2ndCitySox

2017-2018 Off-season and Hot Stove Thread

Diamondbacks sign Hirano. He's 34 but has been a great closer in Japan the past several years. Pitches in the low 90's and has a good splitter. Don't know if he'll pan out but at 3 million this seems like a fantastic signing. He's probably going to be a strong contender to be the closer in Arizona. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

Jon Heyman (MLBTV) doesn't believe the Cole trade is close to happening. Feels the Yankees will slow play the trade to get the deal down to Frasier instead of Torres. 

Which is fine, but if I am the Pirates, and its not required that you trade guys like Cole or Cutch, the offer would have to be an overpay right now for me to give up my season - so Frazier might be fine in July, but right now its Gleyber.  That would be my stance if I was the PIrates in taking offers for guys like Cole or Cutch.  

17 minutes ago, parrothead said:

Which is fine, but if I am the Pirates, and its not required that you trade guys like Cole or Cutch, the offer would have to be an overpay right now for me to give up my season - so Frazier might be fine in July, but right now its Gleyber.  That would be my stance if I was the PIrates in taking offers for guys like Cole or Cutch.  

That is the reasoning the Yankees are using. They did the same with Sonny Gray last year. Plus every day the trade doesn't happen  Cole loses some value in not pitching a complete season for the club that lands him in a trade or if he gets injured. Samething is happening with Machado trade him last year the team getting him had him for two years and trade him this year and it is for one year and he walks. You don't give up a lot for a one-year rental

2 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Jon Heyman (MLBTV) doesn't believe the Cole trade is close to happening. Feels the Yankees will slow play the trade to get the deal down to Frasier instead of Torres. 

they have to

if they trade torres who is playing 2nd or 3rd?

it would be an AWFUL PR move as well

1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

Diamondbacks sign Hirano. He's 34 but has been a great closer in Japan the past several years. Pitches in the low 90's and has a good splitter. Don't know if he'll pan out but at 3 million this seems like a fantastic signing. He's probably going to be a strong contender to be the closer in Arizona. 

Why wouldn't they give the job to Bradley, he has great stuff, he had the Andrew Miller role last year, maybe thats where they want him, but i think he would be a great closer

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Why wouldn't they give the job to Bradley, he has great stuff, he had the Andrew Miller role last year, maybe thats where they want him, but i think he would be a great closer

Bradley would be a great closer, but like you alluded to, he is more valuable when not confined to 9th innings when his team is up 3 or fewer runs. 

Hiriano or Boxberger will close. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, azeri98 said:

It seems you've answered your own question. 

I don't believe the roles in that bullpen are settled. They still are entertaining moving Bradley back to the rotation. If Hirano looks great in spring training I think he's absolutely a contender to close in the desert. 

On 12/22/2017 at 3:54 PM, AnonymousRob said:

It seems you've answered your own question. 

I don't believe the roles in that bullpen are settled. They still are entertaining moving Bradley back to the rotation. If Hirano looks great in spring training I think he's absolutely a contender to close in the desert. 

Bradley was better than Rodney too but that didnt seem to matter...although with a guy like Rodney, my guess is that for clubhouse sanity, he is the type of guy (and this is true for many veteran closer types) that if he isnt the deemed closer, might as well just not have him there and thats one of those things that if a team devalues the closer and values more the Miller put him in the high stress situation regardless of inning, then it really doesnt matter

Cubs looking to trade for Machado in a deal that would be good for both sides. Rumor is Cubs give up Almora, Russell, and Montgomery. Youth for rebuilding Blt and Cubs get stronger and open up spots for Baez and Happ.

1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

Cubs looking to trade for Machado in a deal that would be good for both sides. Rumor is Cubs give up Almora, Russell, and Montgomery. Youth for rebuilding Blt and Cubs get stronger and open up spots for Baez and Happ.

Baltimore could do a lot better than that load of so-so, ho-hums.  Way too one sided towards the Cubs.  Russell especially has continued to disappoint with the bat these past years.  O's need back a young, top of the rotation guy at the very least to head the deal since their pitching is horrible and their farm has nothing in regards to arms.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Baltimore could do a lot better than that load of so-so, ho-hums.  Way too one sided towards the Cubs.  Russell especially has continued to disappoint with the bat these past years.  O's need back a young, top of the rotation guy at the very least to head the deal since their pitching is horrible and their farm has nothing in regards to arms.

Are teams asking for a window to negotiate a contract with Machado as part of these deals? I would assume they would want this and I assume Machado doesn't want anything to do with that. Do the Cubs really need Machado for 1 year?

11 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Manny is a rental and probably isn't doing a sign and trade unless its a mega deal like Stanton's.

Seems like a fine offer to me. If the Orioles wanted to kill in a Manny trade. They should have traded him last year with 2 years of control.

5 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Do you have a link? 

Value wise it seems ok, but, like an earlier poster mentioned, they want pitching. Montgomery will not move their manometer, so to speak.

Side question: for mobile users, does this site act weird if you use an apostrophe when you type? When I do it acts as if I hit the post button.

Edited by 2ndCitySox
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Do you have a link? 

Value wise it seems ok, but, like an earlier poster mentioned, they want pitching. Montgomery will not move their manometer, so to speak.

Side question: for mobile users, does this site act weird if you use an apostrophe when you type? When I do it acts as if I hit the post button.

Was on MLB. TV this afternoon.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Do you have a link? 

That's way too much for one year of Manny Machado. Dave Cameron wrote a piece for Fangraphs detailing what the Orioles could reasonably expect back and he said Eduardo Rodriguez or Bogaerts (2 years remaining) from the Red Sox. Individually, not as a package. 

3 hours ago, absknicks said:

That's way too much for one year of Manny Machado. Dave Cameron wrote a piece for Fangraphs detailing what the Orioles could reasonably expect back and he said Eduardo Rodriguez or Bogaerts (2 years remaining) from the Red Sox. Individually, not as a package. 

Well  I guess Dave Cameron is a maroon, because I'd want more than a pitcher who can't stay healthy and a mediocre bat in return.

Edited by BlueJaysIn2030

5 hours ago, absknicks said:

Seems like a lot but the Cubs would be opening up a spot for him to play SS and have the cap room to sign him after this year. It also opens up a place for Happ and Baez to get a starting spot. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, absknicks said:

It does favor the O's but it is not a crazy offer if they have soured on Russell.

4 minutes ago, winkler29 said:

Any word where Joey Bats might end up for next season?

I heard Tampa Bay is a possible landing spot. I heard that on Hot Stove on the MLB Network.