Dugout Legend

2018 Fantasy Baseball Platform Central -- ESPN/Yahoo /CBS/Fantrax, etc..

24 minutes ago, Short Porch said:

Does anyone recall if Yahoo roto leagues lets you go past the innings cap as long as all your pitchers are going for that day or will all of the pitchers be locked once you hit the limit on gameday?  I only have 3 innings left going into tomorrow and I am thinking of streaming multiple pitchers.

As long as you are under the pitching limit starting the day all the stats will count.  Always was that way, always will be.  There is no super duper military grad silicon valley approved software on any fantasy platform to "sense" and cut off stats in the middle of the day.

And your plan to stack pitchers on the last day has been used for years and years so have at it and good luck.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Also works for OF and Util.  I had no idea.  The 2nd place team had 1 game left for OF and Util going into today and started all OF and Util and the stats counted.

Learned something new.

Personally I think it's crap.  I think Yahoo - a multi billion dollar company could hire a programmer to block you from entering a 2nd utility position if you have 1 game left.  You fill out Util and then it grays out the 2nd Util spot.

I wish there was a complete list of these kind of tricks somewhere.

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

Also works for OF and Util.  I had no idea.  The 2nd place team had 1 game left for OF and Util going into today and started all OF and Util and the stats counted.

Learned something new.

Personally I think it's crap.  I think Yahoo - a multi billion dollar company could hire a programmer to block you from entering a 2nd utility position if you have 1 game left.  You fill out Util and then it grays out the 2nd Util spot.

I wish there was a complete list of these kind of tricks somewhere.

But what if that one utility player ends up not playing?  Then that slot is still available...

Plus this "trick" has been Yahoo roto leagues for at least 15 years...

Edited by posty

Posted (edited)

But what if that one utility player ends up not playing?  Then that slot is still available...

Just check to see who is playing that day and fill the slot like you would normally.

Plus this "trick" has been Yahoo roto leagues for at least 15 years..

Doesn't make it right.

Edited by KingJoffrey

1 hour ago, KingJoffrey said:

Doesn't make it right.

You not liking something doesn't make it wrong, either...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

Just check to see who is playing that day and fill the slot like you would normally.

Doesn't make it right.

Sure it does.  Yahoo states in their rules it works that way from the get go.  And how in the hell could any software cut off stat collection in the middle of the day?  They would have to individually hack everyone's account after the fact and remove part of their stats by guess work one by one. Maybe they would finish in doing that by the year 2023.  No one wants to be hacked and no fantasy platform would ever be that anal.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Doesn't make it right.

(note: the quote is actually by Hanghow .....I originally responded to wrong post)

This has been the rule on every fantasy site I have ever used .... and I ALWAYS use this rule to my advantage.    I make it a point that for multi-player positions (like OF and util) I get it down to a single game left and then play the max number of players on the day I reach (and exceed) the max players.   And with about a week left in the season I even look for teams with double-headers scheduled and try to pick up players on those teams so I can fully maximize the number of games played for my team.  

Same goes for pitching.......the plan is always to get the innings remaining down to single digits, and then use the waiver wire to start as many pitchers as possible on the day I reach/exceed the limit ......if I don't exceed the innings limit by at least 25 innings I am disappointed in myself (unless the danger in the era/whip cat's isn't worth the risk)   Often times I exceed the innings limit by 40+ innings.

It's your own fault for not understanding the rules of your league .... in the   very first fantasy league I played I realized that I needed to figure out  what happens on the day a player/team reaches the innings/games played limit..... so I looked up the rules and planed my strategy accordingly.

Edited by misterf
  • Like 1

Cbssportsline is rightly counting stats for today's games.  The roto season is for the regular MLB season, and since these are considered regular season games the stats should count.

What if a guy gets traded during the season and plays in more than 162 games, should we not count his stats for game 163?  

Or what about Pit / Mia? they only played 161 games, should they force them to play today so they have 162 games?

Go into your league settings to find your end week. Mine in Yahoo specifically says September 30th. 

ESPN tells season end date by matchups by week, defines matchup for playoffs by week also.

There is notice of a week running longer than 7 days except at the ASB when they combine two weeks.

2 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

Cbssportsline is rightly counting stats for today's games.  The roto season is for the regular MLB season, and since these are considered regular season games the stats should count.

What if a guy gets traded during the season and plays in more than 162 games, should we not count his stats for game 163?  

Or what about Pit / Mia? they only played 161 games, should they force them to play today so they have 162 games?

The difference is when there's just 1/2 games left on a Monday, everyone picks up a bunch of jabronis if they can, to get more stats. Would suck if youre in a roto league and you lose because someone picks up eric kratz just for today. 

Yes it's not fair when some team only plays 161 games.  However if you're in a daily league, you might have just subbed someone else in that day anyway.  If a player gets traded and gets an extra game, super. Thats like one guy who plays 163 games like every 4/5 years or so, it's not a problem,. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

The difference is when there's just 1/2 games left on a Monday, everyone picks up a bunch of jabronis if they can, to get more stats. Would suck if youre in a roto league and you lose because someone picks up eric kratz just for today. 

Yes it's not fair when some team only plays 161 games.  However if you're in a daily league, you might have just subbed someone else in that day anyway.  If a player gets traded and gets an extra game, super. Thats like one guy who plays 163 games like every 4/5 years or so, it's not a problem,. 

Weekly lineups solves this problem, just add another day to the end of the last week.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Weekly lineups solves this problem, just add another day to the end of the last week.

Yeah that would basically solve it. My CBS league actually has a tuesday lock for the week so nobody was able to change their lineup for today. Problem is most leagues do it on Mondays.  They should all probably just in advance prepare to make Monday part of that final week.  I dont have a tremendous opinion on whether or not 163 should could when nobody can make pickups specifically for it.  If a week out you pick up some jabroni on a team hoping to get 1 extra game in the even that theres a tie, thats a pretty big risk (with minimum payoff), I'd still just play the better player.

Edited by brockpapersizer

22 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Sure it does.  Yahoo states in their rules it works that way from the get go.  And how in the hell could any software cut off stat collection in the middle of the day?  They would have to individually hack everyone's account after the fact and remove part of their stats by guess work one by one. Maybe they would finish in doing that by the year 2023.  No one wants to be hacked and no fantasy platform would ever be that anal.

Yahoo says you have X games played per position and X for innings pitched (according to league settings).  That's the rules of your league.  Going over those limits is a glitch, nothing more.

4 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

Yahoo says you have X games played per position and X for innings pitched (according to league settings).  That's the rules of your league.  Going over those limits is a glitch, nothing more.

But it does make a mockery of starting limits. Haven't played Roto on Yahoo but for H2H/Roto it is present. Takes some of the Roto's crowd saying that the best team always wins if you can exceed max limits for a season.

6 hours ago, Low and Away said:

But it does make a mockery of starting limits. Haven't played Roto on Yahoo but for H2H/Roto it is present. Takes some of the Roto's crowd saying that the best team always wins if you can exceed max limits for a season.

If everyone in the league is playing by the same rules than who cares if you can go over. I've seen multiple times where it hurt more than helped teams and cost them the championship because pitchers got blown up.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

If everyone in the league is playing by the same rules than who cares if you can go over. I've seen multiple times where it hurt more than helped teams and cost them the championship because pitchers got blown up.

Then why have the limits to start with if they can be exceeded?  If the max was 1500 innings and one team because his pitcher goes 1/3 of an inning more putting him at 1500.3 he is done and another team's pitcher goes a 1/3 of an inning less and hits 1499.6 so could stream 9 pitchers while going over the cap is that fair? 

1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

Then why have the limits to start with if they can be exceeded?  If the max was 1500 innings and one team because his pitcher goes 1/3 of an inning more putting him at 1500.3 he is done and another team's pitcher goes a 1/3 of an inning less and hits 1499.6 so could stream 9 pitchers while going over the cap is that fair? 

So there isn't extreme streaming throughout the season. Yes its fair as its within the rules and everyone knows don't risk going over before the last day. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

So there isn't extreme streaming throughout the season. Yes its fair as its within the rules and everyone knows don't risk going over before the last day. 

What rule?  The rule would seem to be 1500 max innings or does max mean something I am not aware of? You seem to be talking about a programming glitch that data collection can not tell when the inning that would put you over actually occurs thus counts all innings for that day

1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

What rule?  The rule would seem to be 1500 max innings or does max mean something I am not aware of? You seem to be talking about a programming glitch that data collection can not tell when the inning that would put you over actually occurs thus counts all innings for that day

Fantasy leagues usually have rules associated with them. This is in my rules. I can't change Yahoos platform so we need to insert rules to coincide with the platform limitations.

5 hours ago, duke of queens said:

Totally.

2 hours ago, Low and Away said:

It's exceeding at the start of the day.  Not at the end of the day. 

If you don't like it, Yahoo is hiring programmers now.  Their ads for same are on every League's page on Yahoo now and have been for some time.  Go apply and re-write a million lines of code so that you can micro manage thousands and thousands of leagues during each minute of a single day because something that has the same rules for everyone is suddenly unfair after 15 years.  Then sit back  and feel the wrath of 99% of players at the end of next season who know the rules and are upset you suddenly changed them for no good reason.

• Like 1

Exploiting a website's inability to install software that enforces customs league rules and settings that have caps or limits is a blatant way of cheating, period. 

League rules and settings supersede hosting site's default settings, that's why they're called 'custom settings", when you set up a league, put in limits, those rules and settings are what you go by, it's not intended for someone to find the loophole so they can ignore the league settings, that's called cheating and it's not debatable. Otherwise, what's the whole purpose in making custom settings with caps or limits? The settings and rules do not say that it is ok to go over the cap/limit on the last day if you are under the cap/limit on the last day, I mean, how dumb do you have to be to sit there and say, well, the rules say I'm not supposed to go over the cap/limit, but since no one can enforce it, f-em, I'm going to cheat, that's exactly what you're doing, cheating and trying to justify it by saying it's the rule of the hosting site, f our settings and rules.....

sucks that this is the the mindset of those of you that insists that it's ok to cheat, oops, I mean, operate within the , cough, cough, rules, and ignore the custom settings and rules put in place, and the fact that you guys will argue to the point of fisticuffs about it...  and the best part? It's happening in FREE leagues!! Really must have a sad life if you have to find loopholes to cheat out a win in a free fantasy game.....rotoworld posters at their best 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, FISH ON said:

Exploiting a website's inability to install software that enforces customs league rules and settings that have caps or limits is a blatant way of cheating, period. 

I think it's more about commissioners doing a bad job setting expectations.  The important thing is that commissioners remind each team of this "feature" and let everyone have an equal chance to use it.

Yahoo (and other platforms) support a certain set of custom settings, but those settings are limited in what they can do, which creates the loophole.  Yahoo is very open about this loophole, and I have to think other platforms are too or they'd be inundated with people complaining that they lost because someone "cheated" (by doing the thing that they explicitly tell you is possible to do.)

Most commissioners  just go with what the platform provides.  Unless the commish is going to try to calculate what the outcome would have been if the limits had been hit at the precise moment they were crossed (and good luck doing that in a repeatable way!) then the loophole is the rule, and this whole notion of people "cheating" is a red herring.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, Yahoo can't be bothered to have a working image link for their trophies this season.

image.png.1366dc76e6ccc35807a8ac23081f0eed.png

Posted (edited)

Maybe they forgot to update the "17" on the trophies to "18" and had a whoops moment, haha.  They did let go their old staff in the process of starting to hire the new one so the coder that knew how to update that is probably in the unemployment line now.

I'm always amused that the trophies never have your team listed with them either in the 2017 version of trophies or the old trophies template they used in the past seasons.  Just a bunch of generic gold,silver and bronze ones with the old style smaller bronze ones looking like turds more than anything else.  At least 2016 model which was a bit darker "bronze" (more like brown) than the earlier years' ones.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

1 hour ago, FISH ON said:

League rules and settings supersede hosting site's default settings, that's why they're called 'custom settings", when you set up a league, put in limits, those rules and settings are what you go by, it's not intended for someone to find the loophole so they can ignore the league settings, that's called cheating and it's not debatable. Otherwise, what's the whole purpose in making custom settings with caps or limits? The settings and rules do not say that it is ok to go over the cap/limit on the last day if you are under the cap/limit on the last day, I mean, how dumb do you have to be to sit there and say, well, the rules say I'm not supposed to go over the cap/limit, but since no one can enforce it, f-em, I'm going to cheat, that's exactly what you're doing, cheating and trying to justify it by saying it's the rule of the hosting site, f our settings and rules.....

sucks that this is the the mindset of those of you that insists that it's ok to cheat, oops, I mean, operate within the , cough, cough, rules, and ignore the custom settings and rules put in place, and the fact that you guys will argue to the point of fisticuffs about it...  and the best part? It's happening in FREE leagues!! Really must have a sad life if you have to find loopholes to cheat out a win in a free fantasy game.....rotoworld posters at their best 

I love to know youre solution to last day of the season with limits. 

• Like 2