Dugout Legend

2018 Fantasy Baseball Platform Central -- ESPN/Yahoo /CBS/Fantrax, etc..

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JeterPimpedUrGF said:

Please explain why u would need to delete the transaction from the report but have the transaction stay. I don't even understand the logic behind this question and it seriously screams "shady". 

I often do this as a commish in my cbs league.  Always done when a free agent/waiver pick up/trade for player arrives on a squad and lands in the wrong section of a roster.  For example, free agent purchase a starting ss but the system places him on the reserve.  I need to perform a transaction to activate but remove the processing.  In trades (in my league), if you acquire an active, he must be active even if you intend to reserve post acquistion. 

Edited by unknownrotoguru

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, unknownrotoguru said:

I often do this as a commish in my cbs league.  Always done when a free agent/waiver pick up/trade for player arrives on a squad and lands in the wrong section of a roster.  For example, free agent purchase a starting ss but the system places him on the reserve.  I need to perform a transaction to activate but remove the processing.  In trades (in my league), if you acquire an active, he must be active even if you intend to reserve post acquistion. 

i'm confused.. do you limit roster movements to a certain number?

edit: this may be some sort of normal league setup, i'm genuinely asking.. i've never been in a league that wouldn't let the team owner move players freely between reserve/active.

Edited by osb_tensor

7 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

i'm confused.. do you limit roster movements to a certain number?

edit: this may be some sort of normal league setup, i'm genuinely asking.. i've never been in a league that wouldn't let the team owner move players freely between reserve/active.

It's most likely because they charge for each transaction. So when they are totaling up a guys transactions for the year they don't want to be charged for moving the guy into starting lineup. They want him to go directly into the starting lineup. Makes for easier accounting at the end if you can remove the transaction right then and there.

5 hours ago, duke of queens said:

It's most likely because they charge for each transaction. So when they are totaling up a guys transactions for the year they don't want to be charged for moving the guy into starting lineup. They want him to go directly into the starting lineup. Makes for easier accounting at the end if you can remove the transaction right then and there.

Correct assumption.  We do charge for up's and down's, free agent pick ups, trades so if you traded for an active player, you don't want to be charged to activate just because the system placed him on the reserve after the trade.  

On 1/1/2018 at 5:38 PM, JeterPimpedUrGF said:

Please explain why u would need to delete the transaction from the report but have the transaction stay. I don't even understand the logic behind this question and it seriously screams "shady". 

There are lots of reasons, some mentioned above.  My leagues are all local among friends, there is nothing shady about it, it's usually about correcting mistakes made by owners but not incurring additional costs, or making moves to correct certain things which aren't technically "official" moves and would just be clutter on the official transaction report.

One example where I've used it with CBS is that they allow you to add unlisted players.  So for example, when an owner in my league acquired Riley Pint before he was in the CBS database, I added Riley Pint (UL) to his roster on the corresponding date.  Some time later, when CBS got around to adding Riley Pint to their player database, I would do an Add/Drop of Riley Pint for Riley Pint (UL).  I don't want the owner to be charged for this transaction, I don't want the transaction cluttering up the report, I don't want any Riley Pint transaction on that specific date because Riley Pint was actually owned from the original date I added Riley Pint (UL), and when I delete that transaction, I still want Riley Pint to be on that team's roster.

I can see where you would not want that sort of thing possible in a public league, but what you are thinking or implying has nothing to do with why I am asking.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TopChuckie said:

I can see where you would not want that sort of thing possible in a public league, but what you are thinking or implying has nothing to do with why I am asking.

Nice post tough I still don't see why a transition shouldn't be listed at least so other members of the league know the guy was claimed.

Also for the record public leagues don't have commissioners.  Only private leagues.

10 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Nice post tough I still don't see why a transition shouldn't be listed at least so other members of the league know the guy was claimed.

Also for the record public leagues don't have commissioners.  Only private leagues.

That is not what is being said here. The transaction of moving a bench player to the active roster is what he wants edited.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

By "public" I meant not composed of just friends.

Another example is that because we are a friendly league, we'll make the occasional exception for a lineup change after the deadline if there are some extenuating circumstances and if the players involved  haven't played yet, or maybe someone is out of town without internet access and older, so not adept at using a mobile app for their lineup, so they call me and ask me to make their moves for them, but I don't have time to do it before the CBS deadline rolled over to the following period.  On CBS, if you make moves after the deadline those moves will only be for the period you make them and will not be carried forward, and if there are several players involved, the easiest way to accomplish this is to make duplicate moves for the current period and the upcoming period, so the moves in question will be in effect going forward.  However, only the moves for the current period are the official moves, the other moves are simply to get the website to behave properly and could cause confusion and clutter, and possibly unwarranted costs, so I would want to delete them, but not have the effects of them undone.

I guess you're just gonna have to take my word for it, there are occasionally wholly ethical reasons for why I would occasionally like to delete a transaction without deleting it's effects.

ETA: This is possible on CBS.  So if any of you are in CBS leagues and are really hung up on the dangers of this capability, you need to rethink your involvement.

Edited by TopChuckie

Has anyone used (or even heard of) Custom Stat? I'm mostly curious, I'm in a league that uses it and it seems ancient but works decently. Just never heard it mentioned anywhere.

16 hours ago, TopChuckie said:

By "public" I meant not composed of just friends.

I guess you're just gonna have to take my word for it, there are occasionally wholly ethical reasons for why I would occasionally like to delete a transaction without deleting it's effects.

Oh I am not questioning your ethics.  Just why it was such a big dealt to remove transactions when having a log of them would seem a handy and friendly thing to have access to. 

And my guess is that close to 99% of all private leagues are composed of people that don't know each other in real life or only know maybe one or two others in a league because they may tell a friend about a league they found that they are liking when a new opening occurs.

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Oh I am not questioning your ethics.  Just why it was such a big dealt to remove transactions when having a log of them would seem a handy and friendly thing to have access to. 

And my guess is that close to 99% of all private leagues are composed of people that don't know each other in real life or only know maybe one or two others in a league because they may tell a friend about a league they found that they are liking when a new opening occurs.

I was thinking the total opposite. I thought private leagues consisted mostly of friends(college, growing up, work) and family members. At least for the beginning years of a league. It definitely dwindles down as responsibilities change and new people come into the league, but I'd assume most leagues that are intact for 10+ yrs. have 75% retention.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

I was thinking the total opposite. I thought private leagues consisted mostly of friends(college, growing up, work) and family members. At least for the beginning years of a league. It definitely dwindles down as responsibilities change and new people come into the league, but I'd assume most leagues that are intact for 10+ yrs. have 75% retention.

Have you seen the endless links on League Finder Forum right here on this fantasy baseball forum?  Or on any platform like Yahoo that advertises private leagues by the thousands?  Or on Reddit or other sites?  Maybe knowing people in leagues was more a thing back in the newspaper stats and country store era.  But now online most leagues are definitely made up on like-minded strangers.  And half the fun is getting to know these people at least baseball wise.

So nope, most leagues no one knows anyone in real life unless a couple of people decide to join the same league together.  What happens in dynasties leagues a lot is that when an opening occurs in one league the commish may ask other members to head hunt and post in other leagues so you start to play against some guys in several leagues that way but you still don't know them in person or where they live or anything like that.  But you do know they are highly competitive and play daily and know their stuff etc so they have developed a good reputation and it strengthens the league and makes it stronger as a result and retention grows stronger that way.  And I love it that way.

I've played in private leagues for over a half dozen years and only know one person outside of the league and that was the guy at an old job that got me interested in fantasy baseball to start with.  We haven't seen each other socially since we got other jobs like 5 years ago too.  Just play in a couple of leagues together nowadays and I don't talk trade or anything else any more with him than any other person in my leagues.

I think it would be downright weird to play with a bunch of people I know in real life.  First off we would all have different levels of playing experience and expertise which would make things horribly awkward.  And second, I hate to beat a real friend I see at anything.  Easier to keep the emotion out of it and the playing skills up at a higher level not to know my fellow owners personally.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

^

Perhaps I'm in the "exceptions" category but I was in 5 private leagues last year.  

3 of the leagues are "live, in person" leagues where I know everyone

1 league was an online draft where I know 80% of the other owners

1 league was an online draft where I didn't know any of the other owners (joined via League Finder Forum a few years ago)

49 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Have you seen the endless links on League Finder Forum right here on this fantasy baseball forum?  Or on any platform like Yahoo that advertises private leagues by the thousands?  Or on Reddit or other sites?  Maybe knowing people in leagues was more a thing back in the newspaper stats and country store era.  But now online most leagues are definitely made up on like-minded strangers.  And half the fun is getting to know these people at least baseball wise.

So nope, most leagues no one knows anyone in real life unless a couple of people decide to join the same league together.  What happens in dynasties leagues a lot is that when an opening occurs in one league the commish may ask other members to head hunt and post in other leagues so you start to play against some guys in several leagues that way but you still don't know them in person or where they live or anything like that.  But you do know they are highly competitive and play daily and know their stuff etc so they have developed a good reputation and it strengthens the league and makes it stronger as a result and retention grows stronger that way.  And I love it that way.

I've played in private leagues for over a half dozen years and only know one person outside of the league and that was the guy at an old job that got me interested in fantasy baseball to start with.  We haven't seen each other socially since we got other jobs like 5 years ago too.  Just play in a couple of leagues together nowadays and I don't talk trade or anything else any more with him than any other person in my leagues.

I think it would be downright weird to play with a bunch of people I know in real life.  First off we would all have different levels of playing experience and expertise which would make things horribly awkward.  And second, I hate to beat a real friend I see at anything.  Easier to keep the emotion out of it and the playing skills up at a higher level not to know my fellow owners personally.

I don't like doing more than 1 league, which is live auction. Switched from snake 5 years ago. I would not want to be in a league with a bunch of strangers as I think its even weirder having a live auction for 6 hours with people I don't know. I also want to trust that the teams will be back next year and that they will pay. I love beating my friends at everything, makes the trash talking even better. Most of us are also in football, basketball, golf and horse racing leagues together so its never ending trash talking. Just my preference I guess.

I've always thought that being involved in more leagues helps you do better in all of them, but only to a point.  Where that sweet spot is depends on how much time you have, the strength of the competition in your leagues, etc. but just like athletes get better at doing something through repetition, fantasy players get better through more experience in different league settings.  If you're in a shallow league and a deep league, your effort spent finding under-the-radar players can help you get them before they get the attention of your leaguemates in shallow leagues.  And if someone in your other leagues is doing something unorthodox but effective, you can try a similar approach out.  Good artists copy, great artist steal, after all.

There does come a point at which you can be handicapped by having to track so many team contexts, file so many waiver claims, etc. that too many leagues helps more than it hurts.  I set my personal cap at 3 last year and it worked for me, but I think I might try adding a league or two if the rest of life isn't too busy when the season rolls around.

• Like 3

^  I've been doing 4 for a few years now.  That seems to be my sweet spot.  I tried 5 once and it got to be a bit much.  Not impossible but it started to feel more like a chore than a joy every day at 5.  This year I want 4 but I need to upgrade out of my one shallow league which was my first private league but it just seems so weirdly out of sync with the other three now that I just need to find a deeper dynasty to replace it with.

The other three yeah one league is like the canary in the mine where deeper players go the quickest so it sounds alarms if I miss a player there to get on the ball and take some action in the other leagues before I miss out on him elsewhere.

And duke of queens, we are oranges and apples I guess.  Good luck and I hope you beat your friends this year.

Depends on league settings. Gets tough for me to do more than 2-3 daily transaction leagues, but if I'm in a weekly league I have no problem joining plenty of others. I'd personally cap it at 4 just so I'm not rooting for / against the same players but as far as managing the teams its feasible. Its all about fun so whatever the amount of time you want to spend playing fantasy should determine how many leagues you want to do.

4-5 real leagues gives me the ability to obsess and try and tweak each one to perfection without it being too hard or not fun

as for the private leagues i have always done a couple free private leagues and over the last 5-7 years i have played in them no one knows anyone outside the random pair of friends that join a league... have never joined a private league where half or more played/know each other

I'm in an AL-Only and an NL-Only league.  The AL-Only has been in existence since '98, the NL-Only since '06.  We auction draft in-person every year, with a few via conference call or now video call due to moving out of state, one of whom I have been in leagues with since we started our first league in '88 in college.  Until this season we had the same owners in both leagues, this year we have one owner in each who is only in a single league.  The leagues started as a group of friends and as owners have come and gone over the years we have replaced them either via friends of current owners, or even via listings on the internet, but we restrict it to new candidates who are local and can attend in person and over the years, those owners have become friends as well.

Also, there is nothing better than beating your friends.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

^  I've been doing 4 for a few years now.  That seems to be my sweet spot.  I tried 5 once and it got to be a bit much.  Not impossible but it started to feel more like a chore than a joy every day at 5.  This year I want 4 but I need to upgrade out of my one shallow league which was my first private league but it just seems so weirdly out of sync with the other three now that I just need to find a deeper dynasty to replace it with.

The other three yeah one league is like the canary in the mine where deeper players go the quickest so it sounds alarms if I miss a player there to get on the ball and take some action in the other leagues before I miss out on him elsewhere.

And duke of queens, we are oranges and apples I guess.  Good luck and I hope you beat your friends this year.

Yeah no doubt. I am the commish so lots more work especially playing on Yahoo in a keeper league. 

9 hours ago, duke of queens said:

Any word on any improvements to Yahoo this year? 

The ability to add party hats on player pictures, which are 30% larger, I'm sure will be a big hit with long time fantasy managers. 

My personal favorite: Instead of handedness of the batter, it will now show their astrological sign paired with the current moon phase. 

Like previous seasons, the list of changes will include a lot of features that fantasy managers have been clamoring for. 

Sadly, not included will be any updates related to improved keeper/dynasty management, deeper player pools, or more advanced settings such as custom categories or other similar items, there simply wasn't enough demand. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, osb_tensor said:

The ability to add party hats on player pictures, which are 30% larger, I'm sure will be a big hit with long time fantasy managers. 

My personal favorite: Instead of handedness of the batter, it will now show their astrological sign paired with the current moon phase. 

Like previous seasons, the list of changes will include a lot of features that fantasy managers have been clamoring for. 

Sadly, not included will be any updates related to improved keeper/dynasty management, deeper player pools, or more advanced settings such as custom categories or other similar items, there simply wasn't enough demand. 

So funny yet so sadly true.

I'm in 3 leagues and all 3 are leagues that started with all of us as "unknowns" to each other. We've developed friendships over the past couple years. So it's been nice. I'm starting my 4th league this season ( soon ). As I feel 4 is a good number for me. Gotta rely on some luck when recruiting and hope it all works out well. So far, it's been good. No issues.

• Like 1

So by popularity, it seems that Fantrax has the nod over ESPN, Yahoo, CBS, etc?  Has anyone else noticed this as well?