The 7th Beatles

Giancarlo Stanton 2018 Season Outlook

Finally!

After finally staying healthy for a season, and posting career highs all across the board Stanton showed what kind of damage he can do when healthy. Still the best power hitter in all of baseball even though Aaron Judge is in the conversation now Stanton will probably be a late first or early second round pick in most drafts.

New ownership in Miami. Do they build around him or try to trade him after a career season?  

15 minutes ago, dod959 said:

Hopefully he gets traded to literally anyone but the Giants. 

Royals wouldn't be too good either 

2 hours ago, The 7th Beatles said:

Finally!

After finally staying healthy for a season, and posting career highs all across the board Stanton showed what kind of damage he can do when healthy. Still the best power hitter in all of baseball even though Aaron Judge is in the conversation now Stanton will probably be a late first or early second round pick in most drafts.

New ownership in Miami. Do they build around him or try to trade him after a career season?  

Well they are talking about a payroll of 90million which would put him what like between 25-30% of that next year if they are just looking for someone to relieve them of their financial commitment I could see him in SF but if they are trying to get some sort of combo of prospects AND taking the contract, Giants dont have much to give in the way of frontline prospects.   What ironic is that he exploded the one year he finally dipped a bit in ADP, finally folks started to give up on him a bit.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arrowhead said:

One word BEAST....Stanton over Judge any day 

Well Judge, in his rookie season, had a better season than Stanton's ever had... and plays in a better park, hits in a better lineup, is 2.5 years younger, etc.... So there's certainly a good case to make for Judge over Stanton, IMO. 

19 hours ago, The 7th Beatles said:

Finally!

They want to trade him in the worst possible way.  They will have to eat some of his salary but they need to get the loin's share of it off their books.  Trading him is their number one priority.

17 hours ago, Arrowhead said:

One word BEAST....Stanton over Judge any day 

I bolded the words in the quote above to point out one reason Judge over Stanton.  One healthy year does not a career make.  It's more an anomaly.

Also Judge is younger and plays in a bandbox in an excellent line-up with Gary Sanchez having his back.  We will have to wait to see where Stanton ends up.  Could help him.  But like if he ends up on the Giants -- and they are said to be the strongest front runner for him right now -- his stats will go down next year even in the remote chance he stays healthy for another season in a row.

• Like 2

Stanton really lowered his K% significantly last year, if he sustains that he's more likely to get more hits and IMO a better BA so I'd rather have him. I don't think I'm taking either in round 1.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Stanton really lowered his K% significantly last year, if he sustains that he's more likely to get more hits and IMO a better BA so I'd rather have him. I don't think I'm taking either in round 1.

Neither am I. 

20 hours ago, dod959 said:

Hopefully he gets traded to literally anyone but the Giants. 

: )

• Like 2

10 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Cardinals wow. Imagine having Stanton AND Jose Martinez 

Trouble is Stanton has a 100% no trade contract so he can pick where he wants to go and apparently America's heartland is not first on his list.  He's a "coast' type of guy he basically said and would prefer to end up on either the east or west coasts. 

Please make it the west coast with SF so that they don't get my fantasy player -- JD Martinez -- instead.  And so my real life team in Boston doesn't do yet another stupid, mega-year over-the-top deal for an over-priced vet who will end up injured half the time.

Of course Miami would love to trade him to St Louis and that "young pitcher" they are dangling in front of the Marlins like a worm on the hook.  And if he wants a ring he'd want to go to a team like that too but I guess the guy likes ocean front views better.

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Trouble is Stanton has a 100% no trade contract so he can pick where he wants to go and apparently America's heartland is not first on his list.  He's a "coast' type of guy he basically said and would prefer to end up on either the east or west coasts. 

Please make it the west coast with SF so that they don't get my fantasy player -- JD Martinez -- instead.  And so my real life team in Boston doesn't do yet another stupid, mega-year over-the-top deal for an over-priced vet who will end up injured half the time.

Of course Miami would love to trade him to St Louis and that "young pitcher" they are dangling in front of the Marlins like a worm on the hook.  And if he wants a ring he'd want to go to a team like that too but I guess the guy likes ocean front views better.

QUESTION: Some reports say that Stanton may want to go to a West Coast team. Other reports (Jim Bowden) say he'd flat-out say "no" to STL. Is there any indication of this? Does St. Louis still have enough attractiveness for him to say "yes"?

GOOLD: To the best of my knowledge and some people who would be in the know that I have spoken to, Stanton has never articulated anything about St. Louis.

At most, he's offered up a preference or interest or musings about playing on the coast. That's not unusual. Hear that a lot from players and players around the players. Same thing with the Yankees. Some players want a chance to play for the Yankees. Remember back in 2004, a young switch-hitter with the Houston Astros talked about the kind of team he wanted to play for as a free agent and did everything but name the Yankees as that team. Of course, that player, Carlos Beltran, signed with the Mets. Things change when there is a contract put in front of them -- or an opportunity.

I do know that there has been some speculation about Stanton and St. Louis that is based only of the supposition by the writer/talker that Stanton couldn't possibly want to be in a Midwest town in the middle of fly-over nowhere like St. Louis. Whatever that means. I hear such things a lot. They're guesses, often rooted in that person's opinions, not the player's. Presumptions abound this time of year.

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He's on a coast now. If the Cardinals are offering a much better trade than the Giants (which is likely because the Giants have nothing),  the Marlins should just not trade him if they arent getting the best deal.  

I see little to no chance he ends up on the Giants, their farm highlights consists of Heliot Ramos (Who is very young and raw and could be a bust in a year) and thats about it for enticing prospects.  You aren't trading Stanton for Tyler Beede. 

Edited by brockpapersizer

The Marlins do not want a 140m dollar payroll though. They feel to make money (new ownership) payroll needs to be somewhere around 85m. At least that is what I have been hearing on MLB.TV. Also it isn't a matter of what Miami can get for him as the NTC really hampers where they can trade him. Maybe as the off season progresses things change. 

What can the Cardinals offer to entice him? More money? Contract extension? A better chance of winning? 

I can really see the Cards going after Yelich/Ozuna more. Trading either or both should give the Marlins a better return of prospects. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

He's on a coast now. If the Cardinals are offering a much better trade than the Giants (which is likely because the Giants have nothing),  the Marlins should just not trade him if they arent getting the best deal.  

I see little to no chance he ends up on the Giants, their farm highlights consists of Heliot Ramos (Who is very young and raw and could be a bust in a year) and thats about it for enticing prospects.  You aren't trading Stanton for Tyler Beede. 

But Jeter says he wants to dump his salary asap.  That's the problem.  It is a salary dump first and foremost and Stanton holds all the cards as to what the  Marlins can get back.  And he wouldn't be exactly open to helping them get good players back as his top priority.

Posted a second after Low and Away.  Great minds, heh.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

If the Giants are the only team willing to take on the salary, I get it. If they aren't, they aren't getting him regardless of Stanton holding the cards.  A team is just not just going to give a superstar away for free if other teams are going to give actual value back. They'd be dumb to not hold him hostage until he agrees to go to a team that will give them something. 

Eh, I think Stanton is fine with staying in Miami.  It's on the coast after all.  :-) 

Though seriously he seems fine about spending his whole career in Miami.  He isn't the one asking to leave.  He is the one holding hostage the ownership that want him and his mega-contract to leave.  Those no trade contracts are insane.

20 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Eh, I think Stanton is fine with staying in Miami.  It's on the coast after all.  :-) 

Though seriously he seems fine about spending his whole career in Miami.  He isn't the one asking to leave.  He is the one holding hostage the ownership that want him and his mega-contract to leave.  Those no trade contracts are insane.

I think you underestimate how competitive these guys are. Sure, a career in Miami is nice, but I also think he's at the point in his career that if he could go to a contender or team that's close he'd want to. You only have so many chances as a pro athlete.  I do agree that he's more likely to stay in Miami than go to SF, especially if SF is just a salary dump which at this point it is.  Cards have prospects, Dodgers have prospects, Yankees have prospects, Braves have prospects... Red Sox and Cubs are a little wiped out, but i think their farms are still probably better than SF. 

5 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I think you underestimate how competitive these guys are. Sure, a career in Miami is nice, but I also think he's at the point in his career that if he could go to a contender or team that's close he'd want to. You only have so many chances as a pro athlete.  I do agree that he's more likely to stay in Miami than go to SF, especially if SF is just a salary dump which at this point it is.  Cards have prospects, Dodgers have prospects, Yankees have prospects, Braves have prospects... Red Sox and Cubs are a little wiped out, but i think their farms are still probably better than SF. 

In Boston they are saying it would take Andrew Benintendi or even Mookie Betts to get Stanton.  Hope they are not dumb enough to offer either one.

I don't think Stanton is old enough to be desperate for a ring yet.  When he hits free agency he may be but not until then.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

When he hits free agency he may be but not until then.

at 38?  He's already gotten paid.