2ndCitySox

2017-2018 Off-season and Hot Stove Thread

Yahoo Sports' Jeff Passan reports the Blue Jays have acquired third baseman Yangervis Solarte from the Padres.

FanRag Sports' Robert Murray says the return is Edward Olivares and a "small second piece." Solarte batted a fairly pedestrian .255/.314/.416 in 2017, but he's a versatile defender and a better hitter than last year's line suggests. The Jays don't seemingly have a need for the 30-year-old at the positions at which he's most comfortable, so the questions around Josh Donaldson's future will surely flare back up now.

utility player for the Jays or does this mean more?

• Like 1

Solarte getting traded to Toronto counts as hot news in this barren wasteland of an off-season. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

utility player for the Jays or does this mean more?

He could play 2b the 120 games Travis is hurt

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, azeri98 said:

He could play 2b the 120 games Travis is hurt

This team is so going for it this year! I can't believe Atkins was able to Solarte, what a steal!

:(

2 hours ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

This team is so going for it this year! I can't believe Atkins was able to Solarte, what a steal!

What does it mean to "Solarte"?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

What does it mean to "Solarte"?

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

giphy.gif

Wait... isn't that the Macarena?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/6/2018 at 9:23 PM, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Shapiro is just trying  to add a little Canadian flavour to the team, we love the word "eh". now we have Ngop-eh and Solart-eh

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mlbtraderumors stated the twins are interested in Chris Tillman. That's something I guess. 

Posted (edited)

Rumors on Boston talk show that Dodgers have been offering Puig for JBJ.  Hope Red Sox don't bite because Puig still has ego tripping issues.  Interesting that Dodgers may be shopping Puig around which may mean they have had it with him at this point and want to "sell high" or as high as they can hope for.  And JBJ isn't exactly a high return even stat wise other than his defense.

Trade JBJ?  Sure.  But not for a head case.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Have not read all the posts in the thread, but is there a reason for the hold up of significant moves? Like, whats everyone waiting for?? I feel when things break, its gonna be a lot of moves at one time....time to bust out the brass balls MLB owners / GM's. Let's go!

Actually I think the owners are finally getting smarter with their money. Maybe not all but they don't seem to be freewheeling like in years past. Does that mean once JDM comes off the board the flood gates open ? Maybe maybe not . It's clear the Red Sox want Martinez but their hard line on not going past 5 years is smart.

Honestly I Would  rather give him more money and less years . Same with guys like Hosmer, Cain and Moustakas . The Angels were suppose to be players for Moustakas but saw a chance to get a solid player for a lot less . 

I think and hope this trend continues . Especially when it comes to players like JDM who will be 35 agvthe end of a five year deal . Yes he will only be 35 for a few weeks but being a late 34 in June or July is close enough to 35 that he may not be worth his contract after three years . Hosmer seems the safer bet on a 7 year deal being two years younger because he can still play defense . But both would be 34 . Not old on baseball years but think anything past 5 -6 years on him is too much 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dugout Legend said:

Have not read all the posts in the thread, but is there a reason for the hold up of significant moves? Like, whats everyone waiting for?? I feel when things break, its gonna be a lot of moves at one time....time to bust out the brass balls MLB owners / GM's. Let's go!

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/maybe-super-teams-are-ruining-the-off-season/

not agreeing or disagreeing with the content. read it earlier today and found it relevant to your question.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dugout Legend said:

57 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/maybe-super-teams-are-ruining-the-off-season/

not agreeing or disagreeing with the content. read it earlier today and found it relevant to your question.

Interesting read, it makes some sense.

Usually takes a few of the big FA to sign to set the market and give the teams competing for playoffs spots a better picture on how to counter the signings. Obviously that hasn't happened yet, guessing Boras' clients have enough question marks that give GM's a reason to hold the line on at least the length of contract.  

I think some lesser FA will ultimately be hurt by the hold up.

We have action...

Rene Rivera signs with Angels.

That is something....

Gerrit Cole trade to Astros imminent according to Morosi.

17 minutes ago, Dugout Legend said:

Gerrit Cole trade to Astros imminent according to Morosi.

That's a 3.4 Zips projected WAR pitcher going to the WS champs.