who he is but they did get rid of the hitting coaches too.  Not just Matheny.

Cardinals fired manager Mike Matheny.

The team tweeted out the news shortly after another dud Cardinals loss Saturday. Hitting coaches John Mabry and Bill Mueller were also let go. Bench coach Mike Shildt will serve as interim manager in Matheny's wake.

Source: St. Louis Cardinals on Twitter                                       Jul 14 - 11:19 PM

On 7/12/2018 at 1:49 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

It sounds like this is more on Mike Matheny than Norris who is being egged on by Matheny who hates that baseball has gotten so "soft" and wants to encourage a hazing culture towards rookies.  That manager is nuts. 

I don't think any other team is still back in the stone age with this type of crap either.  I've heard, seen and read constant comments on other teams that the reverse is now true and rookies are welcomed and respected and nurtured.  No wonder St Louis is going down the toilet these days.

I don't disagree with the firing,  but i guess i don't see what you see reading this.  I actually kinda agree,  they are soft now.  Show up on time kid,  is that so hard/ too much to ask for?  I guess I'd like to know exactly how Norris said what,  but it's not like he stuffed him in a locker and gave him wedgies. Vet calls out a talented kid who is disrespecting his own work ethic,  news at 11. Who cares?  Get over it youngin. 

Now,  if you want to say he deserved to get canned for baseball strategy reasons,  you'll hear no argument from me.  But this seems like a non story to me

8 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Don't know who he is but they did get rid of the hitting coaches too.  Not just Matheny.

the GM, well, president of the team, but he's the one still making all the moves

Not that it often matters a ton but what has Bud Norris done in this game to haze anyway?  Who the hell is Bud Norris to be pushing anyone?  Push them to what?  His mediocre career path?  Congrats dude you blew as a starter and had a decent first half as a reliever after being terrible in same role last year.  Not sure I would ever want a Bud Norris being a vocal “leader” on my team.  Maybe they speaks volumes to the Cards first half record.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Not that it often matters a ton but what has Bud Norris done in this game to haze anyway?  Who the hell is Bud Norris to be pushing anyone?  Push them to what?  His mediocre career path?  Congrats dude you blew as a starter and had a decent first half as a reliever after being terrible in same role last year.  Not sure I would ever want a Bud Norris being a vocal “leader” on my team.  Maybe they speaks volumes to the Cards first half record.  

Dude. Norris is finally good. He's been doing laundry of, and picking up dry-cleaning for, the better players on the team -- sometimes younger than him -- for like the last 10 years!

Now that he's actually good, let him enjoy hazing the rooks!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, WahooManiac said:

I don't disagree with the firing,  but i guess i don't see what you see reading this.  I actually kinda agree,  they are soft now.  Show up on time kid,  is that so hard/ too much to ask for?

But Hicks was getting to meetings on time and wasn't dogging it.  That's the point.  Yeah be hard on someone like Yasil Puig but not on rookies that are doing their best.  Mentor them, not haze them.  Be a stand-up organization and not a frat house.

• Like 3