brockpapersizer

Jose Martinez 2018 Outlook

Edwin Magnifico was third in the league in xWOBA behind only Judge and Votto.  What are we expecting in 2018?  He has the inside track to start for them at 1st base and will have 1b/OF eligibility. Obviously more valuable in deeper leagues because of how deep 1b is, as well as how plentiful power is, but he could be a productive CI option.

A 29 year old with a total of ~300 major league plate appearances who's blocked at several positions from regular playing time? 

This is an add-to-watchlist player at best.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

A 29 year old with a total of ~300 major league plate appearances who's blocked at several positions from regular playing time? 

This is an add-to-watchlist player at best.

Depends on league size.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Are you saying Martinez could end up full time at 1B this year with St Louis?  Would Carpenter move to 2B?  Is Wong out?

I think Carpenter, Gyorko, or even Jose Martinez probably gets traded

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2017 at 1:32 PM, brockpapersizer said:

I think Carpenter, Gyorko, or even Jose Martinez probably gets traded

I dunno why you think Carp or Gyorko could be on the move. If anything they will trade an OF, I don't think they will do a TON of tinkering.

4 minutes ago, jimbo504 said:

I dunno why you think Carp or Gyorko could be on the move. If anything they will trade an OF, I don't think they will do a TON of tinkering.

There have been a lot of carpenter trade rumors from what I’ve seen.

Cardinals playing time situation everywhere is such a question mark.  

Maybe Spring Training will clear things up.

• Like 1

Carpenter is only going downhill from here. They're saying he's a super utility guy at best next year.   They should move him if they can.

On 11/15/2017 at 6:28 PM, STLSU said:

Carpenter is only going downhill from here. They're saying he's a super utility guy at best next year.   They should move him if they can.

Far from accurate. Carpenter is still an everyday player, and will get his full slate of ABs. 

2 hours ago, Travis Burten said:

Far from accurate. Carpenter is still an everyday player, and will get his full slate of ABs. 

Carpenter told to prepare for utility role / Cards going after Hosmer 

Where did I mention at-bats . . . 

Inaccurate characterization of another user's post is highly annoying.

On 11/8/2017 at 8:57 AM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Are you saying Martinez could end up full time at 1B this year with St Louis?  Would Carpenter move to 2B?  Is Wong out?

Carp has become a liability offensively and defensively. Absolutely no way he can be In the MI.  Wong is not,getting moved with that contract and he has the skill but just hasn’t connected it all.   gyorko is an all around good ball player, nothing bad about him. 

Jose Martinez could definitely begin there but the cardinals have so many scenarios they could use that it is hard to predict 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2017 at 9:54 PM, STLSU said:

Carpenter told to prepare for utility role / Cards going after Hosmer 

Where did I mention at-bats . . . 

Inaccurate characterization of another user's post is highly annoying.

On 11/18/2017 at 7:47 PM, Travis Burten said:

Not for the Cardinals he wont, and mathenys done also if carp plays everyday

• Like 1

On 11/10/2017 at 11:24 PM, jimbo504 said:

I thimk fairly major moves are on the way very very soon.

2 years of no October baseball.

DeWitt can’t be in his,office saying we looked decent last year. We made so many fundamental errors, we can’t sac bunt well. The Bullpen was so so poor they shouldn’t even be paid.  

Time to hold people responsible even if your were around 4 and 5years ago. 

• Like 1

On 11/21/2017 at 5:22 AM, zstlj said:

I thimk fairly major moves are on the way very very soon.

2 years of no October baseball.

DeWitt can’t be in his,office saying we looked decent last year. We made so many fundamental errors, we can’t sac bunt well. The Bullpen was so so poor they shouldn’t even be paid.  

Time to hold people responsible even if your were around 4 and 5years ago. 

I'm kind of curious if the Cards kick the tires on Girardi.  Problem is, if it's true that Girardi has issues communicating with the younger players (he seems well spoken on TV so maybe he is too intense?  lol), that is one of the indictments on Matheny as well.

I also see a big move coming for a bat.

I really hope they keep DeJong around.  I think he is only going to improve with selectivity.

My theory has always been that players should worry about the walks later and concentrate on getting good pitches to hit/knowing their swing earlier in their career.  I can't hold that against DeJong.

• Like 1

Just now, STLSU said:

I'm kind of curious if the Cards kick the tires on Girardi.  Problem is, if it's true that Girardi has issues communicating with the younger players (he seems well spoken on TV so maybe he is too intense?  lol), that is one of the indictments on Matheny as well.

I also see a big move coming for a bat.

I honestly have a tough time speculating on what they will do. They can go so many different ways I’m not sure what they will do, but I do think you will see multiple big time moves

Just now, STLSU said:

I really hope they keep DeJong around.  I think he is only going to improve with selectivity.

My theory has always been that players should worry about the walks later and concentrate on getting good pitches to hit/knowing their swing earlier in their career.  I can't hold that against DeJong.

De Jong is staying forsure. 

• Like 1

Looks like if Stanton goes to the Cardinals maybe Jose will be moving too:

According to Venezuelan journalist Wilmer Reina, the Marlins have shown interest in Jose Martinez as part of a return package from the Cardinals in trade talks for Giancarlo Stanton.

According to Jon Morosi of MLB.com, Wilmer Reina is reporting that the Marlins are also showing interest in Michael Wacha. However, it's believed that prospect right-hander Sandy Alcantara would be the headliner of any deal for Stanton. Martinez is not exactly a youngster at 29 years old, but he surprised this past season with 14 homers and an .897 OPS in 106 games. Perhaps most importantly for the Marlins, he's still inexpensive. The Cardinals are still alive in talks for Stanton, though it's unclear whether he would waive his no-trade clause to come to St. Louis.

Of course Stanton making up his mind going anywhere could take the rest of the winter and he still wants to go to California.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

I can’t even 

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/st-louis-cardinals-sabermetrics-analysis/2018/1/22/16907720/cardinals-jose-martinez-upside-first-base-xwoba-joey-votto-giancarlo-stanton

lots of ridiculous lines in here , but my favorite is 

“So what I’m saying is that Jose Martinez isn’t actually better than Willie Mays—he is actually exactly as good as Willie Mays.”

On 1/23/2018 at 12:22 PM, brockpapersizer said:

I can’t even 

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/st-louis-cardinals-sabermetrics-analysis/2018/1/22/16907720/cardinals-jose-martinez-upside-first-base-xwoba-joey-votto-giancarlo-stanton

lots of ridiculous lines in here , but my favorite is 

“So what I’m saying is that Jose Martinez isn’t actually better than Willie Mays—he is actually exactly as good as Willie Mays.”

George-Costanza-What.gif

• Haha 2