Gryfter

Trea Turner 2018 Outlook

Still not concerned.  My issue honestly at this point is the lineup shuffling.  Just pick one and stick with it.  Killing any type of approach or rhythm already.  He usually gets his sb in bunches.  A few times last year he stole 5-6 a week.  Until the last couple of games the Nats as a whole have looked bad.  Remember, it’s only been 10

games...

29 minutes ago, The Dude81 said:

I know it's early but despite the stolen bases which are nice, he's been a disappointment. I feel like an idiot for taking him 4th overall in my draft with Harper and Arenado available. I was hoping for that .300 110 r 19 hr 70 rbi 70 sb kinda year. Pretty obvious he's not doing that. 

Obvious?  How?  It's only the second week of April.  Chill some.  This is not football.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It wasnt until that game in Colorado last year where he hit a cycle and then sum did he really get going. Coors is coming soon, be patient, its a long year, and hes still on pace to get over 50 SB.

Edited by Febonacci
  • Like 1

I'm always baffled that people think stats accumulated in sub-50 degree weather will be representative of the entire year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Obvious?  How?  It's only the second week of April.  Chill some.  This is not football.

This. We are 10-11 games in. Patience is key for fantasy baseball. I was at the Sox game last night and a few guys behind me were talking about how Sanchez isn't worthy of a MLB Roster spot. They were going on about how Vazquez was a much better option. 

1 hour ago, Hanghow said:

I'm always baffled that people think stats accumulated in sub-50 degree weather will be representative of the entire year.

You could technically make that argument for every player.. meaning relative to othet players, he will be who he is now..

12 minutes ago, fingy said:

You could technically make that argument for every player.. meaning relative to othet players, he will be who he is now..

It would be true for every player... ten games in unusually cold weather isn't a large or representative sample.

On 4/6/2018 at 8:18 AM, chud12 said:

He’s reakly not. I don’t want to get into a discussion about Eaton in the Turner thread but this perception is so not true. Besides the terrible injury last season Eaton has been pretty durable and a gamer his entire career where he usually akways plays banged up. I’ll leave it at that and end it. 

And just like that Eaton's on the DL...

Unfortunate when someone gets hurt obviously but hopefully Trea will start batting 1/2 and make the most of it.

Edited by All_Day

24 minutes ago, All_Day said:

And just like that Eaton's on the DL...

Unfortunate when someone gets hurt obviously but hopefully Trea will start batting 1/2 and make the most of it.

Trea batted second yesterday BEFORE Eaton's injury.

And man when a player has a slump to start the season the Chicken Littles go crazy don't they.  People are freaking ot over Goldy and, like klove42 mentioned, Gary Sanchez too.  If Trea had a slump in June no one would even mention it.

The Nationals have played 11 games. That is the equivalent of 1 football game, or 5 basketball games. And there's actually a positive here - he's walked 9 times. He'll hit .280+ and if he's walking more as well, it'll only increase his runs/steals. I do hope he can solidify himself as the #1 or #2 hitter while Eaton is out, but Trea will be just fine either way. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I got to be honest though, taking him over Harper and Arenado probably was a mistake.   Especially Harper, IMO.

18 minutes ago, Zig Zag said:

I got to be honest though, taking him over Harper and Arenado probably was a mistake.   Especially Harper, IMO.

Eh, Harper is either a MVP of living on the DL.  Hot or cold.  He is too much of a yo-yo player for a top 4 pick for me.  Arendo is great but 3B has a lot of power hitters.  Trea brings something unique as in steals are way down and he will have 50+ as well as around 20 homers and over a hundred Runs.  You can't really "near replicate" that later in the draft like you can the other two.

• Like 1

Still batting 2nd.  Goodwin slotted into the leadoff spot.

He's walking a lot more this year. He actually walked at a decent rate in the minors, but it has taken a while for that to show at the major league level. That should eventually translate to leaving Turner in the leadoff spot where he belongs and the stolen bases in bunches will follow. 

52 minutes ago, Piotr said:

He's walking a lot more this year. He actually walked at a decent rate in the minors, but it has taken a while for that to show at the major league level. That should eventually translate to leaving Turner in the leadoff spot where he belongs and the stolen bases in bunches will follow. 

Really nice at-bats tonight, too. Some really good takes, fought off a lot of pitches, hit two balls really well. The walks have kept his OBP at a reasonable level so far even as the average has stunk; if an owner is panicking, go grab him now.

Turner is for sure a 1st round bust. Maybe a late 2nd round or early 3rd rounder. He's like a Dee Gordon with a bit more pop. I can't really even try to move him because I built my team around him and his speed. 

• Confused 2

40 minutes ago, The Dude81 said:

Turner is for sure a 1st round bust. Maybe a late 2nd round or early 3rd rounder. He's like a Dee Gordon with a bit more pop. I can't really even try to move him because I built my team around him and his speed. 

Too early to claim this. And saying he has "a bit" more pop than Dee is an understatement lol

Turner could hit 25 in a full year, Dee would be lucky to hit 3 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, mthdmn said:

The next Darwin Barney?

I think Rey Ordonez is a better comparison. In all seriousness, He has 13ks to 11BB which I love, he is leading the league in steals, and he JUST started hitting at the top of the order. The counting stats will be there. He only has about 60 at bats.

EDIT: Not directing that at you I know you were joking just speaking in general after people already called him a bust after only 60 at bats.

Edited by klove42
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, The Dude81 said:

Couldn’t disagree more. First, you have no ideas after 60ab if he’s a bust or not, unless you are saying he can’t replicate what he’s already done in his first 2 years in the league. Second, saying he’s a slightly better version of Dee Gordon, is not an insult. Dee Gordon, especially in a 5x5 league, is a massive weapon. Getting a “slightly” better version of a .300 hitter who adds 60 steals and 100 runs every year, is a one of a kind asset. Trea is on a better team which should lead to more runs, and has 20hr upside. Hence he’s a first round pick, unless you are certain somehow that he can’t get to .300-15hr-100runs-60sb, which I don’t think anybody can say and actually back up with any meaningful data at this point. 

• Like 1

I'm just a frustrated owner...but in all seriousness I'm thinking he's more of a .270 hitter with 15 hr power and steal 55 with 95 runs knocking in 60. So yeah he's valuable for sure I was just saying no way a first rounder next year. 

49 minutes ago, The Dude81 said:

I'm just a frustrated owner...but in all seriousness I'm thinking he's more of a .270 hitter with 15 hr power and steal 55 with 95 runs knocking in 60. So yeah he's valuable for sure I was just saying no way a first rounder next year. 

You are also undervaluing his steals- he stole 46 last year in 98 games. If he plays 150+ games I’d day over 60 is a lock