svtballa

Carlos Correa 2018 Outlook

6 minutes ago, sngehl01 said:

What you posted may help explain why he's hitting like he is, but they are also part of a small sample either. One week of playing very strong baseball can push those #'s past where they were last year. If you are comparing his #'s to where they were last year I'm sure they are down across the board. The guy was electric last season. 

Citing how his #'s changed over the course of a week at this point last season is meaningful. Especially when owners think he's been such a disappointment. I would say calling him a big disappointment is an over reaction. Paul Goldschmidt? Big disappointment. Anthony Rizzo? Big disappointment. Those guys could very well be costing you your league. Guys like Correa, Bryant, even Votto may not be performing at the level you'd expect, but 1 big week from any would alleviate any concerns at this point in the season. 

Ok, that's fair. I was probably overstating it by saying a "big disappointment."

FWIW, I think he'll ultimately be fine. I was never sold on him as a first round type of guy in traditional 5x5 but I think 2nd/3rd round production is a solid bet. 

Edited by absknicks

2 hours ago, sngehl01 said:

Yeah, a declaration I'd make about a 23 year old who has already put up MVP level #'s and howns a career 162 game average line of 95 R, 38 2B, 29 HR, 111 RBI, 12 SB and a .286/.365/.495 line. I'll grant you that he's unlikely to steal 10+ again, but he it's not a stretch for him to approach that total. 

So, a guy who has done that at age 20-23 will never be a first round talent? I find it hard to believe we've seen the best he has to offer. You won't find many guys who can sniff 110 R and RBI while hitting .300+ and 35+ homers. Scariest part is that's probably not even his "ceiling."

Sorry, I don’t really care. He isn’t guaranteed the #1 or top 10 offensive guy in the game, and never was. He’s a good to portentially great player. I like correa. I have sold the farm for him before. But many scouts said things like “he won’t hit as much as you think” type comments when he went one overall. He’s already hit quite a bit. Ceiling talk is whatever. Gets people excited. Sets up for disappointment. He is what he is so far which is a really enticing talent with some enigmatic but solid stretches, leaving him short of being a first round true talent in fantasy. Nothing wrong with what I said. I argued quite a bit about correa in 2016 with people; they said he was great, he was the cornerstone of my team. And he was just ok. 

27 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

I have sold the farm for him before. But many scouts said things like “he won’t hit as much as you think” type comments when he went one overall. 

His career slash line at 23, his 4th season in the majors 

284/365/495

Unlesss you were expecting Barry Bonds at SS, those "many" scouts allegedly were very wrong 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mevins31 said:

Sorry, I don’t really care. He isn’t guaranteed the #1 or top 10 offensive guy in the game, and never was. He’s a good to portentially great player. I like correa. I have sold the farm for him before. But many scouts said things like “he won’t hit as much as you think” type comments when he went one overall. He’s already hit quite a bit. Ceiling talk is whatever. Gets people excited. Sets up for disappointment. He is what he is so far which is a really enticing talent with some enigmatic but solid stretches, leaving him short of being a first round true talent in fantasy. Nothing wrong with what I said. I argued quite a bit about correa in 2016 with people; they said he was great, he was the cornerstone of my team. And he was just ok. 

Of course he's not guaranteed the #1 or top 10 offensive guy in the game. Who is? Outside of Trout, there's really no one you can "take it to the bank" with on being a sure fire top 10 guy. Yeah, those scouts said that about a someone who was what, 16, 17 when drafted? I'd like to find those scouts who said that 6 years ago and see what they have to say today. I can't imagine they stand by those statements. Even disregard the ceiling talk. His floor (let's call what he's doing now his floor, since it's such a disappointment to everyone) would put him at 99 runs, 26 HR, 105 RBI, 6 SB, a .271/.359/.475 slash line. If that line for a guy is a giant disappointment then sign me up. There aren't many 100/25/100/5/.270 floor guys in the majors. Don't let your past expectations determine what you think today. He's still only 23 until after the regular season. If someone was expecting better than 100/25/100/.270 seasons from a 23 year old then their expectations were probably a bit too high. Last year he showed just how special he can be.  He was looking the part again in march/april when he hit .330/.398/.534. May has brought his overall #'s down quite a bit, but we're so early in the season we are far from writing this guy off as a bust (again, if 100/25/100/.270 is a bust then wow). 

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

His career slash line at 23, his 4th season in the majors 

284/365/495

Unlesss you were expecting Barry Bonds at SS, those "many" scouts allegedly were very wrong

Exactly. I'm not saying Lindor doesn't deserve to go ahead of him next year. Coming into this year people didn't buy into his power surge last year, but he's clubbing HR's again. At this rate, Lindor will pass Correa more than likely, but it may end up close. With Trea/Machado/Lindor/Correa out there, we get to see some awesome SS's right now. Of the top 25 scorers in my league, 6 are SS. 2 are 1B, 3 are 2B, 3 are 3B, 18 are OF. SS has just gotten really deep all of a sudden. 

3 hours ago, Random Dude said:

Why is the correa thread always like this? 

A-Rod comp / upside.  Creates unfair expectations and impatience.

• Like 2

On pace for 95 runs, 25 home runs, 102 RBI, 79 walks and by all the posts, he isn't what they thought.

To me that's fantastic. One good week and you all will be saying he's top 5 overall.

I look at the .360 OBP and do wonder why people who own him complain. Try going a week with Khris Davis, Joey Gallo, 2018 Bellinger, Rafael Devers, Didi, etc.. It's a whole different kind of hell

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, mevins31 said:

I look at the .360 OBP and do wonder why people who own him complain. Try going a week with Khris Davis, Joey Gallo, 2018 Bellinger, Rafael Devers, Didi, etc.. It's a whole different kind of hell

Exactly... Correa is the definition of set and forget.

• Like 1

Oh this guy is hurt again?! Come on! Please don't be serious. Maybe building a team around this guy was not the best decision for me...

Edited by Grace17
  • Like 1

Speculating but sounds like a lat issue which is no bueno.  Usually one month issue.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, B&F said:

Speculating but sounds like a lat issue which is no bueno.  Usually one month issue.

The lat is in the player's back. He clutched his side. This sounds much more like an oblique which is generally 2-4 weeks.

16 minutes ago, steve9347 said:

The lat is in the player's back. He clutched his side. This sounds much more like an oblique which is generally 2-4 weeks.

Ray had an oblique issues and it’s been way longer than 2-4 weeks. Depends on severity of the oblique.

8 minutes ago, mannymachado said:

Ray had an oblique issues and it’s been way longer than 2-4 weeks. Depends on severity of the oblique.

Correa f***s me every season.

12 minutes ago, mannymachado said:

Also, pitchers tend to be out a little longer than hitters when it comes to oblique injuries.

13 minutes ago, mannymachado said:

Also different recovery in an SP vs a batter but regardless would be a DL stint if that's the case.

Guess I have a reason to check out Profar now at least. 

1 hour ago, Baur10 said:

Also different recovery in an SP vs a batter but regardless would be a DL stint if that's the case.

Guess I have a reason to check out Profar now at least. 

I picked up Profar. Haven't been paying much attention so I went and looked at how Correa matched up as a SS in my format. He is 10th overall. Behind such stars as Javier Baez and Brandon Crawford among others. Wow, didn't see that happening this year. Furthermore, he's behind Baez in a league that counts K's and OBP.  His K's are ridiculous. And now you have to hang him with the "injury prone" label if this is any significant time (he's been on the DL every year).  I think I'm going to have to adjust my expectations with him. Good to have on a team, but not high end keeper material at this point. Talent is there, just not all clicking yet. 

Edited by Grace17