DerekQ

Carlos Martinez 2018 Outlook

Brutal upcoming schedule so a sit for me for now. 

How has his velocity looked? He always walked a few guys and had a few clunkers per season but his latest few starts are worrisome 

ya hes burned me enough since coming back...gonna sit until he looks right

I'm going to the game tonight so im hoping be doesn't get absoulutely annihilated. He probably will though. 

6 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

After a brutal stretch a surprising solid effort vs the tribe 

good buy low guy or still don’t think he is fully healthy?

Saw that...figures when I bench him he puts up a good effort. I'm in a weekly so I'm rolling him back out next week with fingers crossed that he's feeling good & confident again. Looks like he's set to be on road for 2-start week facing off against Robbie Ray at ARZ & MadBum at SF.

His road splits are significantly worse than home but 2 of those 'brutal stretch' were on the road so numbers could be skewed.

3 hours ago, roscobangs said:

:D

He has a 3.08 era. Whip is high but it will come down. Can’t predict injuries. Which clearly had an effect on him. Still a very good pitcher.

8 hours ago, Helms said:

He has a 3.08 era. Whip is high but it will come down. Can’t predict injuries. Which clearly had an effect on him. Still a very good pitcher.

You must not play in a K/BB league. 

CMart is not this bad. I'm not saying he is in the ace tier but before his injury he was lights out. Hopefully he can get back on track during the second half. 

Last nights outing wasn't great but it wasn't garbage. I think he is capable of better though. 

3 hours ago, roscobangs said:

You must not play in a K/BB league. 

I do not. Still even with his string of bad starts after he came off the dl he still almost has an era under 3. I think he gets back to form after the break. He had 3 good starts in a row before giving up 3 runs in 5 ip last night.

Edited by Helms

2 minutes ago, Helms said:

I do not. Still even with his string of bad starts after he came off the dl he still almost has an era under 3. I think he gets back to form after the break. He had 3 good starts in a row before giving up 3 runs in 5 ip last night.

Fair enough then. He's definitely useful in h2h and non-K/BB leagues. 

It's worth noting that out of all starters with 90+ IP, he has the 3rd worst K/BB ratio, sitting at 1.85. It goes without saying, but that is backbreaking in roto leagues. 

This is starting to feel like a lost season for Martinez.  

In his nine starts since coming off the DL: 

45.2 IP

5.32 ERA

1.73 WHIP

26 BB (5.12 / 9)

42 K (8.3 / 9)

Although things didn't fall apart for him against the Cubs on Thursday until the fifth inning where he allowed all five of his ER, he was getting rocked in the first four innings as well, but everything was hit right at defenders.  He threw 90 pitches in that game and generated two swinging strikes.

I am torn...he is slated for a 2-start week but he obviously hasn't been the same since that first injury (Lat) and now, coming off a short oblique DL stint....I am seriously thinking about benching him for the week to see if he's even close to 100%.

He's done more harm than good for me the few times he's been available the past couple-three months or so.

1 hour ago, wayzupusc said:

I am torn...he is slated for a 2-start week but he obviously hasn't been the same since that first injury (Lat) and now, coming off a short oblique DL stint....I am seriously thinking about benching him for the week to see if he's even close to 100%.

He's done more harm than good for me the few times he's been available the past couple-three months or so.

Probably going to bench him tonight and start him this weekend.  We saw how he was off the DL last time.

6 minutes ago, abachar said:

Probably going to bench him tonight and start him this weekend.  We saw how he was off the DL last time.

I wish I could do that wait-and-see thing but we have weekly lineups...if I start him tonight, I'm stuck with starting him this weekend.....so I'm benching him until he starts showing he's closer to his early-season form than what he's been doing since he had that lat injury.

1 hour ago, wayzupusc said:

I wish I could do that wait-and-see thing but we have weekly lineups...if I start him tonight, I'm stuck with starting him this weekend.....so I'm benching him until he starts showing he's closer to his early-season form than what he's been doing since he had that lat injury.

Story is out tonight, so very top heavy lineup if that changes anything.

2 hours ago, wayzupusc said:

I’m in the same boat man. 

I would really like to start him but don’t want to be stuck having him in there for a second start if he pitches bad tonight. 

I could really use a 2 start pitcher this week but I think I’m going to bench him and see how he does. He has been pretty bad since he came off the DL so he’s a risky play.