txrngr34

2018 "Deep" Sleepers

13 minutes ago, 12to6 said:

Dennis Santana just went 6IP, 3H, 0ER, 0BB, 11Ks in his AAA debut. With Rich Hill out again maybe he’s got a shot at starting soon. 

He should probably have his own thread at this point. Hl'll make some major league starts this year I think.

2 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

He should probably have his own thread at this point. Hl'll make some major league starts this year I think.

Agreed. Didn’t want to start one because I’m on mobile and it’s a pain, plus I don’t know that much about his stuff and projection.

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎10 at 8:40 PM, BigPapi44 said:

Hey you prospect mavens, any info on Ramon Urias, 2B Cards?  Looks like he was a Rangers signee that then played in the Mexican League and did well (.340 avg with double digits in HRs and SBs). Albeit only 10 games in, he's tearing up the ball at AA Springfield.  Still only 23 (turning 24 in June), I'm curious if anyone has anything on him?

Up in AAA now.  Has had a bit of a rough start, but hit his first HR there last night.

Anyone have any insight into Yanks SP, Erik Swanson, 24 year old (*25 in September)?  He's listed as a 6'3 235lb righty.  Through 40.2 IP at AA Trenton, he is 5-0 and has a glowing 0.44 ERA, 52 Ks, 0.81 WHIP.

22 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Anyone have any insight into Yanks SP, Erik Swanson, 24 year old (*25 in September)?  He's listed as a 6'3 235lb righty.  Through 40.2 IP at AA Trenton, he is 5-0 and has a glowing 0.44 ERA, 52 Ks, 0.81 WHIP.

Thought I would share this interesting write-up:  http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2018/04/introducing_yankees_pitching_prospect_you_dont_kno.html

29 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

It's funny you should ask. @garlando put me on to him a few weeks ago and I made the plunge and picked him up last week. There's a non zero chance he starts games this year for the Yankees, but not too likely. He's flat out dominated so far. Yankees prospect generally garner hype and they are often called the best at currently developing pitching. At the very least I think he's an asset worth owning in deep minors leagues. There's a good write up of him in this article.

http://www.pitcherlist.com/prospect-rundown-week-6/

• Like 2

On 5/10/2018 at 8:40 PM, BigPapi44 said:

Hey you prospect mavens, any info on Ramon Urias, 2B Cards?  Looks like he was a Rangers signee that then played in the Mexican League and did well (.340 avg with double digits in HRs and SBs). Albeit only 10 games in, he's tearing up the ball at AA Springfield.  Still only 23 (turning 24 in June), I'm curious if anyone has anything on him?

Urias was promoted to AAA and had a homer in his first game.  It would be kind of funny if he got called up before his brother. 

5 minutes ago, Lonny Baxter said:

Urias was promoted to AAA and had a homer in his first game.  It would be kind of funny if he got called up before his brother. 

Posted above, but I had thought he had been up for the past week looking at his AAA stats.  Looks like they started him off at AAA Memphis, then sent him down to AA Springfield where he dominated, and have re-called him to AAA.  Yes, he did hit his first AAA HR last night, first game of the recall.  With DeJong out and Wong struggling, I wonder if they may be aggressive with him and see what he can do in the bigs.

• Like 1

Jeter Downs, SS CIN

Supplemental first round pick last year out of high school, has more than held his own in his first taste of full season ball to start the year.

.279 with 5 HR and 14 SB so far, and while those numbers aren’t setting the world ablaze, they’re definitely something to keep an eye on.  Everything I read leading up to the year showed that scouts believe he possesses an above average hit tool with at least average power.  And if he’s going to steal bases....well, you’ve got something really nice as a SS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MrMartyBarrett said:

Jeter Downs, SS CIN

Supplemental first round pick last year out of high school, has more than held his own in his first taste of full season ball to start the year.

.279 with 5 HR and 14 SB so far, and while those numbers aren’t setting the world ablaze, they’re definitely something to keep an eye on.  Everything I read leading up to the year showed that scouts believe he possesses an above average hit tool with at least average power.  And if he’s going to steal bases....well, you’ve got something really nice as a SS

He has looked really good, but I think the concerns are that he won`t stick at SS.  That would put a lot more pressure on the bat.

On 4/26/2018 at 2:48 PM, F@ndemonium said:

A few other names, not previously mentioned here (at least I don't think), that are improving their stock are: 

Caleb Ferguson, SP LAD AA: Armed with one of the best curve balls in the Cal League, Ferguson has picked up where he left a year ago with 4 consecutive dominant performances for Tulsa

Austin Voth, SP Wsh AAA: Following an atrocious season a year ago, Voth has fared quite well through 4 starts, including a drastic increase in his k/9.  There's no stand-out tool, however he leverages his height well, & with AJ Cole out of the way, he could be next man up in Washington if his current level of success continues. 

Sean Murphy, C Oak AA: An improving hit tool, plus power and above average defense behind the plate, should soon make his name popular in prospect circles.

Kodi Medeiros, SP Mlw AA: Still walking way too many batters, but its at least slightly encouraging that the former first rounder has only given up 3 runs (9 hits) through 4 AA starts 

Travis MacGregor, SP Pit A: I've talked him up in prior posts/threads, so I need not say more :P

Geroge Valera, CF Cle: Better in the field than anticipated; arguably top hitter in the '17 J2 class.  Worth a stash in leagues that boast deeper minor league roster spots. 

Knew someone mentioned Valera. 

Nice tout. 

Also, keep an eye on Everson Pereira. OF that NYY signed J2 of last year. Badler said in his chat today that he's starting to show some power in game action in extended. Ranked #5 among international prospects last year by MLB.com

1 minute ago, I like baseball said:

Anyone else not see the similarities besides them both being left handed??

No kidding, it's a man versus a boy.  Besides that their stance is completely different.  Not been overly impressed with BA over the past couple years.  

After load their swings are near identical, but you're both correct that up until that point there are some very drastic differences. What they're doing with their front foot, with their hands is all difference until the load finishes then the swing itself is extremely similar.

• Like 1

For a micro second at the point of contact where their weight is being redistributed, it looks similar.  I’m willing to bet if we made that comp to a hundred different players, the majority would then have a Juan Soto similarity.   It’s a stretch and I think they’re just trying really hard to be the first to find the next big thing.

When I first saw Velera’s swing, I initial thought was of Isan Diaz.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

After load their swings are near identical, but you're both correct that up until that point there are some very drastic differences. What they're doing with their front foot, with their hands is all difference until the load finishes then the swing itself is extremely similar.

Correct.

Soto is more spread out, Valera more upright.

Valera has a more vertical bat and bat tip.

Soto's swing plane is more level as his hands start from a lower position. 

Valera uses super thrust technique (back foot off the ground at contract).

I'm guessing that Valera isn't showing as good a hit tool at this point. 

Having said all of that,  that's a fantastic swing by Valera.  Great rhythm, load,  balance, and leverage through his swing.   

• Like 1

https://2080baseball.com/spotlight/george-valera/

Born in the United States, Valera relocated to the Dominican and was eligible to sign with Cleveland as a 16-year-old in 2017, signing for $1.3 million. The massive power he generates from a 5’10’’ frame has turned heads on the backfields in Goodyear, AZ—his hit and power combo is advanced for his age (won’t be 18 until November), and the bat stood out in both my Spring Training and Extended looks in March and May.

The carry tool is his current 60, future 70-grade raw power, putting on a show in BP with pullside bombs and flashes of all-fields power. To put the power in perspective, Valera is as old as most high school juniors, and he’s showing plus big league raw power right now—though it’s partially a byproduct of a mature frame that developed quickly and is close to filled out. Valera’s low hand set-up and launch angle help him get to the zone quickly, but against higher quality fastballs, he is likely to be challenged by fastballs elevated. Valera shows enthusing ability to ID secondary pitches for a teenager, but what is a bigger swing overall might always be vulnerable to swing-and-miss, even within the zone.

Though he plays centerfield right now, the body and toolset fit a right field profile long-term. He gets good routes and jumps in center but lacks the raw straight-line speed to stay there, though those defensive attribtes translate well to a corner, where Valera projects to be an above-average defender. He shows an above-average arm that is plenty for the position. There’s risk in the profile given his age and whiff potential, but the power is special and there are signs of feel to hit. I think he can get to the power enough such that he reaches his ceiling, a first-division regular with prototypical right field tools.

• Like 3

This was Ralph @ Razzball's take on Valera. Written in Dec 2017

One of the top bats in the 2017 July 2nd class, Valera is an interesting story as he grew up in New York City, but moved to the Dominican Republic. A short, compact, but powerful lefty swing, Valera gets comped to Juan Soto frequently, earning him a high rank on this list sight unseen. We could be talking about THE elite hitter of this international class, and one that ended up in an organization with a track record of developing young toolsy players into stars. ETA: 2021

Dom Thompson-Williams OF NYY

5th Rd pick in the '16 draft.  He's already been promoted to High A after 5HRs with a .378 AVG in 37 ABs for Charleston, and now just hit his 3rd HR in less than 20 ABs, giving him a whopping 8 HRs in less than 60ABs.  Absolutely mashing.  Know little about him, but hard to ignore.

• Like 1

Tyler Phillips, SP TEX 

Texas sent Phillips back to extended spring training after seven tumultuous, early-season appearances at Low-A in 2017. After a month in Arizona, he went up to Spokane (where he pitched in 2016) and dominated, striking out 78 and walking 11 in 73 innings. Phillips has 40 command (and it looked worse than that when I saw him in the fall), but he’s a huge, northeastern prep arm who has made only 17 starts in three pro seasons, so there are legitimate reasons he has yet to polish his usage of very enticing stuff.

Phillips sits 90-93 and will touch 95 with heavy sink. His changeup flashes plus surprisingly often, and Phillips’ curveball is average but flashes above, and most scouts have it projected there. There’s a potential mid-rotation arm in here somewhere if the control/command really come and enough stuff here to project him as an inefficient No. 4/5 or multi-inning relief piece if it doesn’t.

He's 5th in all of Minor League baseball with a 17.7% Swinging Strike rate.. The questions about his control/command? 5 walks in 44IP.. 

9.41 K/9 and a 1.02 BB/9.. He's a 20yr old in class A, but it seems like this dude has wicked stuff that the Rangers may have figured out how to start harnessing it. He has a 2.40 FIP.. I think he's pretty far off the radar, but in super deep leagues I think he's probably worth an add. 

Pitch grades: FB - 60, CB- 55, CH- 60.. so the potential is there! 

Edited by JenksDodger
  • Like 3

Luis Rengifo - SS LAA 

21 year old SS that was recently promoted to AA (first good sign - 21 at AA). 

Hit .323 with an .892 OPS in A+ with a 14.2% BB rate and a 11.6% K Rate.. Stole 22 bases in 41 games.

Doesn't seem like he's going to be star material, but it looks like he's got a great plate approach, some above average speed and a little bit of pop. This is definitely a guy I added in my 800+ prospect league. Maybe not a guy you add in shallow leagues and just follow, but any time I see a young guy like this with an above average plate approach I get excited. 

• Like 2

@garlando @brockpapersizer

Either of you guys have any info on Astros 3B, Randy Cesar?   He turned 23 in January already in AA and absolutely killing it.  Some developing power maybe, but the AVG and OBP tough to ignore.

2 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

@garlando @brockpapersizer

Either of you guys have any info on Astros 3B, Randy Cesar?   He turned 23 in January already in AA and absolutely killing it.  Some developing power maybe, but the AVG and OBP tough to ignore.

.475 BABIP, only a 4.6% BB Rate and K Rate of 24%.. most likely Org depth, very few make it with that kind of BB Rate.

Edited by JenksDodger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another Oriole, I know, I know, but what about Keegan Akin?

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/keegan-akin-fans-10-over-seven-shutout-innings-for-bowie-baysox/c-278625604

The Orioles' seventh-ranked prospect allowed two hits and struck out 10 over seven innings as Double-A Bowie blanked Binghamton, 7-0, on Sunday night at NYSEG Stadium. Akin (5-4) walked one and lowered his ERA to 2.97 en route to his fifth win in seven decisions. His second double-digit strikeout game of the season stands as the most by a Baysox hurler since Mike Ballard recorded three in 2011.

Selected in the second round of the 2016 Draft out of Western Michigan, the southpaw debuted with a 1.04 ERA in nine starts for Class A Short Season Aberdeen. He bypassed Class A Delmarva and started 21 times in 2017 for Class A Advanced Frederick, where he was 7-8 with a 4.14 ERA and 111 strikeouts over 100 innings.

Akin leads the Eastern League with 63 punchouts over 57 2/3 innings and is holding opponents to a .211 average, including a .141 mark against lefties.

He's their number 7 prospect on MLB but Fangraphs has him at 19, with a 40 FV. Anyone have any concrete info? Has he gotten better this year?

• Like 1