txrngr34

2018 "Deep" Sleepers

Keep in mind there are two jose garcias. One ss on reds and one OFon cardinals. I've seen the latter on lists too.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2017 at 9:50 PM, txrngr34 said:

Saw the 2017 "Sleeper" post JenksDodger put up and figured it's time for a 2018 thread.

Sleepers are relative to each league, obviously, so I'd like to try some guardrails:

• Dynasty leagues
  • Potentially available in leagues rostering 400+ minor leaguers
  • Signed an MLB-affiliated contract (sorry, no Otani - at this time)
  • NOT on any major top-100 lists

• Jaime Barria SP - LAA  Kid just knows how to pitch, never had a BB/9 above 2.2, stuff good enough to K more than minor league numbers suggest and succeeded at 3 levels last year

Love Barria. The upside is lower than some others but definitely should be an opportunity for him to contribute this year at the big league level. Every year theres a few pitching prospects off the radar at least somewhat who end up really contributing in the MLB, even more so than the top ranked guys sometimes (last year-Luis Castillo, Jacob Faria, Lamet) and i think Barria could be one of those guys this season. 

Another name for you guys! 17-year-old Alexander Canario (OF) of the Giants organization put up a .294/.391/.464 line in the DSL last year with 5 HRs and 18 SBs in 274 PAs. That came with very solid peripherals of 12 BB% and 14.6 K%. Ultimately he posted a 147 wRC+. What grabbed my attention was that KATOH on Fangraphs is really in on him, ranking him 33rd on the 2018 top 100 KATOH prospects list. That's a pretty big endorsement for the system to buy into Canario, especially for a guy that hasn't made it to full-season ball yet. Haven't found a scouting report on him in my Google searches but here are a couple things I wanted to point out. He's listed at 6 foot 1, 165 lbs, so he's very projectable in terms of adding size and power in the future. He played mostly RF last year in the DSL, but did get 7 games in CF. He earned a trip to the DSL All-Star Game and took where he took home the MVP of the event. He also played last year as a very young 17-year old as he still has 3 months to go before his 18th birthday which made him one of the younger players in the league. He's a name to watch imo!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2017 at 6:54 PM, I like baseball said:

I was at work so I really didn't have the time to go into detail.  That said, I'll oblige though a lot of it will just be regurgitated from scouting reports.

Akil Baddoo, OF, Twins - Eric Logenhagen mentioned his name a few times last season in a couple of his features.  His name is starting to pop up in more and more chats as well.  He's athletic, shown an impressive eye, and has potential to be a 5 tool player.  Everytime I pulled up Elizabethton's box score to check Wander Javier's stats, Baddoo just kept on hitting and getting on base.  Has gotten some Benintendi comps and has serious helium potential imo.

Corbin Martin, P, Astros - Throws hard, athletic, and has a power curveball.  The Astros have done a great job developing young pitchers in their farm system and it looks like they might have stumbled onto another gem.  Drafted in the second round of last year's draft.  Throws 4 pitches and has a chance to be a solid 3 if he continues to exhibit the control he has shown so far.

Daulton Varsho, C, Diamondbacks - Daulton?  Catcher?  Yes he was named after Darren Daulton.  Has MLB bloodlines and in a great organization for fantasy potential.    Hit .311/.368/.534 last season with 7 homers and a solid BB/K ratio.  Not as enticing as a OF but if he can stay behind the plate, he can make a fantasy impact in Arizona.  Not ownable now, but worth keeping an eye on as a deep sleeper.

Joey Rose, 3B, Diamondbacks -  I honestly don't know very much about Rose but as I go through my daily routine of checking box scores, his numbers intrigued me.  Strike outs look concerning but he's 19 and truthfully, a ton of prospects do.  Hitting is his calling card.  Here's a little tidbit of him in highschool.

More Vilade praise from a Keith Law chat:

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2018/02/08/klawchat-2-8-18/

Rocky Mountain High: Whom do you expect to give more of a push to Arrenaudo in the future, Welker or Vilade? Not saying they take the job from him, but the guy that gives management thought about the next Rockies 3B. 
Keith Law: Vilade. He might be a stud. Team USA staff loved him as a player and a person. I have generally gotten negative enough reports on Welker’s defense to think he at least has a chance to move off that position.

On 10/24/2017 at 3:55 PM, osb_tensor said:

tristen lutz, OF, Brewers - he's 6'3" and 210 lbs at 19 yrs old, so he's a pretty good size guy who will probably end up playing RF. scouts gave him a 60 grade on raw power with average speed. he finished 2017 with 9 HR and 3 SB in 40 games with a slash of 306/390/559. as mentioned above, milwaukee is a great hitters park, so he's probably worth monitoring in deep leagues.

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/6/5/15732616/tristen-lutz-of-arlington-texas-2017-mlb-draft

Just saw this on Lutz from today's chat with Law: http://meadowparty.com/blog/2018/02/22/klawchat-2-22-18/

Luigi: All the commentary I’ve read about Tristen Lutz praises his power. What is the reputation on his hit tool? How good he can be? 
Keith Law: His skill is extremely hard contact, which leads to power. It’s not sell-out, dead pull power. He can hit.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I've heard even higher grades on his power.  Not sure how deep he is, probably should be top 100 already. He's 81 on rotowire currently. 

From McDaniel's chat today: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/kiley-mcdaniel-chat-2-23-18/

Oliver: All the commentary I’ve read about Tristen Lutzpraises his power. What is the reputation on his hit tool? How good he can be?

Kiley McDaniel: I’d look for a 5 bat and 6 or 7 game power, playing an average RF. That’s kinda the expectation if you like him. And that’s obviously really good. Risk is the distance to the majors, time to maturity and contact/not getting to the power in games.

On 09/02/2018 at 10:59 AM, garlando said:

Another name for you guys! 17-year-old Alexander Canario (OF) of the Giants organization

I love you and the board. Just drafted him in the last round of 18 teams dynasty

I would have never known about him!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

I love you and the board. Just drafted him in the last round of 18 teams dynasty

I would have never known about him!

33rd on the 2018 KATOH rankings for what it's worth - that's how impressive his production was given his age. More than worth a last round flier in any dynasty format. Can't wait to see him stateside this season

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018-top-100-katoh-prospects/

Posted (edited)

Any thoughts on Gabriel Arias (SS - San Diego)? I’m seeing his name pop up a lot of places as a breakout guy. 

Edited by PurpleHaze479

I like Tristen Lutz a lot too, like most others here. However, I don't see him being available in a 400+ minors league. I drafted him 28th overall in a 16-team amateur draft (all signed IFAs from Oct 2016 - Oct 2017, and 2017 FYP draftees that signed) this past October.

Here are a few of my early Spring sleepers:

• Vidal Brujan, 2B, Rays: switch-hitting middle infielder with superb approach (~10% BB and ~9% K), good speed to manufacture runs, defensive chops to be a good 2B; lacks power currently but still has chance to develop double-digit pop - just turned 20 in February and is likely to finish the year at AA if he plays well in high-A
  • Pablo Reyes, 2B, Pirates: another 2B with an excellent approach (~11% BB and ~13% K) and double-digit pop already, has decent speed but gets picked off once for every 2 bases he steals, is 24 years old and likely ticketed for triple-A to begin the season but he's already on the 40-man so he could help you this season
  • Bailey Falter, LHP, Phillies: drafted 5th round out of HS in 2015 as groundball pitcher with excellent control but developing command of 3-pitch arsenal, has a clean, repeatable delivery in a prototypical starter's body frame, while his development has been slow and steady, it's been progressive; reports suggest that if he can further refine his low-90s FB, big CB that could use more bite, and developing changeup he could be a mid-rotation guy with a floor of a back-end or LOOGY - high-A and/or double-A will be a big indicator of his realistic potential

Posted (edited)

Probably will never be a real life top 100 guy, but someone who could be valuable in a deeper league, and may be up at some point this year potentially.

Joe Mccarthy 1B/OF TB

Bauers, Jesus Sanchez, Justin Williams, and Garrett Whitley get most of the press as outfield prospects in TBs system, but McCarthy was impressive in his own right.

In 2017 put up an impressive statline across AA (He's 24 years old):

.284AVG .409OBP .434SLG 149WRC+

A massive 16.2% BB to go along with a 17%K rate.

His biggest problem is his lack of power.

He only hit 7HR, but does steal some bags with 20SB. 

Someone to keep an eye on in a deeper points or OBP/TB league that could contribute this year. TB has some room in the OF now with some of these trades and that's where they have been playing him primarily in ST.

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • Like 1

Not sure how deep of a sleeper he is as he was drafted late in the first round but Nate Pearson is an absolute stud.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FouLLine said:

Not sure how deep of a sleeper he is as he was drafted late in the first round but Nate Pearson is an absolute stud.

I think he's somewhat of a sleeper, but not a deep sleeper to me. He's on quite a few Top 100s already. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I think he's somewhat of a sleeper, but not a deep sleeper to me. He's on quite a few Top 100s already. 

Yeah under valued is probably a more accurate term.

He's not on MLB.com's top 100... He's like in the 90's on the few I saw him.  I think fangraphs was the highest I saw him at #79?  So far the guy already out produced McKay at the same level over a very small sample size. 

33 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

He's not on MLB.com's top 100... He's like in the 90's on the few I saw him.  I think fangraphs was the highest I saw him at #79?  So far the guy already out produced McKay at the same level over a very small sample size. 

Fangraphs guys said basically “if he stays healthy, he shoots up the list this year”

He should have his own thread. Someone basically begged me not to until his minor league draft was done 👀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FouLLine said:

BP had him as one of their "just missed" prospects from the top 101 and compared him to Walker Buehler

Here's a short snippet of what they wrote

In 2017, we snuck Walker Buehler into the top 100 ranking him 94th, he had thrown five innings.  Now in 2018, Buehler has skyrocketed to 21st.  What does this have to do with Pearson? Well the 6-foot-6, 245-pound Blue Jay has a whopping 20 pro innings under his belt and like Buehler could make a similar leap in the rankings next year.

Posted (edited)

One of the more intriguing arms in the Angels system: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/eric-longenhagen-prospects-chat-3-20/

Vincent Vega: Any recent thoughts on Jose Soriano?

Eric A Longenhagen: Was sitting mid-90s on Sunday. He looks great.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-20-prospects-los-angeles-angels/

Soriano is the best of several teenage Latin American pitching prospects whom the Angels have had at the team’s complex in Arizona for the last two years. He is a fluid and graceful 6-foot-3 righty with an easy, athletic delivery and a broad-shouldered frame with room for growth. Soriano was sitting 87-92 in April of 2017. By late summer, he was 91-95 and flashing an above-average breaking ball. His changeup barely exists, but scouts are optimistic about it because of the delivery and athleticism.

Soriano is the same age as most junior-college prospects (and, I’d argue, has more physical projection than they typically do), and his stuff lines up with recent JUCO arms who have been taken late in round one or early in round two. He’s a potential No. 3/4 starter who is a great distance from the majors.

Edited by NYR Fan 116894

And also a power freak with MIL: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/eric-longenhagen-prospects-chat-3-20/

Mike: Any thoughts on Ernesto Martinez Jr? He seems like he could be a potential star if the hit tool plays up

Eric A Longenhagen: He’s raw, but he has 8 raw power projection. He was on the HM section of the Brewers list

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-30-prospects-milwaukee-brewers/

Ernesto Martinez, Jr., 1B – Martinez’s father still plays Division I baseball in France, at age 44. Ernesto, Sr. played pro ball in Cuba until 2006, then left for France’s Templiers de Sénart, where he still catches. Ernesto Jr. moved from Cuba to France shortly after a strong showing in a U-15 World Championship tournament that also featured Royce Lewis. He played with his father on France’s 2017 WBC qualifier team then signed with Milwaukee in May.

He’s massive (listed at 6-foot-6, 225 on the instructional-league roster), well built, and very explosive for his size. He has a plus arm but does not yet have full control of his body on the baseball field, and his defensive footwork and feel for hitting are both very raw. He’s already got plus-plus raw power and has top-of-the-scale raw power projection, but you really have to dream on the bat to see him hitting at all, let alone to get to all that power. But he can do stuff like this and like this. Ooh la la, indeed. Let’s keep an eye on this young man.

Long ways off.

Ernesto Marinez Jr was very over matched once he came stateside.  

On 2/8/2018 at 11:21 AM, brockpapersizer said:

Frecier Perez was mendtioned eadlier. Dude is 6'8", crazy how the Yankees keep finding them in the international market.

I like this Luis Medina guy. BP is pretty high on him ranking him 7th as a 19 year old one of the best systems. He has potenyially 2 plus secondaries and 100+ mph fastball which almost sounds not impressive with how many guys they have that can hit 100. Anyway bp said potential front line starter and they don't just throw that around.  The fact that he made it to full season as a 19 year old is telling about how the Yankees feel about him. Someone  to watch in a deep system and could be under the radar because of it. I imagine if he was on another team his report would stand out more.

Came across this today in McDaniel's chat: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/kiley-mcdaniel-chat-3-21-18/

Blorg: Have any spring training updates on any prospects? Any 3rd pitches or velo upticks you’re excited about?

Kiley McDaniel: Just got a bonkers report on Luis Medina. He may be a 50 FV now (but we’ll wait until in-season to adjust it). Also got a new name that will be on the Yankees list (which is basically done) that I had literally never heard until today. He just got to America this week, so many Yankees people don’t really know much about him.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hudson Potts, 3B, SD

Potts has big power and started to come alive in the 2H last year as an 18 year old in the Midwest League. He hit .278/.325/.512 in the second half last year. He should start this year as a 19 year old in the High A California League.  That league tends to be a hitters haven, and when you pair that with Potts' power, he might post some big numbers.

He isn't the most selective hitter and does have some swing and miss issues but the power is intriguing.

He homered against the White Sox on Wednesday

Edited by rdf8585
  • Like 1