b0nfire

Andrew Benintendi 2018 Outlook

2 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

wRC+ vs RHP:  119

wRC+ vs LHP:     3

Yes, THREE.

Tiple slash:   .077/.226/.115

That is just beyond putrid. Definitely worth playing the matchup game until he shows better. 

1 hour ago, All rise for Albies said:

Then he goes 2/4 with a couple of RBIs

Thanks forum for persuading me to bench him tonight  NOT

Make that 3/5...

When he leaves YSIII, he’ll be back to expectations

3 minutes ago, All rise for Albies said:

Must be a mistake, my Fantasy page has him scoring a home run

Dang, I think my page has the same error.

24 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

This is just the beginning.  The time to buy low is over.

i think the same thing was said after he hit his last home run.....

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mevins31 said:

He's just an average player at this point. So much hype.

Eh, even with his early struggles he's maintained a solid OBP (.340 currently), and he's on pace for 99 Runs, 81 RBI, and 22 SB. 

One little hot stretch and he'll be back on pace for ~20 homers to go along with those counting stats. If he's the worst draft pick you made, you're probably doing very well. 

The best is yet to come. 

• Like 2

Facing a lefty tonight, must bench until he starts hitting them and that’s assuming he even plays tonight. 

6 hours ago, mjb03003 said:

Eh, even with his early struggles he's maintained a solid OBP (.340 currently), and he's on pace for 99 Runs, 81 RBI, and 22 SB. 

One little hot stretch and he'll be back on pace for ~20 homers to go along with those counting stats. If he's the worst draft pick you made, you're probably doing very well. 

The best is yet to come. 

I mostly agree with this - he is on pace for a nice blend of counting stats and OBP.  He definitely could get to 20 HR again, but his potential is definitely capped by the fact that he doesn't have the batted ball profile to support high HR totals.  He has a relatively low FB% (37%), relatively high GB% (41%), and a lot more of his contact is made at Med velocity as opposed to Hard.  That's not to say he 'sucks', but I don't think big HR numbers are going to be part of who he ever is.  A lot of people bought into him this year based on his extra muscle mass and expecting that he could take those on base skills and speed along with an increase in power and be a superstar.  But with his launch angle and batted ball profile I don't see it happening.

The other thing is of course the aforementioned platoon splits.  He doesn't seem to be making any progress against LHP, which is troubling for someone you're counting on as an OF1 or OF2.  

1 hour ago, chud12 said:

Facing a lefty tonight, must bench until he starts hitting them and that’s assuming he even plays tonight. 

Starting and so is Mitch Moreland against CC... the Sox need to get Moreland in there even against a lefty

JBJ stick a fork in him

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Starting and so is Mitch Moreland against CC... the Sox need to get Moreland in there even against a lefty

JBJ stick a fork in him

I saw but he’s still riding my bench. The lefty split is just horrifying so far. Guy has been a guaranteed 0-ffer.  Andrew kills the Yankees in Yankee Stadium so I hate sitting him but yea. 

Oh snd hea hitting .182 against CC in his career. 

Edited by chud12

It's not like CC will pitch the entire game. 

2 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

It's not like CC will pitch the entire game. 

So Benintendi gets 1 or 2 abs against Robertson and Chapman, yuke. 

Benintendi has arguably the best spot in the batting order in the entire major leagues being sandwiched in between Betts and Hanley and yet another blah performance. Will he just never live up to expectation? I think we all swung and missed on him as a draft pick this year.

This is my second year owning him and ive come to the conclusion that because of his team and status as a former top prospect this guy is overrated. He’s still young so there’s hope in dynasty but I think I’ll be staying away from him in redraft next year. 

Edited by the_wolfman

7 hours ago, the_wolfman said:

This is my second year owning him and ive come to the conclusion that because of his team and status as a former top prospect this guy is overrated. He’s still young so there’s hope in dynasty but I think I’ll be staying away from him in redraft next year. 

He was likely a little overrated coming into this year, but I think the reasoning that most people had was that he put up a 20-20 season with a .352 OBP last year, and he's still going to be hitting in a prime spot in a great lineup, added some guns for supposed extra power, and another year of development.  

I think worst case scenario was that you drafted a Yelich clone a few rounds earlier, and that's what we're seeing right now.  His draft spot wasn't completely without merit though, as I think there were a lot of signs that a 20-20 rookie would improve on those numbers and return really good value.  It's just not turning out that way as we're not seeing any progression in his batted ball profile that supports more power.

Next year I certainly won't draft him as early, but depending on how many people feel the same way you do, he could be a good post-hype sleeper.  If people sour on him and he drops a few rounds in value, then he could be a very high floor, high potential guy to take at that point.  Post-hype is always a great time to buy on a player in redraft.

His hard% is down 12.4%, which is huge. His pull% has increased by 10.5%. His brls/PA is currently at 2.0, which puts him at 300th in baseball, around guys like Gamel, A. Frazier, and J. Jay. 

• Like 2

For all his badness he is doing ok, just about

Last 15 days 

17/58 11 1 6 1 .293

Not great but at least the average and the runs are acceptable, and that not

include todays stolen base,

Yeah, everything but HRs and AVG/OPS is there...

I assume he gets hot at some point and give us the 20-22 HRs still