Sign in to follow this  
Lamont Sanford

Why Not Charged Interceptions?

7 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

What sense does that make? Was a QB’s error clearly responsible for the loss of yardage? 

If your going to charge the player most responsible for an int than you need to apply the same principle to Tds, fumbles, big plays etc

So much wow in this thread.  You guys should be commissioner in your league, and deal with all the interception rulings personally.

1 minute ago, kdko said:

The QB committed the error.  I'll oversimplify this for you.  If the QB hadn't thrown the pass in the first place, there would never be an interception.  That goes for 100% of passes.

That’s insane. If the WR caught the perfectly thrown pass it wouldn’t have been intercepted.

1 minute ago, Evincar said:

If your going to charge the player most responsible for an int than you need to apply the same principle to Tds, fumbles, big plays etc

Agreed.

Just now, brockpapersizer said:

"breaking away" is a lot more subjective than a turnover, not to mention, he still had to get the ball to him. It's possible to have a great pass and have a WR make a great move. A turnover should be awarded to whoever is at fault.   It's really not the same logic at all. 

So in this whole scenario, let's say QB throws a great pass, WR follows a perfect route, but a speedy good CB makes an incredible play to get the INT. Who is at fault?

Just now, Jwook said:

So in this whole scenario, let's say QB throws a great pass, WR follows a perfect route, but a speedy good CB makes an incredible play to get the INT. Who is at fault?

The QB for underestimating the CB.

3 minutes ago, Jwook said:

Probably wasn't a great decision to pass the ball with a speedy CB following that path. 

I'd say this imaginary "WR interception rule" is probably more for when a reciever  has the ball thrown in their hands or off their chest.... it bounces off that reciever into a different direction and the defenses catches it. 

I'm sure teams already track this stat btw, it's just not a  household stat. Kind of like using Steals vs Net Steals in baseball.  Obviously one stat is more telling of the player's skill than the other, but we use the bad one because "thats the way it's been"

Edited by brockpapersizer

4 minutes ago, Jwook said:

In your scenario, the QB is at fault for underestimating the CB. 

Same scenario, but the QB throws a perfect pass that the the speedy good CB can’t quite catch up to, but the WR bobbles it up in the air snd the CB grabs it for an INT. Who is at fault?

Edited by Lamont Sanford

6 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

So those of you mocking me honestly don’t see a flaw in charging a QB with an interception on a perfectly thrown pass?

No. Your mocking is deserved. 

Just now, Lamont Sanford said:

Same scenario, but the QB throws a perfect pass that the the speedy good CB can’t quite catch up to, but the WR bobbles it up in the air snd the CB grabs it for an INT. Who is at fault?

The QB for overestimating the WR.

2 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

No it isn’t, this place is just full of jerks.

I'm not mocking you for the record, just pointing out the flaw in the argument.

3 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

How is the QB overestimating the WR?

By thinking he could make a clean catch when obviously he couldn't. The same way you argued that the QB is at fault for underestimating the CB.

Just now, Jwook said:

I'm not mocking you for the record, just pointing out the flaw in the argument.

By thinking he could make a clean catch when obviously he couldn't. The same way you argued that the QB is at fault for underestimating the CB.

You honestly think the QB is at fault for an int because he expects the WR to catch a perfectly thrown pass?

Just now, Lamont Sanford said:

You honestly think the QB is at fault for an int because he expects the WR to catch a perfectly thrown pass?

No, I'm basically pointing out how, unlike baseball, football is a complete team sport that relies on so many different variables. If you started charging WRs for INTs, it potentially opens a pandora box of changing the entire scoring system.

How is my suggestion any different than when the NFL places the fumble blame of a mishandled handoff? If it’s the QBs fault he gets charged with the fumble. If it’s the RBs fault, he gets charged with the fumble. Why are INTs always the QBs fault?

Just now, Jwook said:

No, I'm basically pointing out how, unlike baseball, football is a complete team sport that relies on so many different variables. If you started charging WRs for INTs, it potentially opens a pandora box of changing the entire scoring system.

Baseball isn't a complete team sport? 

2 minutes ago, Jwook said:

Why aren’t mishandled handoffs automatically charged to the QB? 

6 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

This season will be my last.

Good riddance loser

3 minutes ago, jstep13 said:

It is and it isn't. There are a lot fewer players involved at any given time.

1 minute ago, jstep13 said:

Not in the same sense as football. For example, during an infield fly ball, what is the point of outfielders? In football, every person matters pretty much every play.