• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
DerekQ

Carlos Martinez 2018 Outlook

Do lat issues usually have a lingering effect for pitchers? Easily one of the top fantasy starting pitchers in April so I'm hoping he can get back to feeling 100%.

46 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

I know he won’t throw to many pitches but he’s throwing a rehab game  Sunday and then starting Tuesday?

2 start week against Miami and Cincy. It’s Tough to bench him but are you guys on the fence about starting him?

27 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

I know he won’t throw to many pitches but he’s throwing a rehab game  Sunday and then starting Tuesday?

2 start week against Miami and Cincy. It’s Tough to bench him but are you guys on the fence about starting him?

I think he might have meant Yadi’s second rehab game, but it’s poorly worded.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AndyReidMustGo...Now said:

I think he might have meant Yadi’s second rehab game, but it’s poorly worded.

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense.  

• Like 1

And for what it’s worth, in a normal scenario, I would keep him on my bench due to possible rust, possible pitch counts, etc. But, since it’s a possible two start week, and the opponents appear to be favorable, in a weekly league, I’m locking him in. Hope this isn’t too bench coach. Just my opinion.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AndyReidMustGo...Now said:

And for what it’s worth, in a normal scenario, I would keep him on my bench due to possible rust, possible pitch counts, etc. But, since it’s a possible two start week, and the opponents appear to be favorable, in a weekly league, I’m locking him in. Hope this isn’t too bench coach. Just my opinion.

If rehab starts didn't exist, I would agree with you. Martinez is typically effectively wild as it is, what's the difference?

1 hour ago, dkrocka said:

If rehab starts didn't exist, I would agree with you. Martinez is typically effectively wild as it is, what's the difference?

I suppose that’s true. But it’s just something I do. When a pitcher is first activated from the dl, I tend to watch the first start and see how they respond to the layoff. If all seems well, then I throw them in the lineup. Not taking that approach in this case, though. Maybe because it’s a weekly league. In a daily, I would bench him Tuesday and if he looks good, I’d throw him in for the second start. But I digress. Didn’t mean to derail the thread.

1 hour ago, Philoumenos said:

Luckily it was against the marlins or it could've went wayyyyyyy worse. Other than the balls and the walks nothing was that bad. Glad he's healthy again and hopefully he's throwing as hard as he can on Sunday. Definitely rolling him out there.

1 hour ago, MSU2661 said:

Luckily it was against the marlins or it could've went wayyyyyyy worse. Other than the balls and the walks nothing was that bad. Glad he's healthy again and hopefully he's throwing as hard as he can on Sunday. Definitely rolling him out there.

Some Cards' fans have been noting that he seems to be throwing the ball differently, and I agree. I'm just hoping it doesn't lead to an injury reaggravation.

• Like 1

Why was he even starting if he is not 100%?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MSU2661 said:

Here's a real LOL of a followup:

Apparently he didn't even tell the team he was going to do this, he just decided on his own.

There are some real communication and leadership issues in that clubhouse.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Philoumenos said:

He wasn't right today, but the ump really finished him off.

Yup, he should have at least got out of the forth inning with only two earned runs. He 100% should have gotten a strikeout call on Scooter Gennett but it was called a ball and then it lead to three more runs coming in. 

1 hour ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

Yup, he should have at least got out of the forth inning with only two earned runs. He 100% should have gotten a strikeout call on Scooter Gennett but it was called a ball and then it lead to three more runs coming in. 

Yeah, he definitely didn't do himself any favors with how wild he was at times, but the ump got some calls so clearly wrong it was shocking. Ump should be given a sabbatical, an eye-exam or forcibly retired. And Carlos probably could have used a little more rehab honestly.

Time to try and buy low?  Or could this lat injury recovery cause more psychological issues that lead to disappointing performance?  

Ever since coming off the DL Carlos has just not been right SMH.

He is so bad right now. I expected him to shake off some rust but it’s been 3 starts since he came off the DL and he is walking more batters  he is striking out. 

Honestly, tons of players have claimed that place is haunted.  Maybe it is. 💀👻

Really leaning toward benching him till he does turn it around. I just hope it's more of a confidence thing & him trying not to aggravate the lat and not a lingering issue they're trying to "manage" for ROS. 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, wayzupusc said:

Really leaning toward benching him till he does turn it around. I just hope it's more of a confidence thing & him trying not to aggravate the lat and not a lingering issue they're trying to "manage" for ROS. 

I finally gave in and benched him for Milwaukee and obviously did not regret. Next time out is Cleveland and I can’t see how anyone would start him there.  Then at Arizona (f that).  I think he is benched until July 7 in San Francisco and even that I want to see his control improve or he’ll end up giving up three runs and destroying your whip there.

Edited by merlin401