Sign in to follow this  
SuperJoint

Cleveland Browns Outlook 2017

Really didn't want to make a new thread but the "Offseason" thread is closed so I guess I get to roll out this beauty.

What a clownshow:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Browns believed they completed their acquisition of Bengals QB A.J. McCarron before Tuesday's deadline, but that the league would not allow it to go through.

Schefter reports the Browns notified the NFL of the deal "moments too late," and that the league would not budge. ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi went as far as to report that the Browns were "celebrating" McCarron's acquisition and "forgot to call in the deal before the deadline." That seems a bit hard to believe, though we really want to. The Cincinnati Enquirer reports the Browns were ready to part with second- and third-round picks. Coach Hue Jackson was McCarron's coordinator his first two years in the league. The Browns have lost control of their quarterback narrative, letting their rivals and media paint them as hapless in their pursuit of an answer under center.

Edited by SuperJoint

2 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

1-15.

/closedthread

Sure but you have to admit that bit of a**-hattery deserved some sort of acknowledgement for the record.

I mean - this is truly funny. 

Here they are trying to trade for McCarron and they just drafted Kizer. And then, because they completely botched it, it becomes public.

Kizer is completely off the radar even in Dynasty in my estimation.

2nd and 3rd for McCarron. Maybe the Browns were trolling the Bengals? Bengals were all excited to be fleecing the Browns. You know, like you fleece that one guy in your FF league. But the Browns were the ones that trolled the Bengals the whole way? Nah, probably not. It is the Browns after all. lol

Browns should be happy the league denied the trade and their protest about being late. Saved them from wasting their picks on McCarron.

That's nothing compared to what the browns are used to.  Trade Carson Wentz for the 8th pick and a first this year. That first becomes the 12th pick (Watson), who they trade for peppers and a first next year. Stockpiling picks is a great strategy but when the organization is worse at evaluating talent than someone who's never even watched football before it becomes pointless.

Let's not forget they also traded away julio jones to the falcons and traded the 4th pick in 2014 to the bills (Mack went 5 and evans went 7th) only to draft justin gilbert 8th overall and I'm not sure what team he's even on right now.

Them not trading a 2nd and a 3rd for Mccarron because they were to busy celebrating to confirm the trade is actually an upgrade compared to how things have been going there.  If you're a fan I'm genuinely sorry for you, evetually they have to get lucky and find someone who can play QB and is willing to do it in Cleveland maybe Kirk Cousins?

Edited by Ddam2013

13 minutes ago, Ddam2013 said:

That's nothing compared to what the browns are used to.  Trade Carson Wentz for the 8th pick and a first this year. That first becomes the 12th pick (Watson), who they trade for peppers and a first next year. Stockpiling picks is a great strategy but when the organization is worse at evaluating talent than someone who's never even watched football before it becomes pointless.

Let's not forget they also traded away julio jones to the falcons and traded the 4th pick in 2014 to the bills (Mack went 5 and evans went 7th) only to draft justin gilbert 8th overall and I'm not sure what team he's even on right now.

Them not trading a 2nd and a 3rd for Mccarron because they were to busy celebrating to confirm the trade is actually an upgrade compared to how things have been going there.  If you're a fan I'm genuinely sorry for you, evetually they have to get lucky and find someone who can play QB and is willing to do it in Cleveland maybe Kirk Cousins?

Again - more valuable comedy gold info recorded into the record. 

Well done.

RE: Cousins - at this point yeah sign him to a max deal and cut your damn losses. Hell or high water go after Cousins.

9 minutes ago, Ddam2013 said:

Hindsight is always great. They've taken QBs high repeatedly only to have them flame out with 0 supporting cast surrounding them. You're kidding yourself if you think Wentz or Watson are performing like this in Cleveland. For a team void of talent, they're finally operating right for a change. 

Agreed with your last bit. The league saved them from themselves. McCarron isn't worth a 2nd and 3rd. 

8 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Hindsight is always great. They've taken QBs high repeatedly only to have them flame out with 0 supporting cast surrounding them. You're kidding yourself if you think Wentz or Watson are performing like this in Cleveland. For a team void of talent, they're finally operating right for a change. 

Agreed with your last bit. The league saved them from themselves. McCarron isn't worth a 2nd and 3rd. 

I'm not saying Wentz or Watson would be MVP candidates in Cleveland but they would at worst be a long term solution at QB who could lead their team into the playoffs off given the right supporting cast(I.E. Andy Dalton), and once they had the QB they would have 5 years under cheap team control to try to build a winning franchise around him,  just look at the jaguars this year they have a team that is competing and their QBs aren't any better than Cleveland's.

Edited by Ddam2013

9 minutes ago, Ddam2013 said:

I'm not saying Wentz or Watson would be MVP candidates in Cleveland but they would at worst be a long term solution at QB who could lead their team into the playoffs off given the right supporting cast(I.E. Andy Dalton), and once they had the QB they would have 5 years under cheap team control to try to build a winning franchise around him,  just look at the jaguars this year they have a team that is competing and their QBs aren't any better than Cleveland's.

To me it looks like Cleveland is taking the same approach the Jets took a decade or so ago: build up your team and move up for your QB (Sanchez) once you have other pieces in place to put them in a favorable position. Ultimately it didn't work out for New York, but they did make back to back championship games before things fell apart. With a bounty of picks this year, and a ton of cap, they'll be able to continue to build up their team to go with the already strong front 7 they have in place. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Cousins ends up in Cleveland

1 minute ago, smetana34 said:

To me it looks like Cleveland is taking the same approach the Jets took a decade or so ago: build up your team and move up for your QB (Sanchez) once you have other pieces in place to put them in a favorable position. Ultimately it didn't work out for New York, but they did make back to back championship games before things fell apart. With a bounty of picks this year, and a ton of cap, they'll be able to continue to build up their team to go with the already strong front 7 they have in place. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Cousins ends up in Cleveland

I really hope Joe Thomas doesn't follow though on his supposed plan to retire - that gives CLE another priority on Draft Day they don't really need.

6 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

I really hope Joe Thomas doesn't follow though on his supposed plan to retire - that gives CLE another priority on Draft Day they don't really need.

That would be a real shame. He's been so good for so long and I would hate for him to retire once the team seems to be turning it around after being so loyal to a losing franchise

1 hour ago, billydough said:

What is all this nonsense about the Browns?

i thought this was the secret Josh Gordon thread?

1yli0k.jpg

Edited by jraed

It doesn't matter what QB the Browns took. I'm truly happy for guys like Wentz or Watson so they didn't have their career ruined and actually went to a competent organization. 

Why does NE seemingly always have a good backup QB, Seattle good secondary players no matter who and defense in general, a team like GB seems to have WRs emerge all the time, and etc? It's because these teams are great at developing players and also fitting them into their system. Every rookie except rare cases needs to be taught how to further their game to be successful in the NFL and the QB position is at the top of the list. If Wilson was drafted by the Browns he would likely be out of the league or a bench warmer somewhere. They'd throw him into a starting role with no support and after not showing enough he would be thrown under the bus within weeks after they failed to develop him. Same with Watson and Wentz. They wouldn't get a chance to properly develop after most likely terrible teaching during the offseason. 

Player development and integration is almost never mentioned yet it is one of the most important parts of a team. The Browns don't just draft bad players. They are a pathetic organization top to bottom that cannot develop talent and use it to save their life. Give this roster to an organization like NE, Seattle, and a few others and they would be decent after an offseason and Kizer would be a serviceable NFL QB. Until there is an absolutely complete overhaul and cultural change the Browns have no hope no matter what they do.

All I care about is Josh Gordon getting reinstated tomorrow.

Then hopefully the Browns cut him, the Patriots sign him, and I finally get a damn fantasy football championship.

58 minutes ago, Sticky2 said:

All I care about is Josh Gordon getting reinstated tomorrow.

Then hopefully the Browns cut him, the Patriots Dallas Cowboys sign him, and I finally get a damn fantasy football championship.

Dorsey's draft picks
Coincidentally, the Chiefs had the No. 1 pick in 2013 when they hired Dorsey. The Browns are on pace to have that selection in 2018.
Dorsey’s first pick netted Kansas City tackle Eric Fisher (pictured). Here are some of the Chiefs’ picks in the Dorsey era:
2013: OT Eric Fisher (first round), TE Travis Kelce (third round), RB Knile Davis (third round).
2014: LB Dee Ford (first round), DB Phillip Gaines (third round).
2015: CB Marcus Peters, G Mitch Morse (second round), WR Chris Conley (third round), CB Steven Nelson (third round).
2016: DT Chris Jones (second round), CB KeVarae Russell (third round), QB Kevin Hogan (fifth round), WR Tyreek Hill (fifth round).
2017: QB Patrick Mahomes (first round), DE Tanoh Kpassagnon (second round), RB Kareem Hunt (third round).

What he accomplished
The Chiefs made the playoffs in three of Dorsey’s four years in charge. They replaced him with Brad Veach.
Dorsey’s noteworthy acquisitions include cornerback Marcus Peters, receiver Tyreek Hill and two Northeast Ohio home runs that went over the heads of those in the Browns front office: tight end Travis Kelce of Cleveland Heights and running back Kareem Hunt of Willoughby South (pictured above).
Dorsey also found the Chiefs a quarterback shortly after being hired, when he pried Alex Smith from the 49ers. Kansas City also is stocked with a potential QB of the future in Patrick Mahomes.

Cleveland could land the most elite of all GMs but it ultimately won't matter as long as Hue Jackson is head coach, dude is seriously legit garbage. A good, even decent head coach doesn't lose as much as Hue has. Case in point: Todd Bowles and the New York Jets. Just as little talent as the Browns(if not more) but their coaching and game planning is FAR superior. Hue is just a terrible head coach all around, there's no way around it.

1 minute ago, WonkaWorld said:

Cleveland could land the most elite of all GMs but it ultimately won't matter as long as Hue Jackson is head coach, dude is seriously legit garbage. A good, even decent head coach doesn't lose as much as Hue has. Case in point: Todd Bowles and the New York Jets. Just as little talent as the Browns(if not more) but their coaching and game planning is FAR superior. Hue is just a terrible head coach all around, there's no way around it.

In all fairness the Jets do have a bunch of experienced vets and the browns don't Sashi let them all walk in order to free up cap room to 60mm. Alot of young guys on the Brown who are learning how to play the game on the pro level

How can Hue Jackson possibly keep his job at this point??  Looking at 1-31 over a 2 year stint (maybe 2-30 if they beat CHI on the road this week).  The fact that Haslam has said that Hue will be back and that this is even a discussion at this point is mind-boggling.  BAD organizations stay BAD....