txrngr34

2018 "Deep" Sleepers

11 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

@garlando @brockpapersizer

Either of you guys have any info on Astros 3B, Randy Cesar?   He turned 23 in January already in AA and absolutely killing it.  Some developing power maybe, but the AVG and OBP tough to ignore.

I have the same opinion as @JenksDodger on this one, there's a lot of factors that make his season to date look unsustainable going forward as a hitting prospect. First is the .475 BAPIP that's being propped up by a very high 27.9% line-drive rate. His strikeout and walk rates are both below-average, and that's supported by a below average 13.8% swinging-strike rate (MLB average this year is 10.6%). So the contact skills aren't very good, neither is his patience and then you add in his lack of power/speed and I'm not sure there's a lot of potential value in him fantasy wise. He's going to have to continue hitting lots to prove capable of making this sort of profile work, but at the moment I'm not very excited by him.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 12to6 said:

Another Oriole, I know, I know, but what about Keegan Akin?

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/keegan-akin-fans-10-over-seven-shutout-innings-for-bowie-baysox/c-278625604

He's their number 7 prospect on MLB but Fangraphs has him at 19, with a 40 FV. Anyone have any concrete info? Has he gotten better this year?

So, as luck would have it, he's on this week's BA Hot Sheet. Here's what they say about him:

9. Keegan Akin, LHP, Orioles
Team: Double-A Bowie (Eastern)
Why He’s Here: 1-0, 2.08, 13 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 17 SO, 4 BB, 1 HR

The Scoop: After a season derailed by injury and ineffectiveness, Akin appears to be back on track with Double-A. His 63 strikeouts lead the Eastern League, ahead of two pitchers who have already been promoted to Triple-A, and his 10-punchout performance against Binghamton this week is his second outing with double-digit Ks this year. That equals his total for his first two seasons. His fastball sits in the low-90s and is paired with a slider that flashes above-average and a fringy changeup. (JN)

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/prospect-hot-sheet-52818/

Weeding through these guys two seem to jumping out as potential next big names: Kristian Robinson and George Valera. 

Is there anyone like these guys that I am missing? Kinda of following the route of Devers, Robles, Soto, Vlad etc...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tucker26 said:

Weeding through these guys two seem to jumping out as potential next big names: Kristian Robinson and George Valera. 

Is there anyone like these guys that I am missing? Kinda of following the route of Devers, Robles, Soto, Vlad etc...

I would add Alexander Canario of the Giants organization to that list, I made a post on him earlier in this thread and made a thread on him here too. Nice combo of raw power and contact skills with speed, well-rounded guy with a very high upside! Another name is Lolo Sanchez who impressed me last year, but hasn't been as successful this year in the SAL league. He's still showing good contact skills (9.8% swinging-strike rate) and speed but isn't hitting for much power. He's recovering from a brutal start to the season and is now finding his game in May. Jonathan Arauz and Freudis Nova are also interesting from the Astros organization too as up the middle talents, Arauz being polished and performing really well in A-ball as a 19 year old and Nova being a high upside guy with massive tools earning comps to Hanley Ramirez.

Edited by garlando
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, tucker26 said:

Trent Deveaux who was mentioned a while back has the kind of upside of the players that you mentioned who is off the radar. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, garlando said:

I would add Alexander Canario of the Giants organization to that list, I made a post on him earlier in this thread and made a thread on him here too. Nice combo of raw power and contact skills with speed, well-rounded guy with a very high upside! Another name is Lolo Sanchez who impressed me last year, but hasn't been as successful this year in the SAL league. He's still showing good contact skills (9.8% swinging-strike rate) and speed but isn't hitting for much power. He's recovering from a brutal start to the season and is now finding his game in May. Jonathan Arauz and Freudis Nova are also interesting from the Astros organization too as up the middle talents, Arauz being polished and performing really well in A-ball as a 19 year old and Nova being a high upside guy with massive tools earning comps to Hanley Ramirez.

I'm rostering 

Canario

Robinson

Aruaz

Deveraux

Also Nelson Velazquez of Chicago.

Trying to trade for Valera.

Owned Sanchez but dropped him.   Keeping a very close eye on him. 

The Nats have a young SS who's name I'm blanking on but am following. 

And the Mariners have an OF (Julio Rodriguez?) that I'm tracking as well. 

St. Louis has a young 3b.

These young international players are where the greatest inefficiency in scouting is.   These guys are capable of monumental leaps in less than 6 months.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

These young international players are where the greatest inefficiency in scouting is.   These guys are capable of monumental leaps in less than 6 months.

Nats guy you probably keant luis Garcia or Antuna?

ronny Mauricio of the Mets is another under the radar international guy who could blow up or be nothing 

• Like 3

My "off the radar" prospects:

Yusei Kikuchi (Japan eta MLB 2019-2020)

Takahiro Norimoto (Japan eta MLB 2020)

Buddy Reed

Ryan Helsley

George Valera

Tirso Ornelas

Victor Victor Mesa

Enyel De Los Santos

Joe Dunand

Lazaro Armenteros

Caleb Ferguson

• Like 4

Buddy Reed with a .979 OPS and 9 HR / 23 SB right now in A+ for padres. Has 70+ speed and maybe average power though who knows with the balls nowadays. In a perfect world where he gets 600 PA in a major league season, seriously think he's a 15-30 or better kinda guy. Very toolsy, ability to hit is the big question as it always is, but he's hitting right now.

Edited by fawkes_mulder

1 hour ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Buddy Reed with a .979 OPS and 9 HR / 23 SB right now in A+ for padres. Has 70+ speed and maybe average power though who knows with the balls nowadays. In a perfect world where he gets 600 PA in a major league season, seriously think he's a 15-30 or better kinda guy. Very toolsy, ability to hit is the big question as it always is, but he's hitting right now.

You are right to be on him now.  But I do think his challenge comes next year at AA to see whether or not there is any 'real' power in the bat or if it's just aided by the CAL league, and whether or not advanced pitching exposes his tendency to swing at mostly everything (that has been the knock on him).  In High A, breaking balls that don't break get hit, but I think the quality of off-speed pitches and pitchers ability to locate gets better as you move up, so if he does not adjust he'll be exposed, imo.

7 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

You are right to be on him now.  But I do think his challenge comes next year at AA to see whether or not there is any 'real' power in the bat or if it's just aided by the CAL league, and whether or not advanced pitching exposes his tendency to swing at mostly everything (that has been the knock on him).  In High A, breaking balls that don't break get hit, but I think the quality of off-speed pitches and pitchers ability to locate gets better as you move up, so if he does not adjust he'll be exposed, imo.

more likely than not he's another michael gettys toolsy flame out, just like to shoot for upside. Agree w you on all counts.

edit: guess gettys isn't completely dead. Younger than I thought at 22. Another padres dude that is very similar...

Edited by fawkes_mulder

2 hours ago, 96mnc said:

I'm rostering 

Canario

Robinson

Aruaz

Deveraux

Also Nelson Velazquez of Chicago.

Trying to trade for Valera.

Owned Sanchez but dropped him.   Keeping a very close eye on him. 

Which Nationals SS? Luis Garcia or Yasel Antuna the two with the most hype!
And is the Cardinals 3B Elehuris Montero? He's caught my eye and I've seen a couple sources are high on his future potential.

2 hours ago, garlando said:

Which Nationals SS? Luis Garcia or Yasel Antuna the two with the most hype!
And is the Cardinals 3B Elehuris Montero? He's caught my eye and I've seen a couple sources are high on his future potential.

Antuna.

And yes on Montero.

• Like 1

Matt Swarmer(24) A+ SP CHC 

Sits in the low 90s but can touch 94, he has a plus change up and solid slider. He also features plus command which lets all of his stuff play up. He's putting up a 2.38ERA 1.84FIP 10.52K/9 1.19BB/9 line in A+ and that was before tonight's 6IP 2H 1ER 1BB 6K outing. Due to his age you'd expect him to get pushed quickly so I expect AA to be in his very near future.

• Thanks 1

I think it was earlier in this thread someone had mentioned Esteban Quiroz, 2B Red Sox.  Too bad he has been on the DL the last month, he started off really hot at AA, and with Pedroia now back on the DL could have possibly been the replacement for him.

What do you guys think of Marlins outfielder Austin Dean?  He was pretty unheralded coming into the year but he dominated AA for a month and got promoted to AAA where he's still doing pretty well.  Overall he's got a .358/.426/.553 line for the year with an 18/23 BB:K ratio.  With the Marlins outfield being wide open I had thought that Magneuris Sierra would be the obvious mid-season call-up but maybe this kid will get it instead?

41 minutes ago, overkill94 said:

What do you guys think of Marlins outfielder Austin Dean?  He was pretty unheralded coming into the year but he dominated AA for a month and got promoted to AAA where he's still doing pretty well.  Overall he's got a .358/.426/.553 line for the year with an 18/23 BB:K ratio.  With the Marlins outfield being wide open I had thought that Magneuris Sierra would be the obvious mid-season call-up but maybe this kid will get it instead?

Have always looked at Dean as a 4th OF'er type, but hard to argue he has been having some kind of year.  Agree, the plate discipline is very impressive too.  He should get a chance one would think at some point this year.

Don`t look now, the Braves may have another up and coming SP in Bruce Zimmerman.  After being taken in the 5th rd in the '17 draft, the Braves sent him to short season last year, 23 year old (turned in February) Zimmerman has strung together an impressive season so far at Low A.  He's a 6'2 200lb lefty.  So far in 63.2IP, he's got 84 Ks and only 15 walks, 2.12 ERA, 1.02 WHIP.   Obviously he's a little old for the league, would be nice to see him bumped up to see if there is something there.  Someone to keep an eye on in very deep leagues.

• Like 1

Rylan Bannon, 3B LAD - Disclaimer: He's 22 in HiA and is playing in the Cal League 

I'm not surprised they have him in HiA because the competition at Xavier isn't the best..  He's striking out a little more than I like, but he's also walking quite a bit too.. Now, he was an 8th rounder out of Xavier last year and is in the Rotowire Top 400 fantasy prospects... I believe he's top 200 on that list, if memory serves. He's hit 23 bombs in 93 games between last year and this year, showing a pretty dang good OBP% to boot. 29XBH through 53 games so far this year.. Have not seen any scouting reports, I'm purely posting this guy from finding him on the Rotowire Top 400 and liking his stat line. Keep him on your watch list. 

Edited by JenksDodger
  • Like 1

Has anyone mentioned Jonathan Hernandez? 21yrs old in HiA.. SwStr% of 17 and has struck out 9+ in in 5/6 starts and has double digit Ks in his last 3 starts.. Now this is a guy I'm running out to get if he's not owned in your league.. (Deeper leagues) Was in the futures game last year.. I'm super high on this kid. 

Edited by JenksDodger

3 minutes ago, JenksDodger said:

Has anyone mentioned Jonathan Hernandez? 21yrs old in HiA.. SwStr% of 17 and has struck out 9+ in in 5/6 starts and has double digit Ks in his last 3 starts.. Now this is a guy I'm running out to get if he's not owned in your league.. (Deeper leagues) Was in the futures game last year.. I'm super high on this kid. 

He's been mentioned and has a thread. He's very much the deep league pitcher pickup of the month if he's not already owned.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JenksDodger said:

He took an accelerated approach to graduating having his own thread already lol.  All aboard the hype train!!

I posted the below about him on that thread a few days back:

Always has had "ok" stuff, including a plus heater that can touch 99, but the improved command is much the reason for this years meteoric rise on the stat sheet.  The slider and change-up are still average, but have played up due to his improved execution, command and pitch sequencing.  

It will be interesting to see if he can sustain a similar level of success as he graduates to the minors higher levels.  Absolutely worth a speculative add at this point in lieu of the gaudy "K" numbers.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, F@ndemonium said:

He took an accelerated approach to graduating having his own thread already lol.  All aboard the hype train!!

I posted the below about him on that thread a few days back:

Always has had "ok" stuff, including a plus heater that can touch 99, but the improved command is much the reason for this years meteoric rise on the stat sheet.  The slider and change-up are still average, but have played up due to his improved execution, command and pitch sequencing.  

It will be interesting to see if he can sustain a similar level of success as he graduates to the minors higher levels.  Absolutely worth a speculative add at this point in lieu of the gaudy "K" numbers.  

I'm on! 

On 4/27/2018 at 5:22 PM, Tryptamine said:

Miguel Amaya C CHI, he's 19 in A ball currently putting up a .269/.367/.481 line good for a wRC+ of 140. What's so great about him? The plate discipline and power are both well above average for a catcher, which are notoriously slow to move to the majors. He's also a very good bet to stay at C as he has a fantastic arm and very quick feet.  I might be a year early on this,  but by the end of 2019 I think he'll find himself on a top 100 list or two.

Here we are just over a month later and Amaya has done nothing but get better. His season line stands at a robust .293/.371/..518 with 8Hrs. His downside was that despite success at earlier levels, Amaya was throwing people at a terrible rate this year. Well the Cubs brought in an instructor and in the following days he gunned out 9 of the next 13 runners. It's no stretch to say at this point in time that Miguel Amaya is the Cub's #1 prospect ahead of both Alzolay and Ademan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1