IsraeliPSYCHO

Jahlil Okafor 2017-2018 Season Outlook

What's the outlook on Jah? son came on strong his rookie season and showed some promise in the post .. then struggled once it was obvious he couldn't play with Embiid. Is he unrosterable until an Embiid injury and/or trade? I can see either one happening which would really open the doors. 

Thoughts? 

He can't defend so he won't see much minutes. Embiid will be injured soon very likely and even if not will have dozens of maintenance days so Okafor will get sporadic run.

Embiid will be restricted in terms of minutes and will need rest days. Holmes is already banged up. Okafor should get some decent opportunities early. Hopefully enough to get him traded to a better long term destination. He has talent but he's a poor fit in Philly. He's a low cost add so don't be afraid to roll the dice at the end of your bench.

He should be considered day-to-day moving forward, but has a little more than 48 hours to get right for Wednesday's season opener. With Joel Embiid looking at heavy restrictions out of the gate and Richaun Holmes (wrist) still sidelined, Okafor will have a big opportunity to showcase himself as the backup center.

Showcased himself as one of the softest dudes in the league.  Misses the opener with a tummy ache.  

With the role of Jahlil Okafor further diminishing, his representatives and the Philadelphia 76ers are collaborating to find a suitable trade, league sources tell ESPN.

Sixers coach Brett Brown informed the local media on Friday that the 21-year-old center is currently out of the rotation and that the second-unit spot is Amir Johnson's to lose. The frontcourt logjam of Joel Embiid, Ben Simmons and Dario Saric leaves Okafor expendable.

Okafor has a fourth-year option of $6.3 million that the Sixers have to make a decision on by Oct. 31. According to league sources, whether they pick it up or not depends on the trade discussions, but it's likely that it's exercised.

At the moment, there are no frontrunners, sources say.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21186074/philadelphia-76ers-continue-efforts-find-suitable-trade-jahlil-okafor

• Like 1

I'm still trying to figure out who would be the best suitors. Literally no team is in dire need of a center. 

Off the top of my head maybe the Suns or Bulls? It's pretty cloudy. His value is at a all-time low. No one wants to entertain offers of a 4th-string center. It would be the best interest of everyone of the Sixers exercised his option and he'll be a FA.

Maybe someone like the Spurs should give him a chance. If it's anyone who can fix this project, it'll be them. Pau Gasol has been looking horrific lately anyways. They can use another quality post scorer off the bench. 

3 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

I'm still trying to figure out who would be the best suitors. Literally no team is in dire need of a center. 

Off the top of my head maybe the Suns or Bulls? It's pretty cloudy. His value is at a all-time low. No one wants to entertain offers of a 4th-string center. It would be the best interest of everyone of the Sixers exercised his option and he'll be a FA.

Maybe someone like the Spurs should give him a chance. If it's anyone who can fix this project, it'll be them. Pau Gasol has been looking horrific lately anyways. They can use another quality post scorer off the bench. 

Kings don't seem like they bankin on WCS, he could be a fit there 

Nets could definitely use a center who can score down low 

Bucks is currently starting Thon Maker who is still a major project 

Phoenix doesn't eve trust Alex Len enough to start him 

Atlanta could use a scoring big right about now 

thats 5 teams that can definitely use him and should target him with some throwaways + second round picks 

45 minutes ago, IsraeliPSYCHO said:

Kings don't seem like they bankin on WCS, he could be a fit there 

Nets could definitely use a center who can score down low 

Bucks is currently starting Thon Maker who is still a major project 

Phoenix doesn't eve trust Alex Len enough to start him 

Atlanta could use a scoring big right about now 

thats 5 teams that can definitely use him and should target him with some throwaways + second round picks 

The only team that might want him and for whom Jah is a good fit is the Bulls. They are garbage, Jah is from Chicago, and they haven't fully embraced the modern offense with either a stretch or vertical threat big man.

Kings are pretty high on WCS, Nets don't want a big man that can score down low (they are full pace and space), bucks have a proven 20ppg low post big man ON THE BENCH, Phoenix is starting Tyson so they can trade him, and Coach Bud in Atlanta runs motion not post offense.

1 hour ago, XOrad10 said:

Is this guy worth a speculative add in a 14 team league?

2 hours ago, mjp90 said:

Is this guy worth a speculative add in a 14 team league?

I'd add him in a heartbeat if he were starting anywhere.  To soon to tell, currently.  

To all my fellow peoples who are anxiously checking this thread every time it bumps for some news of Okafor being traded to a competition free team in need of low post offense, and then get pissed off when they see that it was bumped with no new information

giphy.webp

23 hours ago, jiiiggz said:

Just trade him to the Celtics already so I can run to the wire and get him.

How many mins do you think hed play for the celtics?

Even when he played a lot he wasnt great for fantasy. I figure his upside and skills arent that great, and the league figured that out as well, which is why theres been a lack of offers before. Now nobody really gains nything from trading for him and theyre waiting for a buyout. I think his role with most teams will be rather limited, even if he gets a chance to start.

• Thanks 1

The problem with bigs like Jah (Monroe, Kanter) is that you need to build a team around him to cater to his offensive capabilities and to cover his defensive deficiencies. You need a bunch of 3 & D guys or a stretch big that is a capable rim protector to pair with him if you're planning on winning. I know he turned vegan and he looked a bit quicker in preseason but I'm not sure if he worked on his passing or at least his range. The good thing though is that he's an FA next season so anyone who gets him is basically trying him out. I just can't think of a tanking team that would (Hawks, Bulls, Mavs, Kings, Suns).

17.5 pts, 7 rebounds, 1.2 blocks his rookie year.  Add in physical and mental progression, no reason he can't be near 20-10 and 1.5 blocks.  For points leagues he would be money if he could get to a team like the Nets.

2 hours ago, PuzzBeterson said:

Even when he played a lot he wasnt great for fantasy. I figure his upside and skills arent that great, and the league figured that out as well, which is why theres been a lack of offers before. Now nobody really gains nything from trading for him and theyre waiting for a buyout. I think his role with most teams will be rather limited, even if he gets a chance to start.

But he could score, and shoot at a high clip from the field. Considering my league's latest pickup at C was that C from Dallas, Okafor has massive upside. He just needs a trade. I put him on my watch list. 

Yeah, I think the reason so many fantasy owners care about Jah (and not IRL) is b/c a lot of our builds have lower-scoring, low FG%, 3 and stls guys and want a pts/FG%/reb anchor to balance/offset their deficiences.  Not many bigs will come out of the blue in the middle of the season (like Whiteside 2 yrs ago) with the potential to have the kind of volume that will affect FG% significantly (although I get what ppl are saying about him having a limited role wherever).  People can use a Kanter-type now and want to insert that guy to round out their roster

2 hours ago, PuzzBeterson said:

I'm not saying you're wrong. But from my own perspective he has very good, if not more advanced offensive skills in the paint than 90% of the big man out there. He has obvious flaws in rolling his feet and playing D man-to-man, but he's a great rebounder whose capable of blocking shots. I think at just age (22?) he has massive upside, especially in fantasy. If Kanter can float around mid-round value all year, so can Jahill.

The thing with Kanter is he is playing with basically the perfect stretch big in Porzingis who could also switch, play help defense, and rim protect. Where else could you find a unicorn like that? Turner in Indiana?