Toronto416

Marcus Smart 2017-2018 Season Outlook

He had 23 on 8/13 tonight, and he just got dropped in my league today. Thank goodness, he's a stud minus the atrocious FG%. Hopefully nobody before me puts in a claim for him. 10/5/5/2 /1 is hard to find on the wire these days! (I might be a bit generous on the steals and blocks, but the potential is there). 

6 hours ago, trusthaprocess said:

he's a stud minus the atrocious FG%.

Which means he's NOT a stud in roto. 

Terrible career rates - 35.3%.  Maybe in a few years that becomes something more acceptable, but I don't expect that this year.  Guy just doesn't know how to put the ball in the basket.  In H2H yeah maybe he's a stud, if you're punting FG%.

8 minutes ago, swyck said:

In H2H yeah maybe he's a stud, if you're punting FG%.

There's players you just don't own unless you're punting FG%, so saying "they're a stud IF..." is almost unnecessary.  Likewise, you don't need to say Dwight is having a good year if you're punting FT%.  We already know that caveat.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tom Chambers said:

There's players you just don't own unless you're punting FG%, so saying "they're a stud IF..." is almost unnecessary.  Likewise, you don't need to say Dwight is having a good year if you're punting FT%.  We already know that caveat.

If you want to say Dwight is having a good year that's fine, don't need no qualifiers,  but IMO you don't call someone a stud if he needs a punt to be rosterable. 

You're right that people should know that you need to punt with Dwight or Smart, but not everyone will know that and they may be coming here for guidance.  Not qualifying the statement just makes it inaccurate.  We shouldn't need to decipher what you meant, when it's pretty simple to just say so.  No Smart is NOT a stud  ... unless you punt FG%.  

3 hours ago, swyck said:

Which means he's NOT a stud in roto. 

Terrible career rates - 35.3%.  Maybe in a few years that becomes something more acceptable, but I don't expect that this year.  Guy just doesn't know how to put the ball in the basket.  In H2H yeah maybe he's a stud, if you're punting FG%.

I'm willing to tolerate the low FG%, he's solid in every other category. He's been blocking close to a shot a game lately, he's getting 1-2 steals a game, and most of all, he gets assists. Would you rather have Smart or Jarrett Jack? Both get 5-6 assists a game. If you were "Smart" you would choose the former. 

While I appreciate his "range," I don't consider his career 3 PT% to be sufficient enough to justify the volume of 3 PTA he takes.  I have always wished he would be more aggressive at attacking the rim.  Of course, his FG% around the rim is sub .400%.  It is what it is.

The key is that his minutes are consistent on a very talented Boston roster, whether he starts or not.  He is the engine on that team, both offensively and defensively.

The following article indicates how even though he is a poor shooter how much more effective the Celtics offense is when he is on the floor.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/marcus-smart-shooting-percentage-stats-boston-celtics-vs-golden-state-warriors/

17 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

While I appreciate his "range," I don't consider his career 3 PT% to be sufficient enough to justify the volume of 3 PTA he takes.  I have always wished he would be more aggressive at attacking the rim.  Of course, his FG% around the rim is sub .400%.  It is what it is.

The key is that his minutes are consistent on a very talented Boston roster, whether he starts or not.  He is the engine on that team, both offensively and defensively.

The following article indicates how even though he is a poor shooter how much more effective the Celtics offense is when he is on the floor.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/marcus-smart-shooting-percentage-stats-boston-celtics-vs-golden-state-warriors/

Are you talking about irl or fantasy? Because if I have him in a punt fg% build (which is the only build he should be in tbh) I want him to jack up as many threes as humanly possible. Going 3 for 15 3PM every night would be fantastic. 

Edited by Purple Hippo
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Purple Hippo said:

Are you talking about irl or fantasy? Because if I have him in a punt fg% build (which is the only build he should be in tbh) I want him to jack up as many threes as humanly possible. Going 3 for 15 3PM every night would be fantastic. 

He's positively regressing towards his mean, let's hope he keeps ballin out. I'm thinking about putting in a waiver claim for him. 

5 hours ago, Purple Hippo said:

I guess both.  I can certainly understand your position given your team build.  However, if he were a more efficient and consistent scorer, he would be a strong fantasy option in more leagues.  Similarly, in real life, he would become a much more dangerous player if he were an efficient scorer.  

re-picked him up after his last 2 games. If he can just shoot 40% he will be good. I am not punting FG% for my team though which sucks but I had to drop Alex Len, I cant deal with that DNP, duds, big game, back to DNP, dud cycle crap anymore.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

re-picked him up after his last 2 games. If he can just shoot 40% he will be good. I am not punting FG% for my team though which sucks but I had to drop Alex Len, I cant deal with that DNP, duds, big game, back to DNP, dud cycle crap anymore.

I would try to get Len back, Chandler got a DNP for the first time all year, that's not normal. Len is going to start getting more minutes, watch. 

On 11/28/2017 at 5:40 AM, Tom Chambers said:

I think he brings enough to the table where he's worth owning. You can't find 10/5/5/1/1 on the wire easily. But yeah, the FG% is bad. 

Just hurt his ankle and was hobbling but he didn't go to the locker room, just to the bench 

Update: he ends up going to the locker room

Edited by jdub576

He had another decent game last night, is he worth a spot for ROS, or is he streamer material? I have John Wall out, so I scooped him up. The peripherals are solid, but I'm not sure he can keep the hot shooting streak going. 

Im contemplating hard in picking him up. With Jaylen Brown out tonight, let's see if he can produce enough numbers.

1 hour ago, durantula1234 said:

Wow. 34 minutes and gave nothing. 

He'll bounce back. I'm going to stream him the next couple of games and see what happens until Wall comes back. 

5 minutes ago, durantula1234 said:

Let's see how the second half goes. I'm likely going to drop him tonight, even though I'm punting FG. 

this man has been hot garbageeee for the last couple of weeks..if hes not consistently getting 5 rebounds and 5 assists with good Stls then there is really no reason to own him..at his absolute best hes barely an average contributor in 3s, ft, and pts.. throw in brad stevens night to night rotation changes based on matchups, plus the fact hes the last resort option and can disappear at any given time on this team. not to mention him and Rozier are the same player and Stevens can basically pick and choose depending on whos hot that day

• Like 1

He really has been bad. I have him in one and just have to hold since it's a 16 team league. He can be good...but this is brutal lately particularly since the stocks have disappeared. I can deal with the trash fg% if I get those.

Decent game without Kyrie. Was expecting more. If those back-to-back-to-back 3s in the first quarter didnt go down then this line looks disgusting. Looked decent running the show outside of the blatant random unforced mistakes he constantly makes.. He can look really good and then a play later he looks super clumsy out there, loosing control of the ball, taking contested shots, getting blocked, turning it over. swapping for J.Rich. Trigger should have been pulled.