Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lamont Sanford

Why Not Charged Interceptions?

5 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Why aren’t mishandled handoffs automatically charged to the QB? 

They should just charge the C, so no one takes a loss in fantasy.

Just now, devaster said:

Or they could just charge whoever is actually at fault so it makes sense in any scenario. 

8 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

How is my suggestion any different than when the NFL places the fumble blame of a mishandled handoff? If it’s the QBs fault he gets charged with the fumble. If it’s the RBs fault, he gets charged with the fumble. Why are INTs always the QBs fault?

Because the qb was the last player to have possession of the ball. Hence if the wr gains possession and then coughs it up it's a fumble. This isn't rocket science.

12 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

F you a-hole.

giphy.gif

No no no. This is how you do it.

Okay, mocking aside - what you're asking is impossible.  The fault rarely lies on one person in regards to an interception, when you start trying to assign blame to players other than the QB.  You'd also be making things subjective in a game that relies on objectivity. 

We've all seen QB's throw beautiful passes, only to have a CB jump a lazy route and come away with a pick.  If we're assigning blame here, who was more responsible for that interception? The receiver, or the player who made a great play and intercepted it?  Let's say that same QB also had early pressure because of a missed blocking assignment and ditched the ball early to the WR, who was early in his route?  That would sure look like the WR's fault on first look.  But was he 100% to blame?

Easiest thing is to assign the blame to the person who threw that ball.  This isn't Baseball where errors are a lot more cut and dry.  

5 minutes ago, devaster said:

Everyone gets a trophy!

2 minutes ago, fingers said:

Because the qb was the last player to have possession of the ball. Hence if the wr gains possession and then coughs it up it's a fumble. This isn't rocket science.

On a mishandled handoff, the QB is the last player to have possession of the ball, yet the RB is often credited with the fumble because it was his fault. Agreed, not rocket science. 

Lmao this thread is amazing. It would be way too complicated and will not, and should not, ever happen.

What if the receiver gets two hands on the ball, is smashed by a safety and the ball pops up and is picked off? Not the QBs fault then? Where do you draw the line? Stupid.

1 minute ago, Lamont Sanford said:

On a mishandled handoff, the QB is the last player to have possession of the ball, yet the RB is often credited with the fumble because it was his fault. Agreed, not rocket science. 

So if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. Who cares? 

15 minutes ago, gus030 said:
14 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

F you a-hole.

Good riddance loser

George-Costanza-Popcorn.gif

7 minutes ago, Vegemite2 said:

Lmao this thread is amazing. It would be way too complicated and will not, and should not, ever happen.

What if the receiver gets two hands on the ball, is smashed by a safety and the ball pops up and is picked off? Not the QBs fault then? Where do you draw the line? Stupid.

No more complicated than MLB determining what us and isn’t an error which takes virtually no time at all

No more complicated than MLB determining what us and isn’t an error which takes virtually no time at all

I don't think you're a stupid guy, so it just makes this all the more baffling that you can continue going with this.  i think you're just arguing for argument's sake at this point, when people have made good points in this thread and you're just ignoring all logic.

I have a solution: If the wide receiver is credited with a drop on a pass that is intercepted, then the WR should take credit for the INT. Drops are an actual stat and could be tracked fairly easy. Otherwise, you can pin it on the QB.

6 hours ago, MyDawgggg said:

I have a solution: If the wide receiver is credited with a drop on a pass that is intercepted, then the WR should take credit for the INT. Drops are an actual stat and could be tracked fairly easy. Otherwise, you can pin it on the QB.

Excellent point and suggestion, though most here seem to think this concept is super-incredibly complicated. 

23 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Excellent point and suggestion, though most here seem to think this concept is super-incredibly complicated. 

Just super-incredibly stupid. 

14 minutes ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

Just super-incredibly stupid. 

Boy, that’s a real zinger right there! You should use that on someone today at recess, I bet all the other kids will snicker and laugh!

7 hours ago, kdko said:

I don't think you're a stupid guy, so it just makes this all the more baffling that you can continue going with this.  i think you're just arguing for argument's sake at this point, when people have made good points in this thread and you're just ignoring all logic.

I’m not a stupid guy, which is why I’m baffled as to why so many of you find this so confusing and complicated. It’s really very simple. Like MyDawg said, if WRs can be credited with drops, why can’t they be credited with INT’s that result from drops? What’s complicated about that? What’s the logic against it? I’d appreciate it if you could reply with an actual response as opposed to insulting me or confusing the issue by comparing it to a a lineman getting credit for a RB TD. 

I cannot believe there are 3 pages in this thread.

The NFL rule towards who is credited with an interception never will change. It never will change because it should not change; it is perfectly fine and correct as is. The player who threw the pass (99% of the time the QB, Tyreek Hill's ridiculous pass last night nonwithstanding) should be charged with the INT. 

2 minutes ago, Corleone said:

I cannot believe there are 3 pages in this thread.

The NFL rule towards who is credited with an interception never will change. It never will change because it should not change; it is perfectly fine and correct as is. The player who threw the pass (99% of the time the QB, Tyreek Hill's ridiculous pass last night nonwithstanding) should be charged with the INT. 

You may be right that the NFL will never change the rule, but I disagree with the bolded. I think it makes more sense to charge the INT to the WR if/when they are clearly the cause of the INT, and this can be easily accomplished/tracked as evidenced by the “drops” statistics. Charging the QB with an INT, or a pick 6, on a perfectly thrown pass bobbled by the WR into the defenses hands seems illogical and  incorrect to me. 

You may be right that the NFL will never change the rule, but I disagree with the bolded. I think it makes more sense to charge the INT to the WR if/when they are clearly the cause of the INT, and this can be easily accomplished/tracked as evidenced by the “drops” statistics. Charging the QB with an INT, or a pick 6, on a perfectly thrown pass bobbled by the WR into the defenses hands seems illogical and  incorrect to me. 

We'll have to agree to disagree on the bolded part. What if the "drop" happens because the pass was terribly thrown and the WR made an amazing play just to get to the ball? So the WR dropped the ball, but it was a bad pass and the WR made an amazing play to give the team a chance...is the WR still clearly the cause of the INT? Overall, if you go down the route you're suggesting, you'll get all kinds of different rulings and a lot of chaos.

I see others in the thread have mentioned screen passes, and I do think that's a fair analogy. There are times when a QB throws the simplest of screen passes, but the pass catcher makes incredible moves (and the offensive line incredible blocks) to give the QB a 70-yard TD pass. When all the QB did was throw a 1-yard dump-off. The QB gets full credit and nobody complains that he unfairly benefitted, even though the pass catcher is "clearly the cause" of the long TD. It has to be the same way with unlucky interceptions too.