Dugout Legend

2018 Fantasy Baseball Platform Central -- ESPN/Yahoo /CBS/Fantrax, etc..

6 minutes ago, k.k. said:

Same probs here with ESPN. Also having some weirdness with CBS Sports site. I don't play any fantasy baseball there, but I can't access player and team pages for MLB at the moment either. Odd. Maybe not just ESPN?

Yahoo is working fine, lol.  ESPN and CBS are/were probably tinkering with stuff because of fantasy football season coming up.  This time of year all platforms suffer from that because all platforms are 90% tilted to fantasy football first last and always.  So they don't care about messing up fantasy baseball as opposed to beta testing the stuff first.

Nice timing by ESPN to mess up the 7 pm games though.  At least Yahoo's "read only" thing a day or two ago was over hours before the first game started.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

. I hope they didn't lose the data like they did about 12-14 years back and just have us restart the season lol

Woah.  More details on this?

7 minutes ago, The Waker said:

Woah.  More details on this?

I can't remember the exact details but I think it was 2007 or 2008 about 3 weeks into the season something happened and every single baseball league restarted. 

1 hour ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

I can't remember the exact details but I think it was 2007 or 2008 about 3 weeks into the season something happened and every single baseball league restarted. 

Wow. I’m surprised they recovered from that.  But between playing Yahoo and ESPN platforms I can see why.  Yahoo is just awful.

Hackers have it out for sports today?  Jesus

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yahoo is working fine, lol.  ESPN and CBS are/were probably tinkering with stuff because of fantasy football season coming up.  This time of year all platforms suffer from that because all platforms are 90% tilted to fantasy football first last and always.  So they don't care about messing up fantasy baseball as opposed to beta testing the stuff first.

Nice timing by ESPN to mess up the 7 pm games though.  At least Yahoo's "read only" thing a day or two ago was over hours before the first game started.

BBT....you complain about Yahoo a lot but when another platform has issues you then go and turn your attention towards the negativities of that platform and in turn promote how good Yahoo is doing. Its quite comical so keep on doing it as I am on Yahoo and like the complaints

• Like 1

10 hours ago, duke of queens said:

BBT....you complain about Yahoo a lot but when another platform has issues you then go and turn your attention towards the negativities of that platform and in turn promote how good Yahoo is doing. Its quite comical so keep on doing it as I am on Yahoo and like the complaints

Eh that's just getting back at those people who attack Yahoo endlessly but never complain about their own platforms that they tend to view as way superior.  I enjoy doing that, tis true, hah.  But if we can't have fun here at the forum there is no sense in posting here.

Edited by tonycpsu

Prior to this year Yahoo re-did their player rating/evaluation system. You can read about it here: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN28432.html

[Thread merged with platform thread.]

Personally, I have many yahoo profiles and my main one is only Platinum level (Diamond is the highest level and seemingly pretty rare, while platinum is the next level and that is more common amongst us enthusiasts). My profile has a 70% winning percentage (which is very high, ridiculously high) but only at a platinum level -- this is likely due to ease of competition I've faced.

What do people think of this system? I'm not too sure I like it, but I want to hear more opinions on it. I think things like this are INCREDIBLY important for future fantasy success. I think if they had more rewards/ramifications for finishing at certain positions it could certaintly help against the 'dead' teams in leagues where people stop updating after a week.

If for instance, it was much more rewarding to get a finish of 7 over 12 in 12 team leagues, that might help stop people from quitting leagues.

Edited by tonycpsu
Merged with platform thread -- we can't have threads for every single platform-specific discussion / issue.

30 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

Prior to this year Yahoo re-did their player rating/evaluation system. You can read about it here: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN28432.html

Personally, I have many yahoo profiles and my main one is only Platinum level (Diamond is the highest level and seemingly pretty rare, while platinum is the next level and that is more common amongst us enthusiasts). My profile has a 70% winning percentage (which is very high, ridiculously high) but only at a platinum level -- this is likely due to ease of competition I've faced.

What do people think of this system? I'm not too sure I like it, but I want to hear more opinions on it. I think things like this are INCREDIBLY important for future fantasy success. I think if they had more rewards/ramifications for finishing at certain positions it could certaintly help against the 'dead' teams in leagues where people stop updating after a week.

If for instance, it was much more rewarding to get a finish of 7 over 12 in 12 team leagues, that might help stop people from quitting leagues.

I didn't even know they did that until you mentioned it...and almost all of my fantasy leagues use Yahoo. Found out that I'm platinum in baseball with an 806, and it's my lowest score...my lowest score in my favorite fantasy sport. Lol. Next highest for me was football, and basketball (my least favorite sport) is my highest score...how weird, lol. Though I was apparently a diamond level football player from 2012-2016, dropping to platinum last year. 

In the end, I think it's meaningless. I honestly don't care what my level is as long as I'm having a good time playing in my leagues and am competing the best I can. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

In the end, I think it's meaningless. I honestly don't care what my level is as long as I'm having a good time playing in my leagues and am competing the best I can. 

Absolutely, however it's a nice addition from Yahoo and a good start towards bringing fantasy games into the future of gaming.

To me, there is a very big chance here to revolutionize public fantasy sports.

Yahoo first started with just tracking history... then they added those completely meaningless and failed 'medals'. These medals were absolutely horrible. It was like a bunch of old out-of-date men got together and said we need something to spice it up and saw how many people loved achievement hunting in other platform games (think PS4 Trophy hunting or XBOX achievement hunting) and said ok we can do that and came up with the worst possible system.

The medals were terribly easy and one could achieve 6 out of the 10 medals prior to the start of a fantasy season. The other 4 weren't very hard. Worst of all, it had absolutely no effect on anything you did in your profile. Literally -- nothing.

This year they made the best improvements possible by enabling this rating system. While I'm not sure yet if it is faulty or not, it doesn't seem very hard to reach platinum and it does feel meaningless as you stated.

What they need is to combine the achievement based system with a tougher rating system that focuses on where you stand in your leagues (to prevent people from having dead teams all year). They need to make the achievements/rating mean something with a ranking system or a benefit system. I'm not sure how this would look per se, but this would be the revolution of fantasy sports. People would be more addicted then ever.

I wonder how many people actually look at the profiles? Your post makes me wonder if most do. I never noticed the rating system because I never get on my profile. 

57 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

Eh I don't think the rating system going to change much in the long run.

In my case all it means is that:

1) YPros are pretty soft on average

2) Once you build a strong keeper/dynasty team its fairly easy to stay near the top if you're active, even in very competitive leagues.

6bznOgI.png

Edited by cs3

49 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

yea it doesnt make sense really. i went 7-1 in my 8 leagues in a week and i lost points off my rank. 

6 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I wonder how many people actually look at the profiles? Your post makes me wonder if most do. I never noticed the rating system because I never get on my profile. 

Everyone has their rating posted at the top of all my league's team pages, and it updates every week. I assumed it was like this for every Yahoo league, because I dont remember ever turning on the feature in any of the leagues I commish. Maybe not though?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cs3 said:

Everyone has their rating posted at the top of all my league's team pages, and it updates every week. I assumed it was like this for every Yahoo league, because I dont remember ever turning on the feature in any of the leagues I commish. Maybe not though?

It's not at the top of my team page on my Yahoo league. I see on yours you have a W-L record and a winning percentage, so I'm guessing you do h2h leagues. I just play roto...maybe that's the difference? Do you have any roto leagues with the rating posted on your team page? 

I dont have have any roto leagues on yahoo this year. Not sure if any roto teams from previous years were factored into the rating or not

1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

It's not at the top of my team page on my Yahoo league. I see on yours you have a W-L record and a winning percentage, so I'm guessing you do h2h leagues. I just play roto...maybe that's the difference? Do you have any roto leagues with the rating posted on your team page? 

That does seem to be the difference.

The rating system seems heavily focused on H2H rather than roto. However, roto leagues are accounted for in players profiles, just not incorporated into league pages at all, which is strange.

All head to head leagues have a league rating as well which is a combination of all league managers ratings and your league will be determined to be either silver/gold/platinum etc. That's kind of a cool way to see how tough your league is. :D

Just for clarification here:

The rating system separates Roto leagues and h2h leagues. It does not combine them.

Head to head leagues currently have more interface with the rating system while roto leagues have virtually no interface with the rating system (other than your own individual profile).

1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

That does seem to be the difference.

The rating system seems heavily focused on H2H rather than roto. However, roto leagues are accounted for in players profiles, just not incorporated into league pages at all, which is strange.

All head to head leagues have a league rating as well which is a combination of all league managers ratings and your league will be determined to be either silver/gold/platinum etc. That's kind of a cool way to see how tough your league is. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrypTviLL said:

I saw it before the season and yeah it seems just about H2H only.  I don't see the point.  I'm in two dynasty leagues in H2H (14 team and 16 team) and I am a Diamond.  Big whoop.  Doesn't get me free tee shirts or anything.  Don't see the point.  Just more rainbows and unicorns from Yahoo while still no fixing the damn NA slots.

But honestly I don't even see an overall League rating.  Where is it?

Whoa just check out to see that they changed the Profile page.  Where did all my great teams of yesteryear go.  They only have a graph and your entire history with each team is now gone.  Bummer.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

3 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I saw it before the season and yeah it seems just about H2H only.  I don't see the point.  I'm in two dynasty leagues in H2H (14 team and 16 team) and I am a Diamond.  Big whoop.  Doesn't get me free tee shirts or anything.  Don't see the point.  Just more rainbows and unicorns from Yahoo while still no fixing the damn NA slots.

Haha, your criticisms of Yahoo's inability is always spot on.

All I would say in response is that there IS meaning here, Yahoo just needs to develop it properly (and have this system be much more extensive and meaningful through ranking systems/benefits). Unfortunately, Yahoo's history on fantasy sports has been pretty poor. The whole medal fiasco showcases how out of touch they were/are.

• Like 1