txrngr34

2018 "Deep" Sleepers

21 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Not sure he is a "deep sleeper" but Tony Santillan. High 90s FB, slider, and change up flash plus. His biggest problem was command & control.

This year he started off with 21 scoreless innings pitched and he is rocking a 2.03BB/9 vs 3.94BB/9 last year.

Dennis Santana of the Dodgers is super interesting too.

yeah, santillan has been sitting at the top of my add pile for like two weeks now, but i just can't quite make room for an A-ball pitcher yet. but he looks really good. surprised no one else in my league has grabbed him yet. in true keep-forever leagues where upside matters way more than proximity he's a great pickup

some other pitchers in this category, i want but can't quite shoehorn in yet -

taylor widener ARI AA (from the yankees in the drury trade, striking out everyone so far) -

ryan borucki TOR AAA (actually had him but dropped him - changeup artist in the marco estrada vein, so not ace upside but close)

jorge alcala HOU A+ (102 mph fastball but not much else right now; #2 on last week's BA hot sheet; someone else in my league grabbed him this morning)

jose suarez again now

manny banuelos LAD AAA (remember him? 27 years old now but look at his early AAA numbers)

reggie lawson SD A+

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wily mo said:

yeah, santillan has been sitting at the top of my add pile for like two weeks now, but i just can't quite make room for an A-ball pitcher yet. but he looks really good. surprised no one else in my league has grabbed him yet. in true keep-forever leagues where upside matters way more than proximity he's a great pickup

some other pitchers in this category, i want but can't quite shoehorn in yet -

taylor widener ARI AA (from the yankees in the drury trade, striking out everyone so far) -

ryan borucki TOR AAA (actually had him but dropped him - changeup artist in the marco estrada vein, so not ace upside but close)

jorge alcala HOU A+ (102 mph fastball but not much else right now; #2 on last week's BA hot sheet; someone else in my league grabbed him this morning)

jose suarez again now

manny banuelos LAD AAA (remember him? 27 years old now but look at his early AAA numbers)

reggie lawson SD A+

A few other names, not previously mentioned here (at least I don't think), that are improving their stock are: 

Caleb Ferguson, SP LAD AA: Armed with one of the best curve balls in the Cal League, Ferguson has picked up where he left a year ago with 4 consecutive dominant performances for Tulsa

Austin Voth, SP Wsh AAA: Following an atrocious season a year ago, Voth has fared quite well through 4 starts, including a drastic increase in his k/9.  There's no stand-out tool, however he leverages his height well, & with AJ Cole out of the way, he could be next man up in Washington if his current level of success continues. 

Sean Murphy, C Oak AA: An improving hit tool, plus power and above average defense behind the plate, should soon make his name popular in prospect circles.

Kodi Medeiros, SP Mlw AA: Still walking way too many batters, but its at least slightly encouraging that the former first rounder has only given up 3 runs (9 hits) through 4 AA starts 

Travis MacGregor, SP Pit A: I've talked him up in prior posts/threads, so I need not say more :P

Geroge Valera, CF Cle: Better in the field than anticipated; arguably top hitter in the '17 J2 class.  Worth a stash in leagues that boast deeper minor league roster spots. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Not sure he is a "deep sleeper" but Tony Santillan. High 90s FB, slider, and change up flash plus. His biggest problem was command & control.

This year he started off with 21 scoreless innings pitched and he is rocking a 2.03BB/9 vs 3.94BB/9 last year.

Dennis Santana of the Dodgers is super interesting too.

Talk to me about Stewart.  Scouting report?  Stuff?

On 4/26/2018 at 4:51 PM, 96mnc said:

Talk to me about Stewart.  Scouting report?  Stuff?

I'm guessing you are referring to Santana.

Here is John Sickels take:

B-: Age 21, signed out of Dominican Republic in 2013; originally an infielder but has taken to pitching well; fastball up to 94-95, sometimes higher, with a plus slider; posted 3.57 ERA with 92/22 K/BB in 86 innings in High-A, 5.51 ERA with 37/23 K/BB in 33 innings in Double-A; advocates see a possible number two starter but this requires optimism with his shaky change-up and command projection, leading many to view him as a possible closer instead; higher physical ceiling than May but not as polished. ETA late 2019.

Ralph from Razzball's take:

Sinkerball pitcher with the ability to sit mid to high 90’s with the pitch. The movement on his fastball is a sight to behold, but at times it can impact his strikethrowing. He improved his changeup in 2017, allowing him to be more effective against lefthanders, while using his slider to keep righties off balance. His violent delivery, and effort in his mechanics gives Santana the appearance of a reliever even if he has the stuff to start.

Another more recent write up:

https://www.truebluela.com/2018/4/5/17204258/dennis-santana-2018-dodgers-prospects

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • Like 1

Miguel Amaya C CHI, he's 19 in A ball currently putting up a .269/.367/.481 line good for a wRC+ of 140. What's so great about him? The plate discipline and power are both well above average for a catcher, which are notoriously slow to move to the majors. He's also a very good bet to stay at C as he has a fantastic arm and very quick feet.  I might be a year early on this,  but by the end of 2019 I think he'll find himself on a top 100 list or two.

• Like 1

get calvin mitchell while you still can

he's up to the fourth-best wRC+ in low-A regardless of age, as a 19-year-old

#1 is juan soto, who's got everybody talking and was already promoted. #2 is juan yepez, who's very interesting in his own right, although he's a 1B with a .527 babip and showing less power than mitchell. #3 is some 23-year-old. then mitchell

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/27/2018 at 8:07 AM, brockpapersizer said:

Cavan Biggio is a super interesting tout, credit willy mo.

dynasty guru decided to blow up this guy recently. Looks interesting 

https://thedynastyguru.com/2018/04/26/esteban-quiroz-comes-america/

haha, i clicked on this thinking you were still talking about biggio, but damn, now i'm in love with quiroz too

damn you brock. i don't have enough minor league slots for this

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wily mo said:

haha, i clicked on this thinking you were still talking about biggio, but damn, now i'm in love with quiroz too

I've got one spot avail.  How would you rank the 3, Mitchell, Quiroz and Biggio?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wily mo said:

Im actually in on this guy @fawkes_mulder told me about. Joe Dunand, ss (probably 3b) for the Marlins. He's Arods nephew. He's dominated since he's been in the pros. Potential plus power at ss. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wily mo said:

It's the worst. I'm at 400 deep in my league and often wish it was doubled ?

Someone needs to make a thread for Micker Adolfo, just sayin'.

Luis Alexander Basabe too.

That Chris Sale trade was a gold mine for the White Sox.

Edited by Dirtywater97

https://razzball.com/minor-league-update-hello-soto-goodbye-sorrow/

Two recently highlighted guys in this thread made Razballs weekly collumn. Literally everyone besides these two guys were owned in my league a week ago.

-Speaking of the New Hampshire. the emerging CAVAN BIGGIO. Unfortunately he had a tough night at the dish, going 0-for-4, with 2 Ks. He’s been playing second just like pops, and has found another gear this season, hitting not only for a far higher average, but also a ton more power. From what I’ve seen in about a half dozen looks in person and on screen, is a player with an elite pitch recognition skill. He lays off bad breaking balls, and shows the ability to process a pitcher’s arsenal in-at-bat, and make adjustments. Of course I have a gif to show you all of this.

• Looks like the Marlins JOE DUNAND is making the jump from “A-Rod’s cousin” to legit prospect. So far he’s slashing .324/.398/.541 for Jupiter of the Florida State League with a Bb% of 11.4%, and a K% of 14.8% good enough for a wRC+ of 156. He homered on Wednesday night and has hits in 5 of his last 6. He’s played all of his games at short so far, but has the ability to play a solid third base, not too far off from his uncle. He came into his own his final year at NC State, and was a somewhat divisive prospect on draft day. Thus far, he’s looking like a steal for the Marlins at 51st overall.
Edited by brockpapersizer

Two OFers from the Padres system have really caught my eye recently! @Dirtywater97 mentioned them earlier in the thread when talking about all the Padres prospects of interest, but I felt like these two guys needed more info shared on them as they are both young for the level and performing very well.

Tirso Ornelas is an 18-year-old OFer from that is currently the 2nd youngest player in the Midwest League (A), and he’s currently slashing .286/.362/.393 with 2 HRs and 3 SBs so far in 94 PAs. That line is supported by a 10.6% walk rate and a 20.2% strikeout rate which are both very solid and overall the line has been worth a 116 wRC+. What has me intrigued is that his swinging strike rate is currently at a well above-average 6.7% (MLB average last year was 10.5%) and that is a sign of a potential 55-60 grade hit tool! Add in plus raw power on his scouting grades (Fangraphs has 55 current/60 future raw power) and future projection left in his 6 foot 3 frame, and you have the look of a plus hit/plus power hitter and that’s always valuable! He currently uses the whole field really well (35.4% Pull, 26.2% Cent, 38.5% Oppo), and that helps him sustain an above-average BAPIP and therefore batting average. If he wants to hit for more power in the future, becoming more pull conscience would help. I should also mention that Ornelas was a higher profile international amateur signing back in 2016, signing for $1.5 Million out of Mexico where he played for the same team that fellow high-end prospect Luis Urias was signed from so he has some pedigree too. Certainly intrigued by Ornelas, and think he perhaps isn’t getting a lot of coverage in a deep Padres system.

Jeisson Rosario (OF) is the other name that has caught my eye recently, and he’s slightly different than Ornelas in that Rosario trades some power for speed. Rosario’s scouting grades on Fangraphs read: 60 Hit, 50 future game, and raw power, and 55 speed, that’s a pretty interesting mix of skills for us fantasy players. Rosario is showing off those plus contact skills so far by hitting .319/.484/.406 so far in the Midwest League with 1 HR and 8 SBs. That line is supported by a crazy 23.1% walk rate and a very strong 16.5% strikeout rate, and overall he’s been worth a 164 wRC+ so far. Pretty impressive for a guy that is the 4th youngest player in the league as an 18-year-old! His swinging strike rate is above-average at 9.2% and he’s yet to be caught stealing so far on the bases. Similar to Ornelas, Rosario uses a strong opposite field approach (35.2% Pull, 25.9% Cent, 28.9% Oppo) to drive a higher BAPIP, which in addition to his speed and contact skills, makes him a candidate to post a very high batting average. The crazy high walk rate is also super intriguing, as it shows he has a great eye and his bat to ball skills allow him to take advantage of mistake pitches that are derived from working late counts. Also a guy with a pedigree as a higher profile 2016 international amateur signings.

• Like 7

@wily mo I really enjoyed your post last week about guys you've dropped and picked up. Would love if you continued it with the short sentences. I'd also recommend highlighting guys you've recently picked up and are even more bullish on since you've acquired them.

I'm not sure of Biggio's  upside but that was certainly a helpful post for a few of us.

Sam McWilliams. He was a player to be named later in the Souza trade.

6'7 190 22 year old in A+

11.22K/9 2.10BB/9 2.10ERA 2.6FIP 2.91xFIP 

3rd in the MILB w/ 19.8 swstr% 

2 potential plus pitches.

Another

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Sam McWilliams. He was a player to be named later in the Souza trade.

6'7 190 22 year old in A+

11.22K/9 2.10BB/9 2.10ERA 2.6FIP 2.91xFIP 

3rd in the MILB w/ 19.8 swstr% 

2 potential plus pitches.

Another

Yes...the Yankees truly have a wealth of pitching prospects. Jonathan Loaisiga and Trevor Stephan are 2 that I really really like that don't get as much love as Medina, Freicer, Sauer and Schmidt.

Stephan last night pitched a gem, again. But Loaisiga has the better stuff especially a really good fastball that he commands very very well along with a curveball that's consistently plus this year. His changeup is still iffy at times but he has really good arm action and it already has some nice fade to it, he just doesn't throw it much since he can rely on 2 pitches in HIA. And on top of that he's got good control that seems to be getting better and better.

Good call on him DirtyWater

Edited by JakeSarna
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

@wily mo I really enjoyed your post last week about guys you've dropped and picked up. Would love if you continued it with the short sentences. I'd also recommend highlighting guys you've recently picked up and are even more bullish on since you've acquired them.

I'm not sure of Biggio's  upside but that was certainly a helpful post for a few of us.

yeah i plan to do this. including, like you say, a section on guys that have graudated from "speculative pickup that i'm probably gonna drop again the next time i see something shiny" to "clutch this prospect to my heart forever" status

some of this week's notes:

i forgot to mention in last week's post that i also picked up:

* brett nicholas, C/1B SDP (AAA). old as heck but i've liked him for years as a hitter, if he ever gets a shot to play. but it's not encouraging though that hedges went on the DL and the padres called up raffy lopez instead of nicholas. probably just a 40-man roster based decision but still. but i'm holding nicholas for now anyway, just because he's a catcher and his slugging percentage is over .700

this week's add/drops:

less of them. feel like my roster is getting really tight - there's a lot of guys out there i want but very few i want to drop

and half of what i did do this week was relief pitchers, which is probably less relevant to this thread. picked up justin anderson, who might be the angels' closer already? maybe? they're probably talking about him over on the closer thread, i haven't looked yet. i grabbed him like 3 days ago when i saw that he throws 98 and had 2 holds already

i also picked up ariel hernandez, who i'm just permanently a sucker for, after i saw that he's not walking many guys so far this year. also he got traded to the dodgers and i'm a dodger fan

the only non-reliever i grabbed this week was: 

* jazz (jasrado) chisholm, SS ARI low-A - 20 years old, hitting a lot. was on the DL for a minute so he's not showing up on some of the qualified leaderboards for A-ball hitters, but when he does pop in he'll be near the top, and he's a shortstop

guys i've dropped:

* gilbert lara - not really hitting a lot

* tony santillan - like jose suarez, still like him a lot but there are so many pitchers

* rosell herrera - might regret this one but the fact that the reds have called him up to the majors but then aren't giving him much playing time seems like a bad sign as far as how they probably view him as a future utility guy / bench player rather than a real prospect. i still think they might be wrong and he might be pretty good if he gets a real shot, but who knows if or when he will, so there are probably better bets with my limited slots

* picked up duane underwood jr after another good start and then dropped him after another bad one, just like i always do

guys who are more or less locked in on my roster at this point, to where i'd hold them even through a month-long cold streak if they were to have one:

* cavan biggio

* calvin mitchell

* josh james

* tyler stephenson

seby zavala is almost there but his K rate is still 30% which is a little disturbing. i like buddy reed a heck of a lot but i still have to admit if he stopped hitting for an extended period i'd probably start to doubt whether his adjustments really have staying power

jose adolis garcia has been slumping so that's not great

that's the news

Edited by wily mo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I'm not a huge fan, even in dynasty leagues, of gambling on closer prospects, but Dillon Maples is one of very few who always has some clip or some stat attached to him where just hearing/seeing it makes me laugh. Following tonight's 1IP 3K performance, Maples has struck out 19 batters in 8 1/3IP at AAA Iowa of the PCL. His "stuff" is just otherworldly a plus fastball that hits 99 and what may be one of the best sliders in baseball. The problem? A   BB/9 usually sitting in the 6 and 7s. With that said, should Maples ever get that BB/9 down to something reasonable, even something like 4, he has the potential to be a true lock down closer.

Maples From Last Year

• Like 3

On 5/2/2018 at 5:01 PM, wily mo said:

yeah i plan to do this. including, like you say, a section on guys that have graudated from "speculative pickup that i'm probably gonna drop again the next time i see something shiny" to "clutch this prospect to my heart forever" status

some of this week's notes:

i forgot to mention in last week's post that i also picked up:

* brett nicholas, C/1B SDP (AAA). old as heck but i've liked him for years as a hitter, if he ever gets a shot to play. but it's not encouraging though that hedges went on the DL and the padres called up raffy lopez instead of nicholas. probably just a 40-man roster based decision but still. but i'm holding nicholas for now anyway, just because he's a catcher and his slugging percentage is over .700

this week's add/drops:

less of them. feel like my roster is getting really tight - there's a lot of guys out there i want but very few i want to drop

and half of what i did do this week was relief pitchers, which is probably less relevant to this thread. picked up justin anderson, who might be the angels' closer already? maybe? they're probably talking about him over on the closer thread, i haven't looked yet. i grabbed him like 3 days ago when i saw that he throws 98 and had 2 holds already

i also picked up ariel hernandez, who i'm just permanently a sucker for, after i saw that he's not walking many guys so far this year. also he got traded to the dodgers and i'm a dodger fan

the only non-reliever i grabbed this week was: 

* jazz (jasrado) chisholm, SS ARI low-A - 20 years old, hitting a lot. was on the DL for a minute so he's not showing up on some of the qualified leaderboards for A-ball hitters, but when he does pop in he'll be near the top, and he's a shortstop

guys i've dropped:

* gilbert lara - not really hitting a lot

* tony santillan - like jose suarez, still like him a lot but there are so many pitchers

* rosell herrera - might regret this one but the fact that the reds have called him up to the majors but then aren't giving him much playing time seems like a bad sign as far as how they probably view him as a future utility guy / bench player rather than a real prospect. i still think they might be wrong and he might be pretty good if he gets a real shot, but who knows if or when he will, so there are probably better bets with my limited slots

* picked up duane underwood jr after another good start and then dropped him after another bad one, just like i always do

guys who are more or less locked in on my roster at this point, to where i'd hold them even through a month-long cold streak if they were to have one:

* cavan biggio

* calvin mitchell

* josh james

* tyler stephenson

seby zavala is almost there but his K rate is still 30% which is a little disturbing. i like buddy reed a heck of a lot but i still have to admit if he stopped hitting for an extended period i'd probably start to doubt whether his adjustments really have staying power

jose adolis garcia has been slumping so that's not great

that's the news

I've owned Jazz since last year.   Really intriguing det of tools. 

Biggio - I expect him to start getting a lot of buzz.

Got anything else on Mitchell? 

A note on Rosario mentioned above.  He's highly competitive and a good enough athlete that he likes to do random standing back flips.

i was kidding around on the lazaro alonso thread about how thomas jones had a 150% HR/FB ratio, but jones is 2/2 with another homer and a walk tonight... that's four homers in three games. not sure why he wasn't playing before this, but, he's getting kinda interesting already

from what i've googled up jones is one of those guys who's a big athlete (D1 football recruit as a saftey) but a little raw at baseball. for example, he hit .181 with two homers in almost 300 PA last year in short-season. but he already has four homers in three games this year in low-A, soooo maybe he's figured something out

he already got a rotoworld frontpage blurb this morning, which annoyed me, i don't want him getting pub yet. but there it is

(alonso is a 23-year-old cuban, see his thread for more about him)

Edited by wily mo
  • Like 3

doubt this guy has been mentioned

22 yr old went 25-103 in AA last year after some mechanical changes, big boy at 6'5 240, has a cannon and is not bad defensively, and is absolutely destroying baseballs in AAA this year

Franmil Reyes, has hit 7 homers in the last 4 games and is now hitting .327/.411/.720/1.131 on the season, hes an OF with the Padres organization

how is this for hot though

last 5 games

13-18! (.722, 1.944slg, 2.666 OPS ) 7 hrs 1 2b, 11rbi, 10 runs scored 

Edited by Golden Spikes
  • Like 3

No thread on him but I finally put eyes on him tonight because I hve never actually seen him swing-TB 1B Nathaniel Lowe [Josh Lowes brother]-he has a great swing that I read he was able to shorten it up this year and its helped him hit breaking balls-his upside might not be as high as his brothers but Nathaniel is starting to look like the real deal

Edited by My Roy Williams Tramp Stam
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dennis Santana pitcher Dodgers.

Dominating AA so far …

34 IP

22 hits

48 K

10 BB

2.12 ERA

0.94 whip

Fangraphs just did their Dodger prospect list & gave him a FV 45which seems low to me. He seems like a guy to make room for in deep dynasty leagues.

Kevin Smith SS TOR

21 year old currently slashing 370/717/639. Only striking out 13.6%.

Apparently has it to stay at SS

. Walter Weatherman (The O.C.):

• Kevin Smith is crushing the ball in Lansing and the strikeouts are considerably down. Should Toronto fans get a bit excited that he's potentially figured something out? I know that he was a potential 1st round pick after his Cape Cod performance before imploding in his JR season at Maryland.

Ben Badler: It’s a very good sign. It’s still only a month, and it’s a college player in Low-A, but it’s a a lot of very encouraging signals early on.