brockpapersizer

Jose Martinez 2018 Outlook

After last nights outburst and not including today‚Äôs game he pushed his way to 4th on the player rater for 1b ūüĎÄ

• Like 1

Just leapfrogged a bunch of 1st baseman into 2nd in my points league. Please keep this launch angle going Jose!

• Like 1

It's like witnessing the birth of your son. He's been more productive than Bryant. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

It's like witnessing the birth of your son. He's been more productive than Bryant. 

He couldn't hold Bryant's jock (only saying this cause I have him for one more day).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Philoumenos said:

It's weird because last year he adjusted for lift, and then he changed back this year at the start of the season, and then changed again now. I don't know what Mabry is good for, but it can't be much.

Ok,  this is just crazy analysis to me.  

Hitting is hard.  Just taking a few months out and working on "adjusting for lift" and expecting it to be all sunshine and rainbows after... isn't how this usually works.  

For all we know,  the swing never changed back at all,  he just had some timing issues.  Possibly he's getting worked differently now. Could be a million factors.  Simply checking his statcast angle day by day isn't going to give the whole story.  

To really get the answer here you'd have to have video of every swing,  plus be able to ask him what he was thinking/how feeling at those times.  You know,  like what his mlb hitting coach is doing daily.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

Ok,  this is just crazy analysis to me.  

Hitting is hard.  Just taking a few months out and working on "adjusting for lift" and expecting it to be all sunshine and rainbows after... isn't how this usually works.  

For all we know,  the swing never changed back at all,  he just had some timing issues.  Possibly he's getting worked differently now. Could be a million factors.  Simply checking his statcast angle day by day isn't going to give the whole story.  

To really get the answer here you'd have to have video of every swing,  plus be able to ask him what he was thinking/how feeling at those times.  You know,  like what his mlb hitting coach is doing daily.  

No s--- hitting is hard, I wasn't really analyzing anything anyhow, lmao. It was just an observation based on:

1) His groundball and flyball rates swapping by around 6% this year

2) My massive, unending disdain for the Cardinals' MLB coaching staff, especially John Mabry.

I never claimed to be making a super deep analysis here, it's just an opinion based on my watching the team regularly.

If you want a more thoughtful explanation on why the groundball percent rose this year, I think the league adjusted to him and identified a weakness based on his size/body which resulted in them giving him more pitches that would be driven into the ball when hit. Which probably resulted in an altered swing angle which he now in turn is adjusting back on. 

7 hours ago, Philoumenos said:

No s--- hitting is hard, I wasn't really analyzing anything anyhow, lmao. It was just an observation based on:

1) His groundball and flyball rates swapping by around 6% this year

2) My massive, unending disdain for the Cardinals' MLB coaching staff, especially John Mabry.

I never claimed to be making a super deep analysis here, it's just an opinion based on my watching the team regularly.

If you want a more thoughtful explanation on why the groundball percent rose this year, I think the league adjusted to him and identified a weakness based on his size/body which resulted in them giving him more pitches that would be driven into the ball when hit. Which probably resulted in an altered swing angle which he now in turn is adjusting back on. 

Even the secret weapon?? Nothing to complain about there!

14 hours ago, Philoumenos said:

It's weird because last year he adjusted for lift, and then he changed back this year at the start of the season, and then changed again now. I don't know what Mabry is good for, but it can't be much.

It's called in game adjustments.  It's actually possible for some players.

With 20-10 qualifications, Magnifico ranks 3rd at  1b. It's painfully obvious (at this moment in time)from a quick glance that you should have either drafted Freddie Freeman or have waited on first base.

Numbers 2-14 aren't all that different. One scorching hot week from the number 14 guy could put him at number 2 for the season.

• Like 1

Thank you Magnifico, may we have another?!

• Like 1

Is it just me or is he noticeably swinging more upwards at the ball during his hot streak? Fixed his LA perhaps...

• Like 3

Man, I'm gonna regret this.

Willingly eating crow for the rest of the season over here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DannyMcPot said:

Hottest player in baseball???

Him and Goldschmidt are the two who have been ridiculous this past week or so. 

Sure wish I'd drafted him. Right out of the gate I knew I done f'ed up.

He will be the fantasy MVP for many champs this year.

He's so locked in right now. I think he has 1 K in his last 8 games or so. Sporting a nice 26:34 / BB:K for the year.

1 hour ago, kwelch said:

He's so locked in right now. I think he has 1 K in his last 8 games or so. Sporting a nice 26:34 / BB:K for the year.

Those are pre-prime Miggyish or Pujolsish ratios.

Posted (edited)

Now 2nd on the player rater at 1b with some separation from 3, but Freeman is a huge gap away at 1

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

6 Multi hit games.....73.3% Hard Contact Rate.......531 AVG...5 HR....11 RBI.....Not a bad first 11 days of June for Mr Martinez!

• Like 2