txrngr34

2018 "Deep" Sleepers

Saw the 2017 "Sleeper" post JenksDodger put up and figured it's time for a 2018 thread.

Sleepers are relative to each league, obviously, so I'd like to try some guardrails:

• Dynasty leagues
  • Potentially available in leagues rostering 400+ minor leaguers
  • Signed an MLB-affiliated contract (sorry, no Otani - at this time)
  • NOT on any major top-100 lists

A few I thought I'd throw out there:

• Jake Rogers C - DET  Strong defensive catcher who's bat has played well at every level and now resides in a system in dire need of catching depth, walks more than 12% with double-digit power
  • Esteury Ruiz 2B - SDP  Middle infielder with plus speed and some pop, only played rookie-level ball to date but the tools and stats are there
  • Anthony Jimenez OF - SEA  Legitimate power/speed threat with a decent hit tool has a lot of swing & miss still but fared well in his first season of full-season ball
  • Jaime Barria SP - LAA  Kid just knows how to pitch, never had a BB/9 above 2.2, stuff good enough to K more than minor league numbers suggest and succeeded at 3 levels last year
  • Joe Palumbo SP - TEX  Unheralded lefty reliever-turned-starter is recovering from TJS and probably won't pitch til summer at earliest but used his fastball-curveball combo effectively in his first look in the rotation at the end of 2016
  • Tyler Wells SP - MIN  6'8" college arm mowed down lower-level hitters - as he should - and is one to watch as he moves to upper levels, everything I've read says "sleeper" to me
  • Thanks 2

Great post @txrngr34

heard of Albertos and Ruiz. The others were new for me. Ruiz should be owned in a lot of leagues, not too many attractive middle infielders outside the top guys l, he seems like he has a decent ceiling worth stashing.

Tyler Wells seems super interesting, hard to find much on him, but I’ll be tracking him.

• Thanks 1

I'll throw out a few names.

Akil Baddoo, OF, Twins

Corbin Martin, P, Astros

Daulton Varsho, C, Diamondbacks

Freicer Perez, P, Yankees

Joey Rose, 3B, Diamondbacks

Mark Vientos, 3B, Mets

Ryan Vilade, 3B, Rockies

Jose Miranda, 2B, Twins

If you guys have an extra spot, I'd add Baddoo.  If he hits the way he did last season, he's going to rocket up some prospect list.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I like baseball said:

I'll throw out a few names.

Akil Baddoo, OF, Twins

Corbin Martin, P, Astros

Daulton Varsho, C, Diamondbacks

Freicer Perez, P, Yankees

Joey Rose, 3B, Diamondbacks

Mark Vientos, 3B, Mets

Ryan Vilade, 3B, Rockies

Jose Miranda, 2B, Twins

If you guys have an extra spot, I'd add Baddoo.  If he hits the way he did last season, he's going to rocket up some prospect list.

I'll second this one - Freicer Perez, P, Yankees

Baddoo is a trendy name i was hearing a lot of last season.

If you really like some guys, can you explain why... like @txrngr34 did?  It's hard to just see a list of names and that want to research them. 

I picked up Monte Harrison in a league where 320 prospects were owned at the end of the season.   I hyped in his own thread, but that's a guy who could be a 5 Tool OF in one of the best hitter parks (Miluwakee)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Baddoo is a trendy name i was hearing a lot of last season.

If you really like some guys, can you explain why... like @txrngr34 did?  It's hard to just see a list of names and that want to research them. 

I picked up Monte Harrison in a league where 320 prospects were owned at the end of the season.   I hyped in his own thread, but that's a guy who could be a 5 Tool OF in one of the best hitter parks (Miluwakee)

I was at work so I really didn't have the time to go into detail.  That said, I'll oblige though a lot of it will just be regurgitated from scouting reports.

Akil Baddoo, OF, Twins - Eric Logenhagen mentioned his name a few times last season in a couple of his features.  His name is starting to pop up in more and more chats as well.  He's athletic, shown an impressive eye, and has potential to be a 5 tool player.  Everytime I pulled up Elizabethton's box score to check Wander Javier's stats, Baddoo just kept on hitting and getting on base.  Has gotten some Benintendi comps and has serious helium potential imo.

Corbin Martin, P, Astros - Throws hard, athletic, and has a power curveball.  The Astros have done a great job developing young pitchers in their farm system and it looks like they might have stumbled onto another gem.  Drafted in the second round of last year's draft.  Throws 4 pitches and has a chance to be a solid 3 if he continues to exhibit the control he has shown so far.

Daulton Varsho, C, Diamondbacks - Daulton?  Catcher?  Yes he was named after Darren Daulton.  Has MLB bloodlines and in a great organization for fantasy potential.    Hit .311/.368/.534 last season with 7 homers and a solid BB/K ratio.  Not as enticing as a OF but if he can stay behind the plate, he can make a fantasy impact in Arizona.  Not ownable now, but worth keeping an eye on as a deep sleeper.

Joey Rose, 3B, Diamondbacks -  I honestly don't know very much about Rose but as I go through my daily routine of checking box scores, his numbers intrigued me.  Strike outs look concerning but he's 19 and truthfully, a ton of prospects do.  Hitting is his calling card.  Here's a little tidbit of him in highschool.

During his senior season, Rose went head-to-head with Barnegat left-hander Jason Groome and Monroe right-hander Robbie Peto and performed well against both. Rose went 2-for-3 with a two-run double against Groome in a 7-1 Toms River North win and also picked up a hit against Peto in an 8-5 Mariners win. Groome was selected No. 12 overall Thursday by the Red Sox and Peto is considered one of the top 200 players available by Baseball America.

Beyond performing against the top pitchers on the Toms River North scheduled, Rose also put up huge numbers overall. This past season, Rose led N.J. with 11 home runs while also hitting .437 with six doubles, 33 runs and 38 RBI while also posting a .615 on-base percentage and a 1.015 slugging percentage.

In three varsity seasons at Toms River North, Rose hit .417 with 23 doubles, 18 home runs, 78 runs and 73 RBI. He also put up a career on-base percentage of .561 and a slugging percentage of .798, which both led the Shore Conference over the last three years.

Freicer Perez, P, Yankees - If you're looking for sleeper pitching prospects, just go down the Yankees and Astros farm list.  They are literally growing these 100 mph freak arms on trees.  He's 6'8 and has shown good enough control.  His name has been popping up a lot of multiple prospect chats and there are quite a few guys that have been drooling over his potential.  Definitely someone to keep an eye on... not sure I'd own him quite yet unless you're in a very deep league.  Such a rich system of similar arms.

Mark Vientos, 3B, Mets -  His numbers definitely don't leap off the page.  He's incredibly young at 17 and held his own in rookie ball.  Had his stock drop some before the draft for consistency issues but has had some Manny Machado comps.  You ever get one of those gut feelings about a prospect?  I have one about him.  I think in two years he'll be well inside the top 100.  I'd put him on my watch list.

Ryan Vilade, 3B, Rockies -  You like Colton Welker?  Well then you should like Vilade as well.  I find them to be quite similiar and I think the Rockies hit a home run with their "first round pick".  He plays for the Rockies which is great for fantasy potential and they've done a good job developing young hitting talent.  He had a strong debut showing plate discipline, hitting ability, and power.  He also won the UA homerun derby in 2016.  Nolan Arenado, Colton Welker, and Ryan Vilade... the Rockies should be in great shape for the forseeable future at the hot corner.

Jose Miranda, 2B, Twins - former 2nd round pick that made a formidable trio at Elizabethton with Javier and Baddoo.  He got off to a slow debut he made a nice jump in his second season.  Very overlooked and fits the profile of a deep sleeper.  Has shown a good eye, solid power, and supposely has a solid hit tool.  He could and should put on some more weight and could possibly see a big uptick in power.

Man that was rough lol and it took more time than I had to do.  I'll stick to 2 or 3 next time.  

Edited by I like baseball
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just a list of a few of the guys who at the very least are not universally top 100, but I think could be very valuable in the future.

Cole Ragans, LHP, Tex- Stock continues to rise for the guy consistently comped to Cole Hamels minus a tick or two of velocity.

Logan Shore, RHP, OAK- He's got Kyle Hendricks written all over him. 45 grade fast ball, but with a 70 grade change and command that could reach 60 or 65.

Chris Rodriguez, RHP,LAA- Very young and very raw, but the stuff is is excellent. In fact earlier in the year one writer said his stuff was better than both Morejon and J.Albertos

Jordan Humphreys, RHP, NYM- Had an incredible year in the minors, but had to have TJS in August. Surprised he didn't make any mid season top 100 lists.

Aramis Ademan, SS, CHC- A good bet to stick at SS, 19 year old Ademan was much better with the bat than expected at shortseason A ball.

JoJo Romero,LHP, PHI- Put up fantastic numbers across A and A+ in his age 20 season. He managed to put a lot of those possible reliever comments to sleep.

Kyle Funkhouser,RHP,DET- At one point he seemed a sure fire top 5 pick in the draft, but then velocity issues and other arm troubles sent him tumbling to the 4th round. Well the velocity is back and he's once again looking like the guy who was worthy of being a top 5 overall pick.

Austin Gomber,LHP, STL- Nothing really stands out about his overall numbers, but his 2nd was vastly improved, From July 1st on he put up a 2.64ERA with a 8.64K/9.

Brandon Marsh, OF, LAA- Oft injured, but spectacular when he's been on the field. Writers have been hyping this guy pretty good as a 4, maybe even 5 tool guy.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Kyle Funkhouser,RHP,DET- At one point he seemed a sure fire top 5 pick in the draft, but then velocity issues and other arm troubles sent him tumbling to the 4th round. Well the velocity is back and he's once again looking like the guy who was worthy of being a top 5 overall pick.

I like Funk a lot.

And don't forget - if memory serves - he was a Dodgers' supplemental 1st rounder in 2015 and only dropped to them due to money concerns (which turned out to be true since he turned down a decent bonus to be one of a few 1st rounders that didn't sign). So the pedigree is there.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Brandon Marsh, OF, LAA- Oft injured, but spectacular when he's been on the field. Writers have been hyping this guy pretty good as a 4, maybe even 5 tool guy.

Brandon Marsh is a guy I own. Angels have two higher ranked OF in their system (Addell and Jones), but Marsh was a beast when he played last year. Big year coming up for him.  I know Razball ranked him in their top 100 (66 overall), but he's likely not making many other top 100s because of how little he's shown so far. 

Funkhouser has quite a bit of upside, but he got hurt last year when he was hot and seems to have arm issues again last season. He didn't pitch in a game after 6/14.  Still though, for fantasy I like his upside than a lot of other guys who are mentioned.  

tristen lutz, OF, Brewers - he's 6'3" and 210 lbs at 19 yrs old, so he's a pretty good size guy who will probably end up playing RF. scouts gave him a 60 grade on raw power with average speed. he finished 2017 with 9 HR and 3 SB in 40 games with a slash of 306/390/559. as mentioned above, milwaukee is a great hitters park, so he's probably worth monitoring in deep leagues.

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/6/5/15732616/tristen-lutz-of-arlington-texas-2017-mlb-draft

MLB.com’s Jim Callis said on the MLB Network broadcast that Lutz could turn in a 30-home run player if he pans out.

“My sense is he’ll probably get overpaid at 34,” Callis said. “He’s got the big right-handed power teams look for, and what I like about it is he’s not just a raw power guy with swing and miss issues. This is a raw power guy that is translatable into game action because he can really hit.”

Edited by osb_tensor
  • Like 1

andy yerzy, C, diamondbacks - i'm not completely sold on this tout, but he's a catcher with 60-grade power and those don't grow on trees. in my "deep" league i've actually dropped and picked him back up a time or two, so he's definitely one of my bubble guys. 

relevant info: 19 yr old in rookie ball. hit 13 HR in 54 games in 2017, slashing .298/.365/.524.  K-rate 18%, BB-rate 9.5%

longenhanen over at fg doesn't think he'll make it as a catcher, and as a 1B prospect he's not generating enough bat to justify rostering. - https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/prospect-reports-arizona-diamondbacks/

the below quote was before he entered into the 2017 season, which i would call a breakout.. or close to it.

From baseballamerica.com in january 2017

Grant (Phoeniz, AZ): What do you think of Andy Yerzy? How did his skillset behind the plate look?

Bill Mitchell: Arizona's second round pick from high school in Toronto really struggled in his pro debut, both at and behind the plate. Yerzy’s got plenty of raw power and started showing signs of getting to it in games during instructional league by better using his lower half. He also made strides defensively after working with catching instructor Bill Plummer, and the Dbacks hope that he can eventually be close to an average defender. He's more of a long-range project at this point and will certainly need at least another year of short-season ball. Yerzy ranks in the 11-20 range, and you'll be able to read all about him in the indispensable Baseball America Prospect Handbook.

Edited by osb_tensor
  • Like 1

Jose Isreal Garcia -SS CIN.. Received a $5m signing bonus back in June and didn't suit up in 2017.. Project-able 6'2 frame, fantastic athlete from Cuba.. Has some really nice tools.. 19yrs old,  no hype to speak of right now.. but could be one to snag in deeper leagues.. I like grabbing guys like this before anyone else gets a chance to.. worst case - drop them, pick up someone else. 

Andres Munoz - RP SDP - Stud 18yr old RP thats done extremely well in the AFL, he's the youngest player in the fall league.. 8.2IP, 1.04ERA, 2BB, 11K.. If you need a closer to stash, here's your guy.. 100mph heat. 

Freddy Tarnok - SP ATL - Signed with ATL with an over slot bonus (3rd round) and is an extremely projectable SP. Has only been focusing on pitching for 2-3 years so doesn't have much mileage on his arm. FB sits in the low to mid 90s. He's 6'3 185lbs.. A lot to like here. 

Ronaldo Hernandez, C TB - Not sure if he qualifies as a sleeper but hit ..340 in the DSL last year and hit .332 in the App league this year.. he's a little bit older at 20yrs old.. Put up a SLG % of .507.. I love catchers that can hit and it sounds like his defense will be good enough to stick behind the plate.

A young guy who I've seen pop up a few times recently is Lolo Sanchez of the Pirates organization. He's an 18-year-old Rookie-ball CFer that is coming off a year where he hit  .284/.359/.417,  with 4 HR and 14 SB in 234 PAs, all good for a 123 wRC+. The raw numbers are good, maybe not earth-shattering, but he starts to look even more intriguing when you look under the hood. He walked more than he struck out with a 9 BB% and 8.1 K% rates respectively which is pretty impressive! This lends itself well to projecting a plus hitter which is exactly what Eric Longenhagen of Fangraphs did recently, slapping a future 60-grade hit tool on Sanchez. Longenhagen also mentioned that Sanchez loads his hands low, creating some natural loft in his swing. That along with future physical growth (Sanchez is listed at 6 feet tall, 150 lbs) gives reason to believe he can reach average or close to average game power. Add in Sanchez's natural plus speed (60 grade) and you have the look of a well-rounded fantasy prospect. Also note that he's been graded highly for his defense in CF with scouts projecting Sanchez to be a plus defender at peak. Ultimately, he looks a 4-5 tool CFer, and that's the sort of upside to bet on in fantasy. Sanchez reminds me a little of Leody Tavares who quickly rose to a top 50 prospect based on upside. Really think Sanchez could break out this year, grab him while you can.

• Thanks 2

Daniel Palka could be an asset this year. He's 26, but acquired off waivers by the White Sox who could use a lefty power bat in their lineup. Fell off a bit last year as he seems to have tried to work on his abysmal K rate, but in 2016 he hit 34 homers between AA and AAA. His ceiling is probably Adam Duvall, but that wouldn't be a bad return on a guy who's almost certainly going undrafted by, well...everyone.

• Thanks 1

Since I already roster these folks, here's who I like (haven't checked any top 100's lately, but I don't know that any are on there). 

Billy McKinney (OF - NYY) : I have cooled quick after the Stanton acquisition, as the path to playing time is even more blocked. Nothing jumps off the page about him, but 124 games, 29 2B, 7 3B, 16 HR (.483 SLG) with a .277 BA, and a really good K rate. Felt like he was a Dexter Fowler type bat, but with a SB total of ~5. Probably won't roster him again, but I do like the tools, but going to aim for a higher ceiling with my guys. 

Franchy Cordero (3B - SD) : Played 30 games in the bigs last year, but was a pretty undervalued prospect. I feel like there's some big time power in his bat just waiting to be showcased (.603 SLG in 93 AAA games last year, PCL but still....). A lot of swing and miss in his game, but he also runs. A 30 HR/20 SB campaign is not out of the question for me, with a .270's BA to boot. 

Tanner Scott (SP - BAL) : Guess it depends on if he's SP or not going forward, but I love his K rate and on a team that needs pitching. However, he's been injury prone, and will be in the AL East. 

Grant Holmes (SP - OAK) : Guys falling fast in prospect rankings, but I don't think it's justified. Had a good K rate and BB/9 in the minors (ok, pretty decent at least). After May this last year he had 100.33 IP, 90 H, 38 BB, 98 K, 43 ER. That'sa  3.4 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, and a K/IP. If you want to further cherry pick, throw out his 8 ER start (2.2 IP) in August, and he's got a shiny 3.2 ERA and 1.20 WHIP in 98 IP. Pedigree is there, and can still put it together (only 21 years old). 

• Like 1

There's another I'd grab if he was available, Lucas Erceg. Past 2 seasons: 257 games, 68 2B's, 30 HR, .259 and .256 BA's. Per 150 that's 40 doubles and 19 homers, with a great K rate and a moderate amount of walks. I think the HR and BA both go ^^^. He's a bit older for his levels (was 22 at A+), so I'd watch him in the early going in 2018. Great power potential in a hitters park (he's a MIL prospect for those who are not familiar). 

• Like 1

One of my tout guys I have yet to notice mentioned is NYM SP Marcos Molina-

He could move quickly this year, although his IP levels have not been built up due to injury.

Still, he's a guy that has fit in the backend of the Mets top 10 here and there and the stuff is very legit, keep an eye out-

Posted (edited)

I can't remember if he was mentioned in last year's edition of this thread but a name to know among SPs is Jairo Solis of the Astros organization. He's not among their top 30 prospects in almost every resource (yet), but he put together a very impressive 2017 as an 18-year-old in rookie ball. In 3 levels of rookie-ball, he struck out hitters at an excellent level (9.57, 10.29, and 10.93 K/9),  had acceptable walk rates (2.73, 3.00, 3.86 BB/9), and limited HRs. His 2.73, 3.00, and 1.93 ERAs with excellent FIP and xFIP across the 3 levels show how dominant he was in 2017. 

Found this little write-up on Solis earlier in the offseason from sixmanrotation.com:

Since being signed out of Venezuela in 2016, Solis has grown a bit to 6’3” and bumped his fastball velocity up nearly 5 mph to a high of 96 (though he’ll sit low 90s during starts). Solis has a quality breaker and changeup which are both progressing nicely, and although he is still mostly projection, he has the initial ingredients to continue developing as a starter. Ben Badler at Baseball America called Solis “more polished than Franklin Perez was at the same age”. He’s already come a long, long way since signing, and should only continue to get better.

One to keep an eye on in deeper formats for sure!

Edited by garlando
  • Thanks 1