brockpapersizer

Ozzie Albies 2018 Outlook

Let's recap, shall we?

• Trade discussions are not allowed in the main forums.
  • Value discussions are allowed, but extended debates about players who are not the subject of the thread are not permitted.
  • Back and forth arguments that restate the same point multiple times are discouraged.
  • Calling someone who disagrees a "hater" or describing them as "butthurt" is inflammatory and condescending, and violates the Prime Directive (civil and respectful)
  • Disparaging someone else's league by saying "I wish I could play in an easy league full of idiots" is not allowed.
  • Tangential discussions of general fantasy strategy should be kept to a minimum. If it starts to become more than that, take it to PM.

Offending posts have been deleted. Most of them were by members who have been repeatedly reminded of the rules, and this is a friendly warning: For some of you the days when the mods "Delete and move on" are past. I'm not calling anyone out by name, but if you suspect it might be you, you're probably right. It gets tiresome removing posts...it's a lot quicker to remove posters..

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Remember he is still very young and new to MLB, seems like pitchers figuring out his weakness, and now its the time he will have to prove he can adjust. Further, he been hitting way above his expectations.... Correction is about to occur. I still think he going to be great but the pace he been on past month or so is just too insane.

7 hours ago, DJSatane said:

Remember he is still very young and new to MLB, seems like pitchers figuring out his weakness, and now its the time he will have to prove he can adjust. Further, he been hitting way above his expectations.... Correction is about to occur. I still think he going to be great but the pace he been on past month or so is just too insane.

Something to keep in mind is that his expectation was to hit .300.  His swing path coupled with juiced balls is going to provide more HRs than we thought, but I would say that hitting .270 with all these strikeouts is below expectations.  

As someone who watches almost all of Albies' AB's, its time to trade him in redraft and find a fill in until he makes adjustments in a keeper/dynasty.  He refuses to lay off the pitches up and up/out of the zone.  He may be HR happy or something, but he's definitely a detriment to a fantasy team right now. 

1 hour ago, yankees77 said:

So are we riding this slump out or looking to sell high? 

It's actually gotten to the point where I'm casually seeing what I can get for him in my keeper league, but it's not like he's a complete fluke.  He's still a pretty good hitter, even if the amount of HR's was a bit of a fluke at this stage of his career.  I doubt he's going to keep doing this forever and not adjust.  If I don't get something really good back for him, I see no reason in selling still.

1 hour ago, motown magic said:

High? That ship may have sailed 

He's now solidly ranked as a top 40-50 player in ROS rankings. Right around Yelich, Carrasco, or Pham. Might even be able to climb the ladder to get someone struggling like Goldie or Rizzo.

He hit the ball hard a couple times today, unfortunately for outs.

Well there's a positive sign 

I don't know about you but those hard hit balls may have been k's for that matter. It's the same as a ball being caught up against the fence . It's still an out . 

Hits are what we are looking for. Hits . Not hard outs 

Edited by motown magic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

I look for approach and good at bats.  If he's hitting the ball well, the numbers will follow.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Yanks#1 said:

Can someone worship the BABIP voodoo Albies?

It would greatly appreciated.  14 runs on 18 hits and he goes 1 for 5 with a run scored.

The one positive during this whole slump is the fact that he's not striking out much.  I'd actually be more worried if he was, because that would be a sign he's completely lost at the plate.

It was pretty much a given that the power wouldn't last at the pace he was on, but yeesh.  Is some of it just bad luck right now?  I watched an AB or two of his last night, but otherwise I don't get much chance to.  Even with this, he's managed to stick in the Top 20 though.

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

It would greatly appreciated.  14 runs on 18 hits and he goes 1 for 5 with a run scored.

The one positive during this whole slump is the fact that he's not striking out much.  I'd actually be more worried if he was, because that would be a sign he's completely lost at the plate.

It was pretty much a given that the power wouldn't last at the pace he was on, but yeesh.  Is some of it just bad luck right now?  I watched an AB or two of his last night, but otherwise I don't get much chance to.  Even with this, he's managed to stick in the Top 20 though.

At least he seems to semi consistently be scoring runs.  He  hasn't been total garbage during his slump.

2016 MLB Scouting Grades and Report

Ozzie Albies slap hitting middle infielder:
Team: Atlanta Braves ETA: 2018 Position: SS/2BAge: 21 DOB: 01/07/1997 Bats: S Throws: RHeight: 5' 8" Weight: 165 lb. Signed: July 2, 2013 - ATLOther Lists: Top 30 Atlanta Braves Prospects (#2), Top 10 SS Prospects (#5)

Watch

Scouting grades: Hit: 60 | Power: 20 | Run: 70 | Arm: 60 | Field: 55 | Overall: 60

• Haha 1

On 6/4/2018 at 12:47 AM, motown magic said:

Well there's a positive sign 

I don't know about you but those hard hit balls may have been k's for that matter. It's the same as a ball being caught up against the fence . It's still an out . 

Hits are what we are looking for. Hits . Not hard outs 

Contender for worst post of the year. He's still making enough hard contact and not striking out that I've no worries about him. He is more of a 25HR guy anyway, just hoping for more steals soon thats my only gripe.

• Sad 1

On 6/3/2018 at 12:56 PM, yankees77 said:

So are we riding this slump out or looking to sell high? 

Generally you don't want to sell during the worst slump of a players career, but you can still get a pretty awesome return in most keeper formats.

In redraft tje time to sell was a month ago

1 hour ago, swfcdan said:

Contender for worst post of the year. He's still making enough hard contact and not striking out that I've no worries about him. He is more of a 25HR guy anyway, just hoping for more steals soon thats my only gripe.

Looks like I'm not the only one that feels this way . Maybe you should take the time to copy and paste your remarks to me and SEVERAL others ?

5 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

This is absolutely true.  The problem, and the cause for the slump, is that he hasnt changed his approach.  He has two major problems:

1.  He can't/wont lay off pitches that are up in the zone. 

2.  He won't level out his swing

He has a huge uppercut in his swing, right now he only has a shot at pitches low in the zone and opposing pitchers know that.  If there is decreased power behind hit all he is going to do is pop out/fly out.  He needs to hit more line drives.  I watch 95% or more of his AB's and pitchers are just pounding him up in the zone.  Up and in, middle up, up and away, it doesnt matter, he swings.  The one hit he got last night was on a pitch up and a way that he had no business swinging at, he just got lucky.

He needs to level out his swing and put less air under the ball and we would start seeing some gap hits instead of fly outs. 

• Like 1

He can’t even get a hit off some nobody Padres pitcher.  Appreciate the early season beast mode but I’ve had enough.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, KJ12345 said:

This is absolutely true.  The problem, and the cause for the slump, is that he hasnt changed his approach.  He has two major problems:

1.  He can't/wont lay off pitches that are up in the zone. 

2.  He won't level out his swing

He has a huge uppercut in his swing, right now he only has a shot at pitches low in the zone and opposing pitchers know that.  If there is decreased power behind hit all he is going to do is pop out/fly out.  He needs to hit more line drives.  I watch 95% or more of his AB's and pitchers are just pounding him up in the zone.  Up and in, middle up, up and away, it doesnt matter, he swings.  The one hit he got last night was on a pitch up and a way that he had no business swinging at, he just got lucky.

He needs to level out his swing and put less air under the ball and we would start seeing some gap hits instead of fly outs. 

Maybe hitting all of these HR's, while obviously awesome for us, helped cause this?  I always thought he had a nice swing prior to this season (as in not swinging with a huge uppercut).

I've been really high on him ever since late last season, as I stated multiple times in this thread before the season and really early on this season, but more for his XBH ability and obviously his speed.  We're unfortunately getting none of that right now.

Obviously I'm not giving up on him, especially since it's a keeper league, but a month ago I would have ignored all trade offers for him.  The grip may be loosening a bit now...

• Like 1