txrngr34

2018 "Deep" Sleepers

5 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I always like it when fangraphs peeps in on my guys. Thanks @NYR Fan 116894

More Medina praise: http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2018/03/the_next_luis_severino_yankees_flamethrower_18_wow.html

An opposing scout watched 18-year-old Yankees right-hander Luis Medina let loose a fastball in the first inning of a low-level minor-league game Saturday.

The scout then peaked over the shoulder of a man holding a radar gun right in front of him. It read 100 mph.

Over the rest of his three innings, Medina's fastball averaged 97 mph.

"It was something else," the scout said. A second opposing scout said he believed Medina was farther along at his age in his development than Luis Severino, the Yankees' ace who finished third in the American League Cy Young race in 2017.

MLB.com ranks Medina the Yankees' No. 7 overall prospect. Baseball America ranked him No. 8.

Yankees minor-league pitching co-coordinator Danny Borrell answered a few questions Tuesday about Medina, whom the team signed at age 16 for $280,000 out of the Dominican Republic in 2015.

What stands out most about Medina?

Borrell: Besides the obvious stuff, you're talking three plus pitches, and obviously a great body. The age. he's 18 years old. He'll turn 19 in May. He's got all the ingredients. It's a nice, repeatable delivery. He's made adjustments thus far -- last year to this year, he's throwing more strikes. He's going along that development curve quite nicely.

Coachable? 

Borrell: He's great. From the get-go. Even as a 16-year-old, he's been -- he's just like any other teenager. They get stubborn from time to time. But our job is to teach. We're almost like surrogate parents around here. We've got to help these kids grow up. But, man, he's been a model citizen, especially since last year, and only expect for him to get better as he goes.

What does Medina throw?

Borrell: He's a fastball-curveball (pitcher), 96-100 mpb. He'll average just north of 97. Curveball is 79-84 and right now grades as a plus pitch and his changeup's 90-93. Almost looks like a split coming out of his hand with some good action. Does a nice job with all three pitches. Obviously, a little scattered. But if I were 18 and I threw that hard, I'd be a little scattered, too.

Did you hear much about Medina before the Yankees signed him?

Borrell: I know it was a big ordeal. Obviously, as a 15-year-old, he was probably throwing 96-98. Probably the hardest-throwing 15-year-old in history of baseball. There was obviously a lot of fanfare but our scouts did a tremendous job of just sitting him down and really just making sure we made the right decision. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

More Medina praise: http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2018/03/the_next_luis_severino_yankees_flamethrower_18_wow.html

"Obviously, as a 15-year-old, he was probably throwing 96-98. Probably the hardest-throwing 15-year-old in history of baseball. "

yeah I decided to do a search to see what else was said and saw this article, best part bolded

He has advanced secondaries! I think the curve is good and the changeup is a work in progress.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 2

Ronaldo Hernandez, C TB

Hernandez is a player that I really, really like.  I think you'll see him shoot up prospect lists at the end of the year.  Hit .332 at 19 in the Appy league last year, with pop (22 doubles and 5 HR in just over 200 AB), and by all reports that I've read, scouts believe the hit tool is real.  He's also a very good catcher and likely to stay behind the plate long term-throwing out some ridiculous number of runners last year (couldn't find the stat).  I know Sickels,BA are all really high on him, and he's one that you've got to get either now....or soon.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

On 3/21/2018 at 8:01 PM, rdf8585 said:

Hudson Potts, 3B, SD

Potts has big power and started to come alive in the 2H last year as an 18 year old in the Midwest League. He hit .278/.325/.512 in the second half last year. He should start this year as a 19 year old in the High A California League.  That league tends to be a hitters haven, and when you pair that with Potts' power, he might post some big numbers.

He isn't the most selective hitter and does have some swing and miss issues but the power is intriguing.

He homered against the White Sox on Wednesday

Potts homered again on Friday but that one was an inside the park job.

https://www.mlb.com/padres/news/hudson-potts-hits-inside-the-park-home-run/c-269560154

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rdf8585 said:

Potts homered again on Friday but that one was an inside the park job.

https://www.mlb.com/padres/news/hudson-potts-hits-inside-the-park-home-run/c-269560154

Love Potts. If his second half is any indication... could be in for a big year. Would love to see him walk more though with the swing and miss to his game. A lot of the Padres prospects deeper in the system fly under the radar where they would easily be top 10 in other systems.

Tirso Ornelas

Luis Almanzar

Esteury Ruiz

Jeisson Rosario

Jordy Barley

Edward Olivares

Jorge Ona  - still has yet to live up to the hype but there is still time.

Gabriel Arias (obviously)

All other names to watch in that system, and I'm still short changing some that I didn't write.

Edited by Dirtywater97

On 3/21/2018 at 10:11 PM, brockpapersizer said:

yeah I decided to do a search to see what else was said and saw this article, best part bolded

He has advanced secondaries! I think the curve is good and the changeup is a work in progress.

McDaniel and Longenhagen just released their Yanks list today over at Fangraphs: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-27-prospects-new-york-yankees/

Medina checking in at 7: 

Medina joins Florial as a player with enormous variance in his projection. Given that Medina is a pitcher with some effort who has yet to reach full-season ball, he probably even surpasses Florial by that measure. In the last week, Medina sat 96-98 and hit 99 mph, flashing an easy plus slider and changeup that flashed above average. He threw 22 of 27 pitches for strikes, which is especially encouraging, as Medina showed 20 command at times as an amateur and at times last summer in pro ball. With a chance for three plus pitches and possibly two 70s, there’s obvious frontline potential. Even average control with electric stuff helps approach average command, but quality strikes are obviously a focus in his development.

Medina was a known amateur prospect whom I saw throw twice, hitting 96 mph with 20 command both times, with concerns he may have been on steroids drying up his market. One international scouting director who’d just had Medina in for a workout asked me just after July 2nd if he should sign the right-hander for $200K or if the rumors were true. In the end, Medina passed multiple MLB-administered tests and eventually hit 100 mph afterwards, so the Yankees were pleased to roll the dice on a rare arm. The keys going forward for Medina are to keep his adrenaline under control and focus on developing starter traits rather than blowing stuff past low-level hitters; he may be the player I most anticipate seeing this spring.

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2018 at 4:23 PM, NYR Fan 116894 said:

Anthony: Have you seen Jose Soriano this spring?

Eric A Longenhagen: Yep. Looks great. Mid-90s, is in great shape, plus breaking ball. He’s only done it an inning at a time so far this spring (I’ve seen both his starts) but if he holds that kind of stuff for 5-6 innings early in the year he’s a top 100 guy.

Apologize if this has been asked already, haven’t looked through the whole thread. What about either one of the TB Pitchers that are potentially going to be called up soon. From stat scouting looks like Yarbrough has higher K potential while Chirinos may have safer floor with lower BB%. Either one of these worth the add in dynasty?

Keep an eye on Griffin Canning, RHP, LA Angels

College arm out of UCLA who commands a nice 4 pitch mix - FB/slider/curve/changeup. He was seen as a 1st rd pick in last years draft but fell to the 2nd due to injury concerns, though nothing ever really came out about what those potential injury concerns were. Here's a snippet from Jonathan Mayo prior to the draft

That is what appears to have happened with UCLA right-hander Griffin Canning. Ranked No. 17 on our Draft Top 200 list, Canning is a highly regarded college arm who was looking like a middle of the first round talent because of his extremely consistent season. But word was spreading as the final weekend before the Draft approached that there were some issues with his medical report that were causing teams to pause at the very least.

According to sources from multiple teams, Canning's MRI returned some potential issues. Such reports are not uncommon and it will be up to each team's medical staff to interpret the results, but as of Friday night, some teams had already decided to pass on Canning, while others are waiting to hear back from their doctors on how to proceed.

After the Angels nabbed him in the 2nd rd, they promptly shut him down due to his workload at UCLA.

The reason why I'm listing him here is because so far this spring and including tonight in his professional debut, Canning has been routinely sitting mid to high 90's with his fastball. He was 90-94 MPH with it in college. He can be a fast mover since he's an advanced college arm with good secondary stuff. The uptick in FB velocity improves the overall package here

• Like 4

Wanted to throw out the Pirates' Travis Macgregor out for opinion.  Secondary stuff was lacking, but mechanics were decent when the Pirates drafted him in 2016 (which many believed to be a reach), however his stuff has continually shown improvement since, and his stat line to begin this year was very impressive  (5+ innings, 12k, 1 BB, 1 ER).  

As the highest prep arm to sign with Pit since Mitch Keller, back in 2014, is there any reason to believe that the Pirates scouts have uncovered another diamond here?

• Like 1

Another name to watch is Francisco Morales of the Phillies organization. He’s a right handed pitcher, and a guy I've liked and owned in my deep dynasty since early last year. I picked him up last year because I thought he had all the ingredients to be something special! Mid 90's fastball, a potential plus slider that gets swings and misses plus feel for the changeup. His frame is the ideal pitchers build for his age (6 foot 4 and 185 lbs which means he has some projection left which could give him an extra jump on his fastball velocity at some point) and that reports on his makeup were outstanding (very hard worker and has a big desire to improve). The Phillies gave him an aggressive assignment to the GCL as a 17-year-old last year, and he more than held his own with a 3.05 ERA and 44 K's in 41.1 innings. Control wasn't great at 4.35 BB/9 but that should improve with more reps. His 32.1 Swinging-strike rate is awesome and was 4th best in the league which is impressive considering his age compared to his competition. His 3.64 FIP and 4.00 xFIP are very solid too and show he wasn't getting too lucky or anything. I'm a big fan of him and view him as a potential big breakout pitcher going into this year!

• Like 3

I'm with @garlando on Morales as someone worth watching immediately. Should probably have his own thread.

James Anderson already has him in his top 100 and not barely either, has him somewhere in the 70s I think. My biggest takeaway from listening to Anderson was almost nobody saw him pitch I'm the GCL last year which is why he's the only one in on him (from list guys)

Could easily be a big rankings breakout this year. I'd say it's being way too optimistic but Anderson said he could be this year's Whitley in terms of breaking out.

• Like 1

Keep an eye on '17 international signee CF Trent Deveaux.  Hailing from the Bahamas, he has yet to play in a professional game, but his blistering 80 grade speed is eye catching.  He also boasts an advanced plate approach, considering his age (18), with reports suggesting 20+ HR upside.  He's lanky in stature, but should grow into his 6'3 frame moving forward.  If he hits, he could move quickly through the Angels system.  

Certainly worth a flier now before he is more recognizable on the stateside scene. 

• Like 2

so many great touts in this thread! great, much appreciated work by all of the members who contribute. i wish my farm team had more roster spots.. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, osb_tensor said:

so many great touts in this thread! great, much appreciated work by all of the members who contribute. i wish my farm team had more roster spots.. :rolleyes:

No Doubt - I salivate reading these forums and have only so much room........... but then again, it is a good problem to have!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

@brockpapersizer @garlando

Thanks gents.  Where is he expected to debut this year?  MiLB.com still lists him in the GCL. Thanks a bunch.

per CBS

Morales will open the season in extended spring training, MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo reports.

The 6-foot-4 righty's only pro experience came in 41.1 innings last year in the Gulf Coast League, so it's understandable that he was not sent directly to Low-A to start the season, but it is a little disappointing given the hype surrounding the young fireballer. The Phillies will undoubtedly monitor his innings closely this season, but he should have no problem finishing the year in a full-season league. He has everything we look for in a future frontline starter, but there is obviously a ton of risk involved, given his age and lack of experience above the GCL.

On 3/24/2018 at 2:00 PM, Dirtywater97 said:

Love Potts. If his second half is any indication... could be in for a big year. Would love to see him walk more though with the swing and miss to his game. A lot of the Padres prospects deeper in the system fly under the radar where they would easily be top 10 in other systems.

Tirso Ornelas

Luis Almanzar

Esteury Ruiz

Jeisson Rosario

Jordy Barley

Edward Olivares

All other names to watch in that system, and I'm still short changing some that I didn't write.

Jeisson Rosario with some opposite field power.

On 3/24/2018 at 2:00 PM, Dirtywater97 said:

Tirso Ornelas

Luis Almanzar

Esteury Ruiz

Jeisson Rosario

Jordy Barley

Edward Olivares

Andres Munoz was another name in that system that I was looking forward to seeing more of this year.   Kid throws gas and showed well in the AFL....elbow figures to keep him out awhile though....bummer... To your point, the talent is bountiful in that system.  There is plenty to be excited about for Padres fans (when's the last time we said that) moving towards the future. 

Posted (edited)

Will Craig

He has always had pedigree (selected 22nd overall) but was not tapping into his power only had 6HR all last year in A+. He already has 3HR in 5 games this year at AA.

Edited by Dirtywater97

Griffin Canning shined again in his 2nd start. He keeps this up and he won't be in High-A for too long

4.2 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K; 73 pitches - 47 strikes. 4 groundouts / 1 flyout

• Like 2

Justin Dunn, SP NYM

Following up the Will Craig post, here is another former first rounder (19th overall)  that  is showing signs of turning things around after being cast-off following a lackluster 2017.

2 Starts

10 IP

1-0

0.00 ERA

14:3 (K/BB)

Its a small sample size, and yes, he is older for the level (22), but after he struggled mightily a season ago, the positive results are promising.  The success could be attributed to greater use of the change-up, which he dedicated the off-season to improving.  He is also said to be more aggressively attacking hitters, showing an improved confidence. A 4 pitch arsenal that includes a solid upper 90's heater, along with a "bulldog" mentality, bodes well for Dunn resurfacing on the fantasy  radar again in 2018.

• Like 4

Another name for you guys is Ramon Urias of the Cardinals organization. He’s a 23-year-old 2B prospect that is the brother of the Padres high-end prospect Luis Urias. What makes him interesting? He’s done what lots of other recent breakout players have done recently…and bought into the flyball revolution. He broke out last year in the Mexican League, cutting his GB rate from 57.3% in 2016 to 39.9% in 2017, and subsequently upped his FB rate from 18.2% in 2016 to 37.9% in 2017. Add in a more pull-conscious effort and the result was a true breakout year in which he slashed .340/.433/.577 with 19 HRs and 12 SBs with very solid 8.9% BB and 16.3% K rates. The result was a super impressive 164 wRC+ as a 2B with power and speed. Now you may question it because of the performance being done in the Mexican League, but it is considered a close equivalent to AAA ball in the US. He signed with the Cardinals this offseason because they obviously buy into his change, and they are starting him at AAA Memphis which tells me he isn’t too far away from a potential MLB chance. The Cardinals also seem to have a reputation for finding guys out of nowhere that performs…perhaps this guy is the next. I think he's worth monitoring and those in very deep leagues, he could be a worthwhile pickup for free! You can read more about  Ramon Urias and his swing change here:

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2018/3/25/17161034/system-sundays-scouting-ramon-urias 

• Like 8

Trevor Stephan, SP New York Yankees

2018 Stats

2 GS

10 IP

1.80 ERA

0.70 WHIP

14:1 (K/BB)

An over-the-slot signee a season ago, third round pick Trevor Stephan has shown extremely well through two starts in 2018, following an aggressive assignment to High-A Tampa (skipping Low-A).  The former Razorback can hit 98 mph on the gun, sitting normally between 91-95 mph (w/late life), as well as a decent slider.  The development of his change-up, which is currently a work in progress, will ultimately determine if his future is in the rotation or bullpen, but the Yanks are currently grooming him as a starter.  At 6'5 and 225 lbs he possesses an ideal inning-eaters build. 

Put him on your radar!

• Like 5