txrngr34

2018 "Deep" Sleepers

Luis Rengifo, SS, Angels

This 21 yr old SS was acquired by the Angels from the Rays in the CJ Cron trade this past offseason. Doesn't have a lot of power but has good speed and has shown an advanced feel for the strike zone this season in what has been a breakout year for him. He started in High-A and was recently promoted to Double-A

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=650859#/career/R/hitting/2018/ALL

Players this young who walk more than they strikeout will always catch my eye. He just hit a HR today, his 4th of the season(2nd in Double-A) to go along with 26 SB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Hello all you MiLB guru's. I want to thank all who contribute here, it truly is a vast wealth of knowledge!!

After hours and hours of scouring and reading through all these posts I am very confused now lol.

I need to sign 2 more players to my MiLB squad and I have no idea which two. I have a very young and talented MLB team and both my MLB/MiLB teams are pitcher heavy via trades. I prefer young arms with my young MLB bats.

We can have 10 prospects.... I have 8. I am in 2nd place, was 1st all season until last week so I want young prospects with highest amount of upside or potential of being top specs in 1-3 years. Players just drafted in first player draft this year are not eligible.

My 8 are....

Nick Kingham

Yairo Munoz

Mitch Keller

Chris Paddack

MacKenzie Gore

Jose Albertos

Brusdar Graterol

Shane Baz

I was thinking of adding Julio Pablo Martinez and Josh Naylor.

These are the other players on my list but I would like to get a couple bats since I only have arms now.

Joey Lucchesi

Griffin Canning

Jeter Downs

Wander Franco

Chris Rodriguez

Garrett Hampson

Akil Baddoo

Logan Allen

Matt Thaiss

Lolo Sanchez

Jairo Solis

Kristian Robinson

Jean Encarnacion

Ernesto Martinez Jr

Junior Fernandez

Jonathan Hernandez

Alvaro Seijas

George Valera

Miguel Amaya

Calvin Mitchell

Guys in bold are high on my list as well, no one in my dynasty scours specs as I do but you guys blow me away. My WHOLE MLB team is very through and talented by stockpiling good players and specs and trading so I am looking for best potential top specs no matter how far they sit on my MiLB squad.

What do you guys think of my choices for the two? Can anyone rank these players as top prospect potential in 1-3 years please. My oldest MLB guys are Gerrit Cole, Salvador Perez and Freddie Freeman so I have plenty of time IMO.

Thank you in advance....no rush just help or give insight please!!!

IRM80 - What are the categories for your league?  Without knowing that it's a little more difficult.  Based on your criteria though "I want young prospects with highest amount of upside or potential of being top specs in 1-3 years," and you only have 2 available slots, my two choices from the above are: Griffin Canning and George Valera.  Canning seems to be on the fast track to the majors, whereas you will need to be patient with Valera but he could be a stud.  Also on Valera he might be beyond 3 years if he is a level per year so if that is too long, I would sub Hampson for him.  I think he's also going to be up in the near future and would go nice with your young core.  Lots of guys there I like, so there's definitely an argument there as to which "2" fit your criteria the best. GL.  

37 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

IRM80 - What are the categories for your league?  Without knowing that it's a little more difficult.  Based on your criteria though "I want young prospects with highest amount of upside or potential of being top specs in 1-3 years," and you only have 2 available slots, my two choices from the above are: Griffin Canning and George Valera.  Canning seems to be on the fast track to the majors, whereas you will need to be patient with Valera but he could be a stud.  Also on Valera he might be beyond 3 years if he is a level per year so if that is too long, I would sub Hampson for him.  I think he's also going to be up in the near future and would go nice with your young core.  Lots of guys there I like, so there's definitely an argument there as to which "2" fit your criteria the best. GL.  

I dont really want anymore prospect pitchers but I do like Canning....all 8 of my specs are pitchers and I love them all.

Cats are 

R HR TB RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP   K QS W L SV BAA ERA WHIP K/9 SVHD

I'd just stockpile those arms then look to make a deal for a young bat. Just me though.

2 minutes ago, IrnMike80 said:

So you guys like Griffin huh?

Sorry!  I did not read that Julio Pablo Martinez is available.  I would grab him over Canning and I also may toss a coin between Naylor and Hampson.

7 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Sorry!  I did not read that Julio Pablo Martinez is available.  I would grab him over Canning and I also may toss a coin between Naylor and Hampson.

Yep....Martinez and Naylor were my original last two adds.... I don't know much about any of these guys except tidbits here and there so IDK. I think I did hear some say Hampson is a STUD but idk. So that makes it 

Martinez

Naylor

Hampson

Valera

Griffin

I think the bats work best for me like I said my oldest MLB guys are Freeman and Salvador Perez

• Like 1

On 5/14/2018 at 6:31 AM, Lonny Baxter said:

Ryan McKenna is an athletic  21 year old centerfielder at High A in the Carolina League for the Frederick Keys in the Orioles organization.  He was drafted in the 4th round out of high school in New Hampshire.  Not exactly a prospect hot spot.  McKenna is a good defensive outfielder with good speed.  He is not the biggest guy and the power is still developing.  In 2017 at full season A with Delmarva, McKenna was much better in the second half of the season and he has carried it over this year.  Currently hitting 329/ 422/904.  TBD determined whether he is a regular or a 4th outfielder, but he is someone to keep an eye in deeper dynasty leagues. 

McKenna has gotten even better since my original post.  He is up to 378/466/1,012.  He should be getting promoted to AA very soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lonny Baxter said:

McKenna has gotten even better since my original post.  He is up to 378/466/1,012.  He should be getting promoted to AA very soon. 

Hmmm....

Maybe I'm missing something, but where is the hype around Taylor Widener? Putting up good if not great numbers in AA, missing a ton of bats and yet I never hear him mentioned.  Following last night's 6IP 3H 0ER 2BB 12K performance, his season numbers, are a very impressive 2.53ERA 3.12FIP 3.22xFIP 11.84K/9 2.93BB/9.  It's not like he's living on deception either, as his fastball sits 93-95 touching 98mph which earns 60/60grade, an above average slider which earns a 55/60 and he's added a change up that has continued to improve this season and is a quality 3rd pitch at 50.

Edited by Tryptamine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/13/2018 at 3:11 AM, Lonny Baxter said:

Your boy made the BA Hot Sheet this week. 

Hmmm....

On ‎2018‎-‎06‎-‎13 at 6:11 AM, Lonny Baxter said:

Think he is very under the radar right now.  Strikes me as a similar profile to Benintendi type (though one is RH the other LH) .  If you also look at their build too with developing power as they moved up.  Not saying he will develop into that, but if it all goes right.

Edited by BigPapi44

Can't recall if he's been brought up here, but no thread on Matt Thaiss- 1B LAA in AAA. He's been playing some good ball and might be brought up in the very near future? Not the traditional slugger profile but could be an option for those of us in the deeper dynasty leagues.

2 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Can't recall if he's been brought up here, but no thread on Matt Thaiss- 1B LAA in AAA. He's been playing some good ball and might be brought up in the very near future? Not the traditional slugger profile but could be an option for those of us in the deeper dynasty leagues.

Keep a watch on his home/road splits at Salt Lake, a real hitters park.  Right now not doing that well on the road.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After an extremely glowing write up in the helium section of BAs  hot sheets, there's no more ignoring NYY OF prospect Everson Periera. Young kid who already had very good bat on ball skills and plate discipline puts on some size over the winter and goes from gap power to plus power hitter. The difference for Periera is he's only 17 and he's already showing it in games.

• Thanks 1

On 6/13/2018 at 6:11 AM, Lonny Baxter said:

McKenna was promoted to AA Bowie. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2018 at 2:48 PM, Tryptamine said:

After an extremely glowing write up in the helium section of BAs  hot sheets, there's no more ignoring NYY OF prospect Everson Periera. Young kid who already had very good bat on ball skills and plate discipline puts on some size over the winter and goes from gap power to plus power hitter. The difference for Periera is he's only 17 and he's already showing it in games.

I want to second this one. 

That write up was GLOWING.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2018 at 11:23 PM, IrnMike80 said:

Yep....Martinez and Naylor were my original last two adds.... I don't know much about any of these guys except tidbits here and there so IDK. I think I did hear some say Hampson is a STUD but idk. So that makes it 

Martinez

Naylor

Hampson

Valera

Griffin

I think the bats work best for me like I said my oldest MLB guys are Freeman and Salvador Perez

Agree on Valera but you should also add TOR-3B Miguel Hiraldo. That boy is going to be a MONSTER! For a 17 year old, his plate discipline and overall patience at the plate is rare. Now it's a small sample but the gains he's made since his showcase before he signed with the Blue Jays to now is ridiculous. Showing a plus hit tool and in game power already.

Obviously anything can happen but Hiraldo is looking like another young International signing that's gonna fly his way into Toronto. I tend to wait until they actually start playing and having success in the states before I go crazy over them but Hiraldo is showing early signs of becoming a beast

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, JakeSarna said:

Agree on Valera but you should also add TOR-3B Miguel Hiraldo. That boy is going to be a MONSTER! For a 17 year old, his plate discipline and overall patience at the plate is rare. Now it's a small sample but the gains he's made since his showcase before he signed with the Blue Jays to now is ridiculous. Showing a plus hit tool and in game power already.

Obviously anything can happen but Hiraldo is looking like another young International signing that's gonna fly his way into Toronto. I tend to wait until they actually start playing and having success in the states before I go crazy over them but Hiraldo is showing early signs of becoming a beast

Hmmmm.  Never heard of him.   Sounds interesting.

I don't know much about Jared Oliva of the Pirates other than I like his stats.  He was the Pirates 7th round draft pick last. year out of University of Arizona as a redshirt junior.  Oliva was a late bloomer who did not play much in high school and walked on in college.   He has been at high A all year and has put up impressive numbers (299/384/884 with 9 hrs and 22 sbs).  Oliva is listed as a  centerfielder and turns 23 in November.