Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saltgurkan15

Vent & Rant Thread 2017-2018

This is a great forum. However, sometimes I see people arguing in circles because one guy is talking based on one set of parameters while the other guy is talking about something completely different. The classic examples are of course H2H vs Roto, deep league vs shallow , snake vs auction (and amount of auction dollars at that) etc.

Perfect example can be seen right now over in the Aaron Gordon thread where Sicario posted the he/she grabbed Gordon 39th overall, to the negative reaction of pretty much everyone including myself. However, when Sicario later on posted the details of the League things looked a lot more reasonable. 

Now I understand that equal responsibility must be placed on other posters(the readers). Of course people play with different settings and that should always be kept in mind. All I’m saying is the forum could have a more ”effective” discussion climate if something like League settings were obligatory in the signature. I’ll gladly pass on scrolling through 7-8 posts of ”wtf too early”. 

What do you guys think?

P.S  English isn’t My first language so apologies if anything was unclear 

P.P.S I play 9cat H2H 12 team :)

11 minutes ago, Saltgurkan15 said:

This is a great forum. However, sometimes I see people arguing in circles because one guy is talking based on one set of parameters while the other guy is talking about something completely different. The classic examples are of course H2H vs Roto, deep league vs shallow , snake vs auction (and amount of auction dollars at that) etc.

Perfect example can be seen right now over in the Aaron Gordon thread where Sicario posted the he/she grabbed Gordon 39th overall, to the negative reaction of pretty much everyone including myself. However, when Sicario later on posted the details of the League things looked a lot more reasonable. 

Now I understand that equal responsibility must be placed on other posters(the readers). Of course people play with different settings and that should always be kept in mind. All I’m saying is the forum could have a more ”effective” discussion climate if something like League settings were obligatory in the signature. I’ll gladly pass on scrolling through 7-8 posts of ”wtf too early”. 

What do you guys think?

P.S  English isn’t My first language so apologies if anything was unclear 

P.P.S I play 9cat H2H 12 team :)

It's a good point.  I think that the unspoken rule here is that everything is said with respect to a 12-team 9-cat league unless stated otherwise. Usually for auctions the reference amount is $200.  (I could be off though?) I agree that whether the discussion applies to H2H or roto should be stated or clearly implied.

Second, this is why ranking players is silly to me. The discussion should focus on project stats/situations (provided it is not a points league) rather than rankings.  Because the ranking of a player is highly dependent on things like team needs, remaining player pool, team strategy, personal projections, etc etc. Plus the uncertainties are so large that arguing about a rank 40 vs 60 player before the season starts is pretty unrealistic. 

1 hour ago, jay14bay said:

It's a good point.  I think that the unspoken rule here is that everything is said with respect to a 12-team 9-cat league unless stated otherwise. Usually for auctions the reference amount is $200.  (I could be off though?) I agree that whether the discussion applies to H2H or roto should be stated or clearly implied.

Second, this is why ranking players is silly to me. The discussion should focus on project stats/situations (provided it is not a points league) rather than rankings.  Because the ranking of a player is highly dependent on things like team needs, remaining player pool, team strategy, personal projections, etc etc. Plus the uncertainties are so large that arguing about a rank 40 vs 60 player before the season starts is pretty unrealistic. 

Exactly. And a lot of people do actually talk about stats in the player threads, but not always. 

I’ve heard about the unspoken ”12team standard 9cat” rule before (long time lurker ignore My post count lol) but man I swear a LOT of people post like 12 team 8cat is the standard. And frankly I don’t blame them, 8cat is just as popular. That’s why I like my signature idea altough I realize implementing something like that is not realistic.

I think Josh Lloyd does a great job of speaking clearly on his BBM articles and podcasts: His advice can be applied to both 8 and 9cat because he’s always ignoring/punting turnovers If he’s playing 9cat anyway. Easy to take in

8-cat is not standard. 9-cat is standard. If you're referencing 8-cat, say so. 

Standard means standard. It's not hard. The only thing that should ever need to be specified is H2H vs. Roto. 

41 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

8-cat is not standard. 9-cat is standard. If you're referencing 8-cat, say so. 

Standard means standard. It's not hard. The only thing that should ever need to be specified is H2H vs. Roto. 

Agree with everyone above.  Usually I just assume people are talking H2H.  I only play roto and I make sure to be explicit about it whenever I comment because valuation of players is much different.

An easy fix is if rotoworld could find a way to make signatures visible while using a mobile device. I know im not alone in this, but i do not see people's sigs unless i activate desktop mode or Im using my laptop. 

Edit: just checked what my sig looked like. Its stuck in 2012 lol. I still have kevmart, lawson, foye, pekovic and asik rosteted. Point is i dont make an effort to change and update it, because as a phone user, i have no easy access to it. Desktop mode is not optimal and requires more effort to navigate the forums.

future post to come back on after i see who i passed up on in my draft recaps and cry

Like a lot of yall I lost my league 6min into the season. Get well soon Hayward, sending good vibes your way my man. 

Buddy told me a guy in his league accepted a trade for Hayward 15 minutes before tipoff.  That's gotta be as awful as make believe basketball can get.

Bobby Portis is the scum of the earth, but got overtaken ever so slightly by Skip Bayless last night (even though Bayless has always been a clown).  The point of this brief rant is here's a double bird salute to the both of you!

Dropped Jaylen Brown (originally my streamer) minutes before the Celtics game for Markannen thinking he had a better opportunity and upside being a young player with a cleared up logjam at the PF position in a team lacking offense... and I was afraid of being sniped so I couldn't wait.

Then the injury happened.

At least he did well for the one game he played for me before he gets picked up from waivers..

Just gonna hope Lauri makes the most of his opportunity as a starter and goes HAM.

18 team league with 4 keepers 

"2nd round" my computer goes cold and guess who I end up auto picking as they were in my quere..Jahil Okafur.. :mellow:

Gortat looks like he'd be cut by the wiz in pre-season, so I drop him, what does he do in first game? drops 17, 16, 3 blocks in first regular season game....

Tim Hardaway Jr looks like an all-star in pre-season, so I grab him. First reg season game he plays worse than the 12th man from a d/g league player.

Derozan suddenly DGAF (when I draft him) He is making 27 or 28 million this year and played so s--- the entire pre-season and now first reg season game.

fantasy season already a write off after 1 game...

1 minute ago, gill2k said:

Why the hell is Deng starting?

Lol no idea. And Ingram looks terrible he’s forcing shots. Move the damn ball

WIllBilly, Randle, and Ingram all on one team. I never punched myself in the d quite like this.

It's so demoralizing when you want to add a hot FA but your player or open roster spot is locked in a trade.

Rick Carlisle needs to get socked in the mouth. Yeah man. Continue to trout out a 50 year old Dirk.

I'm already fed up with his b******t. You're a grown man. Take the d**k out of your a** and grow up, Carlisle. 

M.Gasol 6 TURNOVERS!??? (and there is still 15 minutes left in the game)

suns are unwatchable.  mistake drafting a suns player this season