kirkcameron

Gary Sanchez 2018 Outlook

1 minute ago, MugsyBogues said:

Agree with people and Posey, but I never thought Posey had the upside of Gary (maybe I'm wrong, though). Taking catchers is never something I like to do, but Sanchez seems to me to be an entirely different animal. Plus, always nice to have a C that gets to DH on off days. 

ya theres few factors I'm going through to say this isn't Posey all over again

more power

better surrounding cast

better home ballpark

DH on days he isn't behind the dish

I just always would rip the guy in my league and many leagues have one who take Posey 10 picks too early with the position scarcity angle in the past and I have won titles with guys like Perez or Molina behind the dish

Edited by XxxOilOverloadxxX
  • Like 1

I can see Gary having a huge year, even with the off days. I believe he is capable of a .280/42/120 season and I'll take that potential in the second round for sure especially at his position. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavaman said:

I keep thinking how he reminds me of Mike Piazza back in the day, and how people would reach to draft him early for his offensive numbers at that catcher slot.

2nd Rounder ? And for probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-33 HR's with a pretty decent BA.

Yes please.

But I won't reach.

You realize Gary missed a month last year right?  I think 35 hrs is his floor this year. 

52 minutes ago, chud12 said:

You realize Gary missed a month last year right?  I think 35 hrs is his floor this year. 

Wow. Maybe.

He could in all reality hit 40 HR's no problem. But I'm factoring the brutal position he plays and consequential missed games.

I'd agree 35 is a floor if he stays healthy the whole year. Also completely anecdotal, but I can see him coming out with something to prove this year being in the shadow of Judge and Stanton. His RBI potential is massive. He is one of the few players I would reach for just to get that positional advantage because it's absolutely gargantuan. He is Gary. 

Fun fact, in his first 175 games Gary has smashed 53 bombs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DannyMcPot said:

I'd agree 35 is a floor if he stays healthy the whole year. Also completely anecdotal, but I can see him coming out with something to prove this year being in the shadow of Judge and Stanton. His RBI potential is massive. He is one of the few players I would reach for just to get that positional advantage because it's absolutely gargantuan. He is Gary. 

Fun fact, in his first 175 games Gary has smashed 53 bombs. 

This. Love him. Huge advantage at catcher. Late 2nd round / early 3rd?

30 minutes ago, RotoGenius said:

happy le'veon bell GIF by Gatorade

26 minutes ago, RotoGenius said:

I'm personally doing a dance if I have the opportunity to draft him in the 3rd. I could see reaching for him as high as mid 2nd depending on your strategy. The advantage potential is too good for me to pass up. He could deliver first round numbers at catcher lol

28 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

I'm personally doing a dance if I have the opportunity to draft him in the 3rd. I could see reaching for him as high as mid 2nd depending on your strategy. The advantage potential is too good for me to pass up. He could deliver first round numbers at catcher lol

I don't like catchers early, in general. Perhaps he is a special case, but it's not like he's a full-time DH who may or may not play a little catcher; 104/122 of his games were at C. More injuries, more rest.

Are you not drafting one of the top 4 SPs before him? Bellinger, Rizzo, Ramirez?

10 hours ago, RotoGenius said:

I don't like catchers early, in general. Perhaps he is a special case, but it's not like he's a full-time DH who may or may not play a little catcher; 104/122 of his games were at C. More injuries, more rest.

Are you not drafting one of the top 4 SPs before him? Bellinger, Rizzo, Ramirez?

I think you can definitely make a case for Sanchez ahead of those guys depending on your strategy/league type. In 2C/dynasty leagues I'm gunning for Sanchez with my second pick, idc where it is. Even with his off days, his production is so head and shoulders above the rest of the league.

And considering how deep 1B is, you can make an argument for Sanchez over Bellinger or Rizzo. I'd take Bellinger there fwiw.

I also never draft top pitching and never try to predict injuries. I'm taking guys on pure talent/upside/situation/positional value. And Sanchez has all four in spades. 

3 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

I think you can definitely make a case for Sanchez ahead of those guys depending on your strategy/league type. In 2C/dynasty leagues I'm gunning for Sanchez with my second pick, idc where it is. Even with his off days, his production is so head and shoulders above the rest of the league.

And considering how deep 1B is, you can make an argument for Sanchez over Bellinger or Rizzo. I'd take Bellinger there fwiw.

I also never draft top pitching and never try to predict injuries. I'm taking guys on pure talent/upside/situation/positional value. And Sanchez has all four in spades. 

I don't disagree. I just don't think it's laughable to think he's more of a late 2nd guy.

5x5 redraft, where would you draft these numbers?

278/35/85/100/3

This is the floor! The freakin floor of very scarce position with these types of numbers. And these numbers are 140 games

pick 17-25 all day long!

I was always the guy who made sure to draft the 12th ranked C with BA or SB upside, bit this year!

I’m excited about him in a full season too. But .275 really isn’t the floor if you look at his batted ball profile; that number night actually be closer to his ceiling. You really draft him for the HR, R, and RBI but what if his BA is the same as every other catcher? I wonder how that affects his value.

Edited by UberRebel

Gary Sanchez basically saved one of my teams last year.

It was an awful draft.  The King was Kingly that day.  I bought Kinsler, Madbum, Bautista, Harper.  All of whom sucked or got hurt for big chunks.  

But Gary Sanchez really saved me.  When you get production from Catcher and nobody else is, it is a big plus.  Problem is Gary went for around $20 last year and this year he will probably be at least 40.00, I can even see him breaking $45.  That's a lot to pay.

This guy is a stud. Best catcher since Mike Piazza and ya'll can quote me on that.

This is tough for me because I've been hard wired to avoid catchers until the 2nd half of 20+ round snake drafts.

But his raw [PROJECTED] numbers make him a pick in the top 2 rounds of a 12-team draft regardless of position. 

Tough choice to say the least.

4 hours ago, UberRebel said:

I’m excited about him in a full season too. But .275 really isn’t the floor if you look at his batted ball profile; that number night actually be closer to his ceiling. You really draft him for the HR, R, and RBI but what if his BA is the same as every other catcher? I wonder how that affects his value.

.275 definitely isn't the floor but it's also definitely not the ceiling. I think anywhere from .265-.280 is a reasonable projection for his BA this season. 

7 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Now moved up to number 23 overall on Yahoo

the hype is out of control?

I really don't think so, but obviously some people will disagree.  I know I read an article lately (I think ESPN's Catcher preview) where all the people in it said they wouldn't draft Sanchez and would wait, but I can definitely still see drafting him early enough to get an advantage at the position.  I have him in a keeper league, so that's moot, but still.

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

I really don't think so, but obviously some people will disagree.  I know I read an article lately (I think ESPN's Catcher preview) where all the people in it said they wouldn't draft Sanchez and would wait, but I can definitely still see drafting him early enough to get an advantage at the position.  I have him in a keeper league, so that's moot, but still.

i initially felt this way too.

but over the last week or so ive changed my mind.  even in a 1 catcher league, i think im comfortable taking Sanchez in the 2nd now based on all the mocks and the few real drafts ive done.

i actually think i have him ranked higher than Judge now

I took him at #16 in a 1-C H2H 5x5 with OBP instead of AVG, because YOLO.  

I think the projections on him are light because they are based on like 470 AB's, because catcher.  But what these projections fail to take into account is that Sanchez had 471 AB's in basically 5 months last year, due to missing April with an injury.  That projects to like 565 AB's over a full season.  The Yankees keep this guy in the lineup, and when he's not catching he's DHing.  

It's a big plus being an OBP league as well for Sanchez, with his .353 career OBP.  He's an all-around smart hitter with a good walk rate.  If they keep DHing him as often as last year he has a real shot at breaking 40 HR and 100+ RBI, with a .350+ OBP, and all at catcher!  Other players with similar projections / profiles to that have 2nd/3rd round ADP's, at deep positions like 1B and OF.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

I took him at #16 in a 1-C H2H 5x5 with OBP instead of AVG, because YOLO.  

I think the projections on him are light because they are based on like 470 AB's, because catcher.  But what these projections fail to take into account is that Sanchez had 471 AB's in basically 5 months last year, due to missing April with an injury.  That projects to like 565 AB's over a full season.  The Yankees keep this guy in the lineup, and when he's not catching he's DHing.  

It's a big plus being an OBP league as well for Sanchez, with his .353 career OBP.  He's an all-around smart hitter with a good walk rate.  If they keep DHing him as often as last year he has a real shot at breaking 40 HR and 100+ RBI, with a .350+ OBP, and all at catcher!  Other players with similar projections / profiles to that have 2nd/3rd round ADP's, at deep positions like 1B and OF.  

i agree....hes having a big spring to

40 hr is really not out of the question.  and with judge and stanton in front of him hes gonna have a lot of ducks on the pond.  110, 120 rbi is NOT out of the question

my only concern is he may not get the DH at bats with the acquisition of Stanton and their crowded outfield.  but hes so good i hope they put him above everyone else

Edited by jfazz23
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

my only concern is he may not get the DH at bats with the acquisition of Stanton and their crowded outfield.  but hes so good i hope they put him above everyone else

Last year he started 99 of 119 games played at C, so he basically DH'ed once a week, which is about in-line with the standard catcher regiment of taking a day off from behind the plate per week.  OF is crowded, but when it really comes down to it you're talking about sitting 2 of the trio of Gardner/Ellsbury/Hicks once a week so that Stanton can slide into the OF, which I don't think is that much to ask.  Gardner and Ellsbury are getting up there in age and could use some days off as well, and Sanchez is clearly the more dangerous hitter, so it makes sense to have him DH when he can.  I'd also think it's logical to get Stanton in the field once a week to keep the rust off his glove, just in case he needs to play there more often if injuries pile up.

Maybe that's hopeful thinking, but at least under Girardi, the team seemed to want to get Sanchez's bat in the lineup as much as they could.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

Last year he started 99 of 119 games played at C, so he basically DH'ed once a week, which is about in-line with the standard catcher regiment of taking a day off from behind the plate per week.  OF is crowded, but when it really comes down to it you're talking about sitting 2 of the trio of Gardner/Ellsbury/Hicks once a week so that Stanton can slide into the OF, which I don't think is that much to ask.  Gardner and Ellsbury are getting up there in age and could use some days off as well, and Sanchez is clearly the more dangerous hitter, so it makes sense to have him DH when he can.  I'd also think it's logical to get Stanton in the field once a week to keep the rust off his glove, just in case he needs to play there more often if injuries pile up.

Maybe that's hopeful thinking, but at least under Girardi, the team seemed to want to get Sanchez's bat in the lineup as much as they could.

ya this is what im thinking....have hicks gardner or ellsbury play center and stanton and judge in the corners once or twice a week so Sanchez can DH

i agree

I just picked him in the 3rd round of a 12 team startup dynasty league. I had #2 overall pick and took Correa, then went Jose Ramirez/ Gary Sanchez at the turn with my next 2 picks. I was thrilled to get Sanchez there. He's having a great spring so far....hopefully it carries right on into the regular season.

• Like 2