Dugout Legend

2018 Fantasy Baseball Platform Central -- ESPN/Yahoo /CBS/Fantrax, etc..

Great thread here to share info and experiences on various platforms for all to see and maybe help each other make decisions on which fantasy baseball platform to use in 2018. Disclose various topics associated with sites. Experiences, positives and negatives. User-friendly? Good fantasy platform apps? Switching from one site to another? Functionality? Feedback on sites, etc etc.

Oh boy.  A new thread where I can take Yahoo to the wood shed.  And since Yahoo banned me from their little forum for mentioning there the promises they have reneged on still; I have to use this one instead. 

(I think what got me banned was when I mentioned that there were other platforms like ESPN and FanTrax too to some guy with a question about settings he couldn't get in his league on Yahoo, haha).

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

I've tried them all, CBS is the best hands down in my opinion. best features, best options, huge player database. 

Some people don't like it because it's not free, I say to them, you get what you pay for. Love the app as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

tried Yahoo for a few years ... YUCK!

tried ESPN for a couple of years ... meh

been on Fantrax the last few and am quite pleased

11 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Oh boy.  A new thread where I can take Yahoo to the wood shed.  And since Yahoo banned me from their little forum for mentioning there the promises they have reneged on still; I have to use this one instead. 

I totally understand the Yahoo hate, and I've had my own tangles with the forum admins over there, but the one thing I'll say in their favor is that they're the only free platform left out there (that I'm aware of) that provides API access for exporting data and managing your team.  This isn't important to most players, but I've written apps and scripts that allow me to do 95% of my team management without ever having to use Yahoo's web interface (which has improved significantly in the last couple of years) and I'd hate to lose that capability.

I haven't used ESPN for baseball in years, but I'm in an ESPN football league, and the mobile app (on Android at least) is just about unusable to me.  The way it clogs up your screen with fantasy games you're not playing, the way you have to submit lineup changes instead of just swapping players and having the lineup change immediately, the way moving between screens for lineups, matchups, etc. involves multiple clicks instead of a single click or swipe...  Just terrible app design.

I've never used CBS, but I plan on giving them a closer look next season.  The web UI and mobile app seem to be well-liked, and they do seem to offer an API, though I guess it's deprecated and might go away at any time.  The fees are also *really* steep compared to Fantrax.

I haven't used Fantrax in a few years, but do they still not have a mobile app?  I think I remember there being one but it wasn't very good, but now I can't seem to find one at all.  I agree Fantrax is the best in terms of customization, etc. and the pricing is reasonable, but no mobile app is a deal-killer.

20 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

I haven't used Fantrax in a few years, but do they still not have a mobile app?  

Last year I used Fantrax for the first time.  There was an ap, it was fine. Seemed like the best for deep dynasty.

CBS, the website sucks (significantly worse than espn/yahoo). Mobile is fine I guess. I work from home so I used desktop a lot for all fantasy. I don't know if this is just for the leagues I was in, but if you don't have a full lineup in, you have an invalid roster and don't get any points.  Or if someone gets activated from the DL you get warnings to make a move or have an illegal roster and get no points. This could be just an issue with the leagues I'm in (I'm not a commissioner in them), but that's beyond stupid.   You should never be able to set a lineup with more spaces than are allowed, and you should never not be scored because you have an empty spot.

Yeah, that's the one I remember using when I ran a football league on Fantrax, but (a) it hasn't been updated since 2015, and (b) it's not hosted on the Android Play Store, which makes it really sketchy from a security standpoint.

I also remember that app being kind of a disaster UI-wise.  The fact that they don't seem to have one in the Play Store is a real problem.

We have been using Onroto since 2011, really works well for what we do, just some of the highlights and actually we had a great site in the mid 00's called TQstats, and then TQ got bought out by someone in around 07-08 and it stunk, then turns out these guys at Onroto were the original guys from TQ:

* Category, we use a Modified Quality start plus wins, it was not an option, they added it for us. 

* Really deep player database, we do 3 rounds of minor leaguers every year, some guys go pretty deep with HS guys, foreign players, college etc, and usually all but 2 or 3 are in there. 

* Customer service is great, any database issue or anything, I just email them and they respond personally within a day

* 365 access to the league, especially in a keeper this is great as guys will check in all throughout the offseason

* good amount of notes on your players as well as free agents

* Affordable, I think its 99, which is less than $10 a team, which for year-round access is pretty solid

Edited by parrothead

25 minutes ago, parrothead said:

We have been using Onroto since 2011, really works well for what we do, just some of the highlights and actually we had a great site in the mid 00's called TQstats, and then TQ got bought out by someone in around 07-08 and it stunk, then turns out these guys at Onroto were the original guys from TQ:

* Category, we use a Modified Quality start plus wins, it was not an option, they added it for us. 

* Really deep player database, we do 3 rounds of minor leaguers every year, some guys go pretty deep with HS guys, foreign players, college etc, and usually all but 2 or 3 are in there. 

* Customer service is great, any database issue or anything, I just email them and they respond personally within a day

* 365 access to the league, especially in a keeper this is great as guys will check in all throughout the offseason

* good amount of notes on your players as well as free agents

* Affordable, I think its 99, which is less than $10 a team, which for year-round access is pretty solid

can you scrape data from it?

3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

can you scrape data from it?

Not sure...

11 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

I don't see a Fantrax app for Android.  Maybe it's just available on iOS?

I think they disabled their app ( not sure?) But they've created a more mobile user-friendly option which is awesome! I just go to Fantrax.com in safari and I can do anything I want with my team / the site, etc. Works great.

Also - just overall the experience is great! The user options are tremendous. The customization is another great option.

They are in the middle of their 2.0 release with more updates coming in all the time, they continue to enhance and continue to impress.

This isnt really a platform question, but it is a website thats part of baseball stats and one we use for rookies, so figure might go here.  Does anyone know when Baseball Reference updates their rookie status.  Most players still say Intact through 2017 season.   

On 10/17/2017 at 9:52 AM, Topgun said:

I've tried them all, CBS is the best hands down in my opinion. best features, best options, huge player database. 

Some people don't like it because it's not free, I say to them, you get what you pay for. Love the app as well.

Has the app improved? If I recall, had some issues drafting minors during the draft via the app. In addition, had issues placing players on DL during in-season lineup settings on a daily basis -- could not move a player to the DL from the app, I had to log into a computer to make the transaction happen. Those were 2 big issues I faced when participating in CBS leagues. Also, don't like that they don't have minor league commissioner controls such as what Fantrax has.

I liked CBS overall - we ended up moving to Fantrax as it supported our league better but may give CBS a go again at some point.

On 10/17/2017 at 2:35 PM, tonycpsu said:

Yeah, that's the one I remember using when I ran a football league on Fantrax, but (a) it hasn't been updated since 2015, and (b) it's not hosted on the Android Play Store, which makes it really sketchy from a security standpoint.

I also remember that app being kind of a disaster UI-wise.  The fact that they don't seem to have one in the Play Store is a real problem.

On 10/17/2017 at 11:15 PM, Dugout Legend said:

I think they disabled their app ( not sure?) But they've created a more mobile user-friendly option which is awesome! I just go to Fantrax.com in safari and I can do anything I want with my team / the site, etc. Works great.

Also - just overall the experience is great! The user options are tremendous. The customization is another great option.

They are in the middle of their 2.0 release with more updates coming in all the time, they continue to enhance and continue to impress.

@Dugout Legend is correct, the app still exists (i still have it on both iOS and android, and it works), but they are moving away from a standalone app and using an adaptive interface on the website. i think there's only been a couple of pages converted so far, the players page and the team page if i recall. i'm hoping the scoring/matchup page is next, and then i'll completely ditch the app.

Adaptive web pages are the wrong way to go, sadly.  No matter how hard you try, you're never going to get the same feel as a native iOS/Android app.  I can understand maybe they don't have the budget to maintain the apps or whatever, but that's definitely a negative for them compared to the others.

1 minute ago, tonycpsu said:

Adaptive web pages are the wrong way to go, sadly.  No matter how hard you try, you're never going to get the same feel as a native iOS/Android app.  I can understand maybe they don't have the budget to maintain the apps or whatever, but that's definitely a negative for them compared to the others.

agreed. i am happy they're doing something though.. the app was pretty underwhelming/restrictive.

I have only used 3: CBS, ESPN, & Yahoo

1. CBS easily #1.

2. ESPN ok, not great.

3. Yahoo - just bad. Inconvenient layout, jumbled up. The only thing I like is when setting lineup it auto saves instead of like ESPN/CBS you make your changes and then still have to click set lineup and then make sure it saves.

On 10/26/2017 at 3:44 PM, Members_Only_76 said:

1. CBS easily #1.

2. ESPN ok, not great.

3. Yahoo - just bad. Inconvenient layout, jumbled up. The only thing I like is when setting lineup it auto saves instead of like ESPN/CBS you make your changes and then still have to click set lineup and then make sure it saves.

You gotta give Fantrax a try...

• Thanks 1

On 10/26/2017 at 3:44 PM, Members_Only_76 said:

1. CBS easily #1.

2. ESPN ok, not great.

I'm the biggest Yahoo basher and even I have to admit the have an excellent layout.  Never saw CBS but following links to ESPN shows just a clunky, dingy looking layout to me compared to Yahoo's.  It's the main reason I never tried ESPN.  The layout looks like only a half step up from DOS.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

a word of warning to anyone thinking about using fantrax with the treasurer option:

if any of the managers in your league require replacing mid-season, you will be forced to fully refund them before you can replace them. i tried to pin fantrax down on a specific date we could remove inactive owners and not have to refund them, but they went against their [at the time] written rules and wouldn't give a specific date. 

think about that for a minute.. if someone in your league abandons their team and you try to replace them in august, it is mandatory for you to fully refund the original owner. this then forces the new owner to either pay the full league fee or you may have to modify the winner payouts for the season. 

i was not happy, in fact i was furious that i had to refund a turd who screwed his team over and then left us high and dry with no notice... we certainly will not be using their treasury option in the future and i recommend everyone use leaguesafe or some other option.

obviously replacing owners mid-season is much more important in dynasty/keeper leagues than redrafts.

• Like 1

I saw this discussion in the Shohei Otani thread on the MILB forum side, figured to bring it over to this side as more applicable to the different systems.

How will he be scored in fantasy if he indeed does both pitching and hitting? In every system I've played on, there has been no player with both designations. Last player I can remember that was in a similar position was Micah Owings, although he was irrelevant for fantasy purposes. Otani has potential to deliver usefuls stats on both sides of the ball. In Owings' situation, I believe he never had pitcher and hitter eligibility.

In my mind, the best scenario would be to give him pitcher and hitter eligibility, but you could only start him on one side at a time. As such, if you start him at OF, you only get his offensive stats, or at pitcher, you only get his pitching stats. I don't see any way you can count both pitching ans hitting for fantasy because then every NL starting pitcher that hits has inconsistency with scoring.

Other possible solutions on the MILB thread were to just have him one or the other, or have two Otani's available, one pitcher version and one hitter version. Personally, I see those as weaker solutions.

Has there been any discussion or solutions proposed by the fantasy platforms? This will be interesting to follow as how they figure this out will directly affect Otani's value this year.

ESPN is a pain to set daily lineups without carryover to subsequent days.  Also this offseason no one is getting emails for trade offers and rejections.  Thirdly qhen draft picks are involved in trades you have to note such in the comments section, and you can't see comments attached to trades onsite.  They only show up in email (if you even receive the email).

CBS is solid for long term leagues. We've been considering kicking the tires with Fantrax for a while now though.

• Like 1