brockpapersizer

Ozzie Albies 2018 Outlook

12 hours ago, merlin401 said:

Well several people have responded similarly now so I guess I’ll respond: I agree my post was a bit too hyperbolic, but yes I think the breadth of body types and sizes that can excel as baseball is far far more varied than the other sports.  

Baseball is the most varied of any sport because you can get guys who look like they spend more time working on their beer gut than on their game who become All-Stars.

Lots of other sports have a wide variety of sizes and body types including soccer (ranging from low 5 foot players to high 6 foot players), hockey (similar range but fewer small players) and football (ranging by position from tiny punt returners and rbs to giant linemen and wide receivers).  

On 4/17/2018 at 10:02 AM, LarryChip10 said:

There is just something special in this kid. I can’t remember a guy who looks to be having this much fun and utilizing his insane quickness/speed to make plays other can’t. Braves homerism aside, don’t underestimate Ozzie! (Nobody predicted Lindor’s power surge when he came up, was a touted glove that figured to hit “enough” and steal some bags.)

When Acuna settles into the lineup, Ozzie will have even more protection. A line of .272/96/22/72/29 is my bold prediction for 2018. Switch hitting that comes natural from both sides is a huge advantage given the evolution of the bullpen. 

I repent, my boy may have this by the ASB. We love you Ozzie, keep having fun and make good choices!

• Like 1

No HR in tomorrow night's game and I'm finally selling high... ;)

1 hour ago, TomBradysCollegeRoommate said:

Double, triple, and 2 runs tonight. Just another night for Ozzie The Great

And on his double, he missed by 2 feet a leadoff HR!

• Like 1

We looking at a top 10 keeper? Or Ultimate sell high? OBP kinda low.

Edited by TTRA1N

7 hours ago, TTRA1N said:

He's a 21 year old second baseman, and on a full season pace of 116 XBH, and we're a quarter into the season. What do you think?

Did anyone actually trade him for Robinson Cano earlier this year? We chatted about it a lot in this thread.

That would be a nausea inducing move right about now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

In keeper leagues I don't know how you can sell him unless you get a gross overpay. Even with the low OBP he looks way too promising a hitter to lose out on the next several years. 

• Like 1

He would be the top 2b keeper in my book unless if you can get Altuve. And if you were in an auction keeper where Albies price is low compared to an expensive Altuve, I rather keep Albies.

I feel stupid trading him in a redraft league so i can't imagine people not asking for the moon in a keeper. 

On 4/20/2018 at 12:13 PM, Red Sox Nation said:

Altuve, J-Ram, Dozier, D.Gordon for sure. Murphy whenever he comes back will be better ROS, and Cano is too consistent to not put ahead of Albies. Then you have guys like Schoop, Merrifield, and LeMahieu you can make a case for. 2nd base is pretty deep. I think Albies will represent a clear profit, but it'll be tough for him to break into the top 5. 

I'll own up to being wrong. I was wayyyy off here (hey I did say he'd offer a clear profit at least). While Albies is only hitting .257 with a .294 OBP since this post, he's piled up 6 doubles, 1 triple, 7 homers, 19 rbi's, 20 runs, and 5 steals in 23 games. He seems to be a stat machine. Even if he doesn't do a good job of getting on base, hitting leadoff in a good lineup ahead of Acuna/Freeman should keep the counting stats high. I'm still putting Altuve and J-Ram over him, but he's going to be a lot better than I originally thought. Glad I've hung on, and kudos to anyone else that did. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, dan said:

It's a shame that Ozzie doesn't have a shot at the ROY.

? Oh, because he played in the bigs last year?

Edited by cdd10

5 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

? Oh, because he played in the bigs last year?

Yeah, just a LITTLE too many ab's before this year. Otherwise, . . .

1 hour ago, dan said:

He'll have to settle for NL MVP.  :D

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, AHF said:

He'll have to settle for NL MVP.  :D

Yeah, right, I'd be happy with him being the starting 2nd baseman for the NL in the all-star game. But, that usually doesn't happen right away for the new guys.

5 hours ago, dan said:

Indeed.  While it really doesn't matter in the end, he would have ran away with the award (no pun intended).

Remember when everyone used to rush to post the next Albies dong? Man we've grown used to that. 

Also. You Member when the most optimistic projection was 15 home runs. Well he's at 14 

:wub:

• Like 1