txrngr34

2018 "Deep" Sleepers

Ronny Maurcio is a guy I've been interested in a while and now own in a deeper dynasty. I think @JFS179 mentioned him to me once pre season, and there's a great write up on him at http://www.pitcherlist.com/prospect-roundup-week-12/ (great article in general worth checking)

Also there was a BA Article much earlier this year where they said he could be the Tatis type breakout out of this crop.

Ronny Mauricio (SS, New York Mets) Age: 17, Level: ROK

Mauricio is thought to be one of the top international amateur signings from the 2017 international amateur class, and he made his professional debut in America this week on Monday. He has posted at least 1 hit in every game so far, and his season line in 4 games sits at .333/.294/.533 without a HR or SB, but 3 of his 5 hits have been doubles. The OBP is not a type, it’s a small sample size oddity caused by a sac fly which counts against OBP but not batting average. He’s a switch hitter with a smooth stroke from both sides and plus raw power who could be a big breakout candidate going forward with so much projection left in his 6 foot 3, 166 lbs frame. He also receives strong grades for his defensive skills at SS and he should be able to stay there for the foreseeable future. Keep an eye on him in deeper leagues as a breakout lottery ticket type.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 6/23/2018 at 8:20 AM, JakeSarna said:

Agree on Valera but you should also add TOR-3B Miguel Hiraldo. That boy is going to be a MONSTER! For a 17 year old, his plate discipline and overall patience at the plate is rare. Now it's a small sample but the gains he's made since his showcase before he signed with the Blue Jays to now is ridiculous. Showing a plus hit tool and in game power already.

Obviously anything can happen but Hiraldo is looking like another young International signing that's gonna fly his way into Toronto. I tend to wait until they actually start playing and having success in the states before I go crazy over them but Hiraldo is showing early signs of becoming a beast

Jake bro-great tout on Hiraldo! ithought was familiar on most of the high upside international prospects but hadnt heard of miguel hirado-kid is demolishing the DSL! he seems to be an extra base hitting machine and looks to have legit power to go with his incredible hit tool-luv the fact that he has as many walks as strikeouts

all over this kid now-picked him up in my dynasty this morning-

11 hours ago, My Roy Williams Tramp Stam said:

Jake bro-great tout on Hiraldo! ithought was familiar on most of the high upside international prospects but hadnt heard of miguel hirado-kid is demolishing the DSL! he seems to be an extra base hitting machine and looks to have legit power to go with his incredible hit tool-luv the fact that he has as many walks as strikeouts

all over this kid now-picked him up in my dynasty this morning-

Hiraldo playing SS today. Of note, something to watch he's already committed 7 errors.

I'm keeping my eyes currently on Taylor Widener out of Arizona.  I know AZ is not an ideal pitchers park, but Widener is 23 and has done well at every stop so far since being drafted out of college.  He did have an injury which set him back, but he's working low/mid 90's and apparently has a nasty slider when he's on his game.  Might be worth a flier if he continues to pitch well.  Not sure if he's ranked on any top 100/150 lists, but he may appear on it if he keeps playing the way he's been playing. 

Edited by cizastro
  • Like 1

Another name for you guys today, Edgar Arredondo of the Texas Rangers organization. He's a 21-year-old pitcher that just got promoted to AA after dominating the Carolina League (A+) as youngest pitchers in the league (3rd youngest overall among pitchers with at least 50 IP). He was an international amateur signing out of Mexico in 2013 after becoming the youngest player to debut in the storied history of the Mexican League when he pitched for Quintana Roo at the age of 15. Despite that, he seems to be flying under the radar as he's not yet been considered among the top 30 prospects in the Rangers system by any publication which makes him a prime candidate for you all you all to potentially pick him up for free before the hype catches up. At advanced-A ball on the season, Arredondo has posted a 2.88 ERA with 68 strikeouts against just 11 walks in 59.1 innings pitched. That's a 10.31 K/9, a 1.67 BB/9 which is a very impressive combination of swing and miss stuff and control. His 2.93 FIP and 2.79 xFIP both rank top 5 in the Carolina League and suggest that he his performance to date has been legit rather than luck based. His 13.5% swinging-strike is well above-average (for reference, MLB average this year is currently 10.7%) and ranks 13th best in the Carolina League. He was named to the Carolina All-star Game and did well there too. Remember that he's doing all of this while being one of the youngest pitchers in the entire league!

Regarding his scouting report, he reportedly throws a fastball that now sits 91-94mph and he locates it well all around the zone, he also has a mid 70's curveball that he uses as his out pitch along with a slider that he introduced in the 2nd half of last year. In addition, he also throws a changeup and I've heard that it's been the biggest growth for him as it has progressed from a fringey offering to a real plus weapon. That gives him a 4 pitch repertoire and along with above-average to plus command and you have the look of a very interesting SP prospect that most people haven't even heard of. Here's a nice example of him working outside to set up the inside pitch for the K:

He is now at AA after receiving a promotion after the Carolina League All-star game, and had his start last Friday where he went 5 innings, giving up just 1 hit and 2 ERs, and striking out 3 against 2 walks. I think he's a very interesting prospect in deeper dynasty leagues that is showing a lot of interesting skills and he should be on more radars than he is!

Edited by garlando
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

I can't add on to my last post, but I'd also throw Logan Allen (90-94mph fastball, but he's a lefty in the Padres organization so his ballpark is very friendly) into the mix.  He's performed well at each level and is only 21 years old pitching well in AA.  His walks are a little high, but overall his WHIP is very respectable at 1.13.  If he continues to improve and can bring down his walk rate I think he could be another sleeper to keep our eyes on.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, cizastro said:

I can't add on to my last post, but I'd also throw Logan Allen (90-94mph fastball, but he's a lefty in the Padres organization so his ballpark is very friendly) into the mix.  He's performed well at each level and is only 21 years old pitching well in AA.  His walks are a little high, but overall his WHIP is very respectable at 1.13.  If he continues to improve and can bring down his walk rate I think he could be another sleeper to keep our eyes on.

Added to my watch list. 

Luis Oviedo is a long way from the majors.  He does not turn 20 until next May.  However, Oviedo has taken a big jump forward this year.  After struggling last year in the AZL, he is dominating at the beginning of the New York Penn league.  Oviedo has 27 strikeouts in 16 innings with 1 earned run and only 3 walks.  He could be moving up the prospect rankings quickly. 

• Like 1

A more big league ready guy that might get the call fairly soon is Brandon Lowe.  His younger brother, Nathaniel, has been tearing it up this year and the older Lowe has kind of gone under the radar.  He started off really slowly in AA hitting .229 but has been on a tear since.  Recently, he was promoted to AAA.  Since his call-up, he's continued his hot hitting, especially in the power department.  Tonight he hit out his 7hr in only 75ABs with Durham.  Overall on the year between AA and AAA, he's hitting .298 avg., 15hrs, 76ks/43bbs, 8sbs, .397OBP, .553SLG.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

A more big league ready guy that might get the call fairly soon is Brandon Lowe.  His younger brother, Nathaniel, has been tearing it up this year and the older Lowe has kind of gone under the radar.  He started off really slowly in AA hitting .229 but has been on a tear since.  Recently, he was promoted to AAA.  Since his call-up, he's continued his hot hitting, especially in the power department.  Tonight he hit out his 7hr in only 75ABs with Durham.  Overall on the year between AA and AAA, he's hitting .298 avg., 15hrs, 76ks/43bbs, 8sbs, .397OBP, .553SLG.

I own Lowe in a 20 teamer and have been holding on to him.  I’d love to see him continue to rake.

Edited by apap414
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

I've made this mistake earlier in the year too but you're confusing Brandon Lowe with Josh lowe. Older brother Nathaniel Lowe and younger Josh Lowe are brothers. They have no relation to Brandon except are all in the same system...But I couldn't agree more with your post on Brandon Lowe (and the monster Nathaniel) otherwise

Edited by JakeSarna
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

Yeah Im starting to really warm up to Brandon Lowe. The rays seem to have finally drafted and developed some really good future players. Brandon Lowe, Nathaniel Lowe, Josh Lowe, keon wong, nick solak (keon wong and Nick solak are 2 hitters I'm falling in love with especially Nick solak), Jesus Sanchez, Lucius fox, Jake Bauers, willy adames, wander Franco, Garrett Whitley (Whitley can't seem to stay healthy but he has the potential to be a big time 5 tool player along with Wander Franco).

The rays have a ton of potentially really really good hitters on their way. What a shift for a system that was spitting out pitching studs year after year but couldn't develop a bat now seems to have done a complete shift and can't seem to develop pitchers like they used to. But good for them on finally taking hitting seriously

Edited by JakeSarna
  • Like 1

@JakeSarna thanks for pointing that out, haha, there are too many Lowe's in that system!  100% it is Josh Lowe and Nathaniel Lowe that are brothers.   And, I am with you on Nick Solak.  Very underrated.

Edited by BigPapi44
  • Like 2

Also, Lowe hit his 8th HR in AAA tonight, which is also the 8th in his last 40 ABs.

Edited by BigPapi44

46 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Also, Lowe hit his 8th HR in AAA tonight, which is also the 8th in his last 40 ABs.

Which one? 

• Thanks 1

Just now, bigbossman said:

Which one? 

BBM... see the above 6 posts; Brandon Lowe.  Hit his 7th AAA HR yesterday, and his 8th tonight.  8hrs in his last 40 ABs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2018 at 11:01 AM, JenksDodger said:

Rylan Bannon, 3B LAD - Disclaimer: He's 22 in HiA and is playing in the Cal League 

I'm not surprised they have him in HiA because the competition at Xavier isn't the best..  He's striking out a little more than I like, but he's also walking quite a bit too.. Now, he was an 8th rounder out of Xavier last year and is in the Rotowire Top 400 fantasy prospects... I believe he's top 200 on that list, if memory serves. He's hit 23 bombs in 93 games between last year and this year, showing a pretty dang good OBP% to boot. 29XBH through 53 games so far this year.. Have not seen any scouting reports, I'm purely posting this guy from finding him on the Rotowire Top 400 and liking his stat line. Keep him on your watch list. 

Still no one talking about this guy? 

18HRs with a .413OBP.. Sounds like he's going to stay on the dirt.. I give him some slack about being 22 in HiA because he played at Xavier.. A promotion to AA has to be coming soon... He plays in the Cal league but Rancho is pretty neutral hitting environment..  

• Like 1

Luis Rengifo has been going HAM too. 

Batting .345 in AA with a insane .449OBP through 30 games. He's only struck out 13 times. And has stolen 11 bases. 

Total stat line between HiA and AA is just ridiculous 

.332/.438/.498 66R, 4HR, 33SB 

21 years young.. He's going to be a top 100 prospect by years end, IMO. 

• Like 1

Just look at Lewis Thorpe's last bunch of starts... sleeper stud

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FouLLine said:

Just look at Lewis Thorpe's last bunch of starts... sleeper stud

Of what I remember he had alot of potential a few years ago but was derailed by injuries. Great to see him back

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FouLLine said:

Add Gavin Lux to the list

why? tell us more.

On 6/28/2018 at 9:59 PM, Lonny Baxter said:

Luis Oviedo is a long way from the majors.  He does not turn 20 until next May.  However, Oviedo has taken a big jump forward this year.  After struggling last year in the AZL, he is dominating at the beginning of the New York Penn league.  Oviedo has 27 strikeouts in 16 innings with 1 earned run and only 3 walks.  He could be moving up the prospect rankings quickly. 

Another dominate outing for Oviedo.  In 23 innings, he has allowed 1 earned run, 9 hits, 3 walks with 34 strikeouts.

Anyone know anything about Joel Payamps? He's a 24-year-old in AA. Probably nothing to get too excited over but I want to make sure. Have never heard of him until I saw that he pitched 5.2 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 0 BB, 15 K in last night's game.

He was in the bullpen until recently. But since he moved to the starting rotation this season he's put up these numbers in 6 starts: 

33.2 IP, 5 ER, 16 H, 3 BB, 45 K

The numbers look even better over just his last 4 starts:

23.2 IP, 3 ER, 12 H, 3 BB, 37 K

Dayum.

Edited by ReyesMurphyWright

1 hour ago, Lonny Baxter said:

Another dominate outing for Oviedo.  In 23 innings, he has allowed 1 earned run, 9 hits, 3 walks with 34 strikeouts.

What big league club?