txrngr34

2018 "Deep" Sleepers

Anyone know anything about David Hess? Was mentioned in a couple of places in the last few days including BA:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/david-hess-dj-stewart-provide-glimpse-of-hope-for-orioles/

David Hess took a no-hitter into the seventh inning and DJ Stewart hit a grand slam to lead Triple-A Norfolk to a 13-0 win over Durham (Rays) in an afternoon matinee.

Hess, the Orioles No. 15 prospect, finished with seven scoreless innings of one-hit ball with one walk and 10 strikeouts. Stewart, No. 16 prospect, went 2-for-3 with a single, two walks, two stolen bases and his ninth-inning grand slam.

Hess, a fifth-round pick from Tennessee Tech in 2014, in particular is showing he may be ready to help an Orioles rotation with a 5.32 ERA. The 24-year-old righthander improved to 2-0, 2.12 and has allowed one earned run or less in five of his six starts.

1 hour ago, 12to6 said:

Anyone know anything about David Hess? Was mentioned in a couple of places in the last few days including BA:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/david-hess-dj-stewart-provide-glimpse-of-hope-for-orioles/

Interesting tout but I don't trust the Orioles even a little bit when it comes to developing pitchers. Still on my radar though now, thanks.

1 hour ago, 12to6 said:

I saw Hess pitch some in Frederick in 2015 in the Carolina league.  He was good in Frederick, but not dominate.  More of a crafty guy than a hard thrower.  Struggled in AA in 2016 and was much better last year.  The Orioles are a bad team, in a hitters park and a tough division.  However, Hess is likely to get an opportunity sooner rather than later.

Another guy that has been very successful in AAA and should get a chance soon is Enyel de los Santos. He came to the Phillies from the Padres in the Freddy Galvis trade.  He was ok in AA last year but despite throwing hard did not strikeout many batters.  de los Santos threw seven innings of one hit ball tonight and has stuck out 39 batters in 32 innings with a 0.84 era in the international league.   

Edited by Lonny Baxter
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2018 at 7:31 PM, JenksDodger said:

Anybody on Freddy Tarnok, P ATL? 

Definitely a deeper league guy, but was a 3rd round pick for the Braves last year out of high school and they have him in LoA ball. Not sure what their plan with him is, he's thrown 2IP twice and an inning once. I highly doubt they are going to develop him as a RP, and are just building up his strength. He's a guy that didn't pitch until late in his high school career, so he has low mileage on his arm. 

A little blurb from Pipeline 

Just saw this video of him:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2018 at 10:05 PM, My Roy Williams Tramp Stam said:

No thread on him but I finally put eyes on him tonight because I hve never actually seen him swing-TB 1B Nathaniel Lowe [Josh Lowes brother]-he has a great swing that I read he was able to shorten it up this year and its helped him hit breaking balls-his upside might not be as high as his brothers but Nathaniel is starting to look like the real deal

Hit another HR tonight. 8th of the year

5 hours ago, Lonny Baxter said:

I saw Hess pitch some in Frederick in 2015 in the Carolina league.  He was good in Frederick, but not dominate.  More of a crafty guy than a hard thrower.  Struggled in AA in 2016 and was much better last year.  The Orioles are a bad team, in a hitters park and a tough division.  However, Hess is likely to get an opportunity sooner rather than later.

Another guy that has been very successful in AAA and should get a chance soon is Enyel de los Santos. He came to the Phillies from the Padres in the Freddy Galvis trade.  He was ok in AA last year but despite throwing hard did not strikeout many batters.  de los Santos threw seven innings of one hit ball tonight and has stuck out 39 batters in 32 innings with a 0.84 era in the international league.   

I think it was a fangraphs writer — One of the early criticisms of Santos was his extension being poor and causing his otherwise very good stuff to “play down” resulting in fewer Ks.

His Ks are way up this year. Wonder if he’s made any mechanical changes. Santos is a terrific flier to stash IMO.

• Like 1

Couple of post-hype international prospects I’m looking at.

Gilbert Lara. He’s not tearing the cover off the ball or anything, but he was majorly hyped as a tooled up international SS a couple years ago. Fell on his face and was horrible. His wrc+ was 38 last year in A ball. Now it is 104 and he’s batting .286.

Also giving Lazaro Armenteros a look. His stock lost a lot of shine but he wasn’t bad in Rookie ball last year and he’s only just started A ball now. Another formerly major hype international piece that is receiving little fanfare now.

• Thanks 1

Hess doesn't seem that interesting to me. Babip is low, lob is high. Walks a decent amount of guys 3.64.  Just number scouting obviously. He's going to be in the AL east?  I'm not going to use  a valuable spot to stash that, and I'm in a pretty deep points league. 

A pitcher that's on my radar for this year is Zac Gallen. He has four pitches, on the marlins. He logged 140 ip last year at three levels and had a sub 4 era each time. He isn't an ace, mid rotation is probably his upside but he's ready soon and it's a good landing spot, outside of wins. He came over in the Ozuna deal.

4 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Couple of post-hype international prospects I’m looking at.

Gilbert Lara. He’s not tearing the cover off the ball or anything, but he was majorly hyped as a tooled up international SS a couple years ago. Fell on his face and was horrible. His wrc+ was 38 last year in A ball. Now it is 104 and he’s batting .286.

Also giving Lazaro Armenteros a look. His stock lost a lot of shine but he wasn’t bad in Rookie ball last year and he’s only just started A ball now. Another formerly major hype international piece that is receiving little fanfare now.

Lazaro Armenteros is special and hes gonna be great.

Iazarito can be a good player, but if people are holding on to Bryce Harper expectations, he's going to drastically disappoint

Hey you prospect mavens, any info on Ramon Urias, 2B Cards?  Looks like he was a Rangers signee that then played in the Mexican League and did well (.340 avg with double digits in HRs and SBs). Albeit only 10 games in, he's tearing up the ball at AA Springfield.  Still only 23 (turning 24 in June), I'm curious if anyone has anything on him?

Edited by BigPapi44
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2018 at 7:23 AM, garlando said:

Another name for you guys is Ramon Urias of the Cardinals organization. He’s a 23-year-old 2B prospect that is the brother of the Padres high-end prospect Luis Urias. What makes him interesting? He’s done what lots of other recent breakout players have done recently…and bought into the flyball revolution. He broke out last year in the Mexican League, cutting his GB rate from 57.3% in 2016 to 39.9% in 2017, and subsequently upped his FB rate from 18.2% in 2016 to 37.9% in 2017. Add in a more pull-conscious effort and the result was a true breakout year in which he slashed .340/.433/.577 with 19 HRs and 12 SBs with very solid 8.9% BB and 16.3% K rates. The result was a super impressive 164 wRC+ as a 2B with power and speed. Now you may question it because of the performance being done in the Mexican League, but it is considered a close equivalent to AAA ball in the US. He signed with the Cardinals this offseason because they obviously buy into his change, and they are starting him at AAA Memphis which tells me he isn’t too far away from a potential MLB chance. The Cardinals also seem to have a reputation for finding guys out of nowhere that performs…perhaps this guy is the next. I think he's worth monitoring and those in very deep leagues, he could be a worthwhile pickup for free! You can read more about  Ramon Urias and his swing change here:

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2018/3/25/17161034/system-sundays-scouting-ramon-urias 

@BigPapi44

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2018 at 10:13 AM, F@ndemonium said:

Keep an eye on '17 international signee CF Trent Deveaux.  Hailing from the Bahamas, he has yet to play in a professional game, but his blistering 80 grade speed is eye catching.  He also boasts an advanced plate approach, considering his age (18), with reports suggesting 20+ HR upside.  He's lanky in stature, but should grow into his 6'3 frame moving forward.  If he hits, he could move quickly through the Angels system.  

Certainly worth a flier now before he is more recognizable on the stateside scene. 

Longenhagen spoke highly of him today in his chat: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/eric-longenhagen-kiley-mcdaniel-chat-5-10-18/

Paul: What have you heard about Trent Deveaux in extended spring training?

Eric A Longenhagen: Seen him a bunch and think he’s a stud. Plus run, good in CF, body still has room and the feel to hit is coming.

On Nate Lowe: 

Dwight Schroot: Nathaniel Lowe, Josh Lowe‘s older brother, is destroying everything.  How legitimate is he?  I’ve heard him called the Rays best hitter behind Bauers, prospect wise.

Kiley McDaniel: Plus power from the left side, 1B only, decent feel to hit and hitting right now. More extra guy/platoon type unless he really starts mashing for another year

On Robinson:

Bored Employee: Eric, Kiley mentioned that you’d seen Kristian Robinson in person. Has he shown any skill development/aptitude for making adjustments, or does he remain “sushi-raw”?

Eric A Longenhagen: He’s 17 so he’s raw but he’s much better than he was in limited looks last fall and way more advanced than all the Bahamians have been before he and Deveaux arrived.

Tarnok:

GRUMPY TURNER: Any early reports on Freddy Tarnok? Numbers looking pretty good…

Kiley McDaniel: Heard he’s been throwing well, up to 97, which is back to the amateur stuff he got drafted off of

• Like 1

May very well turn out to be absolutely nothing, but 21 year old Telmito Agustin came up on my radar.

http://www.nationalsarmrace.com/?p=14760

• Telmito Agustin: he’s hitting 180 points higher in Potomac this year versus last and Law took note.   Says he thinks Agustin’s adjustments and power will stick and we may have found gold for a prospect who signed for practically nothing and who barely registers on anyone’s prospect lists for the organization.

Law talked about him in a recent article (behind paywall). Says he put on weight and strength from a year ago. 

• Like 1

Who are the best young international (not Asian) guys that are shinning the best?

On 5/9/2018 at 9:31 PM, fawkes_mulder said:

Interesting tout but I don't trust the Orioles even a little bit when it comes to developing pitchers. Still on my radar though now, thanks.

Just called up. Will start today. 

Sickels did a profile today: https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018/5/12/17348024/mlb-rookie-profile-david-hess-rhp-baltimore-orioles

Ryan McKenna is an athletic  21 year old centerfielder at High A in the Carolina League for the Frederick Keys in the Orioles organization.  He was drafted in the 4th round out of high school in New Hampshire.  Not exactly a prospect hot spot.  McKenna is a good defensive outfielder with good speed.  He is not the biggest guy and the power is still developing.  In 2017 at full season A with Delmarva, McKenna was much better in the second half of the season and he has carried it over this year.  Currently hitting 329/ 422/904.  TBD determined whether he is a regular or a 4th outfielder, but he is someone to keep an eye in deeper dynasty leagues. 

• Like 1

Man, someone (allegedly) named Debby Santana has a thread but nothing for Dennis Santana! Anyways he's headed to AAA after a great stint in AA and some on twitter (BA guy) claims he's the top arm in the LAD system now that Buehler looks like he's up for good.

• Like 2

Unsure if either of these two guys have been mentioned yet:

Eshleman over at 2080 has been talking up Luis Patino of the SD Padres. 18 year old RHP. Made his debut with Fort Wayne recently.

This one was from earlier this month while in extended: 

This was a question the other day someone asked him on twitter: 

Also mentioned a SD C to keep an eye on: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anyone have anything on Jeff McNeil, 2B Mets?  He's 26 (as of April) so old for the league, but he hit his 11th HR tonight to go along with a .333 AVG/.416 OBP.

1 hour ago, BigPapi44 said:

Anyone have anything on Jeff McNeil, 2B Mets?  He's 26 (as of April) so old for the league, but he hit his 11th HR tonight to go along with a .333 AVG/.416 OBP.

What I can gather: 

-Drafted in the 12th round back in 2013 out of Long Beach State. Two sport guy with baseball and golf (not sure he played college golf, but is a talented golfer).

-2014 and 2015, was mostly a low power, average and steals dude. Showed ability to play many different positions as he was exposed to a number of different positions. 

-2016 rolls around. Barely active as he only played in 3 games. Had a double sports hernia in May 2016 and MRI showed tear in his hip labrum

-2017 rolls around. Again plagued by injuries. Sustained a groin injury after hitting a HR. Missed a lot of time.

-2018 rolls around. Turned 26 in early April. Finally healthy after only playing in a combined 51 games in 2016 and 2017. Has mostly played 2nd and 3rd this year. This from early May: 

A few years ago, we heard that Jeff McNeil had bulked up and added about 35 pounds to his 6’1” frame and had been focusing on developing his upper body. Thanks to a pair of sports hernias and a tear in his hip labrum, he played in only three games in 2016. He got on the field a bit more in 2017, but once again missed a considerable amount of time to injury, this time an apparent groin injury- sustained after hitting a home run, no less. It’s been twenty games so far, and he is not as bulked and jacked as he was a few years ago, but the gains that McNeil made a few years seem to be legitimate, and that he has shored up the biggest weakness in his baseball profile.

Hitting is something that McNeil has never had a problem with. His swing is smooth and direct to the ball, resulting in line drives with a bit of pull-side power. He has always showed the ability to make contact with the ball, laying off of pitches out of the zone and fouling off tough pitches to continue at-bats until he can get something to drive. He is not the most patient of hitters, as he doesn’t walk at a particularly high rate, but he has a keen awareness of the strike zone.

When it comes to defense, McNeil profiles best at second or third base, as his arm is just average, but thanks to his athleticism, he has enough range and quick enough reaction times to play shortstop in short stints.

Another article I found: http://metsminors.net/who-to-watch-for-utility-prospect-jeff-mcneil/

He's 26 in AA, so obviously old for the competition as you said. That's all I got though.

• Thanks 3

Thanks NYRFan.  Great info. Will see if the Mets give him a cup of coffee.

• Like 1

Dennis Santana just went 6IP, 3H, 0ER, 0BB, 11Ks in his AAA debut. With Rich Hill out again maybe he’s got a shot at starting soon. 

• Like 1