kirkcameron

Gary Sanchez 2018 Outlook

6 minutes ago, sjs1890 said:

Easy avoid this year rookie mistake to draft a catcher in the 2nd round.

Never reach for C position.  Very rarely worth it.  Grab someone mid-late and watch the WW.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, heyeaglefn said:

Yankees probably acquire a catcher if I had to guess.  

They will have to wait a few more days to rent out Wilson Ramos who is due back this weekend or Monday but yeah I am sure they are busy talking with TB at this point.  They can pick up Archer at the same time.

FYI: 

Realmuto = 13 homers and .304 avg and would cost a small fortune. 

Ramos = 14 homers and .297 avg and as a FA this fall comes at rental price.  He also comes with experience in calling games against all the hitters in the AL East as well as hitting against their pitchers.  (Still 10 games left against Boston).

.194 BABIP.  K rate slightly up to 24.0% from 22.9%, but walk rate also up from 7.6% to 11.1%.  ISO still strong at .229 (.253 last year).

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say after his DL stint he's gonna heat up again. 

If his prior two seasons are any indication, he's been more of a second half player hitting 20 HR in the second half during the last two seasons. 

I wouldn't expect him to rebound his BA very much, but ending the season around .250 with 25ish HR doesn't seem unrealistic if he can return from the DL before the end of August. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RenegadeGM said:

.194 BABIP.  K rate slightly up to 24.0% from 22.9%, but walk rate also up from 7.6% to 11.1%.  ISO still strong at .229 (.253 last year).

The BABIP is so low because of the shift this year as teams have done it much more against Gary. Gary has tried to pull everything so thats a big, big problem, adjustments need to be made... 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, chud12 said:

The BABIP is so low because of the shift this year as teams have done it much more against Gary. Gary has tried to pull everything so thats a big, big problem, adjustments need to be made... 

According to Fangraphs shifts splits:

vs No Shift: .135/.230/.363 in 74 AB

vs Shift: .244/.322/.4567 in 90 AB

I can't figure out why all his ABs aren't accounted for, though.  Maybe I'm missing something.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RenegadeGM said:

According to Fangraphs shifts splits:

vs No Shift: .135/.230/.363 in 74 AB

vs Shift: .244/.322/.4567 in 90 AB

I can't figure out why all his ABs aren't accounted for, though.  Maybe I'm missing something.

Fangraphs shift splits only include balls in play. Kind of annoying, because obviously a hitter may change his approach against a shift which will affect his BB/K/HR numbers too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Fangraphs shift splits only include balls in play. Kind of annoying, because obviously a hitter may change his approach against a shift which will affect his BB/K/HR numbers too.

Thanks.  That makes sense.  I knew walks weren't making up all of the difference.

I don't watch the Yankess every day, so I trust the eyes of those that do.  Still, the stats say it can't all be the shift.  Overall, I think he's been unlucky to some extent, and hasn't been healthy.  But no doubt, there's adjustments to be made.

On 8/21/2018 at 5:37 PM, urban2014 said:

Set for a rehab assignment 

I think he is back for the Tiger series Thursday, I am rolling him out in my weekly. I mean in my 2 C league, Hedges is like having a dead body starting for me right now......

• Haha 1

On 8/26/2018 at 8:02 AM, CraftyRighty said:

I think he is back for the Tiger series Thursday, I am rolling him out in my weekly. I mean in my 2 C league, Hedges is like having a dead body starting for me right now......

Saturday the earliest.  

21 minutes ago, Ratso1022 said:

According to Michael Kay, Aaron Boone said Gary Sanchez should be activated Saturday. 

Active is a relative term with this clown

32 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

Active is a relative term with this clown

He was on pace for a 30-90 season before he first hurt his groin.  Not bad for a catcher having a bad season.   I’ll take that production going forward.  I’ve had to use John Hicks and Taylor Ward as fill ins. 

Edited by Ratso1022
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ratso1022 said:

He just can’t be a regular catcher anymore.   I think Severino wants to strangle him.   He is pathetic.  

His hitting is not any better this year.  Had one decent stretch and has stunk it up for the rest...similar to Bird actually though not as awful.  Guy has head issues imo\can't handle criticism or adversity well.  Might do OK playing in a small market where every mistake is not looked at through a microscope, but the way things are going, what incentive do the Yanks have to continue long term with a bad defensive C that hits around the Mendoza line and hits an occasional HR?  A poor man's Mike Zunino in other words.

Edited by secretagentman

12 hours ago, Ratso1022 said:

He just can’t be a regular catcher anymore.   I think Severino wants to strangle him.   He is pathetic.  

this

yanks have a serious problem.  they might have to play stanton everyday in the field next year because sanchez cant even catch twice a week anymore.

13 hours ago, secretagentman said:

His hitting is not any better this year.  Had one decent stretch and has stunk it up for the rest...similar to Bird actually though not as awful.  Guy has head issues imo\can't handle criticism or adversity well.  Might do OK playing in a small market where every mistake is not looked at through a microscope, but the way things are going, what incentive do the Yanks have to continue long term with a bad defensive C that hits around the Mendoza line and hits an occasional HR?  A poor man's Mike Zunino in other words.

Mike Zunino is as poor of a hitter as you’ll ever see.  Both their averages are about the same pathetic mark, but Sanchez has .60+ point higher OPS.  He has a much better hit tool, and in most years will have 150-200+ point higher OPS than the horrific loser Zunino.  But defensively it’s not close.  Gary can’t catch anymore.  He’s making an a** out of himself regularly with how bad he is.  You hate to take that bat potential away from a weak offensive position and place it somewhere where it becomes average.  But Yanks may not have a choice anymore.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, lehighterp said:

He did hit a two run bomb last night! :) I need him to come through for me in the playoffs! I'm keeping hope! :D

that's because I criticized him.  Always happens.   I said Story wasn't a legit MVP candidate and look at last night.

BTW'    Votto should retire.    Murphy and Greinke have been lucky this year.   just saying.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Mike Zunino is as poor of a hitter as you’ll ever see.  Both their averages are about the same pathetic mark, but Sanchez has .60+ point higher OPS.  He has a much better hit tool, and in most years will have 150-200+ point higher OPS than the horrific loser Zunino.  But defensively it’s not close.  Gary can’t catch anymore.  He’s making an a** out of himself regularly with how bad he is.  You hate to take that bat potential away from a weak offensive position and place it somewhere where it becomes average.  But Yanks may not have a choice anymore.  

While I agree with most of that, the norm for Sanchez OPS-wise is really indeterminate at this point imo.  People can talk all they want that he is not a 190 hitter, yada yada.  You hear the same said about Bird.  Sanchez's career simply has not been long enough to know where it ends up landing, esp. when you factor in that he has basically gone backwards in the past 3 years.  A LOT of that imo has to do with what is between his ears.  A player does not become lousier defensively for no apparent reason.  Slumps occur with the bat, but they really should never happen like this with the glove.

5 hours ago, secretagentman said:

While I agree with most of that, the norm for Sanchez OPS-wise is really indeterminate at this point imo.  People can talk all they want that he is not a 190 hitter, yada yada.  You hear the same said about Bird.  Sanchez's career simply has not been long enough to know where it ends up landing, esp. when you factor in that he has basically gone backwards in the past 3 years.  A LOT of that imo has to do with what is between his ears.  A player does not become lousier defensively for no apparent reason.  Slumps occur with the bat, but they really should never happen like this with the glove.

disagree with you offensively.

he hit 20 homers in 200 ABs in 2016 and followed it up with 33 homers and 90 rbi last year after missing april.  thats 55 homeruns in 650 at bats+

my issue with him is that outside of his throwing arm, hes an atrocious catcher

5 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

disagree with you offensively.

he hit 20 homers in 200 ABs in 2016 and followed it up with 33 homers and 90 rbi last year after missing april.  thats 55 homeruns in 650 at bats+

my issue with him is that outside of his throwing arm, hes an atrocious catcher

His OPS went from 1.032 in 2016, to .876 in 2017 to .694 this year.  That is not improving, that is regressing.  He played 1/2 a season in 2016, almost a full season in 2017, and is on pace to maybe get in a little better than half a season this year.  Is he the hitter he was in 2016...obviously not.  Is he close to the hitter he was in 2017...maybe, but 400 or so ABs does not make him that hitter any more than 263 ABs make him Mendoza line material this year.  Maybe this year is a career worst year...or maybe it is the continuation of a trend downwards due to his inability to adjust to shifts, make adjustments to pitchers and the fact that he obviously has issues going on between his ears imo.  How that all plays out is anyone's guess.  He could end up bouncing back next season or he could be heading into oblivion.

As to his defense, that ship has sailed imo.  You  can not play a catcher that cannot catch the ball.  Simple as that really.  We always hear how he is working on it and looks good, yada yada yada.  And when he gets back he ends up being worse than before in that respect.  Either the Yanks have the worst catching coaches in the league or this guy just has problems.

Edited by secretagentman