txrngr34

2018 "Deep" Sleepers

Eric Longenhagen first mentioned Dodgers righthander Gerardo Carrillo in a tweet on June 19th after his 2018 two inning debut in short season in the AZL.

Carrillo has since been promoted to full season A ball where he has been dominant in two starts.  Carrillo turned 20 in September and is listed at 154 lbs but he is someone to keep a eye on in deep leagues.

On 7/20/2018 at 12:43 PM, 96mnc said:

What's Diaz's build?  The reason I ask is the stat line you've just presented is one of a guy that lacks strength and doesn't hit the ball with authority.  Insane speed + great eye + zero power = a guy that gets the bat knocked out of his hands.  The batting average shouldn't be that low. 

According to MiLB.com, he is 5'11", 171 lbs.

• Thanks 1

So the Cubs just drafted 18 year old Cole Roederer(CF) with the 77th pick over all in the 2018 draft, a guy completely unranked on MLB.COM and 161 on BA's top 500. BA comps him to Andrew Benintendi, while the Cubs FO has comped him to Mookie Betts. With that here's what he's done in rookie league thus far.

57PAs       .404/.509/.702   .549wOBA   .222wRC+    3HR 5SB   10BB/7K 

• Like 3

Christin Stewart -Tigers.  If he could play defense or run he would be a top 20 prospect.  He could have a monster bat which is what we care about.

He might be passable in left field.  With the corpse of Victor Martinez playing every day he could be recalled soon.

I believe Alexander Canario was a tout on this list at the beginning of the thread.  Started off extremely slow in Rookie league (started the season 2 for 25), but has turned it around.  He's been a hitting machine since then and has his average up to .261, but not much in the way of extra base hits (4 in total).  Only 18 years old (bday in May), so hopefully the power comes with age.  Most impressive has been his .393 OBP on the season.  He could be a monster if the power develops.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2018 at 1:04 PM, cizastro said:

I can't add on to my last post, but I'd also throw Logan Allen (90-94mph fastball, but he's a lefty in the Padres organization so his ballpark is very friendly) into the mix.  He's performed well at each level and is only 21 years old pitching well in AA.  His walks are a little high, but overall his WHIP is very respectable at 1.13.  If he continues to improve and can bring down his walk rate I think he could be another sleeper to keep our eyes on.

At 21 years old, Allen seems to be handling AA quite well with a 2.59 ERA and a whip just a tick over 1.

He pitched 125 innings last year, and already pitched 111 this year, so when he does get called up, probably in 2019, he shouldn’t be on too drastic of an innings limit.

Someone worth keeping an eye on, if Logan Allen keeps up with the status quo.

On 7/23/2018 at 3:04 PM, pduce242424 said:

I believe Alexander Canario was a tout on this list at the beginning of the thread.  Started off extremely slow in Rookie league (started the season 2 for 25), but has turned it around.  He's been a hitting machine since then and has his average up to .261, but not much in the way of extra base hits (4 in total).  Only 18 years old (bday in May), so hopefully the power comes with age.  Most impressive has been his .393 OBP on the season.  He could be a monster if the power develops.

3 for 4 with 2 hrs last night. Average now at .283 with an obp  of .408. He’s batting .357 over his last 10 games. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Another name for you guys today, 19-year-old Deivi Garcia who is a SP in the Yankees organization that I think he deserves some attention for the impressive season that he's put together to date. In a Yankees minor league system that is loaded with pitching, talents like Deivi Garcia can get lost in the shuffle and I think that is perhaps why he's not getting a lot of attention. Very quietly, he's been one of the better pitchers in the South Atlantic League and that continued this week in a 6 inning performance in which he struck out 12 against 0 walks, and allowed just 2 hits and 0 earned runs. That performance pushed Garcia's season ERA down to 2.97 over 39.1 innings pitched, and he has racked up a super impressive 63:11 strikeout to walk ratio along the way. His 16.3% swinging-strike rate in the South Atlantic League is elite and would rank among the league leaders if he had enough innings to qualify. Note that his FIP and xFIP are both below his actual ERA and suggest that he's been unlucky to date.

Looking at his repertoire, he's got a fastball that hits the mid-90's and a plus curveball that has really impressive depth and consistently tumbles down below the hitter's bat. Both of which are also known as very high spin rate offerings! He also has a changeup with good fade and most project a 45/50 on it which is plenty with his dominant fastball/curveball combo. Remember that he's just 19 too, so there's lots of time to improve upon that changeup. Reports from the spring suggested below-average to poor command with Eric Longenhagen saying "he's got at best 30-control right now," but I think that's old news as his 11 walks in 39.1 innings pitched this year and 19 walks in 60 innings last year suggest that he has no issues throwing strikes. The only concern I really have for him is his build as he's listed at just 5 foot 10 and 163 lbs. That's both short and slight, and rightly or wrongly, it will give pause to evaluators projecting 200+ innings going forward. Regardless, he's got tons of talent and he's in a system that seems to be able to develop pitching well. A solid 3 pitch mix including 2 plus pitches gives him a strong floor and ceiling and overall, his combination of swing and miss stuff along with solid control has him in a position to rise up prospect rankings going forward. He should be on your radars in deeper dynasty leagues for sure!

Edited by garlando
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

I don't want to start yet another Padre minor leaguer outlook, but they have yet another arm now in AA, if you are looking for a future closer stash, the name is

Andres Munoz-  The details.  He is 19 in AA, they brought him up about 3 weeks ago from short season low A as an arm fill in, and all hes done is taken the closer role for San Antonio, and gone 5/5 in saves while allowing 0 runs

on the season his numbers are

15 IP 18 k's and a zero era.  Opponents are hitting .104 off him

his velocity is already touching 100

He did that last season at low Single-A. And he did even more often during the Arizona Fall League last year. In one outing, seven of the 11 pitches he threw clocked at more than 100 mph.

https://padres.mlblogs.com/padresondeck-velocity-puts-andres-munoz-on-the-fast-track-947fb7c5f9b1

also an article on the wave of Padres minor leaguers that you might not know yet, but these guys will all be knocking on the top 100 door very soon

https://eastvillagetimes.com/2018/03/10-padres-prospects-to-watch-in-2018/

especially, Ornelas, Patino, Munoz, Ruiz

Edited by Golden Spikes
  • Thanks 6

Posted (edited)
On 7/20/2018 at 3:43 PM, 96mnc said:

What's Diaz's build?  The reason I ask is the stat line you've just presented is one of a guy that lacks strength and doesn't hit the ball with authority.  Insane speed + great eye + zero power = a guy that gets the bat knocked out of his hands.  The batting average shouldn't be that low. 

Sorry I didn't see this. anyways since then in only 176 total ABs on the season Eddy Diaz taken his BA from .265 to .307 AVG. And is up to 54 SBs and only caught 8 times and 30 walks to an incredible 14 strikeouts. He's got a nice lean build for a young kid and you can tell he's gonna fill out a bit but might not put on that much more weight. heres a pic of him, not recent tho, this was from early 2017.

eddydiazprospecto

Edited by JakeSarna
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JakeSarna said:

Sorry I didn't see this. anyways since then in only 176 total ABs on the season Eddy Diaz taken his BA from .265 to .307 AVG. And is up to 54 SBs and only caught 8 times and 30 walks to an incredible 14 strikeouts. He's got a nice lean build for a young kid and you can tell he's gonna fill out a bit but might not put on that much more weight. heres a pic of him, not recent tho, this was from early 2017.

eddydiazprospecto

Awesome.   Definitely on my radar now... and no he doesn't look weak at all. 

• Like 1

What's all this positive buzz on Luis Garcia I'm reading....the Nats SS....do we like him?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bigbossman said:

What's all this positive buzz on Luis Garcia I'm reading....the Nats SS....do we like him?

I know a lot of people are very high on him. I believe some people coming into the season disagreed on who had a higher ceiling between Garcia & Yasel Antuna. But one thing has become clear, Garcia is much more polished, will stick at SS and is showing decent future power. Its a known fact that Garcia knows how to make consistent contact but still tends to hit too much on the ground. Either way, he's a double plus runner with a plus hit tool and plus defense. And on top of all that he's in HiA as an 18 year old. If you watch his ABs you can see how advanced his approach is. I can easily see him developing into a prospect who walks as much as he strikes out.

And the Nats are proving to be the kings of developing international prospects. And they are not shy with rewarding them with quick promotions. Young Nats prospects are the best to own. They get developed, they are rewarded for succeeding and they get to the majors quickly. Its like the polar opposite of being an elite Rockies prospect. Garcia should be owned in all dynasty leagues. The way he's hitting in HiA, he should finish this season there but will most deff be starting next season in AA. And if Garcia completely breaks out next season, the Nationals will not be afraid to give him a shot similar to Juan Soto this year and Robles last year.

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2018 at 2:01 AM, 96mnc said:

Awesome.   Definitely on my radar now... and no he doesn't look weak at all. 

only downside I see is that he's in the Rockies system. So if they dont deal him in the next few years then he will most likely be 23 when they finally give him 1 or 2 ABs a week. And thats 5 years away. 

What is Diaz injury I can't find it anywhere. Just saw that Eddie Diaz is on the DL anyone know what the actual injury is?

On 7/23/2018 at 3:04 PM, pduce242424 said:

I have him in dynasty so try to keep up with him. His hands are lightning fast and as you state the power isn't quite there yet. But expect it to come as he fills out. I see a CF/RF in Canario. Still a few years away, but has big time potential if he matures physically as we suspect and he develops ability to deal with off speed pitches.

On 7/8/2018 at 12:21 PM, Tryptamine said:

and yet all I keep hearing is back of the rotation guy/reliever. The results are too good and eventually they'll have to stop ignoring them.

Widener. Do NOT understand why he hasn't been at least called to AAA, he has made mincemeat out of AA. He was moved from RP to SP and has developed that third pitch to compliment his fastball and slider. High spin rate, athletic, repeatable delivery with solid control while missing tons of bats. Looks like a SP to me and given the Backs have a good compliment of righties in their pen, not to mention excellent RP Sherfy on the farm, they have no need to alter the path of Widener they have set for Starter.   

Started the year slow, but overall relatively new to pitching. Athletic with an almost ideal future projection pitcher's build.

Certainly worth owning in deeper leagues where getting quality pitching is supremely important. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 8/9/2018 at 6:07 PM, bugkilla said:

What is Diaz injury I can't find it anywhere. Just saw that Eddie Diaz is on the DL anyone know what the actual injury is?

NOTE: I apologize, i just realized that i posted about him in this thread. I went to look for his thread and saw it didn't exist. And then realized i wrote about him here. I wish there was an erase button. Sorry again for basically writing the same thing.

It seems like its a mystery injury. Heres the latest on it:

Link: Rockies' Eddy Diaz: Out with undisclosed injury

I wrote about this kid in his thread awhile ago but I can't state enough how much i love prospects like him. He's the type of future leadoff hitter i drool over. A straight up pure hitter, who isn't just a slap happy singles hitter like Myles Straw. Diaz at 18 already racks up doubles & triples. He also has double plus speed with a few scouts grade out as 80 but most grade him out as a 70-75. And he doesn't only have speed but hes already an advanced and very skilled base stealer. Before he left Cuba, some raved on his ability to already be between bases when the ball leaves the pitchers hand. I saw a video last year that showed his insane ability to jump off the base when stealing but couldn't find it right now. Because of this ability, once he's on base his basically a lock to steal. Which is pretty evident by his 54 stolen bases in 50 games while being caught an amazing 8 times. There are so many young prospects who have plus speed but takes quiet a bit of time developing an ability to successfully steal while preventing to get caught.

So a player with his skillset is a player you want on base, all the time. Once again he has another incredible skillset thanks to his double plus plate discipline comes in. He literally  has 2 times more walks then strikeouts...31 walks to 16 strikeouts. And thats not a fluke...he was known in Cuba as someone who just doesn't strikeout and is constantly improving his ability to take walks.

Power is the only thing this kid is missing. But since he basically has everything else, if he could just develop enough power to hit 15 HRs a season when he's in the majors...Diaz is gonna be a fantasy stud. He does not have a slappy swing either. He seems to be able to drive the ball with a nice line drive swing. IMO, All he really needs to do is just get stronger and homeruns will come. He's already got a nice compact athletic build. He also plays for the ROckies and will be playing have his games at coors. Well part of me wants him traded so we dont have to wait 5 years until he's officially an everyday hitter. Another part wants him with Colorado because playing in coors will play all his skillsets up a notch especially in terms of power. But i believe his skills will play anywhere and he'll develop some decent power regardless of playing in Coors.

Edited by JakeSarna

Two 17 year olds that are obviously years away.

D'Shawn Knowles in the Angels organization from the Bahamas turns 18 years old in January.  He is an outfielder that was impressive in the AZL in 30 games.  Got promoted to the Pioneer league and has been even better in 17 games.  Combined Knowles has a 331/420/915 slash and should be in full season ball as a 18 year old in 2019.  He has 5 hrs and 8 steals in 47 games.

Melvin Nunez from Cuba was the Cardinals biggest international signing in 2018.  Due to penalties the max they could was the $300k they gave him.  Nunez turns 18 in March.  He is only in the DSL but his stats are amazing.  In 43 games he has 13 homers with 59 RBIs and a 415/500/1286 slash. Nunez in a 3rd basemen.  

47 minutes ago, Lonny Baxter said:

Two 17 year olds that are obviously years away.

D'Shawn Knowles in the Angels organization from the Bahamas turns 18 years old in January.  He is an outfielder that was impressive in the AZL in 30 games.  Got promoted to the Pioneer league and has been even better in 17 games.  Combined Knowles has a 331/420/915 slash and should be in full season ball as a 18 year old in 2019.  He has 5 hrs and 8 steals in 47 games.

Melvin Nunez from Cuba was the Cardinals biggest international signing in 2018.  Due to penalties the max they could was the $300k they gave him.  Nunez turns 18 in March.  He is only in the DSL but his stats are amazing.  In 43 games he has 13 homers with 59 RBIs and a 415/500/1286 slash. Nunez in a 3rd basemen.  

Correction it is actually Malcom Nunez not Melvin .

• Thanks 1

I always read and rarely contribute; but i think the name of Heath Quinn should be on deep league radars.

He had a horribel '17, but 2018 was way better. Could be a late season pick up.

I'm thinking of dropping Canario for him.